History of Johnson County, Iowa
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Mary Hitchcock.
W. B. Fackler, farmer, post-office Ely, Linn county; was born in PA, November 23, 1830. When three years of age his parents, Samuel and Eliza, moved to Richland county, OH, where they lived seven years, then moved to Wisconsin, where the subject of theis sketch resided until 1863, when he came to Johnson county, and now owns 84 acres of land in Big Grove township. He was married July 10, 1855 to Elizaabeth Turnbull, a native of NY state. They have five sons; William H., Charles F., James T., Jerome U. and Elmer C. William H. was born June 12, 1856 , and married December 25, 1877 to Florence S. Hahn, a native of Linn county. They have one son, Edgar C. He is the owner of 78 acres of land.
William L. Figg of South Liberty was born in Richmond, Old Virginia, on the 12th of June 1812.In 1844 he left his native town and state and emigrated to Indiana, where he lived for 2 years. In 1846 he came to Iowa found his way to South Liberty, entered land from the government and went back to Indiana. In 1846 he returned to South Liberty, and settled on his homestead, where he died on the 8th of April 1879. He was then in his 68th year at his death. Esquire Figg was by no means a common man. For 14 years a justice of the peace, a member of the board of supervisors, besides filling other offices of trust, he had the respect and confidence of his neighbors and a large circle of acquaintances. He had a family of fifteen children.
George Floerchinger, proprietor Oxford House. Was born in Germany, December 1834 and came to America January 1869 to Johnson County and followed farming until the fall of 1881 when he bought the Oxford House, the first building erected in the town, having been built by his brother F. A. in 1869. He also owns a farm of 80 acres. He was married January 4, 1860 to Jennie Worf; she died in August 1868. He was again married December 13, 1868 to KatieWorf. There are 4 children by the first marriage and 5 by the second. In 1879 he went back to Germany, but only remained about three months not liking the country as well as this.
Jacob Floerchinger, retired farmer, post-office, Oxford; was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 10, 1817 and spent his early life in his native country. He came to America in November 1839 and went to Pennsylvania and worked on railroads, canals, and coal mines until the spring of 1842, when he returned to Germany and was put in the army and served two years and a half, when he bought a substitute, costing him 330 goulding. He came back to America in 1845 and lived in Wilkesbarre PA and worked at the coal mines until September 1855 he started west and landed in Iowa City Oct. 4. He bought 160 acres of land in Oxford township of John Cook and has since been engaged in farming, and has by industry and economy added to his estate and now owns 360 acres of fine land, besides town property. He was married Feb. 12, 1846 in Luzerne County PA to Miss Margaret Scherrer a native of Hamburg. They have four children; Frank J., John, Helena Agnes and Ann Elizabeth, and one, Mary Ann deceased. All except Mrs. Floerchinger are Catholic in faith, she being a Presbyterian.
Edward G. Fracker, secretary and manager of the New Method Heater Company of Iowa City ; was born May 5, 1838 , in Zanesville , OH . He was married, September 4, 1866 , to Miss Mollie Cutler, of Iowa City ; she died in April, 1871. Of this marriage there is one child living, George A. He married again, August 19. 1874, to Miss Cora V. Robbins of Iowa City . They have one child, Howard R. He was a faithful soldier in the late civil war; he enlisted July 18, 1861 , as a musician; promoted to first sergeant July 18, 1862 , and promoted to second lieutenant September 4, 1862 , and was adjutant of the regiment. He resigned in 1864 on account of disability. He is a republican in politics; was a member of the city council in 1880, and city assessor in 1882. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., L. of H. and V. A. S. societies of Iowa City .
George Fracker, was born in 1795, in Boston , Massachusetts , died in Iowa City , October 12, 1880 . He was reared in the atmosphere of industry, frugality, and intelligence that characterized so many of the New England homes of nearly a hundred years ago. His father was a boat builder living at the “North End.” The father's occupation brought the sons in contact with a sea-faring life, and George naturally determined to try the sea, at least long enough to enable him to see something of the world. When about twenty-one years old he sailed on board a vessel bound for a South American port. At Buenos Ayres, the vessel having changed her destination, he obtained his release, and shipped as second officer on the English ship Jane, bound for the Brazils . This vessel was wrecked a few weeks later at the mouth of the Rio de la Plata , and all on board except Mr. Fracker perished. He, with a broken leg and many severe bruises and cuts, escaped to a desert shore to suffer for several days pains worse than death. His published account of his experiences and sufferings is one of absorbing interest. He received the kindest treatment from a Creole family, who discovered him wounded, naked and helpless amid the debris of the wreck, ministered to him, protected him from the savages, and enabled him to communicate with Monteveido, whence assistance was sent. The very night after he left the ranche of his faithful friends, the Guachos, who are merciless savages of that section, attacked it, robbed him of everything and killed the son who had first found him in his distress. After reaching Monteveido he was most kindly cared for by humane people of all nationalities. He reached Boston again in 1818, where he was soon offered a position as teacher in the public schools, which he accepted and held for eleven years. Soon after beginning teaching he was married, but his wife lived but a few years. By this marriage three children were born, one of them dying in infancy, and one of them in New Orleans at the age of twenty-two; another Dudley S. Fracker, died in Ohio nine years ago. In 1882 he was married at Roxbury , Massachusetts , to Fanny L. Richardson, whom for years all our citizens have known. By this marriage there were eleven children, nine of whom still live. Mr. Fracker removed from Boston to Zanesville , OH where he continued for a time to teach, and afterwards engaged in banking. He lived in Zanesville for nineteen years, and then removed to Washington in the same state, where he continued in a bank. In 1856he move to Iowa City , where, in active life or in the decrepitude of advancing age, he continued to live until his death.
of the Gospel; was born in Herkimer county, New York, Jan. 10, 1816;
is the son of William and Hannah Frazee. Was raised on a farm and educated
in the common schools. In 1836 he was married to Miss Catharine Coleman
of Chenango county, New York. To this union were born eight children,
five living: Susan V., Joseph M., Louisa, Almond and Clarissa; this
wife died in 1849, and he was again married in 1853, to Rosanna Campbell
of this county. To this union was born five children, four living: Elroy,
Frank, Bertha and Ward. his second wife died in may, 1862, and he was
again married to Mrs. Sarah J. Largent on the 20th day of October, 1863.
She was formerly from Ohio. In 1845, Mr. Frazee came to Iowa, and has
lived in this county every since. Has followed farming and preaching,
he being a local preacher of the U. b. Church for a number of years.
Has also been engaged in the manufacture and sale of what is well and
favorably known as the Frazee medicine. His health having failed, he
is now unable to do any work, and lives in Shueyville.