Johnson County >> 1883 Index

History of Johnson County, Iowa
Iowa City, Ia.: [s.n.], 1883.

W


Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Mary Hitchcock.

John Wagner. The subject of this sketch was born 1795 and was 87 years of age at his death in July 1882. A typical German from Allendorf on the Lawn, Germany. He came to America in 1856, landed in New York City; he had a family of ten children: two died in Germany, and John, Louis, Peter, Philip, Katie, wife of J. B. Schaedler of Iowa City; Annie E., wife of J. B. Baumer, of Iowa City, and Antone. He was mayor of Allendorf twenty-one years and a custom house officer for seven years at Meinz on the Rhine; he came to America to get lands for his family of boys and lived to see all his children well settled in life. His daughter, Mrs. Baumer, was born December 11, 1842 in Germany, her husband, J. B. Baumer, was born in April 1823, in Switzerland and came to America in 1843; her first husband was Christian Haas, a brewer in Iowa City, to whom she was married August 7, 1860. This union was blessed with two children: Hannah K., wife of Fred Grandrath and Josie E., single and living with her mother; her husband died March 20, 1864; she married Oswald Swere November 28, 1865; he was killed at State Center, June 7, 1872, by a falling stone. She married Mr. Baumer November 28, 1876. By this union she has two children: John B. and August A. She is a member of the German Lutheran Church of Iowa City. Mr. Baumer is a Mason and Odd Fellow. He is a democrat in politics.  

John P. Wagner, a farmer residing in Washington township, post-office, Frank Pierce; was born May 11, 1845 in Licking County OH; came to Iowa in 1846 with his parents who settled in Washington township, on the farm upon which he now resides. He was married October 15, 1870 to Miss Carrie Van Meter of Iowa City. By this union they have two children: Thomas M. and Ella J. The family are members of the Christian Church, at Frank Pierce IA. A democrat in politics, and he is one of the successful farmers in Washington township, a fine farm with a splendid dwelling house and barn and plenty of good stock of all kinds.  

George W. Wagner, a farmer, residing in Sharon township, post-office, Iowa City, a son of George W. Wagner, deceased, of Washington township; was born May 24, 1859 in Washington township, Johnson County IA. He was married December 23, 1880 to Miss Jennie Shaver, only daughter of Capt. P. E. Shaver, of Washington township. A Democrat in politics. The people of Sharon township made him a justice of the peace in 1882, and that in a republican township speaks well for a young democrat's popularity. He went to California in 1880 and, after sight seeing a short time, concluded to settle down in Johnson County; he bought a farm in Sharon township of 300 acres, upon which he now resides and upon which is two fine orchards of about three acres each, a fine brick dwelling, a barn 30 X 80, and he built in 1882 a barn 38 X 76, and now has sufficient room for his farm products and shelter for his fine Spanish Merino Sheep, his Short-horn cattle and Poland China hogs. We can safely say he is a successful farmer, and not far from being a successful politician. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 149 at Dayton Washington County.  

John L. Waldron, a farmer residing in Lincoln township post-office Iowa City; was born May 24, 1818 near Pittsburg PA; came to Iowa in 1855. He was married in 1844 to Miss Isabella Steward of Pittsburg PA. In the fall of 1856 his wife and eldest son were frozen to death on the prairie near his home in Pleasant Valley township. While on their way home from meeting they got lost in a heavy snow storm and Mr. W. got out of his wagon to find the road, and could not find his team again, wandered around and came to a farm house nearly frozen. The party set out in search of the team and family and found that his wife and child frozen to death. Mr. W. had his feet so badly frozen that he has been practically disabled since. He has seven children, four from his first wife and three by his second wife. He married for his second wife a Miss Julia Kelley of Iowa City in 1860. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Iowa City, and all his family are members of that church. He is a republican in politics. He was elected township clerk in 1860 and held that office four years; he also held the office of school director.  

A. P. Walker, the present mayor of Solon, Big Grove Township; was born September 26, 1854, in Tioga County NY; settled in Johnson County, IA., October 22, 1865. He married March 19, 1859, Miss Jennie True of Solon. They have seven children; Charles T., Mertie W., Iva F., George A., Jesse K., Martha A., Annie M. He is a member of the Universalist Church, voted for the prohibitory amendment. He is a greenbacker in politics and was their candidate for sheriff of Johnson County in 1881. He met with an accident in 1877, his arm being broken by falling from a loaded wagon upsetting.

