Portrait and Biographical Album of Henry County, Iowa
Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Pat Ryan White.
JOHN SAMPLE, deceased, a pioneer of Henry County , of 1839, and one of her most highly respected citizens, fell a victim to cholera June 5,1851 , his wife also dying two days later. Samuel D. Woodworth, a son-in-law of John Sample, and his two sons, all died within seven days of the appearance of the disease among them. Mr. Sample was born in Washington County,Pa., with the birth of the Republic in 1776, March 23, a few years prior to the issuing of the Declaration of Independence, and his childhood and youth were spent amid the stirring scenes of the great Revolution, from which has sprung the greatest Republic known in the history of the world. His father was an English emigrant, his mother a native of Germany , both worthy people. John Sample was apprenticed to a millwright, and served his time at that useful trade. In pursuit of employment he afterward wended his way to Butler County , Ohio , about the close of the last century, where he was married, Jan. 20, 1803 , to Miss Ann Taylor, daughter of Henry Taylor. Mrs. Sample was born in Cincinnati April 10, 1783 . Her father was a pioneer of Cincinnati , and a brother of hers was the first white male child born in that city. Mr. Sample removed to Randolph County , Ind. , in 1818, where he engaged in building mills. In the spring of 1839 he set out with his family for the then "far west" of Iowa . Their mode of conveyance was by one-horse team and two ox-teams, with the usual covered emigrant wagons. He located land in Tippecanoe Township , the same land now forming a part of the farm of his son-in-law, William Davis. Mr. and Mrs. Sample were blessed with a numerous family, consisting of eleven children, seven of whom grew to maturity. Mary was born Jan. 1, 1804 , and was the wife of S.D. Woodworth; she died in January, 1845. Jane H. was born May 14, 1812 ; she married Arthur Bull, Nov. 12, 1829 , and died Sept. 26, 1831 . William was born June 14, 1814 ; he married Amanda T. Goddard, and died of cholera June 9, 1851 . Robert was born Oct. 13, 1816 , and died Aug. 12, 1839 ; John was born Sept. 26, 1818 , and died in September, 1842; Eliza A. was born Feb. 25, 1821 .
Mr. Sample was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, and his wife was an earnest Methodist. He was a Whig in politics and his sons walked politically in his footsteps. While living in Randolph County, Ind., he was chosen one of the three judges who constituted the courts of that county, and served with honor and ability in that capacity. He was a man of positive views and of great force of character, upright and honorable in all his intercourse with his fellowmen, and he enjoyed in a marked degree the respect and esteem of all who knew him. He was a master mechanic and delighted in the exercise of his skill. His course westward was marked by mills of his erecting, and up to the time of his sudden death he was desirous of building another mill. His daughter, Eliza A., the wife of Mr.William Davis, is the only surviving member of that once large family.
WILLIAM H. SCHLEIP is the pioneer cigar manufacturer of Henry County, having done business in 1855 at Mt. Pleasant, and with the exception of the years from 1858 to 1865, has been continuously engaged in that business. He is a native of Hanover, Germany, born near Lemforde, June 9, 1835, and is a son of Gerhardt H. and Wilhelmina Schleip. In 1847 he came to America in company with his parents, the family landing in New Orleans and going from thence to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he learned his trade of cigar-making. After completing his trade he engaged with the Cigar-Maker's Co-operative Union in manufacturing, but that venture proved a failure after a six-months trial. In 1854 he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and worked as a "jour"; then in 1855, to Davenport, where he remained a short time; then returned to Keokuk and soon afterward to Mt. Pleasant, where he opened a store in company with Fred Eiche. This partnership continued two years, when Mr. Schleip sold out, and in the summer of 1858 went to Kansas, and there engaged in a queensware business and cigar trade. His next move was to St. Louis in 1859, where he worked nine months, and then went to Belleville, Ill. On the 30th of October, 1860, at Mt.. Pleasant, Iowa, he was united in marriage with Miss Katie Messman, a native of Lee County, Iowa, and daughter of Michael Messman. Nine children have been born unto them, six of whom are now living---Louis C., William, Ida, Emma, Frank H. and Charles.
