Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.



HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA

A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement

VOLUME I ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912

Digitized for Microsoft Corporation by the Internet Archive in 2008.
From New York Public Library.
May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.

 

Transcribed and donated by Marilyn Setzler.

CHAPTER X.

CHAPTER X PDF File

Page 119          Page 120          Page 121          Page 122          Page 123          Page 124         Page 125          Page 126
Page 127          Page 128          Page 129          Page 130          Page 131          Page 132         Page 133

 


HIGH SCHOOL, COON RAPIDS
 

1880-1885.

THE INDICTMENT OF GEO. EFFERTS AND PETER NEW FOR STARTING THE CARROLL FIRE OF I879—THE NEW RAILROADS FROM CARROLL TO KIRKMAN AND AUDUBON—THE 1880 DEBT STATEMENT OF CARROLL COUNTY—REMOVAL OF HOYT BUILDING FROM CARROLL FIRE LIMITS—NARROW ESCAPE OF C. C. COLCLO FROM DROWNING—ORGANIZATION OF JEFF C. DAVIS POST AT CARROLL—INCORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF MANNING—DISASTROUS FIRE AT MANNING—NEW TOWN OF TEMPLETON—DEDHAM—COON RAPIDS—THE MURDER OF THOMAS MAHER AT ARCADIA BY THOMAS FAY—THE BIG GLIDDEN FIRE OF CHRISTMAS EVE—COL. COOKE ELECTED DEPARTMENT COMMANDER OF THE G. A. R.—LYNCHING OF TEXAS DESPERADOES AT HARLAN—FIRE CAUSES LARGE WASTE OF ARCADIA PROPERTY—THE HANGING OF OLD MAN JELLERSON AND ITS RESULTS—DEFALCATION OF COUNTY TREASURER W. R. RUGGLES—GRADUAL TREND OF CARROLL COUNTY FROM REPUBLICAN TO DEMOCRATIC PREDILECTIONS—RUGGLES' BONDSMEN MUST PAY.

 

1880.

November 2—At the general election Carroll county cast the following presidential vote: Garfield, 1,189; Hancock, 1,169; Weaver, 104. P. M. Guthrie of Carroll, who was this year nominated by the democrats for congress, received 1,261 votes against 1,102 for Carpenter. Wm. Lynch, Jr., was re-elected clerk of courts. For recorder, John Messersmith received 1,274 votes against 1,098 for J. P. Hess. Other officials elected: Surveyor, R. Hill; coroner, D. Wayne; supervisors, Geo. E. Russell, James Thompson. With the exception of Lynch and Thompson the republicans elected their ticket.

November 21—James McVay's livery stable at Glidden broken into and a pair of horses, buggy, double harness and fur robes stolen. Value of the property $400. The outfit was the property of A. W. Dawson.

November 21—Major A. E. Anderson has resigned as district attorney and is succeeded by E. B. Eaton of Sidney by appointment of the governor.

November 24—An examination by the grand jury of the county jail results in the condemnation of the building as unfit to harbor prisoners on account of the filthy condition. Carroll county prisoners are sent to Council Bluffs for safe keeping. The body recommends a new jail.

December 6—A new fire company with eighteen charter members is formed at Carroll and the following officers elected: Chief, James Thompson; assistant, Sam Todd; 2d assistant, F. Sprague; secretary, C. Casher; treasurer, C. S. Whitman; engine keeper, Wm. Miller.

December 8—Engineers are surveying a line to run from the first station south of Carroll on the Harlan branch to Audubon.

December 12—Arcadia with one-fourth of the population of Carroll has seven saloons while Carroll has six. The saloons at Arcadia run without license, the town not being incorporated. Glidden requires saloon keepers to give a bond of $500 in addition to the license and has but one saloon.

