Mitchell and Worth Counties, Iowa
Springfield, Ill: Union
Publishing Co., 1884.
M - P
Col. D. F. McCarthy, proprietor of the St. Ansgar Flouring Mills, was born in
Killarney, Ireland, July 9, 1836. His parents emigrated to this country when he was quite
young, locating in Massachusetts, where he was reared and educated. He was always of an
adventurous disposition. While yet a boy he joined Gen. Walker in his conquest of
Nicaragua. In 1856 he came to Iowa, remaining until 1857, when he removed to Faribault,
Minn. In 1859 he was married to Miss Cavanaugh, of that town. In 1862 he raised a company
for the 8th Minnesota Infantry; was transferred to the 10th regiment, Minnesota Infantry
Volunteers; was all through the Indian war in Minnesota and Dakota; was in command of the
prison at Mankato, Minn., when the Indians were executed. He went south in 1863, and
served chiefly under Gens. Scofield and Rosecrans. After the war he returned to Fairbault,
and engaged in the milling business with his brother-in-law, Capt. D. Cavanaugh, under the
firm name of D. F. McCarthy and Co. From 1865 to 1867, during the Fenian excitement, and
while yet smarting under the injury and injustice done to this Government and the Union
cause by Great Britain during the war, and also on account of the endlesss persecutions of
his race, he took a lively interest in the taking of Canada, and when the United States
Government interdicted the passing of armed troops, he was in command of the 16th
regiment. In 1870, when Riel and his party declared a Provisional Government in Manitoba,
he closed up his business immediately in Faribault, and determined to assist them. After
raising a regiment, well armed and equipped with 1,000 breech loading guns and four pieces
of cannon, and going to the frontier, he had to disband because Riel absolutely refused to
take the field against Gen. Woolsey, who was then entering the territory from Canada, with
a small force. In 1871 he moved to St. Ansgar and bought the water power and flouring
mill, which he improved immediately, and has been actively engaged in that business in
connection with the grain trade since. In 1880 he bought the woolen factory at Waterloo,
and engaged also in the manufacture of woolen goods. In 1882, the adventure not proving
profitable, he disposed of the property. Mr. and Mrs. McCarthy are the parents of fifteen
children, ten of whom are living - several of which have been educated in the best
Catholic academies in this country.
O. F. PERKINS has been engaged in the hardware business in Kensett since 1880. He is a native of New York, born Feb. 15, 1840. HIs parents moved to a farm near Madison, Wis., in 1852, where they remained four years. They came to Hartland township, Worth county, in June, 1856. He enlisted in company F, 4th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving two years and six months. He then veteranized, was promoted to corporal Dec. 1, 1864, served till the close of the war, and was mustered out at St. Paul. He was with the 15th Army Corps, and participated in the battles of Iuka, second battle of Corinth, Miss., Champion hill, Jackson, Miss., the siege of Vicksburg, Benton Cross Roads, of savannah, and the surrender of Gen. Jackson, at Galesburg, N. C. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea. He then went to Washington, thence to Louisville, Ky., and from there to St. Paul, Minn. He then came to Iowa, purchased 160 acres on section 25, upon which he lived six years. He then removed to Kensett, and embarked in his present business, in which he is successful, his trade being steadily on the increase. He married Martha J. Remore, Feb. 2, 1867. She is a native of New York, born Feb. 2, 1852. They have one child - Gracie, born March 23, 1878. He is a member of the G. A. R., Post Randall, Northwood.
WILLIAM H. PERKINS was the next incumbent of the office, and was elected, October, 1863. A highly respected man of the agricultural class, one of the most thorough, business-like men in the county, it were difficult to find a fitter man for the office...
William H. Perkins was re-elected to his former position of sheriff in 1867, and was succeeded in 1870 ....
WILLIAM H. RUSSELL was born Jan. 7, 1831, in New York State. He is a farmer by occupation, and is now dealing largely in evergreens. When four years of age he moved, with his father, to Crawford Co., Penn., living in Lyona six years, then went to McHenry Co., Ill., living there twelve years. From there he went to Allamakee Co., Iowa, living there four years. He was married in 1858, to Margaret J. Overholt, born in Canada, Aug. 4, 1840. They have had three children - Mary A., born Feb. 10, 1868; Ernest, born April 4, 1875; Ralph L., born Oct. 16, 1877. Mr. Russell and wife are members of the M. E. Church. He has held the offices of county superintendent, township clerk of Hartland township for ten years and postmaster eleven years in Hutten, and was assessor in Lincoln township for two years. He was elected justice of the peace in the fall of 1882. He owns 240 acres of land in Lincoln township.