Henry Walker, farmer, post-office, River Junction; was born in Portage county, OH., March 9, 1829, and is a son of James and Sarah (Barnett) Walker, who came to Pleasant Valley, this county in 1841. The subject of our sketch was the youngest of nine children, five boys and 4 girls. He was reared on a farm, and early became accustomed to the hardships of pioneer life. In 1849 he took the gold fever and went to California with the company from Iowa City, being about six months on the road, driving four yoke of oxen to one wagon. He remained on the western slope four years, and followed mining, then started home with $2,600. He then bought 220 acres of land in section 12, where he now resides, and has, by industry and economy, been enabled to purchase more land, and now owns about one thousand acres, and has a fine brick residence and a very pleasant home. He was married March 14, 1854, to Harriet McComas, a native of OH, she dying January 7, 1878. By this marriage there are two children; Laura, now Mrs. William Fairall and Mary, now Mrs. Charley Shelledy. He was again married May 15, 1880 to Miss Martha Sweet, daughter of David and Lydia Sweet, who came to Fremont Township in 1838. He raises and also buys considerable stock, feeding during the winter, and generally ships his own stock to market, and is one of the most enterprising farmers in this part of the county.

James Walker, farmer, post-office, River Junction; was born in Portage county, OH, March 3, 1816, where he spent his early life. In the fall of 1837 he came with his brothers, Joseph and Samuel, to Johnson County, and settled in Pleasant Valley Township, where they staked out their claims and each improved farms. The subject of our sketch lived there about eight years, then came to Fremont township, where he has since resided and owns 200 acres of land, all well improved. He was married May 2, 1858 to Mary Fountain, daughter of John and Hannah Fountain. They have eight children: Henry, Jane E., now Mrs. Jerry Canott, John, Joseph, Ella, James, Daniel and Charlie.

Joseph Walker, farmer, farmer and stock raiser of Pleasant Valley Township, post-office, Iowa City; was born September 19, 1819 in Portage County OH; came to Iowa and settled on Buck creek, in Pleasant Valley Township, September 1, 1837, and took up the first claim on Bear Creek, The farm upon which he now resides, of 320 acres. His brothers, Samuel and James, took up claims near him, and lived upon them for eight or ten years. He was married June 25, 1850, to Miss Jane Powelson of Washington County, IA. They have five children: Mary, Henry A., Joseph L., Callie, Emma. He is a member of the Universalist Church at Iowa City, and a republican in politics, and voted against the prohibitory amendment; has held several township offices, trustee and school director. He is a stockholder in the Johnson County Savings Bank, and one of its directors. He is one the Johnson County farmers who have made a success in life, and accumulated a sufficient amount of worldly goods to live comfortably.

Robert Walker, Esq. submitted by Dick Barton

This history would be incomplete without some mention of Esq. Robt. Walker, one of the earliest settlers of Johnson county, who spent the later years of his life in this township, and was buried in Tiffin cemetery.  He was a man of much influence in early times, was the first justice of peace in Johnson county, held offices of public trust, and had much to do with early county affairs.

Robert Walker, Esq., was born in Schenectady, N. Y., Oct. 4, 1802; was married, Feb. 19, 1823, to Miss Ellen McWade.  Six children were given to the wedded pair. They came to Iowa in 1838, and settled in Pleasant Valley, where, after a number of years, his wife died.  In 1853 he moved to Iowa City, where he was married to Mrs. Avis Mygatt, who still lives to mourn his loss.  They moved to Clear Creek township in 1850.  He died Oct. 28, 1879.  In religious belief he was an ardent Universalist, and sustained his belief by a life of irreproachable morality.

...

Robert Walker, born in Schenectady county, N. Y., Oct. 4, 1802; died Oct. 28, 1879, in Johnson county, Iowa.  Mr. Walker came to Johnson county in 1838, and was the first justice of the peace of Johnson county, Iowa.  In that official capacity he administered the oath of office to the Capital Commissioners who located the territorial capital on what is now Iowa City.  In 1853, he married a sister of Hon. Le Grand Byington, who survives him.  In 1860, he moved upon his farm near Tiffin, where he died.  During all his long life and his residence of forty-one years he worthily filled an influential position, and earned and deserved the respect which was accorded him. 

WAPASHASHIEK submitted by Darrell Manrique

WAPASHASHIEK was a sub-chief under Poweshiek and was strictly just and honest like his head chief, and had the added virtue of being sober; saw the ruin which whisky was working among his people, and sturdily shunned it. He was a tall, thin, spare man; had far less executive talent and weight of character than Poweshiek; he managed his own village very well, but all important matters were reported to the head chief. His age and birth-place are not known.