The stations on the new railroad southwest from Carroll are now being located and named. The first, on the northwest quarter of section 18, Roselle township, between eight and nine miles southwest of Carroll, is called Halbur. This is the only town on the new line in Carroll county. The second station, being in Iowa township, Crawford county, just across the county line, is called Manning. The expectation was that this town would be in Carroll county but it was not possible to procure the land where the company desired at a reasonable price. [It was afterwards located in Warren township, Carroll county.] The third station is nine miles from Manning in Shelby county, called Irwin. The terminus of the road will be at Kirkman, seven miles from Harlan. The price of business lots in the new towns are $100 to $200 with liberal reductions to those who build: Residence lots, $100 to $150. The survey of the C. M. & St. P. road from Marion to Council Bluffs runs directly through the town plat of Manning. Should the road be built there Manning will make one of the best towns in this part of Iowa. It is expected that trains will be running on the Carroll-Kirkman branch by the first of next July.

1881.

January 10—The debt statement of Carroll is reported by County Auditor H. E.

Russell at the close of the year 1880 as follows:

 

Bonds and warrants outstanding Jan. 1, '80.......................... $35,122.68

Bills audited and unpaid.........................................................         193.38

Total debt Jan. 1, '80, less interest on bonds.........................   35,316.06

Add issue 1880 county fund...................................................   13,642.69

Add issue 1880 bridge fund....................................................     8,041.48

            Total...........................................................................  $57,000.23

                                $57,000.23

Deduct cancellations Co. fund made during 1880...............  $13,418.45

Deduct cancellations bridge fund made during 1880..........      8,041.48

Deduct cancellation bonds....................................................    11,000.00

Total cancellations..................................................................                     $32,459.93

            Balance.......................................................................                      $24,540.30

Deduct 1870 issue Co. fund outlawed....................................                               45.30

Total debt less interest on bonds............................................                     $24,495.00

Interest on bonds to Jan. 1, 1881...........................................                            606.25

Grand total outstanding debt Jan. 1, 1881.............................                     $25,101.25

January 10—From annual report (1880) of G. W. Wattles, superintendent of schools: Certificates applied for, 208; issued, 38 first class; 69 second class; 70 third class; 31 rejected. At the institute in September 101 teachers were enrolled and sixty-three examined. Six frame schoolhouses have been built during the year. There are now 117 schoolhouses in the county and 136 schools, all but six of which are in session. The latter are not in operation for the reason that competent teachers are not obtainable.

February 12—The most violent snow storm of a very severe winter continued three days, blockading the railroads to such an extent that no trains could get through from Thursday until the following Tuesday. A train on the Maple river Sic [River] branch left the junction Friday and was a full week in making the round trip. The train on the Sac City branch from Wall Lake was snow bound ten days. The mail carrier from Carroll to Audubon left Carroll Tuesday and had not reported the following Monday. He abandoned his team in Eden township and made the rest of the trip on foot. Snow is again falling heavily and is drifting before a heavy wind.

March 2—M. Miller now occupies his new store room on Fifth street, one of the finest in Carroll.

March 6—At the Carroll city election the following candidates were chosen: Mayor, J. W. Scott; recorder, A. E. Smith; assessor, J. W. King; councilmen, C. Hamilton, N. Beiter, C. S. Whitman. The number of votes polled was 162.

March 9—No trains arrived in Carroll last week from Sunday morning until Wednesday on account of a furious storm of snow and wind.

March 11—The T. L. Bowman residence, occupied by E. M. Parsons, burned partially. Mr. Parsons' loss was small.

March 16—The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad has filed for record a mortgage which states that the company contemplates building a line of road from Marion, in Linn county, to Council Bluffs, a portion of which will pass through Carroll county. It is, however, by no means certain that the line will run through this county. The latest reports are to the effect that it will run considerably south of the county line. Railroad rumors are proverbially unreliable, and the truth is no one aside from the principal officials know the real intentions of the company.

March 21—A meeting was held at the courthouse to resurrect the Carroll County Agricultural society, and a committee of Wm. Gilley, S. C. Martin and E. Lincoln appointed to determine the steps to be taken.

March 30—M. Kimbal has purchased the James Rookes' place near Carroll. It consists of 15 acres, for which he paid $1,100.

April 4—Ferguson & Chambers' safe at Glidden blown open by burglars and $300 taken.

