Pioneers of Marion County
Tyler Overton, who still resides where he originally settled, in the southern part of the township, arrived there on the 28th of May, 1843, in company with Henry Miller, each carrying a load of provisions on their backs from the Welch settlement north of the river. After making claims they put up a bark shanty in the nearest timber where they batched it for three weeks, making rails, making occasional trips to the settlement for provisions that he had employed some of the setters there to bring up in wagons.
In the spring following Mr. O. went to Henry county, where he purchased sixty apple trees, brought them up, and began an orchard on his claim, which was, perhaps, the first one planted in the township. Only about a dozen of these pioneer trees are yet living.
The next wedding was that of a sister of Eleanor, to Tyler Overton, in December, '44, on which occasion Mr. Overton made an adventurous winter trip to Oskaloosa for the license.
(Note: The Eleanor
mentioned above is Eleanor May, daughter of Alexander May, who married