Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa
Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Pat Ryan White.
R. Haines, residing on section 26, Trenton Township, Henry Co., Iowa is a native
of Champaign County, Ohio, born March 13, 1831, and is a son of Job and Mary
(Black) Haines, the former a native of New Jersey, and the latter of
Pennsylvania. They were pioneers of this county, locating on a rented farm in
Tippecanoe Township in 1838, where they remained for two years.
Job Haines entered a farm of 160 acres on section 26, Trenton Township,
where he made his home until his death, which occurred in the winter of 1856,
when sixty-one years of age.
At his death he owned 230 acres of land.
He was a man who took great interest in political affairs.
He and his wife were both members of the Methodist Protestant Church.
She died in December, 1864.
They reared a family of eleven children, all of whom yet live:
Charity, wife of Allen Jay, now in the Indian Territory; Mary Jane, wife
of Joseph Hay, a resident of Trenton Township; Joseph, of Mills County, Iowa is
a farmer; Elizabeth, wife of Mell Petty, now a resident of Dakota; Sarah, wife
of Obed Ward, resides in Dakota; Barbara Ellen, wife of Arthur Clarkson, of
Mills County, Iowa; Jonathan, also a resident of Mills County, Iowa, and Jerusha
Susan, wife of Asbury Ford, of this township.
subject grew to manhood upon a farm in this county, receiving his education at
the district schools.
At the age of twenty-one he began working as a farm hand, continuing for
a year, and for several years afterward rented farms.
His first purchase of land consisted of sixty acres on Mud Creek.
Samuel R. Haines was united in marriage February 22, 1857 with Eliza Jane
Mercer, a native of Guernsey County, Ohio, where she was born Nov. 8, 1837, and
is a daughter of Hiram and Barbara (Miller) Mercer, both of whom were natives of
This young couple began their domestic life on the estate of his father,
he buying the interest of the other heirs, until he owned the place, adding to
this until he now has 374 acres all told; they have one of the finest residences
in the township, it being erected at a cost of $2,200.
His principal business is raising stock, shipping a carload per year.
Mr. and Mrs. Haines are members of the Methodist Protestant Church, in
which they are earnest workers.
Among the citizens of Henry County none stand higher in the esteem and
confidence of all than this worthy couple.
Mr. Haines affiliates with the Republican party.
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Haines:
Mary Agnes died when ten months old; Eliza, wife of George Golston (sic)
[Gholson], of Trenton; John William is a farmer of Warren County, Neb.; Melvina
died in childhood; Jonathan, a resident of Warren County, Neb.; Martha A., wife
of Richard Lane of this county; Ada Belle died when sixteen months old; Charlie
resides in Warren County, Neb.; Carrie still lives with her parents; Samuel died
at age of four; Seneth and Hanna, yet inmates of the paternal mansion; Geneva
died in childhood, and Barbara Ellen is yet living with her parents.
There is no Warren Co NE.
I think it should say Wayne Co NE.]
of the prominent citizens and early settlers of Henry Co., he resides on
Sect. 2, Scott Twp., and was born in Delaware Co., NY, Nov. 27, 1842. His
parents, J. B. and Margaret (Fleming) Harkness, emigrated to Berry County
MI in 1852, and two years later came to Henry County, making this their
home until the time of their death. Six children blessed the union: Mary
E. the wife of A. I. Beam, of Woodson Co., KS; Margaret A. married William
Bennett a resident of Scott Twp.; W. R., the subject; James E., resident
of Union Co., IA; Sarah J., wife of Dr. B. B. Shockey, a physician of
Scotia, NE; and George T., residing in Yates Center, NE.
politics, J. B. Harkness was a Democrat, strong in his convictions and he
and his wife were Presbyterians. Mr. Harkness died 1881, his wife
surviving until 1886.
Harkness came with his family in 1854, He was reared here, and received
his education in the common schools and at Howe's Academy. He enlisted in
Co. H, 45 Iowa Vol. Inf. in 1864. He was mustered into service in Keokuk,
and then went to Benton Barracks, St. Louis, and then preceded to Memphis,
TN. While at Moscow, TN, he did guard duty on the railroad, being in the
16th Corps. Serving until the end of the war, he was mustered out at
Keokuk in 1865.
