The History of Jackson County,
Unless noted otherwise, bios submitted by Dick Barton.
DAVID BARNHOLT, retired farmer, Sec. 4; P.O. La Motte; born in Philadelphia, Penn., in 1819; came West in 1844, and settled in Jackson Co., where he now resides, on six acres of land in Sec. 4, where he expects to enjoy the results of a hard-earned fortune. His wife, Anna Maria Hittinger, was born in Allegheny Co., Penn., in 1819, and married in Pennsylvania Sept. 10, 1840; they have three children living in Linn Co., two in Emmett Co., and one boy, George, at home to care for the parents in their old age.
JACOB BOWMAN, farmer, Sec. 32; P. O. Maquoketa; he was born in Virginia, March 14, 1798, where he resided until 1851, when he came to Jackson Co., and soon bought and located on the farm where he has since lived. He married Elizabeth Keiser in 1823; they have had fourteen children, ten now living - George W., Jacob K., Mary F., Sarah E., Annie L., Nancy, Lizzie, William M., Benjamin F., Stephen H. He owns 240 acres of land, valued at $55 per acre. Himself and wife are members of the Christian Church; Democrat.
WILLIAM BOWMAN, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Maquoketa; born in Rockingham Co., Va., June 1, 1845; he came to Jackson Co. in March, 1851, and located in Maquoketa Township; he has lived at his present residence ten years. Married Mary C. Farr Sept. 30, 1869; she was born in Canada Sept. 13, 1848; have six children -- Emma, born Sept. 20, 1870; Carrie E., May 20, 1871; Lannie J., Feb. 6, 1874; Mansel W., Jan. 2, 1875; Claude B., Aug. 29, 1877, and an infant. Owns 120 acres valued at $60 per acre. Democrat.
HENRY BROOCKMAN, cabinet maker and furniture dealer; was born in Germany Sept. 15, 1823; he emigrated to America in 1851; he came to Iowa and lived in Dubuque four years; came to Maquoketa in 1855 and began working at his trade, and has continued in the business since then for twenty-four years, and has built up a good trade. He married Frances Krause, a native of Germany; they have no children.
SILAS F. BROWN, carpenter and builder, Maquoketa; is a native of Allegany Co., N. Y., and was born July 1, 1827; he grew up to manhood, and learned his trade there; he came to Iowa, and located in Maquoketa, May 8, 1854, and began working at his trade, and since then he hes been engaged in building; there is no one here, now engaged in building, that has worked at the business as long as he and A. M. Morey. In February, 1861, he married Miss Frances S. Tower, a native of Vermont. They have four children - Alice, Eddie, Earl and Eugene.
TRUMAN CHAPMAN, farmer, Sec. 36; P. O. Maquoketa; is a native of Warren Co., N. Y.; he grew to manhood there, and came to Iowa in 1863, and located in Jackson Co., just south of Maquoketa, and engaged in farming and stock-raising; he owns a good farm of sixty acres. In June, 1872, he married Miss Marietta E. Wilcox, a native of Clinton Co., Iowa. They have two children - one daughter, Luella, and one son, Harry.
D. C. CLARY, retired, Maquoketa; is a native of Franklin Co., Vt.; born Jan. 31, 1821; he grew up there, and learned the trade of carriage and wagon making; after reaching manhood, in April, 1845, he married Miss Jane F. Ballard, of Vermont; two years after they came to Iowa, and arrived in Jackson Co. June 16, 1847; in the spring of 1848, he began business at Wright's Corners, two miles south of the city, which then was larger than Maquoketa; he erected a building for carrying on his business the following winter, and at that time it was one of the largest buildings in Jackson Co.; Mr. Clary continued his business there until 1856; when he came to this city he engaged in business until 1869; afterward engaged in the hardware trade for a short time, but has retired from active business; he is one of the oldest business men in Maquoketa; has held town and school offices; Mr. and Mrs. Clary have three children - Fred. E., now Postmaster at Sidney, Neb; Lucy A., now Mrs. John Van Evera, of this city, and Nellie, at home.