From Belleville, Ill., Mr. Schleip returned to Mt. Pleasant in 1865, re-opened in his former line and has built up an excellent trade, amounting annually to about $25,000. His father and mother died at Cincinnati, Ohio, of cholera, July 4, 1849. His brother, Henry and Frederick A., are living in Ohio. The youngest, Louis, died at Vincennes, Ind., in 1884. Henry lives at Newtown, Ohio, engaged in farming, while Frederick is a merchant at Hamilton, in the same State. While a man who attends strictly to his own private business, Mr. Schleip has yet given some attention to public affairs, and for two years was a member of the City Council from the First Ward. Politically he is independent, voting as he thinks best, regardless of party lines. For President of the United States, he voted for Fremont, Lincoln, Greeley, Tilden, Garfield and Cleveland. Fraternally Mr. Schleip is a member of the I.O.O.F., and of the Turners. In the former body he has passed all the chairs. As a business man and citizen he is universally respected. Honest and upright in his dealing, by close attention to his business he has accumulated a competency, and is among the best business men of Henry County.
born in Columbiana Co., OH, the son of William and Abigail (Cowgill) Scott, who
was born in Loudon Co., VA, and she in Hanover Co., VA.
Lewis's grandparents Scott and Cowgill, took claims
in Columbiana Co. OH, improved farms, and died there.
Scott's ancestors came from England with William Penn, and were among the first
settlers of Pennsylvania. William was of the Society of Friends. He and Abigail
had seven children all of whom were raised in that faith. They were: Hiram, who
married Elizabeth Gilbert, they went to Iowa in 1848, and afterward back to Ohio
and died there; Margaret, who married first to Gilbert Bailey, and second to
George Carlock, and they reside in Harrison County, MO; Lemuel M. married
Priscilla Fouty, and after his death married Benjamin Cowgill; James C., who
married Margaret A. Cobb, and they reside in New Waterford, Columbiana Co., OH;
Rachel, deceased, married Isaac N. Hanson who resided in California; Johum
married Maria Hanson, and they also reside in CA.
C., with mother and the five youngest children, came to Iowa in 1849, and first
settled in Lee Co. near Pilot Grove. In 1850 the family came to Salem, Henry
Co., where they resided one year. They next went to Mahaska Coo. where his
mother died in 1867. Two children returned to Ohio, and two went to California.
Lewis purchased a farm in Henry Co. from Joshua Cowgill.
subject liked the fine climate, soil and society of Iowa. He farms and has a
harness and shoe shop. He married June 20, 1867 to Mrs. Ann (Montgomery) Dewitt,
the daughter of John and Ann (Heward) Montgomery. They settled in
Henry County in 1839, and came from New Jersey. General Montgomery of
Revolutionary War fame was an uncle of John, and four of the Hewards were
commissioned officers during that same war. The granduncle of Mrs. Scott
was a Captain in the War of 1812, and her first husband was a member of Co. D,
14th Iowa Infantry in the Civil War. He contracted a disease in service which
ended his life.
Scott has a son by her first marriage, Lorenzo B. Dewitt, and had the following
children with Lewis Scott: William, Rosetta, Annette, and Abigail.
Scott is a Friend, and Mrs. Scott is a member of the Baptist Church.
George Shaner, merchant, New London, Iowa, a
pioneer of Henry County of 1844, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., Jan. 15,
1840. His parents, George and
Juliana (Bricker) Shaner, were
Pennsylvanians by birth and of German descent.
The family originally settled in Maryland, and went from there to
Westmoreland County, Pa., where the father was born.
George came to Iowa with his parents in 1844, when but a child.
They spent a short time in Burlington and then came to New London.
The subject of our sketch was educated in the
village schools of that place, and on the breaking out of the Civil War he was
among the first to enter the service in defense of the Union.
He enlisted in June, 1861, and was sworn into the United States service
July 17 following as a private of Company H, 6th Iowa Infantry, under command of
Col. John Adair McDowell, who was succeeded by Col. John M. Corse, late Major
General. His regiment was assigned
to duty in the Army of the Tennessee, under Gen. Sherman.