April 6—The Carroll authorities have commenced work to remove M. A. Hoyt's building to a place outside of the fire limits and the building will start on its travels today. They are acting under the provision of an agreement signed by M. A. Hoyt & Bro. made in consideration of a permit to erect and use a frame building until December 1st, 1880. Mr. Hoyt forbade any one to attempt to remove his building and threatens to resort to legal measures. The removal of the building was accomplished to a point a short distance from its foundation on Main street, when a storm set in and it was impossible to proceed further at the time. When work could be resumed the building was set up on new foundations on a lot west of Burke's hotel. During these delays Mr. Hoyt procured an injunction forbidding interference with his property. The council met in special session and passed an ordinance curing certain defects in the fire ordinance as originally drawn.

May 4—Dr. H. T. Emeis has arrived in Carroll and formed a business partnership with Dr. Lane.

May 18—C. C. Colclo and Van Tuttle, of Carroll, came near drowning in the river at Grant City. They were on a fishing excursion with several others and started to cross the water a short distance above the dam in a boat with a single oar. The river was high and a tremendous body of water was pouring over the dam with a fall of fifteen feet. Seeing it was certain the boat would go over both men jumped, Tuttle landing in shoal water and made his way to the bank. Colclo was not so fortunate and was almost instantly swept over the dam. He did not come to the surface for what seemed an age. Just as his friends were giving up hope Colclo's head bobbed above the surface and he struck out boldly for the shore, where he arrived with his hat still on his head and a half-smoked cigar in his teeth. While he was rolling around in the water below the dam he did not have time to take off his hat or throw away his cigar.

May 25—It was discovered by the builders of the Milwaukee road at its crossing with the Audubon branch survey in Warren township that by the surveys adopted the lines crossed each other three times in less than a mile. The Milwaukee, suspecting the location of the branch road to have been made to prevent any crossing at all, rushed in teams and men from all parts of the system until they had assembled at this point an army of 300. With this force they put through their grade in one night. After a suit the Milwaukee was forced to pay the Northwestern $38,000 in order to cross the Kirkman branch, already constructed and in operation. The Northwestern, however, was required to pay back the same amount for its right of way over the Milwaukee track for the Audubon branch. Many rumors of war attended these bickerings but the troubles all ended without bloodshed.

May 25—Wm. Gilley has men at work on his lot, corner of Main and Fifth streets, putting in the foundation for a brick building 23x66 feet to consist of two stories.

May 30—Decoration day was observed for the first time in Carroll.

June 1—Judge Reed issued an order suspending Sheriff Bechler for misconduct in office. That Bechler is badly behind on funds collected on executions is beyond question, but how much these sums amount to nobody has any idea, Bechler least of all.

June 23—Grand Mustering Officer A. Culley of Des Moines instituted Jeff C. Davis Post, G. A. R., with a membership of thirty-five. There is much enthusiasm among the old soldiers and it is believed the post will soon be one of the strongest in the state. Following are the officers of the new order:

John B. Cooke, Commander.

F. M. Meade, Vice-Sen. Commander.

D. A. Cudworth, Jr. V. Commander.

W. L. Culbertson, Quartermaster.

Wm. Lynch, Jr., Adjutant.

Rev. T. S. Bailey, Chaplain.

J. W. Hatton, Surgeon.

J. R. Lowrey, Officer of the Day.

L. Putzel, Officer of the Guard.

D. Daily, Q. M. Sergeant.

H. H. Ranger, Sergeant Major.

July 6—The Board of Supervisors are in session to arrange for an early completion of the poor house.

This vicinity was visited by the heaviest rain ever known, sixteen inches of water falling in the three hours during which it continued. The Southwestern track was badly washed and it will take weeks to repair the damage. The new grade of the Milwaukee also suffered greatly. The flood swept 8,000 brick out of O'Neal's yard together with two thousand feet of lumber. County and railroad bridges in every direction were washed out. Owing to these conditions no mails were received from Wednesday until Saturday. The railroad bridge over the Des Moines river at Moingona went down under a freight train and several were killed. Kate Shelley, by crossing the bridge on the frame work and girders on her hands and knees, saved a passenger train from a like fate.

