| Annals Index
Annals of Iowa
Annals of Iowa: A historical quarterly. v. 1-12, 1863-74; New Series, v. 1-3, 1882-84; 3d series, v. 1- Apr. 1893-
Parsons, Arthur C. , entered the Naval Academy from Keokuk, June 21, 1876, and was honorably discharged, with the rank of Master, June 30, 1883. During the Spanish-American war he served as a Volunteer Lieutenant from June 17, 1898, until honorably discharged January 30, 1899.
Galusha Parsons was born at East Aurora, N. Y., on May 22, 1828; he died at his home in Tacoma, Washington, March 10, 1908. He removed from New York to Iowa in 1865, locating at Ft. Dodge. He was a representative in the Iowa House of Representatives in the 13th General Assembly from Webster county, serving on committees of Judiciary and State University. He attained eminence at the bar at Ft. Dodge. He removed to Des Moines in 1873, being associated first with George H. Lewis and then with John S. Runnels. Great learning, effective argument, and persistent methods distinguished him at the Des Moines bar. He removed to Tacoma, Washington, in 1890 and continued in the law practice. His activities and success grew until about four years ago when his health began to fall. His body was brought to Iowa and buried at Greenwood Cemetery, Des Moines, March 19, 1908.
Lyman Parsons, who was for ten years Treasurer of the State Historical Society at Iowa City, died there at the age of sixty-four, on the 28th of February last. He was a native of Massachusetts and for twenty-six years had been a prominent business man at Iowa City, having been President of the First National Bank of that place since 1883. For ten years he was contractor on the construction of the Rock Island railroad, building the stone work for most of the bridges from Chicago to Council Bluffs. In politics Mr. Parsons was an active republican, but never sought or held a political office. In all respects he was a useful and most estimable citizen. The Iowa Historical Record pays a kindly and deserved tribute to his memory, from which we condense the above.
John Pattee was born in Canada 81 years ago; he died at Hot Springs, S. D., Nov. 30, 1901. He removed to Iowa about the year 1850, settling first in Bremer county. He was appointed Auditor of Public Accounts by Gov. J. W. Grimes in 1855, to fill a vacancy, and elected to the same place the following year. His regular term expired Jan. 3, 1859. He entered the military service early in the civil war, and was variously connected with our 14th and 41st Infantry regiments, and finally promoted to lieutenant- colonel of the 7th Iowa Cavalry. Since the war he has resided mostly in the Dakotas. The deceased veteran was related by marriage to Gov. Kirkwood, Ezekiel Clark, and the late Judge William Phillips of Des Moines. He held the office of State Auditor when the title was "auditor of public accounts," and during his service it was changed to its present designation, "auditor of state." His record of public service in Iowa was in all respects creditable.
WILLIAM PHILLIPS was born in Steubenville, O., Sept. 27, 1827; he died in Phoenix, Arizona, Nov. 27, 1901. He was born on a farm and received a collegiate education. In 1851 he migrated to Illinois and settled in Peoria, where he engaged in merchandizing, but having a love for the legal profession, he studied law and was admitted to practice in 1854. Coming to this State, he first settled on a farm in Greene county, near Jefferson, which town he assisted in laying out. He came to Des Moines in 1856, where he remained in the practice of his profession until his death. During this period he had as partners such distinguished men as Hon. Curtin Bates, Col. C. H. Gatch, Maj. David Ryan, Judge James G. Day (former chief justice of Iowa,) Col. E. J. Goode and W. B. Crosby. He occupied a prominent position at the bar and was held in high esteem throughout the wide circle of his acquaintance.