The history of the 6th Iowa Infantry was one of hard-fought campaigns in
which the regiment made a brilliant record for brave and efficient service, and
during which time it sustained a loss of 140 men killed outright in line of
battle, and 349 wounded. The first
important battle in which the regiment engaged was the battle of Shiloh, where
they entered with a force of 600 men and sustained a loss of 284 in killed and
wounded. Our subject participated
in the following-named engagements: Battles
of Shiloh, March 16, 1862; siege of Corinth, May, 1862; siege of Vicksburg,
winter of 1862-63. At the battles
near Jackson, July 16, 1863, the regiment covered itself with glory and was
highly complimented in the reports of the general officers. In the month of November, 1863, it was engaged in the battle
of Mission Ridge. In December
following, the regiment took part in the famous expedition for the relief of
Knoxville, Tenn. Early in 1864 the
regiment veteranized and became the 6th Iowa Veteran Volunteers, and was granted
a thirty-days furlough. Returning
at the expiration of the furlough, about the last of April, 1864, it rejoined
Sherman and fought the battles of Resaca, May 14 and 15; Dallas, May 28; New
Hope, June 1 to 4; Big Shanty, June 15, and Kennesaw on the 27th; then in all
the great battles before Atlanta, July 21, 22 and 28, and at Jonesboro, in the
rear of Atlanta, on the last of August and first of September.
The roster at Dalton showed not more than 400 men when the regiment
returned from veteran furlough, and on the campaign before Atlanta the
casualties numbered over 200. When the regiment started with Sherman on his famous march to
the sea, it numbered but little more than one full company.
It took part in the battles of Griswoldville, Ga., Nov. 22, 1864, where
they suffered severely. It
participated in the battle of Bentonville, March 20, 1865, the last battle of
Sherman's campaign. In addition to
the battles enumerated, Mr. Shaner took part in numerous skirmishes and many
minor engagements. During all of
this active and perilous service he fortunately escaped without a scratch or a
wound, but hardship and exposure in a hot climate impaired his health seriously,
producing a chronic complaint peculiar to the soldiers of the late war, but he
kept to his post, driving ambulance when he could not march, until he was
finally discharged, April 13, 1865, just at the close of the war.
On his return from the war, and partial recovery of his health, he
engaged in milling at New London. He
was employed at that work until 1868, when he went to Oregon, Linn Co., Iowa,
where he spent three years in a mill at Harrisburg. He then returned to New London, and in 1872 engaged in
mercantile business. Mr. Shaner
carries a fine stock of general merchandise and has built up a good trade.
He was married at New London, Oct. 3, 1872, to
Miss Mary E. Lyman, daughter of Ambrose Lyman, Esq.
Mrs. Shaner was born near Columbus, Ohio. They have four children, three sons and a daughter: Ambrose
L., born Sept. 17, 1873; Charles Ira, born Jan. 24, 1875; Aria Belle, born Jan.
23, 1878, and Ora J., Dec. 22, 1884. Mr.
Shaner is a Master Mason, a member of New London Lodge No. 28, A.F. & A.M.,
also a member of Charity Lodge No. 56, I.O.O.F. Politically he is a Republican, having always voted with that
Samuel I. Shaner, merchant, New London, Iowa,
dealer in clothing, gents' furnishing goods, notions and jewelry, and ex-County
Treasurer, is a pioneer of Henry County of 1844. He was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., Dec. 7, 1832, and is
the son of George and Juliana (Bricker) Shaner.
His father was born in the same county, while his father's parents were
of German birth, who on emigrating to America first settled in Maryland, and
removed from there to Westmoreland County, Pa.
Samuel came to Iowa with his parents in 1844, landing in Burlington on
the 10th of April; ten days later they came to New London.
His father was a tailor by trade, and engaged in that business until
1850, when getting the gold fever, he went overland to California, where he
spent seven years in mining and other pursuits, and returned home in 1857, via
Panama and New York. On his return
he entered the service of the Burlington & Missouri Railway Company, as
Station Agent at New London; his death occurred in the winter of 1876.
Samuel learned the tailor's trade, but not being
pleased with that vocation, did not follow it.
He entered the service of the Burlington & Missouri Railway Company
as agent at New London in 1858, being the second person to serve in that
capacity at that place. He was
retained in the company's employ until 1872, covering a period of fourteen
years, during which time he served as Station Agent, first at New London, as we
have said, next at Fairfield, then at Ottumwa, and again at New London.