August 2—The four children in the family of August Battles, of Roselle township, have died within the past month of diphtheria.

August 3—The representative convention of the district composed of Greene, Calhoun and Carroll counties met at the court house. H. W. Macomber of Carroll was nominated on the second ballot by a majority of one over the present member, S. T. Hutchinson of Calhoun.

August 24—At the new town of Manning fifty-three lots are already sold and there is talk of incorporating the town. The towns expects to have 306 inhabitants before the end of the year.

August 25—W. T. Minchen, president of the Carroll County Bank, sells the bank and business to A. W. Patterson & Bro. of Gilman, Iowa. The new firm has reorganized the bank with a capital of $50,000. J. W. Thomas remains as cashier.

August 26—Gotleib Schleissman, aged 13, son of Adam Schleissman, living in Kniest township, was driving a harvester in a field of flax when a tornado suddenly swept through the farm, blowing him from his seat in front of the sickle of the machine, frightfully mangling his body and killing the child at once.

September 11—St. Anthony's Institute, the academy designed by the Franciscan sisters a year ago, will commence its first school year October 4. The building is large and comfortable. The school is in charge of Sister Felicitas.

September 17—The republican county convention made the following nominations: treasurer, W. R. Ruggles; auditor, H. E. Russell; sheriff, W. T. Lambertson; superintendent of schools, G. W. Wattles; surveyor, Geo. Bennett; supervisors, T. B. McClew, Peter Lamont.

            September 24—The democratic convention nominated: treasurer, J. Thompson; auditor, D. A. Cudworth; superintendent of schools, C. C. Colclo; supervisors, Jos. Rettenmaier, Thos. Rich.

October 1—Several buildings in course of erection at Manning were blown down by a tornado. The damage was not great. The large Catholic church at Vail, erected two years ago, was leveled to the ground.

October 5—S. L. Wilson of Manning is buying the material for a paper in that town for which he has chosen the name of The Monitor. A Mr. Stowell is about to begin the publication of a paper at Coon Rapids called The Enterprise.

October 11—Results of the general election: Sherman receives 1,110 votes and carries the county over Kinne (1,067) for governor by a plurality of forty-three. For representative, F. L. Danforth received 1,428 votes over 744 for H. W. Macomber. Elected to county offices: treasurer, Ruggles (rep.); auditor, Russell (rep.); sheriff, Hamilton (dem.); superintendent, Colclo (dem.); surveyor, Bennett (rep.); coroner, Feenstra (dem.); supervisors, Rich, Rettenmaier (dem.).

November 2—E. R. Hastings has been appointed postmaster at Carroll for another term of four years.

November 16—John Nestle of Marshalltown has bought of D. Wayne the business lot on Main street adjoining the Bowdish building.

December 6—The first issue of the Manning Monitor announces that the first religious service in that town was conducted by Rev. Elliott of the M. E. Church on Sunday, the 4th. The minister has arranged for regular services in the future.

December 28—St. Joseph's parish has placed a 1,200 pound bell, costing $400, in the steeple of the church.

December 29—A membership of 45 was reported at the annual meeting of Jeff C. Davis Post, G. A. R.

1882.

February 5—H. C. Stevens has retired from business and has been succeeded by C. R. Ludwig, a brother of his former partner.

March 10—A vote on incorporation at Manning resulted in 171 for to four against the proposition. At the ensuing election (March 10) for city officials John R. Collomore received 122 and J. R. Benson 82. George E. Hunt was elected recorder and Byron E. Whaten assessor; treasurer, O. E. Dutton; marshal, H. Chapman; councilmen—J. M. Turner, N. F. Shear, P. A. Emery, M. Hoffman, J. L. McQuaid, R. F. Tidd. The number of votes cast was 209. At the first meeting the council passed an ordinance fixing saloon licenses at $300 with a bond of $1,000 for non-violation of the law. The birth of Manning as a municipal corporation was attended with a great deal of excitement and ended in a crushing defeat to what was known as the "Geo. Makepeace" faction.