1868 me married Mary E. Thompson, who was born in Ohio, Jan. 27, 1848.
They have had five children: Mary, Eva, and William Glenn, deceased;
Maggie L., Lois and Elmo.
Harkness cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, He has held
the office of Trustee of his Twp. He is a member of the Mort Hobart Post,
G.A.R.. He and his wife are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
They reside on a fine farm of 80 acres.
bio says five children, but six are listed. Perhaps Mary should be Mary
was born in Virginia, March 5th, 1808, the son of Boland and Margaret
(Keller) Hatton. His family were residents of Virginia for several
generations. He moved with his parent to Noble Co., OH in his youth and
began his career as a publisher and editor of the Guernsey Times. He next
published the Cadiz Republican.
was married at Barnesville, OH., May 26,1834 to Miss Sarah Green, daughter
of Allen and Mary (Nicklin) Green. Mrs. Hatton was born in Virginia and
went to Ohio in childhood with her parents. Ten children were born to
them, six daughters and four sons: Mary A. born May 22, 1836, the wife of
J. L. McGregor, a hardware merchant of Mt. Pleasant; Margaret E. was born
June 21, 1838, and is the widow of the Rev.E. W. Brady, and resides in Mt.
Pleasant; Sarah Jane, twin sister of Mrs. Brady, died in infancy, July 12,
1838; Lavina, born in 1839, died in Aug. 1841; Caroline, born Mar. 16,
1842 is the wife of G. W. McAdam of the Mt.
Pleasant Journal; Alcinda, born in 1844, died in Sept. 1846. Frank
born April 26, 1846; Allen was born Dec. 27, 1850; Harry born Dec. 1852,
married Nellie Stickney.
Hatton moved with his family from Cadiz, OH to Mt. Pleasant in 1866, when
he bought the Journal office. He continued to edit and publish the Journal
up to the time of his fatal illness. His death occurred Nov. 5, 1869. He
was an earnest Republican.
of the early settlers of Henry Co., Iowa, he was born in Ireland in 1792.
When a young man he came to America and located in Oneida Co., NY. He
married Achsah Ingram, and in 1850 they moved to McDonough Co., IL, then
to Henry County in 1856, settling on Sect. 18, Scott Twp.
was an enthusiastic Republican and gave six of his sons for the service of
his country. They were the parents of 8 children, who grew to maturity:
Frederick enlisted in Co. F, 17th IA Vol. Inf., served but a short time
and was discharged for disability; Milo enlisted in the 124th IL Vol.
Inf., and is now pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Mt.
Pleasant; Harriet became the wife of Hugh Wilson of McDonough Co., IL;
William K. enlisted in the 1st IA Infantry, Co. F, and three months
afterward became a member of the 17th IA Vol. Inf., serving until the
close of the war, participating in all the engagements of the Regiment, he
is now a carpenter residing in Mt. Pleasant; Franklin was a member ofthe
1st. IA Vol. Inf., and when at the end of his term of service he
re-enlisted in the 17th., until the close of the war; Mortimer became a
member of Co. G, 11th IA Vol. Inf., and was killed at the battle of
Shiloh, being the first to fall from Scott Twp. The G.A.R. Post of
Winfield took its name from him; Joseph was also a member of the 17th IA
Inf. Co. F. He engaged in the following: Iuka, Sept. 19, 1862, second
battle of Corinth, Oct. 4, 1862, Ft. Gibson, May 10, 1862, Raymond, also
in May 1862, Champion Hills, May 16, 1862, the siege and capture of
Vicksburg, where he was under fire for forty-six days, Missionary Ridge,
in Nov. 1863, Tilton, GA, where his regiment defending a bridge against
Hood, was captured. He, with his Regt. was taken to Catawba, remaining
there two weeks, then to Savannah, where they were run down to Blackshire,
in the Oak Fire Swamp for two weeks. Sherman was following them up and
they were taken down the gulf road to Thomasville, then to Andersonville,
where they were confined from Dec. 25th until Apr. 28th following,
suffering the most horrible of hardships of that prison. While in prison,
the war closed and Mr. Hobart was set at liberty. He returned to Davenport
where he was mustered out May 28, 1865, and returned home to Henry Co.