In 1872 he engaged in mercantile business at New London, and continued it
until 1882. He was elected
Treasurer of Henry County in the fall of 1879, and entered upon the duties of
the office Jan. 1, 1880. He was re-elected and served until Jan. 1, 1884.
Mr. Shaner made a capable and faithful officer.
He had continued the mercantile business up to the close of his first
term of office. He did not again
resume active business until 1886, when he engaged in his present trade. He has held various local offices, and has taken an active
part in public affairs. He was
married at New London, Jan. 27, 1859, to Miss Martha G. McManus, a daughter of
James N. McManus. Mrs. Shaner was
born in Fairfield, Ind. They have
two children, a daughter and a son. The
daughter, Clara L., is the wife of M.B. Cullum, of St. Paul, Minn.
The son, Frank N., was born at New London, Aug. 24, 1870, and is with his
father in the store.
Mr. Shaner is a Republican in politics, and has
been associated with that party since its organization. He has many friends in the county, and bears an honorable
name in the community in which he resides.
farmer and stock-raiser, he resides on Sect. 23 in Baltimore Twp. He was born in
Jennings Co., IN in 1822, the son of George and Isabella (Graham) Shelledy.
Edward, the paternal grandfather was born in VA, and the ancestors are supposed
to be of Irish origin. He married Miss Bovell, and later moved to OH, and from
there to Jennings County, IN, and lastly to Edgar Co., IL, where both he and his
wife died. They had seven children: Margaret, deceased, who
married William Moore, of Lowell, IA, and died there; George, father of
Carey D., married Isabella Graham in Indiana where his death accidentaly
occurred while clearing up his farm; Stephen married Elizabeth Vance and both
are now dead; Alfred, Gillen, and Alex, who died unmarried; and John, married to
Mary A. Milton.
family of George and Isabella consisted of 3 sons, Edward, George, and Carey D..
The widow afterward married John
Compton and bore him 6 children, Samuel, Virginia, Louisiana, Stephen, William
and Isabella. The mother died in Marion Co., Iowa in 1822.
the death of his father and remarriage of his mother Carey D. Shelledy, then 16,
left home and went to Charleston, IL and learned the saddlery and harness trade.
He came to this county at age 18,and in the winter of 1840 opened a shop, the
first mechanic of this area. He made the first saddle and breeching harness ever
manufactured in Henry Co. The shop stood on the site of Presley Saunders bank.
He next went to Lowell and ran a carding-mill for Thomas Angell for two years.
The next year he went to what is now known as the second purchase of Indian
lands, upon which Ottumwa and Oskalooska are situated. He aided in building the
first cabins in Oskaloosa. A general store there was owned by Leeper Smith.
Shelledy was present at the Osage Agency when the treaty was made, selecting
three claims and built a cabin on each of them, sold two claims and entered 80
acres at the 1st land sale at Fairfield.
married prior to this time to Miss Amanda Shelledy, their marriage being one of
the first in Mahaska Co. They had children: Elizabeth, wife of Charles Simpson,;
George E. who died in infancy; Jane, who died in childhood, and was born in
Jasper Co. where her parents had removed to and where other children were born;
Ella, wife of George Collins; Margaret, wife of Hugh Bowen; Stephen who married
Shelledy returned to Henry Co., and purchased the farm where William Archibald
now lives. His wife died in Jasper Co., and he married secondly to Mrs. Jane
(Linder) Hale, who had 3 children by her first marriage: George W., Sylvester,
and Sarah J. With Mr. Shelledy she had Leander and Andrew, twins, Fremont,
Nathaniel, Emma, Charles, Amy, Ella, John, Frank, and Fred. Ella is deceased;
Leander married Mary Kyle; Andrew m. her sister Rena; Fremont m. Ella Cook in
NE; Emma m. Richard Foster, and the others are unmarried.