March 6—At the Carroll city election Thos. F. Barbee was elected mayor; J. W. King, recorder; Fred Suydam, assessor. Councilmen—John Nye, W. L. Culbertson.

March 10—The Alex McArthur farm, five miles southwest of Carroll, containing 485 acres of well improved land, has been purchased by John Rogers, of Carroll township, and Edward Osborne of Hazel Green, Wis., Mr. Rogers buying 160 acres and Mr. Osborne what remains. The price was $12,000 cash, or a small fraction less than $25 per acre.

March 13—The Grant City mill with 800 bushels of wheat and 2 tons of flour tumbled into the river and is a complete wreck. An effort is being made to secure funds for rebuilding the mill by the circulation of a public subscription paper.

April 5—The frame of the first store building at Dedham, 20x66 feet, was blown down. Strong Davis was on the frame at the time and by jumping saved himself from severe injury.

April 10—A fire at Manning, originating at 8 o'clock in the (Sunday) evening in Heintzelman & Moody's dry goods and grocery store, destroyed thirteen buildings. The origin of the fire is not known but incendiarism is suspected. It was discovered in the rear of the Heintzelman & Moody store, where the fire had made so much headway it was impossible to save any but a small part of the stock, valued at $7,000. There were neither fire apparatus nor water at hand with which to check the flames, which burned until all of the material was exhausted to feed upon. The entire population turned its attention to saving as much of the movable property as possible. The loss was as follows: Collamore & Priest, general store, $4,000; Wetherill & Marsh, hardware, building $1,600, stock, $3,000; Whaten Bros., groceries, building and stock, $5,000; Stocker's butcher shop, $200; Garstenberg's saloon, building and contents, $1,600; Hoffman & Shook, dry goods, $3,000; postoffice, $300; McQuaid & Hamilton, grocers, stock and building, $3,000; M. B. Freelove, three buildings, $3,000; Webb's saloon and boarding house, $2,500. A large portion of the possible loss was saved, as the fire did not burn rapidly on account of previous wet weather, and stocks could be carried to safety.

April 12—Matilda Fletcher lectured at Carroll on the "Mistakes of Ingersoll."

May 31—The new town of Templeton is located in the center of the Wm. Overmire farm and on what was once an immense corn field. Three buildings are now erected and ready for plastering and painting. The first building, 22x60, was put up by Wm. Pexsie, and will be occupied by Wm. Hayward with the postoffice and a stock of goods. One of the other building belongs to Mr. Sherwood and will be occupied by a general store. Wm. Overmire's building will be used as a restaurant and hotel. The Joyce Lumber company is making preparations to put in a lumber yard. The first social event of the town was a dance at the Pexsie building in which fifty young couples participated. The town has a promising future.

June 8—The Arf hotel and several other buildings were destroyed by fire at Arcadia with a total loss of about $5,000. The intelligent and active work of the fire department saved a much greater loss. But for this work the fire would have swept the town.

June 28—The business directory of the new town of Desham Sic [Dedham]is as follows: J. H. Harrold, groceries; Harover & Hoch, druggists; Shifford Carmichel, boots and shoes; Elliott & Ackerson, hardware; D. M. Grove, restaurant; A. W. Basom, groceries; S. M. Holmes, general merchandise; D. P. Allen, coal and machinery; Dixon & Fenton, M. Swaney, lumber; Wm. Grove, blacksmith; Burress & Rice, butchers; P. Weaver, barber; W. A. Johnson, hotel; B. H. Hauver, physician; A. W. Lytton, attorney at law.

July 3—At the special election to vote on the constitutional prohibitory amendment the result in Carroll county is as follows:

For the amendment................... 1,138

Against the amendment............ 1,556

Majority against...............    418

June 21—A man named Schnetzer died at Manning from the smallpox in an aggravated form.

July 5—Louis Keckevoet, one of the first German settlers of Carroll county, died at his home as the result of an accident. He got up from bed and went to the pump for a drink, when he fainted on the stairs and fell to the walk. His family were asleep and did not hear him and he laid for some time until discovered by some one passing. As a result of his injuries peritonitus set in the next day and he died after three days of great suffering. Mr. Keckevoet was born in Germany at Welderengen, Westphalia, in 1843. He and his family came to Carroll county in 1875 from Dubuque, settling at Hillsdale, where he set up a general store, a short time after locating in Carroll and engaging in merchandizing. Mr. Keckevoet died in his forty-sixth year and his passing is deeply mourned in all parts of Carroll county.

