Henry County >> 1888 Index

Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa 
Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1888.

M


Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Pat Ryan White.

W. R. Mason

He resides on Section 5, Jefferson Twp., a prosperous farmer of Henry County. he is the only male representative of the Mason family in this county. He was born 18 Aug 1830 in Monroe County, Tennessee, and was 12 when he came to Henry County. On 21 Apr 1851, with his older brother James N. Mason, and two Moore brothers, he went in an ox-team and covered wagon to the far West country to engage in mining. There was a small skirmish with Indians at Ft. Hall on the Snake River. Their first house was made in Oregon on 21 Sept  1851. He hired out to drive cattle over the Cascade Range at $2 a day. he reached Portland and took the steamer Columbia, plying between there and San Francisco. He stopped at Milwaukee, Oregon, and worked on a dam construction, then to southern California, receiving work with the Bear River Water Co., which furnished water to miners.

Three months later he went to the mountains and began mining. He took a claim in Yolo County, 25 miles from the city. He next farmed for two years, and then in partnership with Messers. Ball and Leach, opened a mine, the Scent Diggings, which he operated for six years, and William sold out for $3000, and hired to another company for $4 a day. He then farmed in Bodega Valley for fourteen years.

He married Miss Adelia Clark who died soon after. He next returned home after 23 years.

WILLIAM MATTHEWS submitted by Christy Jay

Among the men who have materially aided in giving Salem Township the good name she bears, we learn of no one who has shared more largely than our subject, who has been a resident there for many years, and has reared a family which does honor to his name. William Matthews was born in Green County , Ky. , Sept. 1, 1810 , and is a son of William and Mary ( Taylor ) Matthews. They moved first from Kentucky to near Vincennes , Ind. Mr. Matthews, Sr., was opposed to slavery in every sense, and to live in a free State and rear his children in free schools, and to be remote from all institutions which favored the degradation of manhood, was his object in leaving Kentucky . The death of William Matthews, Sr., occurred soon after they settled in Indiana , and the widow with her children removed near Jacksonville , Ill. The eldest son, Samuel, married in Kentucky , and brought his young wife, Susan Russell, to Illinois , settling near Jacksonville , where the family settled later. The eldest daughter, Sarah, married Rev. Richard Newport, in Kentucky , and subsequently removed from that State and settled in Indiana , where probably they remained during their lifetime. The other children were: Ellen, who wedded Samuel McIntosh; Richard, who wedded Margaret Robinson; Mary became the wife of Jesse Ruble; Elizabeth wedded John R. Sparks; Margaret died in Morgan County, Ill.; Matthew married Nancy Swan, and Nancy wedded Jonathan Swan. All these children were married in Illinois . Nancy, Elizabeth Matthew and our subject came to Iowa , and all are now living except Elizabeth .

William Matthews was a single man when he came to this State to select a home in 1836, but he returned to Morgan County, Ill., and was married, October 17, 1836 , to Miss Nellie, daughter of Isaac and Margaret Holmes. His courtship and wedding deserve a brief notice, and we are pleased to give it. He was a poor lad, and his neighbor's black-eyed daughter was a coveted prize that he hoped to win. He was robust, and toiled early and late to accumulate means enough to warrant their marriage, but times were hard, and money came slowly to his purse. He went to LaSalle County , Ill. , and took a claim, and worked at any kind of a job offered him. He, however, went back once a year to see Nellie, and their vows of constancy remained as firm as when he first began to prospect for a home. Later he had a chance to sell his claim, and came to Iowa , purchasing another claim four miles from Salem , in Lee County , upon which George Ransom now lives. He returned to Illinois at once, settled his business affairs in LaSalle County , purchased a horse and a pair of saddle-bags, and with all his early possessions packed in them, mounted his horse and made his way directly to the cabin of his future father-in-law. Nancy Swan and her husband, Matthew and his wife, were just backing their wagons to remove to the Black Hawk Purchase in Iowa . After consultation with them he concluded to learn at once the state of his girl's affection for him by proposing an immediate marriage. As he was a man of exemplary habits Mr. Holmes could offer no objection to the match and the previty of the matter is the prominent part of the story. William landed in Morgan County Sunday evening, proposed and was accepted, procured his marriage license on Monday, and was married by Rev. Needham Roach, a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, on Tuesday, and on Wednesday his wife started on her wedding tour in a covered wagon, bound for Iowa, in company with those previously mentioned and the young husband followed on his horse. All that he possessed in the world was contained in his saddle-bags, and his young wife only had one feather bed, but with hearts full of love for each other and the determination to become independent, they braved all the hardships and privations of the new country, and began housekeeping with his brother-in-law Sparks .