Shelledy is one of the large landowners of Baltimore Twp. He is the grandsire of
18 children and the father of 17. His step-father was a cruel man to the
children, and the last he saw of him, he was standing at the door with a birch
switch in his hand. He climbed out a back window and left for IL.When he next
saw his mother he had grown to manhood and she failed to recognize him. He went
to Indiana, and her 2nd husband having died, he took her to Iowa. She lived with
her son the remainder of her life. He was an avowed Abolitionist and was largely
interested in the underground railroad, acting as both Station Agent and
PETER SMITH, a stock-raiser and farmer residing on section 28, Marion Township , was born July 12, 1830 , in Switzerland County , Ind. , and is a son of Abraham and Eleanor (Van Dorin) Smith, the former a native of North Carolina , born May 19, 1794 , and the latter Aug. 10, 1800 , in Pennsylvania . They have had a family of twelve children: John, who died in 1836; William and Sarah died in infancy; Jabez, a plasterer and brick-layer of Villisca, Iowa; Mary A., widow of Abram Osborne, now a resident of Omaha, Neb.; Cheney, a farmer in Crawford County, Kan.; Peter, the subject of this sketch, is the seventh child; Marcus K., a farmer in Jefferson County, Iowa; James C., a resident of Omaha, Neb.; Nancy L., deceased wife of Walter F. Crew, a resident of Mankato, Jewell Co., Kan.; Hiram, a farmer in Jefferson County, Iowa; Phoebe C., wife of Rufus Van Tassal, a farmer in Jewell County, Kan. Mrs. Smith went to Switzerland County , Ind. , in 1804, and Mr. Smith in 1814. Here they became acquainted and friendship ripened into love, and the marriage was celebrated in 1815. They remained in Switzerland County , Ind. , until 1833, and here their seven oldest children were born. In that year they emigrated to Hancock County , Ind. , at which place the five youngest children were born. Mr. and Mrs. Smith made Hancock County their home until 1849, when they came to Henry County, Iowa, locating near Rome . Here he bought 120 acres of raw land and developed a fine farm, residing here until his death in July, 1871. Mrs. Smith died Aug. 3, 1875 . They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at the time of their death, but had formerly belonged to the Baptist Church before coming to Iowa . They were devoted members of the society, and no couple in the county were more highly esteemed than they were.
The earlier years of our subject were spent in attending the common schools in the state of Indiana and doing his part of the farm work. Born upon a farm, the greater part of his life has been spent in the peaceful avocation of a farmer. He remained with his parents until 1853, when he made the overland trip to California, where he remained but a short time, then went to Oregon, and for two years was there engaged in farming. Returning to California , for about fourteen months he engaged in mining, and then went to freighting in California , Oregon , Idaho and Washington Territory , but later engaged in stock-raising in Oregon , and for a time in merchandising. He was very successful in the far West, remaining there until 1868, when he returned to Henry County and purchased eighty acres of land, a portion of the farm on which he now resides. In 1883 he bought ninety acres more, making 170 acres, which is now under a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Smith is a successful stock-raiser, his stock consisting principally of fine Poland China hogs and Durham cattle.
Everything that he has was made by his own industry. On the 26th of April, 1869 , Mr. Smith was united in marriage with Miss Lucy B. Crew, daughter of Walter and Sarah (Rice) Crew. She was born Aug. 18, 1844 , near Richmond , Va. Five children have been born to them: Annie L. was born Jan. 27, 1870; Nellie M., born Feb. 25, 1871, died May 28 of the same year; Charles S., born Aug. 16, 1873; Mary J., born Jan. 30, 1875; John, born Jan. 28, 1877, died Jan. 18, 1879. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Society of Friends. In politics he is a Democrat. As a citizen he stands high in the estimation of all. He is always ready to advance any interest for the public good.
was born 23 October 1817 in Zanesville, Ohio. and died 6 July 1887. He married
Miss Ivy Johnson in 1844 and died 25 Jun 1875, preceding Benjamin in death.
had seven children: Hattie J. born 1845, m. E. D. Anderson; Annie E. born 1846
and married J. W. Burton of Mt. Pleasant; Charles W. born 1847, a farmer in
Marion Twp., who married Flora B. Moford; J. W., who died in infancy; Mary E.,
who resides with her sister, Mrs. J. W. Burton; Emma C. who died in 1873, at age
20; and Homer J., born 1857, a farmer in Marion Twp, and who married Miss E. L.