August 2—The Carroll fire department received a new hook and ladder truck from the factory of G. M. Needles at Atlantic. The truck was received by the entire company of twenty-eight men in full uniform. At the engine house the crowd was so large that a half could not get in. The ladies gave a voting contest to raise funds for the company. The napkin ring to the most popular fireman was won by Major W. August Forda.

August 16—The new town of Coon Rapids, the plat of which has hardly had time to get cold, aims to be the second city in point of population in the county in a very short time. The Milwaukee road placed the business lots on the market very low, some of the best on Main street being $75, making it a condition that the buildings should be something more substantial than shanties. To insure this result the company refuses to give a deed until buildings are completed and are found to come up to the required standard. The principal firms of the town are: E. & W. Garst, general merchandise; George Ferguson, hardware; Putnam & Morris, general merchandise; Runyon Bros., drugs; Coon Rapids bank, J. Cooney, manager; Steele & Johnson, furniture; Jos. Miller, clothing; Harris, Morris & Co., lumber; Ira Dermone, groceries; Reynolds hotel; M. F. Stowell, hardware; John B. Cooke, implements; Dr. Garst, physician.

August 28—Died, at Carroll, Mrs. Ophelia C. Hatton, wife of J. W. Hatton, aged thirty-three years and twenty-six days.

September 6—H. E. Brooks has purchased all other interests in the flouring mill at Carroll.

September 13—The vote at Manning on the question of issuing $5,000 bonds to secure a depot of the Milwaukee was carried by 140 for to three votes against.

September 18—Thomas Fay, a saloon keeper at Arcadia, shot and killed Thomas Maher, a man who had lived in the town from its beginning and who was known to be a quiet citizen. Maher was a drayman and there had been disputes between him and Fay concerning freights. Fay was abusive at these times. On the day of the shooting a freight train brought a keg of beer for Fay, who wanted Maher to take it to his saloon at once. Maher's refusal made him angry and he carried the beer to the saloon himself. In the evening Maher strolled into the place and told Fay he had better take the beer back or receipt for it. A quarrel arose and a fight ensued in which Maher received three stabs from a knife in Fay's hand. The wound which killed was a stab in the abdomen. Maher lived during the night but died the following morning. A coroner's jury was impaneled and rendered the following verdict:

We, the jury in the inquest held on the body of Thomas Maher, find that he came to his death from a stab by a knife in the hand of Thomas Fay, September 18, 1882, in the town of Arcadia, Carroll county, Iowa.

[Note.—Fay was convicted of murder and received a life sentence. Some years later he was pardoned by act of the governor.]

September 23—Henry Schleissman, the eleven-year-old-son of Henry Schleissman, of Kniest township, was gored to death by a bull. At evening the lad went to the pasture for the cows as usual but did not return. The child's body was found the next morning fearfully mangled. This is the second child of this family to meet with a fatal accident within a few months.

October 7—The democratic county convention nominated a ticket as follows: Clerk, Wm. Lynch; recorder, J. P. Hess; supervisor, Wm. Over-mire.

October 14—The republicans nominated a ticket as follows: Clerk, John Messersmith; recorder, J. M. Paul; supervisor, E. Cole.

November 6—Results of general election: Democratic state ticket, 1,436; Republican state ticket, 1,153; Democratic plurality, 283; county clerk, Wm. Lynch, Jr.; recorder, J. P. Hess; supervisor, Joseph Overmire.

A proposition for a tax to build a new court house was also submitted at this election and defeated by a vote of 656 for to 1,546 against—majority against 890.