In the spring William moved into a partly furnished cabin upon his own claim. Their first night was an introduction to the inconveniences which followed. William borrowed a yoke of cattle from Mr. Sparks, which conveyed the young bride and her bed to her new home. A dirt floor and a partly covered cabin offered no great inducements, but Mr. Matthews helped her out of the wagon with all the grace of a landlord, with the remark: 'Wife, this looks rather tough, but I presume we can make it better.' The answer of the young wife was, 'If you can stand it, I can,' and well did they succeed through almost a half century of married life. A fire was built on the floor, and from a crane suspended a supper was soon cooked and eaten. The first crop was harvested in the fall of 1838, he having seven acres in cultivation. They never went hungry, although poor, and every day seemed to provide for itself. Mr. Matthews had no time to hunt, but gave his whole attention to the development of his farm. The first team was a yoke of steers purchased on credit, also a cow sent to the young wife by her father, which made a good part of their living. His crops were good, and the second year everything looked bright.

As the days went by prosperity came, and before they knew it the debts were paid, and they began to live in a comfortable way. For seven years they lived in the old cabin, 14x16, when it was exchanged for a frame house, which still stands. He made a loom and bought a spinning-wheel, and his good wife spun the flax which he raised, and almost all their garments were grown and manufactured upon the farm. Children came to grace the old cabin home -- Richard and John -- whose shouts of childish glee made the old walls ring and brought the blush of pride to the cheeks of their parents. Both these boys grew to a noble manhood, and were brave soldiers during the late war. John was in the 25th Iowa , and Richard in another regiment. At the battle of Vicksburg , John was wounded and died later. His father brought his remains home, and they are interred in the Salem Cemetery . Richard served throughout the entire war, and is now a resident farmer of this township. His wife is Rebecca Rhodes, who has borne six children. In the frame house Samuel F., the husband of Elizabeth Boyce, and Catherine, wife of James Bicksler, were born.

Many years were spent by our subject and his family on the Lee County farm, but the advantages of schools were not very good in the county, so the parents concluded to move to Salem and educate the children, and removed there a short time before the war began. Later the children were married and settled in the vicinity of Salem, and Mr. Matthews purchased lands adjoining the village on the north, where in a roomy old house, surrounded by all that can make enjoyable a ripe old age, and with the prattle of grandchildren about him, and the knowledge of a well-spent life, his declining years are joyously spent. The loving wife and mother was laid to rest Jan. 14, 1887 . She was a noble woman, upright and true, a wife in the fullest sense and an honor to social circles. Her death was deeply mourned, but "as in Adam all die, so in Christ shall all be made alive." Her Christian virtues ever shown bright and pure before the world. She was by faith a Cumberland Presbyterian, but for thirty-five years both herself and her husband were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Salem. Almost fifty years of wedded life were passed as only those can spend them who love and revere each other, and the remembrance of such people became dear to those of their name and kindred. As pioneers we welcome them, as citizens we praise them, and as Christians we are pleased to do them honor.

The portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Matthews on adjoining pages are of two of the best known and most respected people who ever made Salem their home.

McAdam Brothers

James and William A., photographers, have been established in business at Mt. Pleasant since 1875. James, the senior partner, was born in Harrison Co., Ohio, Oct. 20, 1845, and is a son of George and Ann (Moore) McAdam, both of whom were also natives of Harrison Co., OH.

Our subject went to Wenona, Marshall Co., IL, in the spring of 1857, and in that place learned the art of photography. In the winter of 1869-70 he commenced business for him self at LaSalle, IL, but gave it up after six months, and engaged in ranching in Colorado for another six months, when he returned to Illinois and again began business this time in Wenona, where he remained in business until 1875. In that year, in company with his brother George, he started the present gallery in Mt. Pleasant, and has been engaged in business ever since, and has made many friends in business, and socially.

In business he is materially assisted by his wife who is a lady of talent and business capacity. His brother and partner takes no active part in the business in which he is successful owing to the fine class of work done, and reasonable prices charged.

