The History of Poweshiek County, Iowa
Grinnell Township L - M
LACKEY, J.R.—Grinnell Twp—pg 908. Of the firm of C.J. lackey & Co., proprietors of bakery and restaurant, Grinnell. Was born January 22, 1829, and received a common school education. While young he learned the trade of tinsmith, which he continued until the spring of 1854 when he went to Des Moines, Polk county, Iowa. In the spring of 1859 removed to Colorado, becoming there engaged in gold mining. In January, 1862, he returned to Des Moines, and from there went to Canton, Illinois, where he resumed farming; and in April of 1878 came to this county, settling in this city, and has since resided here. Mr. Lackey has been twice married; first, in Pennsylvania, in December, 1854, to Miss Flora Weiser. They had three children, two of whom are now living: Charles A. and Gertrude; one is deceased, Sarah L. His second marriage was January 21, 1866, to Miss Clara Griffith. They had two children: George A., living, and Cora F. deceased.
LAWRENCE, HENRY—Grinnell Twp—pg 908-9. Cashier of the Grinnell Savings Bank, Grinnell. Was born in Monroe, Monroe county, Michigan, on the thirty-first day of October, 1829. He is the son of Wolcott and Caroline E. (Stebbins) Lawrence, who settled in Monroe as early as 1815, they being the first eastern people to settle there. They came from Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Mr. Lawrence was a lawyer; he died when young Lawrence was but fourteen years of age; his mother died when he was but four years of age. He received the advantages of a good education, attending two terms at Ann Arbor. After losing his father he went to Milan, Ohio, and engaged as clerk in a store of general merchandise. In 1854 he came West and landed in Grinnell on the thirtieth day of March, and for two years following was land agent. He then located on a farm in Marshall county, on the present site of Gilman; here he followed agricultural pursuits until 1863, when he gave up farming and returned once more to Grinnell: and in the spring of 1864 he accepted a clerkship in the treasury department at Washington, which position he held until 1870, since which time he has been principally engaged in the railroad business; was cashier for the receiver, J.B. Grinnell, on the Central Railroad of Iowa, and held other prominent positions; he is now secretary and treasurer of the Grinnell and Montezuma Railroad; he was one of the original stockholders of the savings bank of which he is now cashier. He was married in Grinnell, September 13, 1870, to Miss Abbie, daughter of Capt. N.W. Clark. Their family are: Henrietta, Frank, Harry, Rodney and Caroline S. Thus, in brief, is the history of one of Grinnell’s best business men.
LEISURE, W.S,--Grinnell Twp—pg 909. Postmaster, Grinnell. This gentleman was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, on the twenty-fourth day of November, 1829. He lived on a farm until he was fifteen, then served an apprenticeship in the tailor business, which he followed for twelve years. He came West and located in Pimrose, Lee county, Iowa, where he worked two years at his trade, and one year on a farm. He came to Grinnell in April, 1855, and has been a resident of this city ever since. In November, 1861, he enlisted in company E, Fourth Iowa cavalry, and served his country for three years. He has been postmaster at this place for thirteen years, receiving his appointment during Andrew Johnson’s administration. Since coming to this place Mr. Leisure has been closely identified with Grinnell’s best interests, and enjoys in the highest degree, the confidence and respect of all. He was married, in Harrisville, Bulter [sic] county, Pennsylvania, to Miss Ann J. Cowan, March 9, 1852. By this union they have two daughters: Mary (now Mrs. Capt. J.H. Millman, of this city), Laura L. (now Mrs. George A. Pruden, surveyor of the Central Railroad of Iowa).