GEORGE W. CONFARE, present Mayor, carpenter and wagon-maker, Sabula; born in Cumberland Co., Penn., in 1826; he went to Scott Co., Iowa, in 1848; in 1850, went to Galena, Ill.; came to Sabula in 1852; in 1859, he went to Memphis, Tenn., where he remained till 1864, when he returned to Sabula. He married Rosetta Each, a native of London , England ; they have four children - William H., Kate, Thomas R. and John G. Has been a member of City Council two years, Marshal one and one-half years, and is at present Mayor of Sabula.
WILLIAM J. CONKLIN, farmer, Sec. 5; P. O. Iron Hills; was born in Monroe Co., Ohio, in 1837; in 1844, he removed West with his parents, William and Easter Conklin; they settled in this (Jackson) county. Mr. Conklin married, in this county in 1857, Miss M. Edwards; she was also a native of Ohio; they have ten children - Peter, Thomas, William, Eda, Franklin, Reuben, Louis, Ida, Michael and Fritz. Mr. Conklin owns 165 acres of land, also half-interest in saw-mill in Otter Creek Township. In politics, he is a Democrat. He has taken quite an interest in school affairs and has been elected to various school offices. He is a man of much energy and worth, as well as a public-spirited citizen.
Hon. HENRY GREEN, dealer in dry goods and general merchandise, also Notary Public, Monmouth; son of Russell and Elizabeth Green; born Nov. 4, 1832, in Elgin Co., C. W.; in the spring of 1850, emigrated to this township; followed farming till 1856, when he commenced the mercantile business in Mill Rock; came to Monmouth in 1857; also commenced the study of law in connection with his other business, and was admitted to the bar of Jackson Co. in 1861. Mr. G. served as member of the Legislature in the Tenth General assembly, also as member of the County Board of Supervisors, Justice of the Peace, etc. Besides his place of business, he owns 100 acres of land adjoining the town plat, of the value of $50 per acre. Married Miss Sarah Stuart, in August, 1857; she was born in Ohio, and deceased in 1859. He again married Miss Harriet Willis in 1861; she was born in 1836, in New York. He has one daughter by his first wife - Sarah, and by his second wife, five children - Charles F., Frederick R., Clara, Lanetta and Junius B.; has lost one - Jessie. Republican.
W. F. Hoyt, farmer and stock-raiser. Sec. 24; P.O. Andrew; was born in Carroll Co., N.H., March 22, 1845. He removed with his parents to Jackson Co. in 1852; he served in Co. K, 6th Iowa Cav.; engaged in the frontier against the Indians; he was mustered out at Sioux City Oct. 17, 1865. He married, in this county, Miss Lydia Vonnieder, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Vonnieder, who settled in Jackson Co. in 1854. They moved to Hamilton Co., Iowa, in 1869, where they now reside. Mr. Hoyt's children are Jennie E., Saida A., Rosa V., Labelle and William A. Mr. Hoyt owns 100 acres of land, upon which there are several of those Mounds that are scattered throughout the Northwest, generally conceded to be the work of a semi-civilized people, who existed previous to the North American Indians. Mr. Hoyt's father, Josiah Hoyt, was a native of Carroll Co., N.H. He married, in his native State, Miss Lettice B. Senter. They removed to Jackson Co. in 1852, and settled in this township. Their children were Mary Jane (now wife of John Shoof, of this county), James B. and W.F., whose name appears at the head of this sketch.
JOHN A. HUNTER, farmer, Sec. 34; P. O. Cottonville; born Feb. 13, 1839, in Trumbull Co., Ohio; in 1849, he came, with his parents, to Jackson Co.; he owns eighty acres land. Married Melissa Campbell in 1859; she was born in Pennsylvania; have four children - Charles, William, May and Byron.
JOSEPH HUNTER, Sr., farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Cottonville; he was born in 1815, in Cumberland Co., Penn.; in about 1831, he came to Trumbull Co., Ohio; in 1849, came to Jackson Co. and has since resided here; he owns about one section of land; 240 acres of this he entered, and has improved a large portion of it; he was County Supervisor when each township had a representative; is now Township Treasurer. Married Miss Jane Buttles in 1839; she was born in 1818, died in 1869; had seven children, three living - John A., Levi and Mary. Second marriage to Mrs. Warson in 1873; she is a native of New York.