June 27, 1877, James McAdam was married to Miss Agnes S. Phillips, daughter of Lt. William Phillips who was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness. Mrs. McAdam was born in Pittsburgh, PA. Mr. and Mrs. McAdam have been the parents of three children, two of whom died in infancy. The survivor is a daughter, Mary A., now nine years of age. Mr. and Mrs. McAdam are members of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics he is a supporter of the Republican party. Both are respected members of society, who are held in esteem by all who know them.

Newton McClintic

A farmer residing on section 8, Jefferson Twp., Henry County, he was born in Bartholomew Co., IN, June 11, 1836, and is the son of Alex and Anca (Bates) McClintic. They were married in Kentucky, but Alex was born in PA, his wife being a native of the former state. The father of Alex McClintic, was also named Alex, and Thomas Bates was the father of Anca Bates.

On the paternal side the ancestors came from Ireland, and on the maternal side from Germany. The father of our subject was a soldier in the War of 1812 and drew a land warrant for 160 acres of land from the Government. But little history of either family can be given, as the father of our subject died when Alex was a small boy, and Anca Bates came to Indiana from her native State with relatives, and as both are now deceased, the early history of the family died with them. They came to this state about 1839, entering a claim of one section of land, but later purchased several hundred acres more, amounting to about 1,100 in the whole farm, a part of which original entry adjoins that of our subject on the north. Daniel Eicher now owns the original tract upon which Alex McClintic settled, and the homestead site is within easy view of where Newton McClintic now lives. During his lifetime Alex and his sons improved at least 400 acres.

Mrs. McClintic died about five years after she ceme to this county. She was a most estimable lady, and the mother of nine children: John, who wedded Elizabeth Carclow, resides in Washington County, IA Jane, who married Lucas Covert, and remained in Indiana Alex, deceased, wedded for his first wife May A. Lloyd, and for his second wife Harriet Pangborne, who after his death married Henry Neft, of this county, but now resides in Missouri. Abigail, deceased, married Henry Cohee, a resident physician of Rome, Iowa, she died at Mt. Pleasant in 1881. Olive A. became the wife of Robert Scott, a farmer of Plymouth County, Iowa; Robert, deceased, wedded Martha A. Custer who after his death married

Amos Moore, of Washington Co., where they reside. Mitchell, deceased, married Hester Ann Custer, who now resides in Jefferson Township.

Our subject was the youngest of the family. He was reared , educated, married and resides in Henry County. He early learned to clear the brushy lands, and many broad acres has he grubbed and plowed making ready for the first crop. He has witnessed since boyhood the building of the towns and cities, the railroads, and the development of almost the entire county has been accomplished in his day. He remembers disctinctly when a boy the Indian tribes that for many years had hunted over the parairies, woods, fished in the streams, and though dispossessed by the whites, yet gave the newcomers a fairly cordial welcome and never molested their property.

Newton McClintic wedded Miss Ann R. Kurtz, Oct. 13, 1860. Her parents were natives of Maryland, from whence they came after marriage and settled near Lebanon, OH. They came to Iowa in 1841 and settled on Skunk River, in Henry Co., where the parents both died. Six children were born to them in Ohio, and one in this county:

Peter died unmarried; John wedded Martha Mason, and is a farmer of Jefferson Twp. Henry married Hannah Pangborne and resides in Washington County Mary wedded Nimrod Leece, a merchant of Crawfordsville, Iowa Susan became the wife of W. R. Mason, a resident of Jefferson Twp. Ann R., wife of Mr. McClintic Martha became the wife of Nimrod Long, a merchant and also post- master of Crawfordsville. These children are well known in this county, and their names should properly appear in her history.

Since his marriage Mr. McClintic has resided upon a farm. A handsome country residence was erected in 1879. They have several children, all of whom were born in this township: The eldest daughter, Margaret, is the wife of Isaac VanWagenen, a mechanic of Washington County, and they have three children--James, Alva N. and Anna. The other children of our subject are: Marietta, Anna M., Susie, Abbie, Angeline, Eva J., deceased; and and John N., twins.

100 acres of land bring Mr. McClintic a comfortable income, and they live in the cosy style which delights those of taste and culture. Mr. McClintic has long been connected with the School Board and is greatly interested in the cause of education.