J. R. Ward, physician, Oxford IA; was born on the Isle of Man on August 31, 1846, and is of English descent. He is a son of Francis and Mary A. Wilson Ward, Francis Ward being a Methodist minister and engaged on the Isle of Man as local preacher and also in what is known as an “iron monger.” In 1852 they went to Texas, but only remained a few weeks. They then went to Cleveland OH and bought a farm a few miles from the city, and in 1856 came and settled in Madison township this county, Mr. and Mrs. Ward dying the winter of 1880. The subject of our sketch never went to school until he was thirteen years of age, having been taught at home. He then went to the Model School at Iowa City; then to the academical department of the State University three years and in 1870 began the study of medicine with Prof. J. C. Schrader of Iowa City, and graduated at the medical department of the State University March 3, 1873. In 1874 he located in Oxford and has been one of the most successful practitioners in the county. In 1880 he attended the practitioner's course at Chicago Medical College and the spring of 1882 he attended a course and graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College New York City, March 15, 1882. He is a member of Iowa City Chapter No.2, also of Palestine Commandery, No 2 and of several other lodges. He was married September 30, 1873 to Miss Mary A. Doty, daughter of Lewis and Hannah Doty of Oxford and has one girl, Clara Edith, six years old.  

B. P. Watson, farmer, post-office, River Junction; was born June 3, 1816. His grandfather, Samuel Watson, was a soldier of the Revolution from the first until its close, and also in the war of 1812. At an early age the subject of our sketch was left fatherless, and was the fifth of seven children, and when a little over five years of age he commenced work in a cotton factory, and only got three months schooling afterward. He worked there the greater part of the time for thirty years. In 1857 he emigrated to Illinois, La Salle County, and followed farming, and in 1865 came to Johnson County, and bought the farm he now lives on of 200 acres, and has it well improved. He was married at Plainfield, Connecticut, September 4, 1843, to Miss Hannah Cole, a native of that state. They have one son, Chancey L., who is still at home, and has charge of the farm. He raises some fine horses and cattle.

Lewis H. Watson, carriage maker, Oxford, IA; was born in Ireland, January 16, 1835, and came to the United States in 1849, and the same year commenced his trade in New York City, where he remained three years; then went to West Chester and lived until 1873, when he came to Iowa, and settled in Oxford, where he has since resided. He was married April 8, 1856, to Louisa Stanton, a native of New York, but of English descent, she dying March 29, 1882, leaving five children: Annie M., now Mrs. Estabrook; Benjamin L., Francis L., Ella L., and William S.. Mr. Watson is a member of the Presbyterian Church, A.O.U.W., and O. O. H. and is present assessor of Oxford.

Peter J. Weber, farmer, residing in Union township on section 9; was born March 3, 1828 in Prussia. Came to America in August 1852, and settled in Iowa City, the same year with his father’s family. He being the eldest was compelled to share the largest part of the responsibility of supporting the family. He was married in August 1854 to Miss Rosa Schunka. They have 10 children: Henry, John, Peter, Willie, Mary, Annie, Lizzie, Frank, George and Eddie. The family are members of the St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church of Iowa City. He is a democrat in politics, and has held several township offices at the hands of his party. He began life a poor boy, and now owns 370 acres of land in Union township, a fine orchard, 800 stands of Concord grapes and plenty of all kinds of small fruit, good farm buildings and plenty of good stock of all kinds usually kept on a farm.

Isaac S. Weeber, a farmer and resident of Sharon township; post-office address Iowa City; was born Feb. 26, 1841, in Crawford County OH. He came to Johnson County IA with his parents in 1847 and settled in Sharon township. He was married Dec. 25, 1865 to Miss Jennie Clark of Sharon township. They have eight children: Nettie, Lizzie, Artie, Carrie, Willie, Minnie, Annie and Walter. His father was born Dec. 30, 1806 in Germany; is still living and with his son Isaac. Mr. W's mother died in November 1868. He has held several township offices and is the present township clerk of Sharon, elected in 1882. He is a stockholder and director in the Sharon creamery also the treasurer of the company. He is one of the successful farmers of Sharon township, and keeps fine stock. He has the only herd of Devonshire cows in the county; a fine lot of Spanish merino sheep, plenty of Poland China hogs, and makes a specialty of fine horses, draft and roadsters. His horses are from an imported Belgian thorough-bred.  

John C. Weiser, hardware, post-office Lone Tree; was born in Germany on Feb. 2, 1850, and came to America when about two years of age, his parents first living in Buffalo NY and then came to Muscatine, where the subject of our sketch learned the tinner's trade, and had a tin shop, and in March 1881 came to Lone Tree and put in a general stock of hardware and has a tin shop, and is doing a flourishing business. He was married Aug. 15, 1870 to Miss Virginia F. Freeman of Muscatine ad have had five children, four still living: Lillie C., George W., Hattie May and John H. Mr. Weiser is a member of the United Order of Honor at Lone Tree.  