Hunter's Caves, sometimes called Cottonville Caves, are located on the farm of Joseph Hunter, near the village of Cottonville.
The larger of these caves was discovered about 1857, and the knowledge of its existence is due to a "coon hunt." Some boys were engaged in this lively sport, when his lordship, the coon, sought refuge at the entrance of the cavern, and was pursued in his subterraneous retreat by both dogs and men. At that time, the entrance was by a passage-way, so low that it could be entered only by creeping on one's hands and knees.
A ridge, about one and a half miles in length, extends east from the entrance. This ridge is crossed near its western end by a sort of dry gully, and in the side of this little vale is the entrance to the larger cave. This entrance has of late years been excavated, by blasting, so that the cave can be entered by a stairway, and in a perpendicular attitude. This cave contains four large rooms, which have been explored. The first after entering is the largest of these, and is perhaps two hundred and fifty feet long, with a ceiling in height from six to twenty feet. In the center of this room is a pool of clear water, varying in depth according to the season. No running water is found in the cave, nor are any fish to be discovered in the pools, as have been in other subterranean caverns. At the further end of this long room is a passage- way, of considerable length and difficult of exit, which opens up, after a fall of about eight feet, into a third chamber of less dimensions, but equal curiosity.
Not far from the entrance, a passage leads away from the large room around to the east of the entrance, into the grandest room in the entire cave, so far as explored. This chamber is egg-shaped, and though not so large in circumference, is near fifty feet in height. Its diameter will not vary much from one hundred feet. Adjoining this is a small closet, called the "heart and liver" room, because it contains a calcareous formation almost identical in shape with the human heart and liver.
No encouragement has ever been given to the further exploration of these curiosities, and only during the past year has any effort been made to make them places of attraction or resort. These caverns are now becoming quite popular as pic-nic grounds, a covered platform having been erected near the entrance for dancing.
The floor of the large room in the cave is of soil, and is frequently muddy. The floor of the other chambers is of rock. When first discovered, these rooms, as those in "Burt's Cave" already mentioned, were ceiled by one dazzling array of milk-white stalactites, from whose points the limewater was constantly dripping. These glistened in the light of the torches like so many jewels, and presented a scene of wonderful beauty. An avidity for relics amounting to positive vandalism has robbed the rooms of much of these attractions. Some of these stalactites were two and one-half to three feet in length, and frequently twenty-four inches long, while not more than half an inch at the base. Others were hollow like pipe-stems, and not much thicker, the water filtering down through the opening in the center. Most of these were translucent and almost transparent. Others were of a dull, muddy color.
No fossils have ever been found in the cave of any importance. It has been explored by miners seeking minerals, but without startling results. Though no trouble has ever been experienced from gases, the high room has been punctured from the hill above, for purposes of ventilation. The cave has been during the present year arranged for lighting, and lamps are distributed throughout the rooms, so that all can be satisfactorily viewed.
Another and smaller cave has been discovered, at a point in the hill a little further west, and is entered by a perpendicular fissure in the rocks, about sixty feet in length.
Mrs. LAURA A. HURD, farming, Sec. 28; P. O. Cottonville; was born in Ohio April 3, 1844, and moved to the West with her parents, who settled in Jackson Co. She married Elias Hurd Dec. 2, 1860; he died March 19, 1872. Mr. Hurd, at the time of his death, owned 140 acres in Sec. 28. Mrs. H. is now the owner of seventy-seven acres in Sec. 28. They had four children - Elijah H., Annie A., Ella A. and Almond E. Mr. Hurd enlisted in the 2d I. V. I. in 1864, and served until the close of the war.
JACKSON-PERKINS MURDER AND EXECUTION
P. B. JAMESON, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Cottonville; born Aug. 29, 1814, in Monroe Co., N. Y.; in 1850, came to Jackson Co.; he owns 220 acres land. Married Lucinda Tyrrer Nov. 1,, 1837; she was born in January, 1816, in Erie Co., N. Y.; died in 1863, leaving two children - F. G. and R. M. Second marriage to Nancy Davison in 1864; she was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y. His two sons, F. G. and R. M., served in the late war. He has been Constable, Township Treasurer, etc.