OLIVER McDONALD is a farmer of Baltimore Township, Henry Co., Iowa. One of the early settlers of this State was the father of our subject, who located in Pleasant Grove Township, Des Moines County, in 1837, on land adjoining that upon which his son Oliver now resides. Originally, the McDonalds were of Scotch and Irish ancestry, and we trace their history back to Maryland, where John, father of Oliver McDonald, was born. He went to Kentucky a single man, and later wedded Mary Mahan, near Lexington, in that State. Most of their children were born in Adair County, Ky. they were: Elizabeth T., wife of Isaac Cornelius, and both now deceased; Alexander, who died single; John E., wedded to Mary L. Parrot; W. Wallace, who died in childhood; Archibald C., who died unmarried, and Oliver, of whom we write, completes the list. He is the only living representative of the family. In the spring of 1836 the family went to McDonough County, Ill., and not finding a good title to the land there open for entry, Mr. McDonald pushed on to Iowa and took the claim mentioned above, leaving his family in Illinois until the next spring. The lands are on what is known as the Black Hawk purchase, and that celebrated chief, with his band, was at Burlington when the emigrants landed in Iowa. Oliver, who was born June 3, 1828, was a lad, but being so near their village for nearly a year, he formed a personal acquaintance with many of the tribe, as well as with the chief Black Hawk. This village was a mile and a half above Burlington, at the mouth of Flint Creek, now in the city limits, and Oliver remembers well when the tribe took their final departure. Even after they had gone and came back on annual visits to Burlington to receive their annuity, boys with whom he played remembered him, as they stopped often at his father's cabin.

Familiar in every detail with pioneer life, our subject, who has lived for half a century upon the same land, has witnessed its entire development, from the first cabin to the fine farm house and substantial home which take the place of the old cabins and pole sheds of fifty years ago. The death of his mother occurred when Oliver was only six months old, and his father, who loved her with all the fervor that a fond husband can love, remained true to her memory. His daughter Elizabeth was her father's housekeeper until her marriage, and then his sister, Maria McDonald, remained with him during his lifetime. He died in 1854 in his seventy-first year, and his remains were interred at Pleasant Grove Cemetery in Baltimore Township.

Oliver McDonald, the same year, was married to Miss Ann R. Algeo, of Des Moines County. She is the daughter of John and Ann (Stewart) Algeo, and the paternal ancestors were of Irish origin. They came from Wellsburg, Va., where she was born, and the family removed to this State about 1847. John Algeo went to California in 1850, and died in a mining camp. After her daughter, Eugenie Archer, and her husband, decided to go to California, Mrs. Algeo resolved to accompany them, and in that State her death occurred later. She was the mother of six children: Thomas, John, Ann R., Eugenie, William and Ridgeley. Four of these are now living: John wedded Louisa Harlan; Eugenie married John Archer; Ridgeley was married in California and lives there, and Ann is the wife of our subject, and was born Dec. 29, 1837.

After the death of his father and the other heirs, Mr. McDonald and his brother, John E., purchased the old homestead, and our subject now owns the original site where stood the pioneer cabin. The domestic life of the young couple was begun on the same tract, and the same residence to-day is the one in which, for almost thirty-five years, they have lived the happiest of lives. Four children have blessed their union: John E. and William Edgar, who are single; Anna B., wife of Seneca Kelley, a farmer of New London Township, and Milton, the husband of Ivenette Williams, residing in Danville Township, Des Moines County.

The family circle remains intact, and in a cosy home, with all that makes life worth living, and with children of whom they have every reason to feel proud, the historian leaves the subject of this sketch, who has been an industrious and fortunate man, and has accumulated since he began life for himself, 280 acres of very desirable land. Neither he nor his father have ever desired or ever held public office, but as citizens, gentlemen, and kindly neighbors, few men have greater credit. Mr. and Mrs. McDonald are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Pleasant Grove, of which he has been Steward and Class-Leader, and is now a Trustee. Socially he is a member of Charity Lodge No. 56, I.O.O.F., of New London, and in politics has been a life-long Democrat.

