History of Johnson County, Iowa
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Mary Hitchcock.
Hon. William J. Haddock, a resident of Iowa City, and engaged in the practice of law, was born February 28, 1835, near Belfast, county Antrim Ireland; came to America in 1849; landed at Philadelphia, PA. He was married August 2, 1865 , to Miss Emma Humphrey, of Tipton , IA a graduate of the State University . She was the first woman admitted to practice law by the U.S. Court . Mr. Haddock was admitted to the bar in 1862, and entered the law office of Hon. Rush Clark as a partner February 8, 1867 , and remained such until his death. He graduated from the normal department of the State University in June, 1862. He was appointed September 23, 1872 , judge of the eighth judicial circuit court of Iowa , and served the unexpired term. He was appointed secretary of the board of regents of the State University June 28, 1864 , and has served in that capacity continuously since. He was appointed by the Secretary of the Interior of the United State on a committee to investigate charges of fraud against the Indian Agent of the Pawnee tribe. A republican in politics and is an active and earnest worker in all matters pertaining to his party.
Captain George R. Hall, a farmer residing in Sharon township, post-office Iowa City ; was born January 7, 1840 , in Washington County NY . He was a soldier in company E, one hundred and twenty-third New York regiment; went in as a first lieutenant and came out a captain; he is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Iowa City. He was married November 25, 1868 , to Miss Mary R. Guffin of Sharon township. They have four children; Modena J., Ernest H., Clarence W., and Ruth E. Is a republican in politics, and the present township clerk; has been assessor, and he took the federal census of Sharon township in 1880; he is also president of the Butter and Cheese Association. He is one of Sharon township's successful business men.
Thomas R. Hall (deceased), was born on the 15th day of December, 1819, in Albermarle County , VA ; was the son of Richie and Sarah Hall; was raised on a farm; learned the carpenter trade. August 10, 1843 . he was married to Miss Nancy M. Martin of Augusta County, VA. They have six children; John W., Elizabeth E., wife of J.W. Graham; Robert C., Eliza C., Cinderella C., and Cora A. In January, 1855 he came to Iowa , and settled in Johnson County ; first in Shueyville, where he followed his trade. He purchased 240 acres of land in section 9 and moved there, where he farmed and worked at his trade up to the time of his death, which occurred November 22, 1871 . He was a member of the Methodist Church , and held the office of Justice of the Peace and trustee of his township. He was a good citizen, a faithful husband, and a kind father.
Emerson M. Ham, post-office, Iowa City ; was born in Pennsylvania , May 13, 1855 . At the age of six months his parents moved to this county. Here he has spent his youth and early manhood, receiving a common school education. He was married here December 21, 1877 to Eveline Oathout, a native of New York . They have two boys: Roy E., Walter G. He was the owner of eighty acres of well improved land in section 31 Scott township; he was a member of the Lutheran Church in this city.
Jonathan Ham, a resident of Scott township, post-office, Iowa City and by occupation a farmer; was born in Mifflin County, PA in 1830; settled in Johnson County in the fall of 1855; and bought his present farm in 1864. He was united in marriage in 1852 to Miss Annie Coffman, a native of the same county and place of Mr. Ham. They had twelve children, eight are living: Emerson E., Sallie C., Lucy A., Lillie M., Carrie, Jennie, Jessie J., and John; and those dead are Jared, Ella and two infants. The family of Mr. Ham are members of the Lutheran Church . When he came to this county he was without means; his only capital was his labor, and by economy and industry has secured a splendid home.
EZRA HAMILTON, farmer, residing in Sharon township, on section 19; was born March 28, 1840, in Morgan county, Ohio; came to Iowa with his parents, and settled in Big Grove township, near Solon, in 1843, and in 1845 settled in Washington township. He was married March 28, 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Kessler. This union is blessed with three children: Annie, Wayne, and Elmer. He is one of Sharon township's successful farmers; has a fine farm with good buildings, and plenty of good stock. A republican in politics; has filled the office of township trustee.
Hezekiah Hamilton, farmer and stock-raiser, post-office Tiffin; was born in Butler Co. OH, March 26, 1829, and at the age of nine came to Iowa with his parents and settled in what is now Johnson Co; they first lived three miles below where Iowa City now is on the west side of the river, one-half mile west of the old Indian fort built by an Indian trader, named Gilbert. His father’s name was Yale Hamilton, and when they came here there were only about twelve or thirteen families in what is now Johnson Co. After a few years they moved to Iowa City, where Hezekiah attended school, and in 1848 came to where he now lives, in section 25 Oxford township, and where he owns 397 acres of fine land, also 243 acres in Shelby Co. and has one of the finest home residences in the county. He was married September 1849 to Mary E. Douglass, a daughter of Ebenezer Douglass, who came here from Richland Co. OH, April 10. 1839. They have five children, viz.: Josephine, now Mrs. Dr. Wilcox; Nettie, now Mrs. Burge, in Shelby Co.; George, married and living at home; Ebenezer, at home, and Ella now Mrs. Rev. Swartz in Cedar Rapids. Mr. Hamilton and family are members of the Christian Church at Tiffin.