Willard J. Welch, a merchant on Dubuque Street, proprietor of the “Star Grocery”. Was born Aug. 12, 1855, at Oshkosh WI. Settled in Iowa City in October 1878. He graduated from collegiate department of the State University of Iowa in the class of 1875. He was married Oct. 23, 1878 to Miss Lillie L. Patterson, only daughter of the Hon. Lemuel B. Patterson, of Iowa City.  

Albert Wescott, Jr., resident of Scott township on section 16, and the owner of 220 acres of land; a farmer and stock raiser. Was born March 17, 1833 in the state of NY. At the age of fifteen years he went to Lake County OH and remained until the fall of1854 when he settled in Iowa City, and for four years was engaged in the drug business. In 1859 he moved on the farm upon which he now resides. He was married in Scott township, this county in 1866 to Miss Mary Parrott. She was born on section 9, in Scott township in 1844. They have five children: Ada A., Minnie S., Katie E., Albert L. and Wallis.

Moses A. Wescott. The subject of this sketch was born May 5, 1825 in Milford Otsego County NY. Came to Johnson County IA in 1857. He was married in June 1851, to Miss L. Caroline Goodrich, of Milford NY. She died July 29, 1877. They had four children: Laura, wife of William Scollard, Hattie, wife of J.K. Graham, Edith, wife of William Orr, and Sennett. Mr. W. is a democrat in politics. His father Albert Wescott was born Dec. 5, 1798 in Warwick Ireland; died near Iowa City, December 21, 1880. His mother, Charlotte Bissell, was born February 28, 1803 in Hartwick, Otsego County NY is still living. His parents settled in Johnson County in 1860. Their family of children now living are Moses a., Caroline, widow of C.L. Hoytt, Eliza, wife of B.F. Hayden of Lake County OH, Albert Jr., Jane, Edwin R. living in Auburn NY and Emory and Emmer twins. All highly respected and well to do.

Charles Wetoshak, farmer and stock raiser, Jefferson township, post-office Western, Linn County; was born July 4, 1856, in Johnson County. His parents, John and Frances Wetoshak are natives of Moravia, Bohemia, they came to the US and settled in Johnson County in 1854, in section 2; where Charles was raised on a farm. He went to school at St. Louis and also at Western College, Linn County. On the 17 th day of May 1877 he was married to Miss Anna Confal, daughter of Joseph Confal of this county. His family consists of three children: Joseph C., born March 28, 1878; Anna born June 2, 1880; and Charles born January 8, 1852. Mr. Wetoshak owns 188 acres in this county, where he resides, and 80 acres in Linn County in section 34, just across the line. He follows farming and stock raising; his stock is of the best; he paid $400 for a span of horses and they can't be beat. He has 60 head of cattle and 70 hogs; he also owns and runs a thresher. Mr. Wetoshak is one of the substantial farmers of this county and a man highly respected by everyone. He has held the office of constable.

W. D. Whedon submitted by Dick Barton

W. D. Whedon, the present popular and efficient county recorder, was born October 5, 1860, in Albion, state of New York, came to Johnson county and settled in Iowa City October 5, 1870. He was in the recorder's office under Alex. Sorter for two years as his deputy, and he has become as thorough-going and practical as his instructor. Mr. Sorter resigned April 7, 1882, and the board of supervisors of Johnson county accepted his resignation and immediately appointed Mr. Whedon, his deputy, as recorder. "Billy," as he is commonly called, is one of the "boys," a generous, good-natured, straight-forward and honest young man, with a host of good friends.

John H. Whetstone submitted by Dick Barton

John H. Whetstone, a resident of Iowa City, engaged in the drug trade on the north-east corner of Clinton and Washington streets, commonly called the "little one-horse drug store." It might have been such when started, but it has been a success, and it makes John feel proud now to call it a "little one-horse drug store." He was born September 18, 1846, in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, settled in Iowa City in 1870, and began clerking in Morrison's drug store, and June, 1874, he established himself in the drug business at the stand he now occupies. He was married September 8, 1880, to Miss Mahaska Byington, second daughter of Hon. Legrand Byington. A republican in politics.