LEWIS, JOHN—Grinnell Twp—pg 909. Physician and surgeon, Grinnell. Was born in Indiana county, Pennsylvania, April 8, 1817, and received his education at the Jefferson College, Cannonsburg, same State, from which institution he graduated in 1842. In 1846 he commenced the practice of medicine, in Fayette county, Indiana, with Dr. George Watt, with whom he remained until 1848, then locating in Ogden, Henry county, Indiana; there continued his practice until October, 1869, when he came to this county, and located at Grinnell. Dr. Lewis has an honorary diploma from Indiana Medical College, situated at Indianapolis having graduated therefrom in 1878. He was married in Indiana, October 16, 1856, to Miss M.A. Hutchinson. By this union they have two children: James R. (born August 23, 1858) and George W. (born September 19, 1863), both of whom are students of the Iowa College, and will enter the senior class in 1881.
LITTLE, HENRY G.—Grinnell Twp—pg 909-10. Every man of mark has strong characteristics, which stand out prominent like the veins on high-blooded animals. This is pre-eminently true of Hon. Henry G. Little. The stony soil of New Hampshire could not detain when hearing the flowing descriptions of the great West, and he left the graves of his fathers in Goffstown, New Hampshire, where he was born in 1813, and came to Peoria county, Illinois, in the year 1835. That journey by canal boat and stage of thirty days, now made pleasantly in as many hours, prepared him here to be as conspicuous in his activities as he was then in his early novel journey. Removed to Weathersfield, now known as Kewanee, Illinois. Here he was State collector, and Sheriff of the county, and for two years represented a district embracing several counties in the State Legislature at a period of intense political excitement, and was the recipient of other honors in connection with important trusts. Eleven years ago the tidal wave brought him to Iowa, just as real estate came into demand, and his good fortune is quite a personal concern, being the just reward of sagacity and enterprise, while a community is debtor to one with grasp of thought and energy in execution. It was like Mr. Little, who ornamented his lands with hedges and trees, while proving their adaptation to such grasses as perfect the best herds in other States, to next offer proof that the bloods will thrive in Iowa, equally with those in the blue grass regions, and good herds, the promise of fine beef and high prices, were brought to us, and next from agricultural chaos, a county society, whose judicious management was destined to bring order and success. Then our young city asked his service as mayor, and secured a servant whose vigilance was a terror to evil-doers, and an inspiration to all having pride in their town. Most eminent was his service in securing one of the most beautiful of cemeteries, grass, plat drainage, walks, trees and lodge; if not mute these would speak his praise, awakening a new interest in ornamenting our home of the dead. As officer of the schools, and a trustee of the Congregational society, of which church he is a member, he has rendered great assistance. The Republicans of the State made him a delegate to the national presidential convention in 1872. The analysis of such a character will be made after death, and any attempt to give it now would be imperfect, if not in questionable taste. We may be pardoned for congratulating our friend on his elegant home, and that his wife has been brought almost from the grave to health with the pleasantest family surroundings, and this mention. Etta, the youngest daughter (now Mrs. Dr. Holyoke, of Chicago), Mrs. Dr. Alvord, of Michigan, is the next, then the wife of lawyer Lyman, of the firm of Haines & Lyman, and the next, Mrs. Prof. Macy, of Iowa College, and the eldest, Mrs. Veits, whose husband with rural taste could hedge in all the family "professionals." The father of all the above, who has been so important a factor in western society for nearly fifty years, we judge could not be easily restrained in his activities, nor well spared from home business, or relieved by the British and American Loan Association, with which he is associated actively as confidential advisor.
LITTLE, H.F.W.—Grinnell Twp—pg 910-11. Farmer and stock-raiser, section 2, P.O. Grinnell. Was born in Manchester, New Hampshire, June 27, 1842, where he was raised and educated. When seventeen years of age he learned the trade of printing at which he continued till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in company D, Seventh New Hampshire volunteer infantry, on November 6, 1861—enlisting at Manchester and immediately going South, via New York, to Fort Jefferson. He was stationed at Beaufort, South Carolina and St. Augustine, and many other places along the Southern coast of the United States, doing garrison duty; took part in the Siege of Charleston, South Carolina, and the second charge on Fort Wagner. He was also engaged in the battles of Olustee, St. Marie’s Forks, Port Walthal, Laurel Hill, Appomatox, Petersburg and many others. He was awarded a medal of honor for meritorious conduct by act of Congress. He served in the army four years, lacking twenty-seven days, when he resigned. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Helen Flint, with whom he lived three years, and by whom he had one child. He was married a second time, in 1871, to Miss Mary Flint, who is still living, and by whom he has three children: Mattie S., Gertie M. and Maud E. He is a writer for different periodicals of considerable renown; is an Odd Fellow; has taken thirty-two degrees in Masonry, and is a member of the American Union. He has been appointed by his old regiment as regimental historian.