Mrs. Mary A. Hamilton, a resident of Clear Creek township, post-office Tiffin; was born June 20, 1838, in Worthington, Franklin Co., OH; came to Muscatine, (then Bloomington) Iowa, in 1840. She had but few school privileges, yet under her mother’s instruction was able to teach at twelve years of age in payment for tuition in higher branches than she could pursue at home. At fifteen years of age she passed her first examination by a school board, and for five years taught continuously, with no vacation. In 1860 she entered the Normal school at Iowa City; attended school in Iowa City two years. She was married March 2, 1862, to J. C. Hamilton, of Clear Creek, and has resided on the farm near Tiffin ever since. This union is blessed with the following named children: Lyman P. (dead), Arthur C., Frank A., Walter C., Irving L., Helen A. (dead), Alice E., and Bessie Belle; her husband had by his first wife two children: Charlie W., and Emma. At the age of fifteen she began writing for the press, usually poetry, though a series of character sketches attracted much attention, which proved that prose was her field. She wrote under the signature of “Kitty Carroll” for numerous leading papers in Iowa- among them the Muscatine Journal, Dubuque Herald, Burlington Hawkeye, Keokuk Post and Tipton Advertiser. About ten years ago at the request of Capt. S.D. Pryce, then editor of the Republican, she commenced a series of local letters from Tiffin which is said to be the genesis of “country correspondence” in the state, which she has kept up more or less irregularly since in the Republican, Iowa City Journal, Investigator, Oxford Journal and State Press, which latter have controlled her exclusive labors in that respect for a year and a half, paying a liberal rate for the same.
Samuel G. Hanke, a farmer, residing in West Lucas township; was born February 17, 1821, near Berlin, Prussia; came to America and landed in New York City, July 4, 1850; came to Iowa in 1855, and to Johnson County in 1867. He was married July 14, 1852 , to Miss Fredickie Key; they have one son, William. They are members of the German Lutheran Church of Iowa City. Democratic in politics; his son William is one of the Trustees of Lucas township. They make a specialty of raising fine cattle; they have sold all their fine stock of Holstein cattle, and William contemplates a trip to Europe to secure and import the finest stock of cattle he can fine.
BARTLETT HANLEY, a resident of Iowa City and proprietor of the Mansion House, on the corner of Maiden Lane and Lafayette street. Was born in May, 1838, in Ireland; came to America in 1848; landed in New York; came to Iowa City in 1856. He was married February 12th, 186l, to Miss Julia E. Carney of Iowa City. This union is blessed with five living children: Anthony, George, Mary, Midgie and Johnnie. He is a democrat in politics and always takes a lively interest in the question of his party ticket. The family are members of the St. Patrick Roman Catholic Church of Iowa City. He built the Mansion House in 1879, a frame building two and one- half stories high with sixteen rooms.
Among those citizens who contribute in full measure to the high standing which Mt. Vernon township enjoys as a progressive and altruistic community must be numbered Charles Harms, who is one of the fellowship pursuing the honorable vocation of agriculture. He is a native of Wisconsin , having first seen the light of day on the first of January, 1867 . As is the case with a large percentage of America 's finest and stanchest stock, Mr. Harms is of Teutonic extraction, his father, Henry Harms, having been born in Hanover , Germany , in 1830. The elder man answered the beckoning finger of opportunity from the shores of the new world and crossed the Atlantic about the year 1860. He located in Illinois and at the outbreak of the Civil war enlisted from Lee county in Company A. of the Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He saw extensive service, his regiment being frequently in the thickest of the fight and in the battle of Gettysburg he was unfortunate enough to be wounded. At the time of his honorable discharge had had served for a period covering three years and three months. Shortly afterward he went to Lafayette county, Wisconsin , where he lad the foundations of a home, buying a small farm of ten acres and marrying. He remained there for something like a score of years, gaining in worldly goods, and in 1886, sold out his holdings and came to Cerro Gordo county, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of wild land at twelve dollars an acre. This was situated in section 16, Mt. Vernon township. It requires some stretch of imagination to realize that even at that time there were only about a dozen settlers in the township. Mr. Harms, the father, cleared his land and successfully cultivated it up to the time of his demise, which occurred on January 19, 1903 . Mr. Harms' mother, who maiden name was Catherine Tipp, was born in Hanover , Germany , in September, 1842, and died November 4, 1890 . There were three children in the family, two daughters and one son. Mrs. Martha (Harms) Latham, born October 9, 1865 , died April 21, 1897 , and Miss Pauline Harms, died July 25, 1895 . Mr. Harms in the only one of the children living at the present time. He was only eighteen at the time of his father's removal to Cerro Gordo county, and has always made his home upon the farm. He attended the graded schools and under the paternal tutelage become soundly grounded in the best agricultural methods. He now owns the old homestead of one hundred and sixty fertile acres, has erected the substantial buildings which grace it, has set out groves of tress, and improved it in every way, making it not only abundant in fruitage but also attractive in aspect. He stands well among his neighbors as a public spirited citizen and is now giving a faithful service as constable of the township. Both he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran church at Rockwell, to which they give not only spiritual but material support. Mr. Harms is an earnest supporter of the principles and policies inaugurated by the Republican party and takes a keen pleasure in studying public affairs and the best interests of the community.