the 8th child of William Hobart is the wife of Isaac Byers, of Lincoln,
Hobart died in Mt. Pleasant, IA in 1873, and his wife is still living in
McDonough Co., IL
Hobart married in 1867 to Miss Anna Wilson, the daughter of Jacob and
Matilda (Marsh) Wilson, both natives of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Hobart had
seven children: Alice, b. Oct. 26, 1868; Rozelma, b. Dec. 9, 1870; Ada b.
Mar. 15, 1872; Franklin b. Apr. 27, 1874; Viola b. Mar. 3, 1877; Corda b.
Nov. 5, 1879; and Georgia, b. July 31, 1883.
Hobart has a fine farm of 80 acres on Sect. 18, of Scott Twp. He is a
member of the G.A.R. Post and Commander of the same. He is a staunch
Republican, and is serving his 2nd term as Assessor.
is one of the earliest settlers of Henry Co. IA and was born in Morgan Co.
IN, in 1835His parents are William and Sarah (Dyson) Hobson, natives of
North Carolina, who emigrated at an early day to Ohio, where they lived
five years, subsequently removing to Morgan Co. IN, residing there until
the fall of 1839, then emigrated to Henry Co., IA settling on Section 22
of Tippecanoe Twp. Here the father bought 160 acres of raw land and
engaged in farming until the time of his death, which occurred in 1869.
Mrs. Hobson is still living in Albia, Iowa. She was born Jan. 10, 1800.
Mr. and Mrs. Hobson had a family of nine children: Corwin, who died at
Hannibal, MO, was a cooper by trade, and had an extensive business;
Elmira, wife of Charles Lyons, residing in Sedgwick Co., KS; George, now
living in Jefferson Co., IA; Mary, the deceased wife of James Nichols, of
Mercer Co., IL; John, now living in Jewell Co., KS, was one of the brave
boys in blue who fought so valiantly during the late Rebellion; Edwin of
Henry county; Samuel departed this life in Albia, IA, he was a merchant,
and served as a soldier during the late Rebellion; Eliza, deceased;
Calvin, a merchant in Clarinda, Page Co., IA, was a soldier in the Iowa
subject was reared on the farm where he now lives, and was educated at the
district schools. He has lived her continuously since the year 1839, then
emigrated to Henry County, settling on Section 22, except for two years
which he spent in Lee Co., IA, where he was engaged in farming. He was
united in marriage Aug 16, 1856 to Many Winslow, native of North
Carolina, and daughter of John and Mary (Smithers) Winslow. Mr. and Mrs.
Winslow came to this county in 1850, settling in Salem Twp., where they
lived until 1874. Removing then to Cowley Co., KS, at which place they
both departed this life, the mother in 1881, and the father in 1882. They
were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
and Mrs. Hobson have been the parents of four children: Flora Ellen, b.
Nov. 13, 1858, is the wife of Emerson Martin, and now living in Winfield,
KS; Elmira, b. Apr 14, 1861, is the wife of H. C. Cooper, of Salem Twp.;
Nolan C., born May 14, 1863, died in infancy; Edgar, b. May 11, 1874, is
and Mrs. Hobson are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Hobson
politically belongs to the Union Labor party.
Elam Hockett, one of the prominent and
representative farmers of Henry County, was born in Salem Township, in
this county, on the 18th of November, 1846, and is the son of Jehu and
Hannah (Frazier) Hockett, both of whom are natives of Indiana, and were
among the first settlers of Henry County, Iowa.
They came to this county when it was hardly more than a wilderness,
while yet the deer might be seen on the prairies, or the wolf be heard
howling at night. Edward Hockett, the grandfather of our subject, came to this
county in 1834, and was the father of ten children, of whom the second was
Jehu, the father of our subject, who reared a family of twelve children,
all of whom are now living.