December 25—Christmas eve found the people of Glidden fighting the flames in the midst of a high wind and a blinding storm. The fire originated in the oil room of McVay's drug store at 10:30 at night and was beyond the control of all of the facilities at hand when discovered. The McVay place was near the center of the long row of buildings used for business purposes, all of which were built of wood. The district, described as follows, was reduced to ashes: Foster Bros.' drug store; Henry Pruss, saloon and billiard hall and meat market; Dave Atkinson, building occupied by Newsboy office and T. A. Cochran's real estate office; John Vaughn, saloon; Waldron's jewelry store; George Chambers, hardware. Here a really remarkable piece of work was done in checking the fire. Between Atkinson's building and the Bonner shoe store was an alley three feet wide. Here the defenders stationed themselves with a small hand engine and a bucket brigade and succeeded in staying the fire and saving the remaining business portion of the town. The Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges were involved in the destruction. The fire to the south stopped with the burning of the Chambers building. The loss is estimated at $35,000.

Dec. 31—Rev. T. S. Bailey, pastor of the Carroll Presbyterian church, preached his last sermon as resident minister. He has been chosen synodical missionary of the general Presbyterian body and enters upon his new work at once.

H. C. Ford purchases the Carroll Sentinel and assumes full charge as editor and publisher.

Dr. J. W. Gustine leaves Carroll to make his future home in Florida.

J. C. Holmes discontinued the Glidden Newsboy after the recent fire and has established a paper called The Times at Bayard.

At the first election of the newly incorporated town of Coon Rapids the following officers were chosen: Mayor, J. T. Louthon; Recorder, L. W. Morgan; Assessor, John Heater; Trustees, G. Thompson, H. L. Melter, A. C. Steele, John Cooney, I. L. Dermond, A. R. Hatfield.

1883.

January 10—Board of Supervisors order an addition built to the county poor house to be used for insane persons.

McPherson Post, G. A. R., is organized at Manning with the following charter officers: Commander, S. E. Whitcher; S. V. C., Joseph Moore; J. V. C., Geo. Stocker; Officer of the Day, H. Stocker; Adjutant, C. M. Failing.

The city council of Manning has purchased ten acres in the N. E. , Sec. 18, Warren township, to be used as a cemetery, paying $45 per acre.

January 24—The Green Bay Lumber Co., incorporated with a capital of $500,000, $158,000 paid up, E. C. Finkbine, chairman of the board of directors. Manager of local yard, Geo. H. Lane.

Rev. Elliott, pastor of Manning circuit, M. E. church, has raised a subscription of $900 toward the erection of a $1,200 church in the Rogers neighborhood to be erected in the spring.

January 31—Peter Thein, of Roselle township, awarded first prize by Moore's Rural New Yorker in a national corn contest conducted under the auspices of that journal.

February 5—Petition presented to the city council of Carroll and signed exclusively by saloon keepers, asking a reduction of the license on saloons from $300 to $200, granted according to request.

March 5—The result of the Carroll city election is, to-wit: Mayor, Thos. F. Barbee; recorder, T. A. Suydam; assessor, J. H. Marnette; councilman, Jas. Thompson, A. Park, I. N. Force, H. E. Brooks. A referendum was taken on the saloon license question, as follows: For $200 license, 2 votes; $300, 70; $400, 6; $500, 179. Total vote cast, 289.

At Manning: Mayor, J. W. Martin; recorder, H. Marsh; treasurer, O. E. Dalton; street commissioner, J. W. Barnes; trustees, M. L. Patton, Wm. Schoop, V. Rousch, E. G. Sharp, E. M. Funk, G. C. Hunt. Total vote cast, 226.

Total vote cast at Coon Rapids' city election, 162.

April 4, 5—At the annual encampment of the G. A. R., department of Iowa, held at Des Moines, Col. John B. Cooke, of Jeff C. Davis Post, was elected department commander. Upon the return of Col. Cooke to Carroll a popular reception was held in his honor at Joyce's hall. Col. Cooke appointed the following staff: Adjutant general, W. L. Culbertson; acting assistant adjutant general, Wm. Lynch, Jr.; quarter master general, John K. Deal; aid de camp and chief of staff, J. W. Hatton—all of the latter members of Jeff C. Davis Post.