AMOS McMILLAN was born in York County, Pa., in the year 1805, and is a son of George and Rebecca (Cutler) McMillan. George McMillan was born and married in Pennsylvania, and during his lifetime was a farmer in York County. The McMillans were Friends, and their ancestors came from England. Their children were George, Eli, Susan, Amos, Jesse and Elisha. All the children came to this State and county, and all except the youngest and Jesse were married in Pennsylvania. George and Eli came first to Iowa about 1837, settling near Franklin, Lee County. They each entered lands, and were followed by the brothers Elisha, Jesse and Amos. All the sons entered lands, and they were purchased at the first land sale held at Burlington, by Eli, for the entire party. George was the first one married, Elizabeth Brunton becoming his wife. They brought with them to Iowa several children, and Eli, who was a bachelor, returned to Pennsylvania after they had located, and was married to Miss Caroline Vail. When they returned to Iowa Elisha, then a single man, accompanied them. He subsequently became the husband of Caroline Brown, of Franklin, Lee County. Her father was an early settler of that county, and a well-known and prominent man. Susan became the wife of Edward Wickersham, in Pennsylvania. He was for many years a farmer in Lee County, where he reared a large family of children. At the time of his death he was worth $100,000. Jesse also married a Brunton, Lydia, a cousin to his brother's wife. Amos was first wedded to Hannah Armitage, who bore ten children--Charles, George, Eliza, Jesse, Henry, Susan, Mary, and three who died in infancy. Four of these are living, and are all married except Charles. Jesse became the husband of Elizabeth Hill, and resides at Primrose, Iowa. Henry wedded Mary Hoover; they are both deceased, having left one son and two daughters. Susan is the wife of John Lewis, a farmer. Mr. Lewis was educated for the priesthood, but later determined to be a farmer. The death of Mrs. McMillan, mother of the children mentioned, occurred in Lee County. At that time they resided on a fine farm, and the future was bright before them, but sorrow and bereavement come to all, but Mr. McMillan found comfort in the love and care of his children. Sevilla Andrews became his second wife, and was the mother of ten children: Elizabeth I., wife of Sylvanus Bonnal, a soldier during the Civil War, now a farmer of Lee County; Sarah K., wife of Alexander Kreger, who died from the effects of wounds received at Pittsburg Landing. She was the mother of one son by him, and afterward became the wife of Watson S. Kester, of this county. Arthur wedded Annie Carpenter; Lydia A. is the wife of Levi Gregory, a minister of the Friends in Salem; Hannah died at the age of seventeen; Eunice is the wife of William Hagan, of Keokuk County, and Florence wedded Albert Banta. Five children died in infancy. The death of his second wife occurred in Lee County, and he selected for his third wife Mrs. Sylvia Garretson, who was the daughter of Abijah and Elizabeth (Bailey) Johnson, of Oskaloosa. Her father was a merchant of that city, and was formerly in business at Waynesville, Warren Co., Ohio. His father, Micajah, was a very wealthy and noted man in Warren County, Ohio, of which he was one of the first settlers, and David Bailey, her maternal grandfather, was equally well known, and was one of the earliest settlers of Clinton County, Ohio. On both sides the families were Friends, and were in their respective neighborhoods the first of their religion. David Bailey for more than forty-eight years never missed a quarterly meeting, and both men were exhorters and active members of the Society of Friends. Abijah Johnson had five sons and three daughters. All received their education in Lafayette, Ind., Mr. Johnson for several years being a resident of that vicinity. All these children have become noted. J. Kelly Johnson is District Judge, and resides in Oskaloosa; Eliza, daughter of Dr. J.P. Gruwell, became his wife. M.D. Johnson is a wholesale merchant of Los Angeles, Cal., and is married to Miss Sue Avery, a native of Boston, Mass.; Overton A. Johnson, a dry-goods merchant at Oskaloosa, Iowa, wedded Lida Kemper, of Oskaloosa, Iowa; Warren C., unmarried, also resides in Oskaloosa, where he owns and operates a machine-shop. Henry is a merchant of Los Angeles, Cal., and is married; Rebecca is the wife of William Ransom, of Salem, one of the wealthy men of this county; for many years she was a teacher in the city schools of Oskaloosa. Annie is unmarried and resides with her brother in California, and has been for some time engaged in teaching music.

Mrs. Sylvia McMillan is a cultured lady, and received her education at Earlham College, Ind. In becoming the wife of Amos McMillan she assumed the duties of a wife and mother, and nobly has she fulfilled for sixteen years her trust. The children of the first and second wives have been cared for as tenderly as if they were her own, and in return she is the recipient of their love and affection in the highest degree, and is proud of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of her husband. Our subject is the only one of his name now a resident of this county. He has been a liberal father to his children, and in the pleasant mansion where we now write are assembled four generations of this family. He lives at ease, surrounded by all that comes to those who have diligently labored to earn a competence for old age. Each of his children were presented by him with $2,000 cash, and some of them have become very wealthy, and Charles is a large land-owner. The children are all well educated, Charles and Jesse at West Point, Iowa, and the children of the first wife at Earlham College, near Richmond, Ind. The children of the second wife were educated at Whittier's College, in Salem. The family with one exception are members of the Society of Friends, and all who are in reach of it attend the Salem Monthly and Quarterly Meeting.