Mr. Elam Hockett was the eldest of this
family, and was reared upon the farm where he now lives, on section 36,
Tippecanoe Township. He
attended a private school, the district not yet being organized, and at
that time the county was very thinly settled.
On the 21st of February, 1869, he formed a matrimonial alliance
with Miss Sarah E. Stephenson, a native of Wayne County, Ind.
They were the parents of five children: Mary Ellen, who is now the
wife of M.H. Doan, of this county; Alfonso, Elnora, Fred and Edgar are at
Mr. Hockett in early life learned the carpenter's trade, which business he now carries on in connection with general farming. He and wife belong to the Society of Friends, and are always ready to lend a helping hand to the needy, and to comfort the afflicted. In politics Mr. Hockett holds very liberal views.
CHARLES S. HOWE is a dealer in staple and fancy groceries, west side of Square, Mt. Pleasant , Iowa . He was born in Cincinnati , Ohio , Sept. 16, 1846 , and is the son of Joseph and Fanny E. (Marsh) Howe. The father was born in Tuscarawas County , Ohio , June 21, 1819 , while his mother was born in Cincinnati , Ohio , Nov. 22, 1823 . The parents removed to Los Angeles , Cal. , in 1877, where his mother still resides. His father died there May 2, 1883 . The family, including Charles S., removed from Ohio to Taylorville , Ill. , in 1852, and from there to Mt. Pleasant , Iowa , in 1854. Charles learned the tinner's trade in this city, and opened a shop in that line in 1868, at Marshall , now Wayland , Iowa . Shortly afterward he started in business with his father in a general store at Marshall , and carried on the business until 1870, when they returned to Mt. Pleasant , moving the stock of goods to this place. He continued in business with his father until 1875, and in May of that year he sold out to his father and was employed as a clerk till 1878, when he formed a partnership with S. and L.W. Sutton in the grocery trade, under the firm name of Howe & Sutton. This connection continued from Sept. 1, 1878 , till April, 1884, when Mr.Howe purchased his partner's interest, and has since conducted the business alone.
Charles S. Howe was married at Mt. Pleasant , June 6, 1872 , to Miss Mary Sutton, daughter of Philip Sutton, a native of Greene County , Ohio . Four children were born of their marriage, three of whom are now living: Charles R., born July 14, 1873 ; Frank S., born Nov. 24, 1875 ; Laura E., born Oct. 6, 1880 ; Bert, born Sept. 22, 1884 , died Sept. 25, 1884 . Mrs. Howe died May 10, 1885 . Mr. Howe was married again, Jan. 2, 1887 , at Mt. Pleasant , to Miss Nina Abbe, a daughter of Henry D. Abbe, and a native of Henry County, Iowa. Her father was a soldier in the late war, and was one of the early settlers of Henry County . Mr. and Mrs. Howe are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Howe is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of Xenium Lodge No. 207, of Mt. Pleasant .
Rev. Samuel Hutton, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Henry County, Iowa. He was born near Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1785, and while yet a young man, went with his parents to Tennessee, near Nashville, where he grew to manhood. On the 25th of December, 1814, he was united in marriage with Polly Levy. After their marriage they remained in Tennessee seven years, Mr. Hutton in the meantime being engaged in farming. In 1821 they left Tennessee and went to Sangamon, Ill, and were numbered among the pioneers of that county. They remained there until 1835 and then removed to Henry County, Iowa, thus being pioneers of two States. Mr. Hutton first came to this county with his three sons and made a claim on section 8, Center Township, where he built a log cabin, into which he moved his family in the following fall. At this time there were but a few families in Henry County, and those who were here had great difficulty in making their living. During the first two years their corn was ground by a horse-mill, though at times the family were compelled to use a grater for the purpose of grinding their corn. Soon after their arrival Presley Saunders built a store at Mt. Pleasant,where they obtained their principal supply of groceries. The Indians were constantly passing to and from Burlington, where they received their annuity from the General Government. Wild game of all kinds abounded and wolves were plenty.