On December 16, 1896, Mr. Harms too as his bride Miss May Johnson, who is a native of Cerro Gordo county, having been born in Mason township, December 7, 1878. She is a daughter of Peter and Augusta (Groluf) Johnson, both natives of Germany and now residing in Bath township. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been residents of Cerro Gordo county for over thirty years. Two children are growing up under the roof of Mr. and Mrs. Harms, these being a daughter and a son, Selena and Lyle H.
George Hartsock, a farmer, residing in Sharon township, postoffice Iowa City. Was born February 6, 1830, in Pennsylvania; went with his parents to Belmont county, O., and lived there twelve years, and finally in 1847 moved with his farther [father], John Hartsock, and settled in Sharon township, Johnson county, Iowa. He was married January 1st, 1856, to Miss Elizabeth C. Huff; she died August 19th, 1865. This union is blessed with following named children: Marietta, wife of Emory Ives, Eva M., wife of C. J. Nagy, Jennie S., wife of Edwin Hummer, Jessie A. and Jacob M. June 16, 1866,he married Mattie E. Hay; by this union they had two children: Homer E. and George L. After the death of this wife he married Mary A. Evans, October 1, 1874; by this union came one child, Stella. This wife died January 31, 1880. He is a republican in politics. He is one Sharon township's successful farmers, and is comfortably situated on 220 acres of good land.
Under this title is conducted in Mason City an enterprise that is one of the most important of its kind in northern Iowa, and the shops of the company have the best of modern equipment for the executing of all kinds of repairs on automobiles. The establishment includes the repair department, a well-equipped garage and automobile livery, and also storage facilities of adequate order. The headquarters of the company are located at the corner of Fifth and Washington streets. The company was incorporated on the 15th of September, 1906 , and its officers are Charles E. Hathorn, president, and William H. Hathorn, secretary and treasurer. These two executives also comprise the board of directors. The company represent a number of the leading automobiles concerns of the county, and are agents for the sale of the Stevens-Duryea, the E. M. F., the Flanders , and the Chalmers cars. In the summer season employment is given to a corps of about ten men, and the business is of substantial order throughout the entire year. The two brothers who are the interested principals are number among the valued and representative business men of Mason City , and concerning them individual mention is made on other pages of this work.
The president of the Hathorn Automobile Company, of Mason City , is recognized as one of the representative business men and sterling citizens of his native county, and his technical ability, fine initiative, constructive powers and progressive ideas have been the agencies through which he has pushed forward to the goal of worthy success. Concerning the company of which he is the executive head specific description is given on other pages of this work, and in the sketch of the career of his brother, William H. Hathorn, who is secretary and treasurer of the company mentioned, is given due record concerning their parents, so that it is not necessary to repeat the data in the present connection.