LITTLE, WARREN—Grinnell Twp—pg 911-12. Farmer, section 12, P.O. Grinnell. Was born in Massachusetts, May 15, 1818. After receiving a thorough course at school he was appointed traveling preacher in the M.E. Church, traveling through Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont and New York. He continued in that work until 1861, when he returned home to assume the care of his father, who was rapidly declining in years. After the death of his father he came to Tama City, this State, engaging in the hardware business, and in the spring of 1867 sold his interest in the business and came to this county, locating in Grinnell, where he became connected with the boot and shoe trade. Four years later he bought an improved farm of 160 acres, situated three miles east of Grinnell. His buildings are in good condition, and just west of his house is an orchard of 150 trees, and has over 1,000 young maple trees on his place. Mr. L. has been twice married; first in Massachusetts, February 15, 1841, to Miss Sarah E. Landers, who died November, 30, 1868, leaving four children: James R., Mary F., Sarah E. and Charles S. He was married the second time, June 5, 1870, to Miss Sarah Mack, of Grinnell, formerly of Massachusetts.
LONGFELLOW, C.F.—Grinnell Twp—pg 912. Of the firm of Longfellow Bros., painters. Born in Bangor, Maine, July 24, 1834, where he learned his trade and resided until 1857, when he moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1864 he enlisted in company A, Second Minnesota cavalry, his duties being in the West, and was honorably discharged in 1866. Was married to Miss Mary B. Pomroy, December 18, 1855. They have three children: George A., Byron M. and Julia. Mr. Longfellow is an Odd Fellow, a Knight Templar and a member of the V.A.S.
LONGFELLOW, H.W.—Grinnell Twp—pg 912. Of the firm of Longfellow Bros., painters, Grinnell. Was born in Bangor, Maine, August 23, 1837, where he was raised, educated and learned his trade; moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1856, where he resided until 1861, when he enlisted in company D, First Minnesota, and was honorably discharged in 1864. Returned to Minneapolis for a time, after which he went to Chicago, and remained a number of years. Came to Grinnell in 1877. Was married, in 1872, to Miss Alice Hurbut, of Mishawaka, Indiana. They have one child, Blanche. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the V.A.S.
LONGFELLOW, B.M.—Grinnell Twp—pg 912. Wagon-maker, Grinnell. Born in Hennepin county, Minnesota, in 1859, and came with his parents to Grinnell in 1879. He is a first-class workman, and does a large amount in his line.
LYMAN, J.P.—Grinnell Twp—pg 912. Of the firm of Haines & Lyman, attorneys at law, Grinnell. This gentleman owes his nativity to New York, where he was born on the 14th day of February, 1844. When sixteen years of age he left there to seek his fortune in the West, and accordingly came to this city in 1860. He at once entered the Iowa College and remained therein, taking a thorough course, until June 1867, when he graduated. In 1867 he commenced teaching school at Davenport, Scott county, and followed that as an occupation until the year 1869, when he returned to Grinnell and was engaged in teaching in the Iowa College until 1870. In that year Mr. L. commenced the study of law in the Iowa University Law School of Iowa City, and remained for one year, when he graduated in that branch. He returned to Grinnell and engaged in the practice of his profession with Mr. Haines, under the firm name of Haines & Lyman. Our subject was married in Grinnell to Miss Lizzie Little, October 22, 1873. They have one child, Henry G.