Harriet Boyce, now deceased, was a native of Washington County, MD, and
grandmother of Mrs. Anderson. Her maiden name was Thompson, and she was
born December 7, 1792. Her first husband was Jacob Johnson, and they had
13 children, of whom 12 lived to adulthood. She had at time of death, 7
children, 48 grandchildren, and 27 great-grandchildren. Her second husband was
were members of the M. E. Church
biography is a little confusing. I am not sure if the last part refers to Hattie
J. (Spry) Anderson in the part "Mrs Harriet Boyce....a grandmother of Mrs.
Deceased, of Salem, Iowa. He was born in Harrison
Co. OH 5 Sept 1812. He was the son of Ralph and Eleanor (Cleary) Spurrier. They
were both natives of Maryland, and both lived and died in Ohio. They have 5 sons
and 6 daughters, six of whom are now living: Samuel resides in Clearfield, Iowa
and is the resident physician; Warner resides at New Lisbon, Linn Co. IA, and is
married to a cousin of the late president James A. Garfield; William m. Miss
Dungan and is a farmer of Iowa County; Matilda m. George Heberling, a farer of
Harrison Co. OH; Elizabeth is the widow of John Matson and resides in Nebraska;
Mary a. m. Hezekiah Harrison, now deceased, and resides in New Lisbon. The rest
of the children lived to be married--but are not listed.
Richard, our subject, married in Cadiz, OH in
1833, to Miss Amy Barrett, the daughter of Thomas and Margaret Barrett, who were
Quakers and natives of Virginia. When they removed from the state of Ohio the
Barrett brothers came to get their entry of land. In 1842, Richard and wife came
to Iowa by way of Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. In Iowa they remained for 18
months 14 miles north of Iowa City and then came to Henry County.
Richard farmed a short time and then clerked for
John Andrews, a merchant of Salem, until 1853. He then took an overland trip to
California with an ox-team. He had cholera enroute. He tried mining for awhile
and then returned about 1856 to Iowa. He was sick for one year with Panama
Fever. Richard and Mrs. Spurrier had seven children, 2 daughters and 5 sons:
Thomas married Lavina Wood- manse, and resided in Wichita, KS.; John died at age
two years; Mary, (now deceased), m. Thomas Rook; William H. resides Dectur Co.,
IA and is the husband of Jane Cammack; Ralph C. m. Josephine Barton and they
also reside in Decatur County, they also have a section of excellent land that
adjoins that of Joseph Smith, the Mormon Elder's son; Joseph, who was the only
one who was born in Iowa, died at age 8, a victim of the first cholera epidemic
Thomas and Ralph both enlisted in Co. D,
14th Iowa Infantry. Ralph was wounded at Shiloh. Richard has resided
in Salem since 1845. He was a member of the Salem Lodge #48 of the IOOF,
and was a member of the Salem Lodge #17 of the A.F.&A.M. He was
president of the Old Settlers Association.
Oliver Stephenson, farmer and Trustee of Wayne Township, Henry Co., Iowa, residing on section
18, was born in Southern Sweden in 1834, and is the son of Stephen and
Christiana C. (Poulson) Stephenson, who in 1849 emigrated to America,
settling in Trenton Township, Henry County. They brought with them eight
children---Paul, Oliver, Charles J., Stephen, Caroline, Christiana,
Mary and Louisa. The latter died in Chicago of cholera while on the
way to Iowa. Stephen Stephenson, Sr., purchased the farm upon which
Daniel Vorhies now lives, in Trenton Township, and upon this the parents,
two brothers and one sister died. Besides Oliver, two sisters are now
living. Caroline wedded Peter Alsen, who resides near Madrid, Boone
Co., Iowa; and Christiana is married to James Sexton, a native of Ohio,
commercial agent for a Chicago firm, and a resident of Pella, Iowa.
Oliver Stephenson, farmer and Trustee of Wayne Township, Henry Co., Iowa, residing on section 18, was born in Southern Sweden in 1834, and is the son of Stephen and Christiana C. (Poulson) Stephenson, who in 1849 emigrated to America, settling in Trenton Township, Henry County. They brought with them eight children---Paul, Oliver, Charles J., Stephen, Caroline, Christiana, Mary and Louisa. The latter died in Chicago of cholera while on the way to Iowa. Stephen Stephenson, Sr., purchased the farm upon which Daniel Vorhies now lives, in Trenton Township, and upon this the parents, two brothers and one sister died. Besides Oliver, two sisters are now living. Caroline wedded Peter Alsen, who resides near Madrid, Boone Co., Iowa; and Christiana is married to James Sexton, a native of Ohio, commercial agent for a Chicago firm, and a resident of Pella, Iowa.