Charles Edward Hathorn was born on the home farm near Clear Lake , Cerro Gordo county, Iowa , on the 6th of December, 1879 , and in this county he has since maintained his home save for a period of about three years, during which the family resided at his father's old home in Rock county, Wisconsin . Mr. Hathorn duly availed himself of the advantages of the public schools and his inherent mechanical talent was fostered from his boyhood days, as he early began to assist in the work of his father's blacksmith shop, where he gained much facility in mechanical work, having been literally reared in the business. When his father established the Hathorn Foundery Machine company in Mason City he identified himself with the practical work and also the executive management of the business, and he was superintendent of the shops for several years. When about twenty-two years of age, for the purpose of gaining further experience, he was employed for a time as a locomotive fireman on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. After quitting railroad service he was engaged as superintendent of construction for the Invincible Bank Protection Company for a period of about two and one-half years. The headquarters of the concern were later removed from Cedar Rapids , Iowa , to Wisconsin . Mr. Hathorn's next position was that of superintendent of the repair shop of the Mason Carriage Works, at Davenport , Iowa , and here he gained most thorough experience in automobile repair work—a knowledge that has proved of inestimable value to him in connection with the business of the company of which he is now president. He is a careful and conservative business man and a citizen well worthy of the high regard in which he is held in his native county. His political views are indicated by the sturdy way in which he marches under the banner of the Republican party, and in his home city he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Brotherhood of America. Mr. Hathorn is a bachelor.
Cerro Gordo has represented the home of William H. Hathorn from the time of his infancy and he is a member of one of the well known and highly esteemed families of this county, where his father took up his abode in the year 1879, and during the intervening years the name has stood not less significant of loyal and worthy citizenship than it has of splendid mechanical ability. He who name initiates this article is secretary and treasurer of the Hathorn Automobile Company, of Mason City , and his elder brother, Charles E., is president of the company, of which they also constitute the board of directors. A brief sketch of the concern appears on other pages of this work, as does also a review of the career of the president of the company.
William Henry Hathorn was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, on the 30th of January, 1881 , and was an infant at the time of the family removal to the former home in Cerro Gordo county, Iowa . He is a son of Henry W. and Emma L. (Jones) Hathorn, the former of whom was born in Rock county, Wisconsin , in 1856, and latter in Ohio , their marriage having been solemnized in Wisconsin , to which state the parents of Mrs. Hathorn removed when she was a child. Henry W. Hathorn was reared and educated in his native state, and there he learned the trades of both carpenter and blacksmith. In 1879 he removed with his family to Cerro Gordo county, Iowa, making the overland trip with a team and covered wagon, and he located a short distance north of Clear Lake, where he erected a blacksmith shop, which served as the family abiding place until the completion of the regular dwelling home. Henry W. Hathorn successfully conducted his shop and also operated his farm, but finally he returned to Janesville , Wisconsin , in which city the subject of this sketch was born. In 1882 the family returned from Wisconsin to the home farm near Clear Lake , and there the father continued to reside until 1890, when he took up his residence in Mason City , where he founded and conducted a successful business, under the title of the Hathorn Foundry & Machine Company. With this substantial enterprise he continued to be actively identified until 1904, and it is now conducted under the title of Vulcan Iron Works. In the year last mentioned Mr. Hathorn disposed of the business and removed to Grinnell, this state, whence he later went to the city of Chicago , and finally he removed from the great western metropolis of Rochester , New York , where he and his wife now maintain their home. There he is engaged in the manufacturing of a trip-hammer that was invented and patented by him and that has found a ready demand not only throughout the United States but also in foreign country owing to its superiority over the types formerly used. He has fine mechanical and inventive ability, and among a number of his valuable inventions may be mentioned a loop and strap for felt boots and the “Jumbo” windmill. His present industrial enterprise is conducted upon an extensive scale and is proving a splendid success. Henry W. Hathorn is a Republican in his political allegiance, is affiliated with Modern Woodmen of America, and both he and his wife are zealous members of the Baptist church, in which he was, for a number of years, superintendent of the Sunday school at Clear Lake, this county. Besides the two sons individually mentioned in this work here are two other sons and two daughters – Oliver L., who is identified with business interests in Mason City ; Frank J., who is associated with his father's business in Rochester, New York ; Cora G., who is a student in Rochester University ; and Rose H., who is attending the public schools in Rochester.
William H. Hathorn gained his early education in the public schools of Cerro Gordo county, and his special aptitude as a youth is shown in that when but fourteen years of age he learned stenography and bookkeeping, in both of which lines he became proficient. From 1895 to 1897, inclusive, he was employed as stenographer and clerk in the law office of Cliggitt & Rule, of Mason City , after which he attended school here for a period of eight months, within which he covered two and on-half years of high school work. After leaving school he secured a position in the office of the construction engineer of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, in which connection he was employed about eight months, during the construction of the line from Belle Plaine, Iowa to Blue Earth, Minnesota . He next assumed charge of the office business of the Hathorn Foundry & Machine Company, in Mason City, and he continued to serve in this capacity until his father sold the business in 1904. Thereafter he was assistant manager of the Bickel Produce Company, of Mason City, until the spring of the following year, when he returned to the law office of Cliggitt, Rule & Keeler, where he remained until September, 1906, when he became associated with his brother Charles E. in the organization and incorporation of Hathorn Automobile Company, concerning which adequate mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Hathorn is known as one of the wide-awake and progressive young business men of Mason City , and in his character and activities he is well upholding the high prestige of the name which he bears. He is a Republican in his political proclivities, is affiliated with the local organizations of the Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen of America, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Baptist church.