Aquilla Whitacre, was born at Hopewell, near Winchester, Virginia, the 7th of 9th month, 1797 and removed with his parents, Robert and Patience Whitacre, in 1805, near to Miami Monthly Meeting at Waynesville, Warren County, OH. In 1820, or near that date, he was united in marriage with Ruth Anna Potts, daughter of Samuel and Mary Potts. After the death of his first wife, which was in the year 1838, he was united in marriage with Ann Cook, daughter of Abram and Ruth Cook, in the spring of the year 1844; died April 23, 1876. In 10 th month, 7 th, 1865, certificates were received for him, his wife, and minor children, at Wapsononoc Monthly Meeting, Iowa, from Miami Monthly Meeting, Ohio. Three years afterwards, through his influence, a meeting house was built, and an indulged meeting established at Highland, Johnson County, IA, and at his death he bequeathed funds to build an addition, which has been done, a preparative meeting established there, and the monthly meeting held alternatively there, and at West Liberty. Soon after his removal to Iowa, he was appointed to the station of Elder, which station he filled until the time of his death, and of him it may be truly said, “He was indeed a Father in Israel.” He was divinely inspired with the true spirit of discernment which enabled him to judge rightly in reference to the ministry, sometimes in a feeling manner, to extend a word of caution or reproof, at other times when any of the little ones were in a low, discouraged state, he could enter into feeling with them, and as a true father, he was sent by his Divine Master to extend to them timely words of encouragement, to stimulate them to persevere in well-doing, to faithfully obey the impressions of duty, and thus receive the sure penny of reward. He was one who was not only able, but willing, to be useful to his fellow beings, by rendering them pecuniary aid, when such aid was required. Being kind and benevolent in disposition, he was well calculated to do much good in the community in which he lived. Being of a social, genial disposition, it was a real pleasure to be in his company. Carrying out both by precept and example, those lovely traits of a true Christian character, he was indeed worthy of esteem. He was concerned to exercise Christian charity toward those who did not see things just as he did. He was, when in health, a consistent attender of all our meetings.

Harry A. White submitted by Dick Barton

Harry A. White, the present efficient postmaster of North Liberty; was born September 15, 1847, at Bedford, Pennsylvania, and settled in Johnson county in 1875. He was married December 27, 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Alloway, of Fulton county, Pennsylvania. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 289, at north Liberty; he is a republican in politics, and has been postmaster since April 21, 1877. He keeps the only store in North Liberty, carries a general stock of merchandise. He is a shoemaker by trade and is doing a good business. He is a member of the Church of God at North Liberty.

John Whitsel, a resident of Iowa City, was born December 26, 1841 in Jefferson County PA; settled in Iowa City in 1877. He was married January 17, 1863 to Miss Mary A. Dana of Clinton County IA. They have seven children: Mary J., George, Nellie, Anna, Lillie, John and James. He is section foreman of Iowa City division of the B.C.R. & N.R.R. He has been railroading for thirteen years. He enlisted from Scott County IA in company B, Eighth Iowa Infantry. He is a republican in politics and voted against the prohibitory constitutional amendment.

George Wical, A farmer, Liberty township, post-office Bon Accord; was born December 4, 1821 in Licking County OH; settled in Johnson County in 1851; his father, Daniel Wical, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, in February 1, 1798, and is the oldest man now living in Liberty township. George Wical was married April 23, 1847 to Miss Fanny Chapman, of Homer, Licking C9ounty, OH. This union is blessed with the following named children: Emma, Elnora and Harry. Mr. Wical is independent in politics.

Henry Wieneke, a resident of Iowa City, manager of Mrs. J. G. Fink's cigar and notion store, on Clinton Street, first door south of the post-office; was born August 30, 1837 in Monroe County OH. He settled in Iowa in 1845 and worked in a bakery, and afterward learned the cabinet maker's trade. He was married December 3, 1857 to Miss Carolina Kimball of Iowa. This union is blessed with the following named eight children: Caroline, Harry, Nellie, Minnie, Charlie, George, Laura and Robert. He was a faithful soldier in the late civil war in company B. 14 th and 41 st Regiments Iowa Volunteer Infantry and of company L, 7 th Regiment Iowa Cavalry and served from 1861 to 1865. He is a republican in politics. A member of the German Lutheran Church of Iowa City.

A member of Masonic and Odd Fellow societies of Iowa City. You can always find Henry at the counter ready to supply his customers with choice brands of cigars and tobacco.

Benjamin Williams, deceased; was born in Columbiana County OH August 20, 1807, where he spent his early life and married Susannah Concle in December 1830; she also being a native of that county. They came to Johnson County IA and settled on section six in Oxford township in 1844, where Mr. Williams died August 19, 1855, leaving seven children, viz.: Jesse, now in California; Peter now in Oxford; Tanner, now Mrs. Wallace; Josephine, now Mrs. Mahoney; Lue, still at home; Mary, now Mrs. Morland and Mattie, now Mrs. Merritt. Josephine was married December 24, 1865 to Jerry Mahoney a native of Ireland; he dying December 20, 1873 leaving four children viz: Mary E., Kitty, John M. and Susan. She is now living on her farm in section thirty-one.