Mr. Hutton was a member of the Old-School Baptist Church, and while in Illinois was licensed to preach and for many years was actively engaged in the Christian ministry. He was the first Baptist minister in Henry County, and was instrumental in the organization of the Baptist Church. The first meetings of this denomination were held at his house. For many years he was pastor of the Old-School Baptist Church in Mt. Pleasant, and contributed his labor as long as he was able. When Jefferson County was organized Mr. Hutton was elected one of the Commissioners to locate the county seat. The choice of the Commissioners was accepted by the county, and the site selected is that of the present city of Fairfield. Mr. Hutton was a man of more than ordinary ability, and had received a liberal education for that day. In the neighborhood where he resided he was the chief adviser of the people, who came to him in troubles both spiritual and temporal. Of his family of nine children, all lived to be adults: Benjamin F., who died in Sangamon County, Ill., married Lucie Mason, by whom he had seven children, namely Thomas, Noah, Benjamin F., Jr., and Lucinda, twins, George, Marian and John. Charles, who is now living in Gentry County, Mo., married Jane Smith, by whom he had five children--Martha, Samuel, John, George and Mary. James wedded Susan Hutton, by whom he had one child, Mary E.: his wife dying he subsequently married Mary Borough, by whom he had six children--Samuel, Ellen E., George W., Stella C., Eva E. and Dora A.; they now reside in Oregon. Thomas, now deceased, married Elizabeth Cole, and their children are--James, Jane, Samuel, Estella and Charles. Ann married Wesley Douty, by whom she had five children--James, Benjamin F., Samuel, Hayden and Mary E.: Mr. Douty dying she subsequently married Mr. Howard and has four children-Martha, Asbury, Laura and Lewis; Mrs. Howard is now a resident of Fairfield, Iowa. Samuel married Rebecca J. Cole, and has five living children--Alzina, Cora, Bell, Harry and Clara; he is now living in St. Joe, Mo. Mary J. is the widow of Robert Cole, and now resides in Mt. Pleasant; they have seven living children--Anna,Sarah, Laura, William, Jay, May and Minnie. Martha, now deceased, married John Stansberry, by whom she had two children--William P. and Franklin. William M. wedded Mary E. Watson, by whom he had seven living children--Charles, James, Benton, Ettie, Emma, Lillie and Alice; the second son, James, is married to Miss Minnie Pennington, of Des Moines County, Iowa, has one child, Mary Rusha, and lives in DeKalb County, Mo. William M. Hutton, the youngest of the family, now resides on the homestead in Center Township. He lived there from boyhood until 1856, when for six years he engaged in building and other business, renting the farm, to which he returned in 1862. His marriage with Miss Mary E. Watson was celebrated Sept. 26, 1861. She was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, April 4, 1841, and had lived with her parents until her marriage.
Rev. Hutton died in Mt. Pleasant Sept 12, 1857, and Mrs. Hutton March 1, 1883. Both were highly respected citizens, sincere Christians, and did all they could for their Master's cause.
James B. Watson, father of Mrs. William M. Hutton, was one of the pioneers of Van Buren County, Iowa, was a native of Kentucky and from that State moved to Sangamon County, Ill., and in 1836 to Van Buren County, Iowa. Miss Pollie Long became his wife and five children were born unto them, two of whom are living: William, now of Henry County, Ia, and James, of Van Buren County, Iowa. Mrs. Watson dying, he subsequently married Anna Carter, who was also a native of Kentucky, and by whom he had five living children: Francis M., now residing in Oregon; Pernina, wife of William H. Shelman, of Van Buren County, Iowa; Nicholas J., of Knox County, Mo.; Mary E., wife of Mr. Hutton, and Isaac N., of Knox County, Mo. To the early settlers of Van Buren and adjoining counties Mr. Watson was well known. He was a member of the Baptist Church for many years. In early life he was a Whig, with which party he continued to act until it ceased to exist, when he became a democrat and continued to act with that party until his death, which occurred in 1864. His wife Anna died about a month prior to his decease.