On the 16th of June, 1903, Mr. Hathorn was united in marriage to Miss Daisy I. Brown, who was born and reared in Cerro Gordo county and who is the daughter of Andrew C. Brown, a representative horse dealer of this county, where his father, the late John G. Brown, took up his residence in the early pioneer epoch. Mr. and Mrs. Hathorn have one son, William Brown Hathorn, who was born on the 1st of January, 1910 , and who thus proved a royal and welcome New Year's guest in the pleasant home.
John Henry, farmer and postmaster, Shoo Fly. Was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, October 13, 1822; when one year of age his father moved to Ohio, afterwards to Indiana, and finally to Lee county, Iowa, in 1846, and the subject of this sketch came to Johnson county in 1851, and settled in what is now Fremont township, where he has since resided. He now owns 130 acres of land, and for several years kept the post-office of "Shoo Fly." He was married October, 1856, to Mrs. Sarah Wheeler, formlery Miss Wonders, a native of Iowa. They have no children; Mrs. Henry having two by her first husband, viz: Elizabeth, now Mrs. Joseph Draubaugh, and Mary A., now Mrs. Newell.
Florence M. Hess submitted by Darrell Manrique
Miss Florence M. Hess, a teacher in the third grade, in the 3d ward. She graduated from the Iowa City high school in June, 1878, and graduated from S. U. I., in June, 1882. The present term is her first experience in teaching school.
Miss Florence M. Hess, a teacher in the third grade, in the 3d ward. She graduated from the Iowa City high school in June, 1878, and graduated from S. U. I., in June, 1882. The present term is her first experience in teaching school.
Eugene Hilts, a farmer and stock-raiser, is a factor in that substantial agricultural class which has done more than anything else to give Cerro Gordo county its strength. He is by birth an easterner, his birth having occurred in Gouverneur, St. Lawrence county, New York, February 12, 1866. He is the son of Theodore and Bertha (Tibbetts) Hilts, natives of New York and members of old families. The father was of Mohawk Dutch descent, his father having been a native of Holland. Mr. Hilts' father engaged in farming during most of his active life and saw service during the Civil war as a member of a New York regiment. He is now sixty-eight years of age, is retired, and is residing in East Tawas, Michigan. The mother died in 1874, when a comparatively young woman, and the father married again. Mr. Hilts has one sister, Mrs. Byron Barriger, of De Kalb Junction, St. Lawrence county, New York .
Eugene Hilts was reared in New York , received a common-school education and is practically a self-made man. When he came to Iowa he had no capital to speak of, but managed well and has been successful. He now owns and operates one hundred and sixty acres of land finely improved by himself. This is located in Grant township. The date of his arrival in Cerro Gordo county is February 4, 1889 . During most of the years since the attainment of his majority, Mr. Hilts has given his support to the Republican party, although he is not too much partisan to support a measure he believes to be right if advocated by the other. He has the interest of the county at heart and has served as trustee for the past six years. He and his family are members of the United Brethren church.
Mr. Hilts was married in 1881 to Miss Dora Booth, a native of Grant township and a daughter of Mrs. Susan Booth, who still resides here, at the age of eight-four years. The father died in 1904, aged eight and a half years. Mr. and Mrs. Hilts are the parents of two sons : Elton C., aged eighteen years and Carroll aged four.
Beaumont S. Holmes, a resident of Iowa City, engaged in the marble business on the corner of Court and Clinton streets; was born March 19, 1816, in Oneida county, New York; came to Johnson county in March, 1841, and went back to his native state in the fall of that year, and was married April 27, 1842, to Miss Rachel W. Lathrop, of Oneida county, New York. They have six children: Dewitt C., Tryphena, wife of Charles Golden, of Newton, Iowa; Makins B., Eva V., Ella V., a graduate of the State University, and Carrie, wife of Louis Johnson, of Decorah, Iowa. Mr. Holmes is a member of the Congregational Church of Iowa City. a republican in politics, and served one term on the Iowa City school board. He started the first business in Iowa of cutting tombstones in 1843.