GEORGE W. KEISTER, farmer, Sec. 5; P. O. Bellevue. He is among the leading and enterprising farmers of Jackson County. We find none more worthy of representation in her history than George W. Keister, of Jackson Township. He was born in Rockingham Co., Va., Nov. 24, 1826. In early life, he received a liberal education in his native county. In 1847, he removed with his parents to Jackson Co.; settled in Andrew, where they lived until the following year, when they removed to Bellevue Township, where they resided until their death, April 12, 1852. Mr. Keister, in company with four others, started for California overland, with an ox-team. They arrived in Placerville, August 8, and he went to Big Bar, on the middle fork of the American River, where he engaged in mining, with fair success, until the winter of 1853, when he returned to this county. May 17, 1855,he married, in Jackson Township, this (Jackson) county, Miss Mary R. McMurphy, daughter of Archibald and Rispa McMurphy, natives of New York, who settled in this county in 1854, and are now honored residents of Rochester, Minn. Mr. Keister and wife are members of the M. E. Church. Their children were Nettie B., born April 1, 1856; (she was educated at Mount Vernon, Iowa; March 15, 1877, she married Richard c. Ross; they live in Bellevue, where he is and has been engaged in the mercantile business several years); Elizabeth, born Aug. 26, 1857; (she is now attending school at Cornell College, Mount Vernon); George W., born Feb. 10, 1859; (he is also attending school at Mount Vernon); Charlotte R., born March 3, 1861; Charles C., Nov. 20, 1862; Mary A., April 2, 1864; Benjamin B., Oct. 4, 1865; Fannie B., May 15, 1867; Harry C., April 31, 1868; Walter W., April 26, 1870, died Oct. 2, 1876; Nellie May, born Jan. 10, 1875; Archie J., Feb. 9, 1877. Mr. Keister is, at present writing, Trustee and Steward of the M. E. Church, a position he has filled about six years. He was Clerk of Jackson Township for over eleven years; is the present School Treasurer in the district wherein he resides, an office he has filled to the general satisfaction of all concerned a number of years. In politics, Mr. K. is a Democrat, though he is no politician, and has never taken part in the personal strife and vituperation so common during political campaigns, and looks to principles rather than party politics. He is a public-spirited man, always ready to assist with time and money any enterprise that promises to be of advantage to his township and county, and has always taken an active part in the promotion of the religious and educational interests. His farm embraces 280 acres, well located, and possessing many of the natural advantages. In 1865, he completed his house, which is a massive stone structure, and is, without doubt, one of the finest farm residences in Jackson Co. Being a man of study and progressive ideas, he has applied the best practical results of his knowledge to improved methods of farming, and to furnishing his house with the appliances and comforts of the best social life. His parents, William K. and Elizabeth Keister, were natives of Virginia . They came to this county, as before stated, in 1847, and were honored residents until their death, which occurred, his in 1858, and hers in June, 1874. They were members of the M. E. Church. Previous to his coming to this county, he was a Captain of a militia company in Virginia . Their children were Martin B., now a Methodist minister at Sioux City , Iowa ; George W., whose name heads this sketch; Mary, now deceased; Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Snodgrass, Collins Co., Texas ; William M.; Susan, now Mrs. B. Sisler. In addition to his farm, Mr. Keister owns city property in Hutchinson , Kan. , and in Bellevue , Iowa .
W. M. KEISTER, retired farmer; P. O. Bellevue; born in Virginia in 1840; came to Iowa in 1847 and engaged in farming thirty-two years, six miles from Bellevue; moved into town and built a red brick residence on the bluff back of the town, commanding a five river view. As a public man, he has the confidence of the people; has been elected to all the offices of the township; is a member of the City Council. His wife was born in Germany and came to America at the age of 1 year; they were married at Andrew, Jackson Co., May 16, 1864 , and have two children - Hattie C. and Myron B.
JOHN KREAR, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. La Motte; he was born in June, 1842, in Germany; in 1866, he came to Jackson Co. Owns 120 acres of land. Married Anna Hemes in May, 1872; she was born in Germany in 1850; have four children - Mary, Kate, Catharena and John.