Our subject grew to manhood in Trenton Township, and from boyhood developed the characteristics which have been so marked during his later years. He received but a limited school education, but, as his business habits were formed he secured a practical one, and to-day takes front rank among the prominent farmers of the county. He was married in 1860 to Miss Mary H. Johnson, also born in Sweden, who came alone from that country in 1858. The young couple began their domestic life in Jefferson County, and six years later moved to Wayne Township, this county, Mr. Stephenson purchasing a quarter section of land. He has made this one of the most beautiful farms in the township, and has expended large sums of money in the erection of a mansion and fine out-buildings, and as his means increased, his broad acres have grown to a half section of land, where he resides; and he also owns other farms, in Nebraska, Kansas, and in this township and in other parts of the county, showing what can be accomplished in a few years by industry and thrift, backed by good judgment. When Oliver was a lad he worked for twenty-five cents per day, but is now one of the largest taxpayers in Wayne Township, and every dollar he is worth is the legitimate result of a successful business.
Since their marriage ten children have blessed the home of Mr. and Mrs. Stephenson: Tillie, wife of John Lindell, a farmer of Wayne Township; Caroline, Charles, Clara, Solomon, Archie, Alma, Melvin (deceased), Ettie and George. Charles has taken a course at Howe's Academy, Mt. Pleasant, and in point of education the children are all intended to have every advantage.
Oliver Stephenson has filled almost every township office, and for years was President of the School Board, and also Treasurer from the organization of the independent district. He has repeatedly filled the offices of Township Supervisor, Township Trustee, and is the present incumbent and his own successor. He was one of the original members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, at Swedesburg, and was one of its first Trustees, being both Trustee and Deacon, with the exception of one year, from its organization. He was elected one of the Board of Directors of the Augustana College, of Rock Island, Ill., in 1885, and has another year to serve. As a useful citizen the township and county are proud of Oliver Stephenson. As a family, all are held in high esteem, and with pleasure we offer this sketch of one of the best known men of his nationality in Wayne Township.
PAUL F. STRAUB, M. D., Third Assistant Physician at the Iowa Sate Hospital for the Insane, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, was born in the celebrated Black Forest of Germany, near Baden, July 3, 1865. His parents, Edward and Addrienna [Rappenecker] Straub, were natives of that country, and emigrated from Germany to America in 1872, with their family, and came directly to Mt. Pleasant, where they now reside.
CLARA J. SWAN, M.D., homeopathic physician, Mt. Pleasant , Iowa , was born in St. Paul , Minn. Her parents, Andrew and Margaret Swan, were natives of Sweden , who emigrated to America in their youth. They were honest and industrious, and died leaving Clara an orphan when she was but eight years old. She came to Iowa in 1873, and lived near Oakland Mills, Henry County , where she received her primary education in the public schools. In 1882 she came to Mt. Pleasant and entered Prof. Howe's Academy and Training School, where she took a two-years course of general study. She began reading medicine with Dr. J.H. Drake in 1883, and in October, 1884, entered the Iowa State University as a medical student, taking a general course of study in medicine and surgery, and graduating in the class of 1887. Immediately after receiving her diploma, she opened an office at Mt. Pleasant , Iowa , where at present she is the only lady physician in actual practice.
Dr. Swan is a young lady of superior ability, and is a thorough medical student and cool reasoner. Her misfortune in childhood of being left an orphan has taught her that self-reliance and patience necessary to win an honorable place in the profession of her choice. She realizes that she has much to contend with from the competition of the many able physicians in the city, and from the common prejudice against employing female physicians, especially one so young. But time remedies many things and rights many wrongs. The most eminent in the profession have been guilty of the heinous crime of once having been young, and the world is fast learning that men must not, nor cannot, monopolize the learned professions. That she may win that high rank among practitioners that is the result of steadfast determination and earnest effort, is certainly the desire of all who know her, and who admire the courage that triumphs over every obstacle.