Frank J. Horak, a resident of Iowa City , and engaged in the practice of the law, with an office on the east side of Dubuque Street ; was born April 21, 1844 , in Bohemia , Austria . Graduated from the law department of the State University , June 23, 1879 . He was a faithful soldier in the Union army, enlisting in Company E. 46 th Iowa Infantry, in May 1864, and remained until the close of the war. He settled in Iowa City in October, 1880, having practiced law in Benton County one year, and it can be truthfully said that he is the only Bohemian attorney in Johnson County . He was married May 2, 1870 to Miss Katie Mosnat, of Belle Plaine, IA. They are blessed with three bright little children: Bertha Maude, Frank E., and Hugo Claude. Is a democrat in politics, and enjoys the confidence of his people. He is a member of the Legion of Honor in Iowa City . He was postmaster at Shueyville in 1865, to fill a vacancy. He came to America in August 1854, landing in New York City . He came to Rock Island by railroad and then to Iowa City in a wagon. He accidentally shot himself in his right elbow in October 1870 while in the act of taking a gun out of the wagon, on his return from a hunting expedition.
Jacob Horn, Post-office Western, farmer and stock-raiser; was born in Bedford County, PA , September 29, 1823 . Son of John and Catharine Horn. Was raised on a farm until he was fifteen years old, when his parents died, after which he served an apprenticeship to the wagon and buggy making trade, with Samuel Otto, in Bedford. After working four years with him, he then worked for a time in Cumberland City , Maryland . March 13, 1845 he was married to Miss Mary E. Smith, daughter of Frederick and Mary Smith of Bedford County , PA. To them were born nine children, seven are living; Joseph, W.S., in millinery business at Iowa City; Reuben S., Frederick F., William H., Stewart, Emma L., married to W. H. Cattrell, and Alice M. From 1845 to 1865 he followed his trade. In the spring of 1865 he came to Iowa and staid in Cedar County until the fall; he then came to this county and purchased 133 acres of land in section five, where he now resides. He afterwards bought of William Hall eighty acres in Linn County . Mr. Horn has followed farming ever since he has been in the State., until a few years ago, when the boys began to farm. He now superintends the farm and raises stock. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church. His wife was born November 29, 1826.
Benjamin M. Horner, was born June 27, 181 in Harrison County VA ; he moved to Ohio in the spring of 1837, and from there to Iowa in 1839. He engaged in farming for six years and then opened a wagon and carriage shop. He taught school during the winters of 1841 and 1842 in Madison township on the north bend; had about 20 scholars. He married February 16, 1841 , Miss Annie Wheatly, of Iowa City Township . They had two children: Marcellus, killed during the war at Sabine Cross Roads, LA, in company C. 28 th Iowa infantry; Carrie, the wife of Richard Wales, of Harveysburgh, Warren County Ohio. His wife died January 21, 1846 . He was married March 7, 1853 to Eliza Steele of Iowa City and she died August 19, 1880 . He was active in forming the first temperance organization called the Washingtonian, and delivered the first temperance lecture in Johnson County , at the residence of Dr. Jesse Bowsen, in the winter of 1840. He is a devoted member of the M.E. Church of Iowa City, and was the leader of the first M.E. Church class in Johnson County , at the Parrott Church in Scott Township . He was formerly a Whig, but now a republican in politics.
Joseph H. Horrell, farmer, Post-office, Lone Tree; was born in Mifflin County, PA November 16, 1837; at the age of ten he moved to Fayette County, PA., where he remained until 1864, when he emigrated to Johnson County IA., and settled in Fremont township, where he now owns 160 acres of land, a part of which he improved from raw prairie. He has held the office of township assessor, and now gives his attention to farming and raising stock. He was married November 24, 1861 to Miss Sarah A. Wood, a native of Fayette County , PA. They have had eight children, five of whom are now living, viz: William E, Isaac N., James C., Anna L., and Walter W.; those dead are Phebe E., Mary F. and Joseph H. Mr. Horrell is a member of the A.O. U. W., of Riverside , also a member of the Christian Church. Politically he is democratic and an advocate of the temperance cause.
Jacob J. Hotz, a resident of Iowa City ; was born July 3, 1853 in New York City . Contractor and member of the firm of Shinn & Hotz; carpenters and builders of Iowa City . Their shop is on North Gilbert Street opposite 119, residence on North Gilbert Street, No. 384. He was married September 5, 1875 , in Chicago , to Miss Delia Crawford, of that city. They have three children: Charles C., Frank W., and Guy J. He is a member of the St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church of Iowa City. He is a democrat in politics and September 30, 1882 received the democratic nomination for recorder of Johnson County . He has the contract for building the buildings for the Iowa City water works.