The portrait of Mr. McMillan, on a preceding page, shows him at his advanced age to be a man of more than ordinary capacity, both physically and mentally, and a true representative of the best class of Henry County's citizens.

John Melton is one of the early and honored settlers of Henry County, and was born in Virginia, a son of Allen Melton. His mother died when he was only five years old. he was reared upon a farm, being bound out to a farmer until he grew to manhood. When about twenty-one years of age, John Melton let to the marriage altar, Miss Phoebe Heston, who was born in Pennsylvania, and was a daughter of Phineas and Sarah Heston. Shortly after his marriage, he with his young wife, emigrated to Ohio where they lived for a number of years. Thence he went to Warren County, Indiana where he stayed several years.

In 1839, Mr. Melton removed to Henry County, which place he made his home until his death. He took up his residence upon a farm in Center Township, remaining there until 1853 when he removed to Sect. 36, Tippecanoe Township.

Twelve children graced the union of John and Phoebe (Heston) Melton, only three of whom are yet living: John, a miner residing in California,; Mrs. Alfred Doan; and Isaac, a farmer, now living in Republic County, Kansas. 

When the Republic party came into existence, Mr. Melton found the principles enunciated by its leaders were in accordance with those he had held, and therefore acted with it until he departed this life in October 1870, his wife also dying in the same month of the same year. She was a member of the society of Friends, and though Mr. Melton was not a church member, his integrity and uprightness were undoubted. He was a large land-holder in this county and one of its best citizens.

William Melton is one of the prominent and representative farmers of this county. He was born in Warren County, Indiana, and in that county his  boyhood days were spent. He received his early education in the common schools of his native State, and in the year 1858 came west, locating in Henry County, where he resided a short time with his uncle. In the meantime he became acquainted with Miss Sarah Wilson, the acquaintance ripened into love, and in October 1859 he led her to the altar.

Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson were among the earliest settlers of the county. On the 29th of February 1836 at the home of Mr. John Wilson Mrs. Melton, the first white child of Henry County was born. Mrs. Melton has a most wonderful head of  hair, being at the present time, long enough to drag upon the floor, and at one time before being cut off, it measured seven feet and three inches.

Mrs. Melton is a woman of good address and fine intellect. The hospitable door of the home always stands open, and both husband and wife are always ready to welcome the weary traveler. In their  home, love for each other and their fellowman reigns supreme, and those simple but powerful gifts, a kind word and a cheery smile, are ready for all.

Soon after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Melton went to Warren County, Indiana, where they remained  for  twenty-five years, until hearing of Mr. Wilson's sickness, when they returned home, staying with him until his death.

JOHN T. MESSER, residing on section 17, Trenton Township, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, Jan. 21, 1834, and is the son of Hiram and Barbara (Miller) Messer. His father was a native of Fayette County, Pa., and was the son of Job and Sarah (Green) Messer. He was one of a family of eight children, five boys and three girls—Israel, Hiram, James, John, Reason, Mariam, Harriet and Jane, and was reared on a farm. With the exception of a few years, when he was engaged in running a still for Andy Craig in his native State, he spent his entire life in farming. In 1839 he emigrated with his family to Henry County, Iowa, settling on section 17, Trenton Township, where he resided till his death, which occurred April 12, 1871. His farm originally consisted of 371 acres.

John T. Messer was reared on the farm on which he now resides. He was married, Jan. 28, 1855, to Senith Black, a native of Champaign, Ohio. Her father was Samuel Black, one of the pioneers of Henry County. By this union six children have been born: Samuel Hiram, a farmer of Trenton Township; Albert Mitchell, also a farmer residing in Trenton Township; Anna Bell married George Black and lives in Trenton Township; James W., at home; Geneva Frances, born July 8, 1871, died at the age of three; and an infant. Assisted by his good wife Mr. Messer has made all he possesses. By good management and close attention to business he has gained a competence, and now owns 200 acres of finely improved land. He is a practical farmer, and everything on the farm denotes thrift and enterprise. Mrs. Messer’s father, Samuel Black, departed this life July 22, 1865.