MACY, J.—Grinnell Twp—pg 912-13. Principal of the academy, Grinnell. Was born in Henry county, Indiana, on the 21st of June, 1842, and continued to live in that place until he was about fourteen years of age where he was brought up to labor on the farm in summer, and attended school in the winter. In 1858 he removed with his parents to Iowa, and settled in Sugar Creek in this county, where he assisted in opening up a new farm. In the year 1860 he entered Iowa College, at Grinnell, in the infancy of that institution, and attended for one year, and then he attended Spring Creek Academy near Oskaloosa (which institution was under the control of the Society of Friends) until 1864, when he was drafted into the army of the United States. As he was a Quaker, or Friend, he was exempt from fighting, and was assigned to service in the hospital department, not, however, without some argument with the officers of the regiment to which he had been assigned, and the generals in command in relation to the matter. After a settlement of the difficulties, and the termination of Sherman’s memorable march to the sea, he was assigned to duty in the hospital in Savannah, Georgia, where he served two months, and was removed by order of the War Department to the hospital in Springfield, Illinois, where he served until August, 1865, when he returned home and entered Iowa College. He has been ever since either in the capacity of history and political science. Was married, in the year 1872, to Miss Maud M. Little of Grinnell, who is a lady of refinement and culture and a graduate of Oberlin, Ohio. By this union they have one child living: Prescott. They have lost three children.
MAGOUN, Rev. GEO. F., D.D.—Grinnell Twp—pg 913-14. President and Williston Professor of mental and moral science in Iowa College Grinnell. Born in Bath, Maine, March 29, 1821, second son and third child of Hon. David C. Magoun. In youth attended Bath Academy, entering Bowdoin College at the early age of sixteen, and graduated with high attainments in 1841. Three years were then spent in the Theological Seminaries of Andover and Yale. In 1844 he came West and engaged in teaching, and subsequently in preaching in Wisconsin and northern Illinois. He was called to the pastorate at Davenport, Iowa, in 1855, and in 1860 to the church at Lyons Iowa. In 1862 he was elected President of Iowa College, and after resigning his pastorate, traveled part of one year in Europe. Entering upon his duties as president in March, 1865, he has since rendered untiring service in the cause of higher Christian education, supplying the pulpits of a number of churches in addition to his college duties, in Iowa and Illinois, among them the Congregational Church in Grinnell. Dr. Magoun was first married, in 1847, to Miss Abbey A. Hyde, of Maine. By this marriage there were four children: Fredrick H. (born January 22, 1852); David O. (born February 19, 1854); Mary R. (born July 5, 1858); Hannah W. (born August 8, 1860). Mrs. A.A. Magoun died in 1864 at Lyons. Married a second time to Miss Elizabeth Earlcot, at Water burg, Connecticut, June 5, 1870. They have one child, Emily W. (born June 10, 1871). Dr. Magoun has been president of Iowa College nearly sixteen years, and as a practical business financier and profound educator, stands in the foremost rank. He is an eloquent preacher and lecturer, an excellent writer and a deep thinker. Though possessed of charitable and generous nature has unbending Christian principle and character.
MAHLER, G.F.—Grinnell Twp—pg 914. Of the firm of Mahler & Sutherland, dry goods and groceries. Was born in Dayton, Ohio, November 2, 1855, and there attended school until February, 1868, when he moved to Galena, Illinois, and there attended the Galena College, graduating therefrom in July, 1871. Then returned to his place of birth and engaged in the mercantile business which he continued until the winter of 1874, and then went to Kellogg, this State. There he continued the same business, and in the spring of 1876 came to this county and settled in Grinnell. Here he has been in business since. Was married in Grinnell, April 21, 1879, to Miss Etta L. Newman.
MARSH, C.H.—Grinnell Twp—pg 914. Farmer, section 27, P.O. Grinnell. Was born in Windsor county, Vermont, December 13, 1846, and at the age of five years removed with his parents to Wisconsin, where he remained one and a half years. He then came to Poweshiek county, settling here September 10, 1854, and has received his education here. Has followed farming all his life, and now owns a farm of 240 acres, improved, upon which is a large barn 36x72 feet; also has fifty-five head of cattle, twelve horses and colts and about ninety hogs. His marriage was in Grinnell on the 24th of March, 1870, to Miss Melinda Dacator. Their family consists of two children: Ira P. and Edith J.