Simeon Hotz, was born February 18, 1819 in Fuetzen Baden, died in Iowa City November 6, 1881 . He came to America in the spring of 1850, and finally settled in Iowa City in 1857. He was married December 26, 1852 to Miss Barbara Williams. They had seven children, five of whom are living: Mesdames Hugel, Staub, Graf and Misses Ella and Julia. He was a member of the St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church of Iowa City, as well as a member of the St. Joseph Society. He was a shoemaker by trade, and worked at his trade until he went in partnership with Louis Englert in the city brewery. In 1857 he began brewing on his own account, and finally built the Union brewery in 1868, and opened up that brewery in 1869, in partnership with his son-in-law Mr. Geiger. In 1877 he was a victim of the railroad accident at Little Four Mile, on the C.R. I. & P. R.R., and was the last man rescued from the wreck after a confinement of seven hours. He was a soldier in Brentano's Army in the revolution of 1848, and he grounded arms in the platz of Carlsruhe in May 1849, when Duke Leopold retreated and left his duchy to Brentano, and the national committee. Leopold returned in August of the same year in the van of the Prussian army and the young patriot could no longer have a home in his native mountain land, and being exiled never more to return, he set his face toward the great liberty loving republic of America .
J. F. Houser, M.D., a resident of Iowa City, in the practice of medicine and surgery, office on the corner of Dubuque and Washington streets; was born February 2, 1837 in Switzerland; came to America in 1847, landed in New York. He served four years in the army; enlisted as a private in the First Wisconsin Battery, and was afterwards contract surgeon with the State of Wisconsin, and then became assistant surgeon United States Volunteers, and assigned to the First Wisconsin Battery; his vast experience in the army as surgeon qualifies him for the duties of that part of his profession much better than a limited experience over a dissecting table in a medical college; he graduated from the Medical College at Keokuk IA March 1882. He was married in 1858 to Miss Rosa Smith, and this union is blessed with one daughter: Carrie E.; his wife died in 1860, and June 30, 1865 he was married to Miss Delia Carpenter of Iowa and this union is blessed with one daughter: Lillian A. He is a democrat in politis; a member of the Masonic Society at West Branch, IA also a member of the A.O.U.W., Legion of Honor and United Order of Honor of Iowa City.
Charles Hubner, blacksmith, residing at Tiffin; was born April 26, 1850 in Prussia ; came to America , and settled in Iowa City in 1855 being only 5 years of age. He was married January 5, 1874 to Miss Katie Strub of Iowa City . They have two children, Fred and Lewis. He is independent in politics, and is a member of the Masonic Society, and the I.O.O.F., Iowa City . He learned his trade with G. Kettlewell of Iowa City , and his business and work show that he learned it well. He does all kinds of job work, wagon and carriage work and repairs all kinds of agricultural implements. His shop is near the C.R.I. & P. railroad depot.
Martin Hucek, a farmer in Lincoln township, post-office Lone Tree. Was born in 1843, in Austria ; came to America in 1855, and went to Milwaukee , WI and lived there one year, and then moved to Iowa City . He was married in 1860 to Miss Mary Groff. This union was blessed with the following children: John, born in 1861; Francis, born in 1863; Joseph, born in 1865; Mary born in 1867; Annie born in 1869; Frank born in 1871. He is a democrat in politics and voted against the prohibitory amendment; he was drafted in 1862 and sent a substitute.
Polly Hudson was born in Greenbriar County VA. , December 22, 1812 . Her parents moved to Indiana and from there to Illinois in 1829, where she was married June 27 to Joseph Hudson. They had three children, two now living: Jane., wife of Jacob S. Bowersox and James R.; both reside in Shueyville. In 1851 they came to Iowa and settled in this county, where Mr. Hudson died September 27, 1855 . Mrs. Hudson survives him and lives with her daughter in Shueyville. She did the first weaving of cloth and carpet in this township. From her was obtained some of the early history.
The subject of this sketch was born September 22, 1814 at Catawissa PA; died March 11, 1881 in Iowa City . He came to Iowa in 1838 and to Iowa City in 1841, and was engaged in the printing business with General Van Amptworth; he was State Senator from Johnson County from 1846 to 1849; he was treasurer of Johnson County from 1855-1859. He was married September 15, 1841 to Miss Louisa King, of Dubuque , IA. They had four children: Delia, wife of James Gow, of Greenfield , Adair County , IA ; Ellis G., living at Portland OR ; Annie G. living in Iowa City , with her mother, and Louisa E., principal of the Iowa City high school. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Iowa City; he was a member of I.O.O.F. societies of Iowa City . He was a soldier in the late civil war, as quartermaster of the 28 th regiment of Iowa Volunteer Infantry, commissioned August 15, 1862 ; was taken prisoner on the Red River expedition, and was held as such fourteen months at Fort Tyler , TX . He was a republican in politics since 1856; he was city clerk of Iowa City for the years 1869-70-71-72-78-79-80, and was clerk when he died. His health was broken down and he was partially blind in one eye from suffering in a rebel prison. He received a paralytic stroke in 1865 and recovered from it, and had second a stroke in September 1880, and partially recovered, and finally died of paralysis of the lungs. Mrs. Hughes fell and hurt herself Thanksgiving Day, 1881, and is probably a cripple for life; she was born August 23, 1823 , in the City of Baltimore and came to Dubuque IA in 1839.