Enoch Williams, farmer, Cedar township post-office Solon; was born in Chester County PA July 8, 1840, where ye spent his boyhood days, and is a son of George and Mary Williams. In the spring of 1856 they emigrated to Iowa and settled in Johnson County where he has since resided, and now owns 160 acres of well improved land. He was married February 7, 1867 to Mary S. Sutliff, daughter of Allen C. Sutliff, one of the pioneers of Johnson County. By this union there are five children now living, viz.: Allen G., Ellen G., Kate S., Jesse E. and Ralph E.

Jane ( Bell ) Williams submitted by Darrell Manrique

Mrs. Jane ( Bell ) Williams was born August 10, 1801 , in Huntington county, Pa. , was married in April, 1826, to Thos. J. Williams. Moved to Illinois in 1858; came to this township in 1861, where she has since resided, highly esteemed, and the virtual head of a large circle of relatives by the marriage of her children, nearly all of whom have lived in this township or county. But of late years several have moved away, and her son, Col. John Williams has died. Her husband, Thos. J. Williams, died September 13, 1873 .

She has seven children now living. Col. John Williams, her oldest son was born March 27, 1827 ; he died from effect of disease contracted in the army, where he so distinguished himself for bravery on the field of battle, as to win promotion and highest honors. Col. Williams was eminently a Clear Creek man, having lived in this township for many years previous to his enlistment. His family lived in this township while he was in the army. On his return from the army he was elected County Judge, and removed to Iowa City; but when he died he was brought to Tiffin cemetery where his honored remains now lie, a man and a soldier of which this township are justly proud.

The remaining members of Mrs. Williams' family now living, are Geo. L. Williams, Shelby; Mrs. Rebecca Gregory, Mt. Vernon, Ohio; Miss Isabelle Williams, Shelby; T. Judson Williams, Nevada, Mo.; Sam'l. P. Williams, Shelby ; Mrs. Sarah E. Nealy, Griswold, Pottawattamie county, and Miss Lizzie H. Williams, who has devoted her life to the care of her aged mother.

Robert Williams a resident of Iowa City and a partner of the firm of Waterman & Williams, drygoods and notions on Clinton Street in Iowa City; was born in February 1842 in Denbigh North Wales. He came to America in 1868 and in July of 1868 settled in Iowa City. He engaged in the drygoods business with D. Griffith in the same store he now occupies and was with him seven years, and bought him out and the firm became Waterman & Williams in 1875. He has one of the best filled and regulated drygoods and notion houses in Iowa City. He was married July 15, 1868 to Miss Katie Williams of Cincinnati OH. They have three children, Ella H., Fred B., and Manly. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church of Iowa City. He is a member of the Masonic bodies of Iowa City. He is independent in politics. He has thrown behind a drygoods counter at ten years of age and has worked over thirty-one years in that capacity and such experience ought to qualify him for the drygoods business.

Jacob R. Willis a resident of Clear Creek township, post-office Tiffin; was born July 3, 1818 in Preble County OH near Eaton; settled in Johnson County IA in February 1845, on the farm upon which he now resides in section 19. He was married July 5, 1845 to Miss Rebecca Lancaster of Clear Creek township. They have three children; Mary A., wife of Londa Gruell of Phelps County KS, a farmer near Republican City; James W. and Henry both dead. He is a member of the Christian Church of Tiffin, and is a Republican in politics. His father and mother both died when he was quite young and the result was Mr. Willis was compelled to struggle for a living. He has finally proven himself a successful farmer, the owner of a fine farm and plenty of stock, such as Short-horn cattle, fine Woolscott sheep and good horses. He has a fine apple orchard of six acres and plenty of all kinds of small fruit.

William F. Wilson, farmer, post-office Lone Tree; was born in Essex County NY September 13, 1837, where he spent his early life and got a good common school education He then went to Pennsylvania and remained there two years and emigrated to Iowa in 1855 and settled in Louisa County, with his parents Alex E. and Mary P. He was on the Chicago & Rock Island railroad two years and then went to farming, and in 1868 he engaged in the sale of farm machinery, which he followed until 1878. In the fall of 1868 he moved to Fremont township Johnson County, where he has improved a farm and has good buildings and a pleasant home. He was married October 9, 1862 to Leah J. Hershy a native of Fulton County PA coming to this state in 1854. They have had eight children, three now living. Willis H., born December 23, 1864 Louie born August 30, 1867 and Frederick L. born February 5, 1882.

J. W. Wilson, miller Oxford Iowa; was born in Rush County IN October 1840. When he was four years old his parents moved to Washington County IA where he spent his early life on a farm, until the war. He was then attending the Washington University. He enlisted in April 1861 in company H, Second Iowa Infantry, the company being made up of students. He served until July 1865, had command of the company for some time. He was married September 10, 1866 to Miss A. E. Wilson of North Bend this county. They now have three children living: Clarence H., Nellie N., and Clara R. In 1871 he moved to Oxford, and engaged in the lumber trade. He was and still is agent for the town lots of Oxford, most all having passed through his hands, and in May 1881 he bought the Oxford flouring mills and is doing a good business in that line. He is a member of Canopy Lodge 290, and of Palestine Commandery No 2 of Iowa City; also a member of the A.O.U.W. and of the Methodist Church. He is a public spirited man and possesses the confidence of all who know him.