MERRILL, A.M.—Grinnell Twp—pg 914-15. Of the firm of Kimball & Merrill, dealers in dry good, boots and shoes, etc., Grinnell. Was born in Maine, May 2, 1848, and there grew to manhood and was educated. In 1864 he moved to McGregor, Iowa, where he taught school one term, and in 1866 became engaged in the lumber business, which he continued one year, until 1867, and then went to Minnesota where he remained about two months. He then returned to McGregor and obtained a position as book-keeper in a hardware store. In 1868 he left there and went to Castana, this State, and resumed the lumber business until 1869, when he became engaged in the mercantile and produce business, continuing that trade until the fall of 1877. In September, 1878, he came to Grinnell and embarked in his present business. This firm has a large and lucrative trade. Mr. Merrill has been twice married; first, in Dakotah, Iowa, May 7, 1870, to Miss Anna M. Treadwell. His second marriage was in McGregor, September 7, 1875, to Miss Mary J. Barnhart. By this union they have two children: Grace E. and Charles S.
MILLIMAN, J.H.—Grinnell Twp—pg 915. Deputy Sheriff, Grinnell. Was born in Tompkins county, New York, and was there educated and raised to manhood. He remained there following farming until the fall of 1865 [sic], when he removed to Ohio, resumed agricultural pursuits, and on the seventeenth of April, 1861, enlisted in company G, Twenty-fifth Ohio volunteers. Was promoted from private to orderly, then second and first lieutenants and finally to a captaincy, and was assigned to company K. Served until the fall of 1864 when he was honorably discharged; participated in the second battle of Bull Run, Cross Keys, Chancerlorsville, Gettysburg, Cedar Mountain and many others. After his discharge he returned to Ohio, and in December, 1864, came to Poweshiek county where he followed farming until the fall of 1873, and then came to this city. He was appointed Deputy Sheriff and is the present incumbent. Mr. Milliman has been twice married; first, in Tompkins county, New York, January 14, 1853, to Miss M.A. Burlew. They had one child by this union, Hiram W. His second marriage was in Grinnell, April 25, 1878, to Miss Mary S. Leisure.
MUSCOTT, H.B.—Grinnell Twp—pg 915-16. County Auditor, section 13. To a self-made man who has battled his way to success through his own unaided ability and gained an honored and responsible position in society, much should be accredited. The subject of this sketch is the architect of his own fortune, and his rise in the world must be attributed to his energy and perseverance. Born in Oneida county, New York, October 21, 1829, where he lived on a farm until he was sixteen years of age, assisting his father during the summer and attending the common school during the winter; this, with three terms in a graded school, when nine, twelve and fourteen years of age, comprised his schooling as far as schools were concerned. In 1846, in company with his parents, he removed from his native State and located in Washtenaw county, Michigan, at a place called Dexter, where he continued to live until 1866, when he again removed to Polk county, Iowa. During Lincoln’s administration he was appointed postmaster of Dexter, Michigan, a position he held five years, commencing in 1861; and was also there engaged in the mercantile business for two years; with these exceptions his time was mostly devoted to agricultural pursuits. In 1868 he came to this county and located on section 13, Grinnell township, where he still resides, having one hundred and sixty acres of Poweshiek’s best soil in his possession, all well-improved. In 1875 he was elected by his friends to the office of County Auditor, and has been re-elected two consecutive terms; during this time he has discharged the duties of his office with such care, integrity and effectiveness, that his character both as a private citizen and public officer has never been tainted by a breath of suspicion. In January, 1856, he returned to his native county and was there united in marriage with Miss Sylva Macomber, and their family circle are: Clayton A., Freddie, Hattie A., Mabel, Brayton, Martha and Horace.