MILLER MESSER is a farmer and stock-raiser of Henry County, Iowa, residing on section 17, Trenton Township, where he owns 120 acres of land, all under a fine state of cultivation. He is a son of Hiram Messer, and was born in this county in 1848. His father came to Henry County in 1839, locating on the farm where Miller now lives. The boyhood days of our subject were spent upon the farm on which he now resides. He received his education at the district school, and in 1870 was united in marriage with Miss Adeline Miller. She is the daughter of William Miller, and is a native of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Messer have been the parents of two children: Henry, who was taken from them by death at the age of three; and Layura May. He is one of the stalwart supporters of the Republican party, and has never swerved in his allegiance to the same. His business is that of general farming and stock-raising, and among the young business men of the county, Mr. Messer ranks with the first.

William S. Millspaugh

He is the proprietor of the Millspaugh Mill of Trenton, and was born in Shelby Co., OH in 1844, the son of Harvey and Sarah A.(Kyle) Millspaugh, the father a native of Orange Co., NY, and the mother of Clermont Co., Ohio. The parents of Harvey Millspaugh, James and Cynthia (Corwin) Millspaugh, were of German descent. They came to this county in 1856, and settled in Mt. Pleasant for 2 years and then moved to Tippecanoe Twp. Harvey and his wife were both of the Missionary Church. He was a miller by trade. He always cast his vote with the Republican party. He held the office of Assessor in Ohio.

Mr. and Mrs. Millspaugh had seven children, four of whom are living: John R., the owner of a sawmill in Gunnicon, CO; Electa resided with our subject; William S.; and Thomas, who is in CO with his brother John. Those who died are: George W., who died Dec. 29, 1885; Harvey died at the age of twenty-one; and Elizabeth, the deceased wife of Thomas McCall of Montana Territory. Mr. Millspaugh died May 28, 1861 at the age of 53. His wife still survives him and finds a happy home with our subject.

William Millspaugh was twelve when he came with his parents to this county. he lerned the miller's trade and been engaged in that business nearly ever since.

On the 22nd of Jan., 1885 he married to Mary Rivey, a native of Jefferson Co., IA, the daughter of Peter and Permelia (Draw) Rivey, both natives of France. They had one child, a daughter named Ethel who was born Dec. 31, 1886.

The Star Mill owned by Mr. Millspaugh was erected in 1879, and has a capacity of 6 bushels of wheat per hour, and ten bushels of corn. It is a water-power mill.

Mr. Millspaugh was reared in the Baptist Church.

Ira R. Mitchell

He was born in Tioga Co., PA on July 3, 1803, the son of Ensign and Lucy (Hubbard) Mitchell. Ensign was born, married and reared in Massachusetts. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and enlisted as a drummer boy at age 15. Ira's grandfather was also named Ensign Mitchell and served at the same time, both spending five years in the war. After the marriage of Ensign Mitchell, Jr., they went to NY and later to Tioga Co., PA.

Ira Sr. was 6 years of age when the family went to Ohio. They went down the Ohio River from Pitts- burg to Cincinnati. Permanent location was made in Champaign Co., OH, near Mechanicsburg, and for many years Ira was a resident of Darby Plains in that county., and where he married Dec. 12, 1826 to Miss Jane Rhodes. She was the daughter of John and Sarah (Brittin) Rhodes, both of Welsh origin. They resided in Champaign Co. before Ohio was even a state. John Rhodes was the first man to invent a mowing machine, and to obtain a patent he rode a horse from Ohio to Washington D.C.

There were 11 children in the Mitchell family, all who reached maturity, married and reared families. Some reached almost 100 years of age. Only two of the children are living today: Ira Jr., and Abizar, b. 1807, resides Madison Co., OH, a stock raiser, and is one of the oldest citizens of that county.

Ira and wife went to Miami Co. in 1834, where a tract of 500 acres was entered in the Pottawatomie Indian reservation. He dealt largely in cattle. Three children were born in Ohio: Sarah, who died at 9 years of age; Abigail, who married Welcome  Walker, resident of Salem; Ovid H., who married  Amanda Sittin and resides Springfield, MO. Children who were born in Miami Co., Indiana: Ira R. Jr., a farmer of Salem Twp., who married Lida Green; Lucy married H. H. Hess, she is now deceased; Elizabeth, who married H. H. Hess after her sister's death; John E., resident of Salem, patentee of a washer bearing his name, and who married Elma Henderson. Frances M., husband of Annie Kittle, (dau. of William Kittle, a hotel man.); and Leonard, the youngest child, who resides in Salem, and who married Ella Murphy, died Oct 23, 1887; Claudius the last child, also born in IN, died when 2 and a half years old.