George Hummer, a resident of Iowa City , engaged in the wholesale grocery business. Was born May 5, 1841 , in Burlington IA. He was married August 12, 1878 to Miss Helen Rider, of Iowa City . They were blessed with five children, four of them living: Mary L., Joseph E., George A., (dead), William J. and Leo. F. Mr. Hummer was formerly in the dry goods business in Iowa City until 1872, when he established the wholesale grocery house of George Hummer & Co., Nos. 328, 330, 332 corner of Washington and Linn Streets, main building 49 X 100 feet built in 1880 at a cost of $75,000; it is one of the fine business houses in Iowa City, a two story brick with basement; and their business is increasing every year. Andrew Hummer, his father, built the first brewery in Iowa , and brewed the first beer in Burlington , in 1837; got his supplies from Cincinnati by boat. His father died in 1849, and his mother died in 1848. Mr. Hummer is a democrat in politics, and a member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Iowa City ; he is one of the Iowa City leading business men, and is building up a large wholesale business by his own exertions and energy. His father-in-law, Mr. Rider, is a partner in the firm.
William Hunt, a resident of Iowa City, and the owner and proprietor of Hunt's Hotel, on College Street, south side numbers 18, 20, 22, and 24, near the Opera House; was born July 21, 1839 in Tipperary County, Ireland; came to America in 1854, and landed in New Orleans; came to and settled in Iowa City the same year. He is a butcher by trade. He was married August 19, 1866 to Miss Annie Boylan of Iowa City . This union is blessed with four children: Mary J. B., John W. M., Maggie E., and Nettie C. The family are members of the St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church of Iowa City. A democrat in politics, and has been honored, with an office at the hands of his party; he served in the city council from the 3d ward in 1878-1879. His hotel is well and favorably known, and the accommodations are good in every particular. Source: History of Johnson Co, IA 1836-1882, Page 849.
Adam Hunter (deceased), was born in 1796 in Ireland ; came to America in 1815. He was married in 1823 to Miss Elizabeth Morrison, at Little York, PA. He went into the mercantile business in 1823 in Baltimore , MD. and in 1827 moved to Youngstown , OH . Where he lived until 1850, when he settled in Schott Township , Johnson County IA , where he lived 26 years and whence he was buried in 1876. He had seven stalwart sons and four daughters. Andrew fell bravely defending his train and sleeps on a wild mountain side in Idaho . William died of wounds received during a federal cavalry charge in the late civil war. They have all grown to manhood and womanhood excepting one child dying in infancy, completing the patriarchal family of twelve sons born to the union of Adam Hunter and Elizabeth Morrison. He fell asleep at the ripe age of eighty years, after leading a wise life, leaving an example reaching far into the acts of those who knew him. Source: History of Johnson Co, IA 1836-1882, Page 849.
The subject of this sketch is the oldest resident citizen in Iowa City . Was born September 16, 1814 at West Newton , eight miles west of Boston , in Hillsborough County NH . He settled in Iowa City July 17, 1839 ; he is a carpenter and joiner by trade; built the first Presbyterian Church in Iowa City , that contained the celebrated “Hummer Bell.” He helped erect the first log house that was built in Iowa City . He went to California tin the fall of 1849 and came back in 1852, about as rich as he went. He was married October 19, 1843 in Iowa City to Miss Julia Maria Whetstone, of Cincinnati OH . This union has been blessed with nine children living and three dead, those living are: P Zelah W., married and living in Muscatine; Julia E., wife of P.M. Musser, a prominent attorney and banker at Muscatine; Charles J., a railroad engineer; Sophia W., Hannah J., Carrie W., S. Delia, Ada F. and Franklin Pierce. Those dead are : Laura Cl, wife of James Clark of Des Moines ; Willie and Robert. He is a member of the Masonic lodge of Iowa City . Is a republican in politics, and was the first marshal of Iowa City ; held the office two years. He had the small-pox in February 1864, and when he recovered from it, the sight of his left eye was affected, and in a few years he lost his sight in that eye, and then his right eye began growing dim, and finally lost his sight entirely.