Thomas W. Wilson, a farmer residing in Pleasant Valley township, post-office Iowa City; was born in 1808 in Philadelphia PA was married in 1827. He left Pennsylvania in 1831 moving west in a six horse wagon. He stopped in Zanesville OH until 1837; went to Cincinnati and lived there till 1849, and previous to settling in Iowa spent two years in California in 1849 and 1850. His family of children are all grown: James at home; Samuel in St. Louis; Mary in Chicago; Cornelia married and living at Sioux City; and Olivia living at home. Mr. Wilson is a ember of the Trinity Chapel Episcopal Church Iowa City. He is a republican in politics; was the republican candidate for sheriff in 1857. He has held several township offices such as trustee, road supervisor and school director.

J. R. Wise, a farmer in Pleasant Valley township, post-office, Lone Tree; was born April 15, 1817 in Northampton County PA. He was married in 1836 to Miss Julia A. Wise; came to Iowa City the 29 th day of May 1856. They have nine children: Cilade, born July 27, 1839; George born July 1842; Adam born 1843; Charles born 1844; Martha A., born 1847; Emma H., born 1849; Mary Alice born 1851; Daniel R. born 1852 and Eva Albina born 1857.

Joseph Wlack, a citizen of Solon, Big Grove township, and engaged in the butchering business; was born October 15, 1833 in Bohemia; came to America July, 1854, and settled in Iowa in Cedar township and engaged in farming until 1871, when he moved into Solon and opened a butcher shop and restaurant. He was married September 9, 1866 to Miss Mary Cipera, of Iowa City. They have nine children: Annie J., Joseph F., Mary and Emma; twins; Charles, Frank, Delia, Emanuel G. and George W. Mr. Wlack is a democrat in politics. Was township trustee in 1878; voted against the prohibitory constitutional amendment. He is a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 44, I.O.O.F., Iowa City.

Hon. Lewis Wolfe, farmer and stock dealer, post-office Oxford; was born in Knox Co. OH April 22, 1825, where he lived until he was about 24, when he went to Hardin Co. OH and lived there 5 years and cleared up a farm. In September 1854 he came to Johnson Co. and settled in North Bend, where he bought 306 acres of land and has since been engaged in farming and dealing in stock, and in April, 1876 he moved to Oxford township to the “Iowa Valley Farm,” where he now resides. He now owns 1400 acres of land in this county, laying in 5 different townships. In 1860 he was elected by Madison township as county supervisor and in August 1862 he enlisted in company I, 6th IA cavalry as captain, and served as captain until April 1865, when he resigned. In 1865 he ran on the democratic ticket for sheriff, but was defeated by John Wilson, and in 1866 was elected as supervisor for Madison township and served 2 years, and was elected by the county as supervisor. He was representative for the district in the 18th general assembly, and also the 19th, and still holds that office, and for several years has been treasurer of the Oxford township school fund. He was married April 22, 1847 to Elizabeth Lindsley of Richland Co. OH and has three children living, viz: Mahlon K., Christopher D., and Phoebe A., now Mrs. William Hardy.

William Wolfe, a farmer and stock dealer in Clear Creek township, post-office Tiffin; was born in Knox Co. OH, March 18, 1827; settled in Johnson Co., IA October 10, 1853, upon the farm where he now resides. He was married September 8, 1850 to Miss Hannah Colony, of Knox Co. OH, and they have six children: Alice E., John C., Milton L., Mary Augusta, William Burr and Charlie. The family attends religious services at the M.E. Church at Tiffin. Mr. Wolfe has been shipping stock for 14 years. His average shipment of hogs has been about one hundred cars per year; his average shipment of cattle about twenty cars per year. He has some very fine horses of the Clydesdale stock; he has a farm of 490 acres, 203 acres was his original claim. He was a member of the board of supervisors in 1860 and served three years; he filled the office of township trustee several terms. He is a democrat in politics. He is a brother of the Hon. L. R. Wolfe, representing Johnson Co. in the Iowa legislature. His father is living in Knox County, OH at the ripe old age of ninety-two years and past.