Sons Ira and John were both in the Civil War. Ira was a Sergeant. They were in Co.I, 14th Iowa. They were both taken prisoner at Shiloh, confined first at Memphis, then Mobile, and Macon, Georgia. Ira was an inmate at Libby Prison. He weighed 155 pounds when captured, and only 70 pounds when released. John was paroled at Macon, GA. He was nineteen when he enlisted.

DANIEL MORLEY, residing on section 20, Scott Township, Henry Co., Iowa, is one of the pioneer settlers of the county. Where now stand cities and villages, and where are fine farms upon which are elegant residences, then as far as eye could see stretched a vast prairie. In 1839 there was an abundance of wild game, and even deer were plentiful, but now the progress of civilization has changed all this, and Henry County ranks among the first of the State. At the time when Daniel Morley took up his residence in this county he was but fourteen years old. His birthplace was Washington County, Pa., the date of his birth being May 12, 1825. His father, John Morley, was of English descent though born in Maryland, and his mother, Grace (Smith) Morley, was born in Pennsylvania of Dutch and English ancestry. The whole life of John Morley was spent as a tiller of the soil. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and received his Master's summons to the heavenly home Sept. 20, 1885, when eighty-six years of age. The mother was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died in October, 1877. They reared a family of six children: Joseph, born in December, 1820, died in Wayne County, Iowa, in January, 1887; Sarah, wife of George W. Brummit, a shoemaker of Rooks County, Kan.; next our subject; then Rhoda B., widow of John E. Linn, of New London, Iowa; Eliza D., wife of L.R. Chandler, of Center Township, and Mary F., who married Samuel Clough, of Union, Iowa.

Daniel Morley, with his parents, went to Wayne County, Ohio, where they lived until the fall of 1839. They started for Henry County in that year, stopping through the winter near Ft. Wayne, Ind., and the next spring completed the journey in a wagon. They settled three miles southeast of Mt. Pleasant, where John Morley bought a farm, upon which he resided until he made his home with his son Daniel. Until twenty-eight years of age Daniel Morley made his home with his parents, working at various occupations. He engaged in breaking prairie for eleven years with an ox-team, using from five to eight oxen. The first piece of land he owned was 160 acres in extent, situated on section 23 of Scott Township. This he improved, residing there from 1852 until 1858, when he sold and purchased eighty acres on section 20. This was but raw land upon which was a rude cabin, but he made many improvements, and added to the original purchase until he has a fine farm of 170 acres. On the land an elegant country residence has been erected at a cost of $1,600, and also a tenant house worth $500.

In June, 1853, the marriage of Daniel Morley and Sarah I. Myers, a native of Virginia, was celebrated. She is a daughter of John and Sarah (Rogers) Myers, the father born in Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent, and the mother, a native of Greenbrier County, Va., born of Irish parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Morley have been the parents of three children: Eliza A., wife of William McGlade, and by their union five children were born; Sarah, wife of Alonzo Eddingfield, a farmer of this township, became the mother of two children; and John M., who has charge of the home farm, married Alice Snelson, and one child was born to them. An adopted daughter, Phoebe F. Morgan, their niece, still resides at home. Mr. and Mrs. Morley are members of the Presbyterian Church at Winfield, as is their eldest daughter. He has held the office of Constable of the township for two years, and in politics holds liberal views. Mr. Morley is one of those men who have made their own way in the world since boyhood. His father was a poor man, and no financial assistance was received from him. What education he obtained he paid for himself. By hard work, good management and habits of industry, he has reared and educated his family, cared for his aged parents, and accumulated a competency for himself. He is a man well known and universally respected by the people of Scott Township and Henry County, and well deserves this mention in his county's history.

ISAAC MORRIS, deceased, was a pioneer of Henry County of 1834, and was born in Kentucky , where he grew to manhood, and was married to Margaret Oney. They were the parents of nine children, six sons and three daughters. Mr. Morris emigrated from Kentucky to Macomb , Ill. , in an early day, and from there to what is now Henry County, Iowa, then a part of Wisconsin Territory . He made a claim on what is now the old Schote farm, section 24, New London Township , and his second cabin is still standing. Mr. Morris is said by some to have been the first white man who located in the county; the date of his settlement is positively fixed in the spring of 1834. Several of his children were born here, and after their parents' death the younger members of the family were reared by Nicholas Miller, who married the eldest daughter, Mary. Mr. Morris and his wife both died in New London Township , he in the spring and she in the fall of 1847. William Morris is the only member of the family now living in the township.