Hon. W. A. MAGINNIS, State Senator of Jackson Co., Bellevue; native of Perry Co., Ohio; was born June 6, 1828; after receiving a common-school education, he commenced the study of law with his brother, and was admitted to the bar in 1850; since this time, he has been in constant practice; in 1851, he came to Galena, Ill.; the following year, he came to Bellevue, where he has since resided; he was Prosecuting Attorney from 1854 to 1856; was elected State Senator in 1875; has held various other minor offices, all of which he has discharged with marked ability. He married Miss Amy Wood August, 1853; she was born in Herkimer Co., N. Y.; they have two children - Mary and Thomas.
WILLIAM MALONE, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Cottonville; born in 1816, in Ireland; in 1841, came to Troy, N. Y.; there hired out for farming; in 1854, he came to Jackson Co. He now owns 380 acres of land. Married Ellen Dunne in 1853; she was born in Ireland; they had seven children, four now living.
JOHN MANDERSCHIEF, farmer, Sec. 22; P. O. Cottonville; born in Luxemburg on may 12, 1833; came to America in 1855; settled in Tete des Morts, Jackson Co., and bought 195 acres of unimproved land, and, by hard work, he has made one of the finest farms in Richland Township. He has held the offices of Collector and Assessor two years, Constable, Trustee and School Director. He is a man of influence in the community in which he resides. His wife was born in Germany, and came to this country when quite young; they were married in 1861, in Tete des Morts Township, and have eight children, five boys and three girls.
DANIEL McALLISTER, deceased; born in September, 1827, in Ireland; came to Iowa in 1847, and resided in Jackson Co. till his death, March 29, 1872. His wife was born in Ireland in 1827, and came to America at the age of 16, and was married in 1845, in New Jersey. They own 120 acres of land; have three children - John, Elizabeth and Matthew; lost four children - James, Susan Ann, David and Rhodie. James was killed March 20, 1873, by accident while blasting a log at their residence. Susan A. married Mr. Donahue, of Dubuque, and died in April, 1879; Rhodie died in infancy.
CALVIN E. NORTHROP, of the firm of Northrop & Glaser, dealers in furniture, main street, Maquoketa; a native of Franklin Co., Vt., and was born June 5, 1823. From his 12th year, he lived in New York, and learned the furniture business. In May, 1853, he came to Iowa, located in Maquoketa, and engaged in the furniture business. He bought the property he now occupies, and has carried on the furniture business in the same location over twenty-six years; he is the oldest furniture dealer in this city, or in Jackson Co.; he has been engaged in the business longer than and other merchant, except P. Mitchell. He married Miss H. M. Bond, from Niagara Co., N. Y., in 1845. They have five children - Sanford E., Frank, Alfred, Clara and Charlie.
LEVI ROUSH submitted by Sherri Feller
LEVI ROUSH, farmer; P. O. Fulton; was born in Wabash Co., Ind., april 17, 1843; in 1854, he removed with his parents, George and Annie Roush, to Jackson Co., Iowa, and settled in Farmer's Creek Township, where he remained until 1862, when he enlistedi n Co. B, 26th I.V.I., and served nearly a year, when his health began to fail, and he was discharged on account of disability. Oct. 23, 1864 , he married Miss Martha J., daughter of Washington and Tacy Teter, early settlers of Farmer's Creek Township ; they have four children - James E., Elmon E., Washington W. and John B. Mr. Roush is Independent in politics; he has been elected to various local offices; his father now resides in Warren co., Iowa; his mother died in 1866; their children are George (who is married, and resides in this township) Elijah (married, also lives in this township), Harriet (married A. Baker, they live in Woodbury Co., Iowa), John (married and resides in this township), Samuel (also married, and a resident of this township), Enoch (married, and a resident of this township), Hiram (married, and lives in Warren Co., Iowa), Nancy (married B. Koon, livesin Woodbury Co., Iowa), Minnie (married Hiram Brown - he served during the war in an Iowa regiment - they live in Kansas), Levi (whose name heads this sketch), Emily (married James Teters, they reside in this township), Annie (married William Sutton, he served in the 26th I.V.I., during the war, they reside in Maquoketa).
PETER SCHELTZ submitted by James Kevin Purcell.