David W. Wood, a lawyer by profession; residence, Iowa City. The subject of this sketch was born September 11, 1844 near Mt. Vernon, Knox County, OH. The war for the Union found him one of its defenders. He enlisted in company G, Twentieth Ohio Infantry, September 11, 1861, and served to July 19, 1865; he then read law and was admitted to practice at the December term, 1867, of the Supreme Court of Ohio, and continued the practice until 1881, when he went to Colorado, where he edited and published a newspaper one year, and then settled in Iowa City. He was a prisoner of war during the dark days of the Rebellion and lost his health in a rebel prison. His military duty did not end with the war; he was captain of company A. Mr. Vernon National Guards of Ohio and with his company was on duty during the great coal miner's riot at Massillon in 1876, and in the railroad riots in 1877 at Newark, OH. Mr. Wood was married February 27, 1875, to Miss Mattie E., daughter of Mr. W. F. Smith, one of the first settlers of Washington township, Johnson County IA. This union is blessed with two bright little boys: D. W. jr., born April 1, 1877 and Charles W., born February 2, 1879. Mr. Wood is a republican in politics, and a member of nearly all the leading benevolent societies of the present day. He was educated in the faith of the M.E. Church, both father and mother devoted and faithful members of that church and adhering to its strictest practice, his father from the old Dominion State, and his mother from Hagerstown, MD. He believes in America -the United States especially, and its untrammeled institutions as the sign of her future prosperity, but is opposed to a union of church and state. He believes the common schools the grandest institution of our free county, and is opposed to any man or set of men who would circumscribe their usefulness. He is favorable to local option and moral suasion as the best means of reformation, from evils of intemperance. Personally, Mr. Wood is a most courteous and pleasant gentleman with a pleasing address and fine conversational gifts that give him a wide personal popularity, and particular in the township work of this history, he has made many friends by his consideration and thoughtfulness.

Edward Worden, a resident of Iowa City; was born May 18, 1827, in New York state, came to Iowa and settled in Iowa City in 1839. The worst thing that can be said against Ed is that he has lived an upright, consistent old bachelor since his early youth and still refuses to make friends with a Christian comforter called a wife. He is a democrat in politics and has been too busy surveying Johnson County to take time to get married. He was a member of the City Council in 1860 from the first ward; surveyor of Johnson County from 1855 to 1875, and was elected on the greenback and republican ticket in 1881. He defeated the regular democratic nominee, Daniel A. Shafer, by a very handsome majority and thereby taught the convention organizers that they might nominate a man, but could not elect unless they got votes enough.

Hon. Samuel Workman, died at the age of fifty-six in Memphis TN January 1881 and was buried in the God's acre near his old home in Washington PA, which holds the dust of many generations of his house. Mr. Workman came to Johnson County IA a youth in early days and was for many years a powerful figure in public affairs. An acute and successful business man he took an active part in politics, and represented this district in the State Senate with credit to himself and his party. He revisited this city a few years ago and then showed but few signs of age or declining strength. His sister, Mrs. Samuel H. Fairall, and their nieces the Misses Koontz and their nephew George Koontz are representatives of his family left here.

Carson B. Wray, post-office North Liberty, farmer, subject of this sketch is one of the old settlers of this county, and was born on the 20 th day of July 1819 in Hamilton County OH. He was raised in Indiana, his parents having come here from there when Carson was quite young. In 1841 he came to Iowa, then a single man, and lived with his brother David. On the 8 th day of May, 1842, he was married to Miss Mary Alt, of this county, formerly of Ohio. They had eight children, five of whom are living; Joseph C., David W., Catharine J., Anna E., and Carrie C.; three dead: Mary J., Maria C., and Eliza O. Mr. Wray followed distilling for seven years when a young man, but since he has been in Iowa has followed farming and stock-raising; owns a splendid arm of 500 acres in section 2 and other sections, well improved land and well stocked, having about seventy-five head of grade cattle; one hundred hogs; fourteen head of Clydesdale horses. Mr. Wray has filled the office of township trustee, and member of the county board of supervisors.

David Wray, (deceased) was born in Hamilton County OH October 8, 1815. His father, Richard, moved with his family to Indiana when the subject of this sketch was only eight years old, where he was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. After arriving at manhood he went to Illinois and while there (December 10, 1840) he was married to Miss Maria Alt, daughter of Jacob and Mary Alt, and sister of Jacob, junior and Joseph of Penn township. To them were born four children, two of whom are now living; Richard H. and Maria J., wife of Dr. Miller Young. Mr. Wray was among the first settlers in this township. He first settled in Jefferson township but in 1843 he moved to Madison, in sections 2 and 35, where he follows farming. His first wife died November 5, 1846. He was again married July 20, 1851, to Miss H. Holt of Iowa City. She died March 22, 1869, and on the 22 nd of September 1872 Mr. Wray died. He was a man of sound and vigorous intellect; a forcible character, and of great personal influence. He has filled the office of county commissioner and of township assessor.