PETER SCHELTZ, Farmer, Sec. 4; P.O. La Motte; born in Luxembourg, Germany; in 1825; came to America in 1853; came to Iowa and bought eighty acres. His wife, Miss Mary Willbiss, was born in Luxembourg in 1823; they were married in the old country in 1848; their children are Mary, Katie, Annie (now Mrs. Dr. Nick Hoffman), John, Mary Ann, Michael, Nicholas, Kittie; deceased, Micharel and Nick.
SAMUEL SUTTON submitted by Sherri Feller
SAMUEL SUTTON, farmer, Sec. 17; P.O. Iron Hills; was born in Fayette Co., Penn. , March 25, 1830 . In 1851, he removed to Iowa , with his parents, and settled in Farmer's Creek Township , where he now resides. In 1856, he married Sarah W. Flitcraft, a native of Columbiana Co., Ohio . They have five children - Theodore, Isaac, Mary A., Samuel and John. In politics, Mr. Sutton is a Democrat. He owns 172 acres of land, finely improved, and has one of the best agricultural farms in Farmer's Creek Township . His father, James Sutton, married in Pennsylvania , Martha Thompson. They emigrated to Iowa in 1851, and settled in Farmer's Creek Township , where he resided until his death, in 1878. She is still living, and resides with her son Samuel. Mrs. Samuel Sutton's parents, Levi and Christina Flitcraft, came to Jackson Co. in 1855; they are now deceased.
WASHINGTON TETER submitted by Sherri Feller
WASHINGTON TETER, farmer, sec. 15; p.o. Fulton ; a native of Ohio , was born in Morgan co. in 1820. In 1841, he married, in his native county, Miss Tacy Sutton, a native of Fayette Co., Penn. In 1851, they emigrated to Jackson Co., Iowa , and settled in Farmer's Creek Township . They have four children -- James, who married Emily Rousch, and resides in this (Farmer's Creek) township; Martha, married Levi Rousch, of Farmer's Creek Township ; Jacob, also a resident of Farmer's Creek, and William. Mr. Teter owns 122 acres of land. Politically, he is in sympathy with the National Greenback movement. His father, Jacob Teter, a native of Greene Co., Penn. , married Miss Sarah Pickenpan; they emigrated to Iowa in 1849, and settled in Van Buren Co., where he died in 1850; she is now living in Guernsey Co., Ohio . Their living children are David (who married, and resides in Kansas ), Mary (now the wife of H. Gorrell; he served in the cause of the Union , was a brave soldier, and is now deceased), Washington, John (married, live in Oregon ), Sarah (now Mrs. L. Williams, of Guthrie Co., Iowa ). Mrs. Teter's father, James Sutton, was a native of Fayette Co., Penn. Married Martha Thompson, a native of Chester Co., Penn.; they moved to Morgan Co., Ohio, thence to Iowa, in 1851; they settled in Farmer's Creek Township, Jackson Co., where he resided until his death; she is still a resident. Their living children are Lucy (the wife of Washington Teter), Susanna (wife of William Trimble), Sarah (wife of E. Crouch), Samuel, Martha (wife of J. S. Thompson), William (served in an Iowa regiment during the war); six children deceased - one of whom (James ) died while in the service of his country, at St. Louis, Mo., during the rebellion.
JEREMIAH WIDEL, Carpenter and joiner, Baldwin;
born Jan. 16, 1815, in Berks Co., Penn. In 1832, went to Buffalo, N. Y., and learned his trade, and, in July,
1836, came to Chicago, then a very small town; remained there till February,
1837, then, in company with three others, came to Camanche, Clinton Co., and
assisted in putting up the first house there, a log one, making that his home
till 1845; came to Brandon Township, of this county. In the summer of 1838,in company with three others, made a
tour into Cedar Co., stopping at Jo. Denson’s, at Massillon, and went up to
what was known as onion grove, and purchased a claim, which he afterward
disposed of, the same now belonging to the estate of James Laughrie. In 1847, moved into Monmouth Township,
and returned to Canton in 1851, and back to Baldwin in 1870. Married Miss Catherine Groat March 24,
1842; she was born March 7, 1823, in New York. Have eight children - James,
Adeline, Clymena, Maria, George and Hulbert A. and Herbert A., twins, and John;
lost four - Sarah and Eliza, and two infants. Mr. Widell is a member of the M. E. church; National.