April 25—A lodge of Knights of Pythias organized at Carroll with the following officers: P. C., Geo. R. Cloud; C. C., J. W. Hatton; V. C., W. L. Sharp; Prelate, R. D. Backus; M. of F., Frank Brooks; M. of A., J. R. Whitney; I. G., J. C. Scott; O. G., W. E. Sturges; Trustees, Jas. Thompson, M. Miller, Thos. F. Barbee.

May 16—J. R. Whitney & Co., organized, wholesale fruits and confectionery.

May 25—Dr. S. M. Ballard, one of the commissioners appointed to locate the original county seat of Carroll county, died at his home at Council Bluffs.

May 26—Major W. Augustus Fonda admitted to practice before the bar of Carroll county.

May 26—The new Catholic church at Mt. Cannel burned with scarcely an article of value saved. The origin of the fire is unknown. The building was of brick, 140x80 feet, and was erected at a cost of $15,000. The interior was not yet fully completed.

June 20—The passenger trains on the north branch now run from Carroll instead of Maple River Junction.

June 28—At an election upon the question of issuing $2,500 bonds to build a schoolhouse on the south side at Carroll, 37 votes were cast, all favorable to the measure.

July 13—Three robbers, who robbed and shot R. L. Clingun, postmaster at Polk City, took refuge in Elkhorn grove, in Shelby county, where they were surrounded by a force of 500 armed men from the surrounding country. One of the posse was killed and two others wounded before the capture of the last man was effected. Of the robbers, Ben Gates was riddled with bullets and killed. Wm. Purdy was hanged by the mob. The third, Hardy, was voted a reprieve by his captors on account of his assertions of innocence and bravery and given into the hands of the sheriff of Shelby county. He was later lynched by a second mob. The desperadoes were from Dennison, Texas.

[Note—This episode is the most famous criminal event ever known in Western Iowa.]

August 1—R. R. Woodring removes to Carroll from Marshalltown.

August 8—A fire starting in the City Saloon at Coon Rapids spread to Ish's building on the east and Reddigs shoe store and Caswell's restaurant on the east.

August 26—Presbyterian church at Manning dedicated, Rev. R. F. Coyle of Fort Dodge officiating, assisted by Rev. T. S. Bailey. The cost of the church building is $2,000.

August 29—A bell weighing with fixtures 4,552 pounds has been installed in the belfry of the new Catholic church at Mt. Carmel.

September 2—The democrats in county convention, nominated: representative, M. Miller; treasurer, Peter Berger; auditor, F. M. Leibfried, sheriff, R. J. Hamilton; county superintendent, C. C. Colclo; surveyor, A. Bruch; supervisors, C. H. Westbrook, J. B. Graham.

September 3—A fire at Arcadia, originating in the rear of Johnson's harness shop, burned twenty buildings and entailed a loss of $30,000. It is supposed to have arisen from the spontaneous combustion of oils used in the shop. The section burned: Frank Koepke, wagon shop; J. W. Moore, paint shop up stairs; Henry Redden, shoe shop; E. Dunbar, grain warehouse; R. F. Johnson, harness; Curran's bank; C. A. Daniels, warehouse, 2,000 bushels corn and 1,000 bushels barley and other grain; office Erp Bros. lumber; D. B. Barr, saloon; Weber's meat market; W. C. Anthony, warehouse; the Carroll Lumber Co., owned by V. Hinrichs, Geo. Stanton and Will Joyce, lumber yard. The loss was covered by fair insurance.

September 19—W. L. Culbertson disposes of an interest in the Bank of Carroll to H. W. Macomber and R. E. Coburn.

September 22—The republican county convention made nominations as follows: representative, H. E. Russell, who declined and J. W. Hobbs nomin ated; treasurer, W. R. Ruggles; auditor, F. A. Charles; sheriff, H. C. Stevens; superintendent of schools, D. M. Grove; coroner L. P. Brigham; supervisors, A. C. Steele, W. F. Steigerwalt.

October 9—The following were chosen at the general election: representative, M. Miller; treasurer, W. R. Ruggles; auditor, F. M. Leibfried; sheriff, R. J. Hamilton; superintendent of schools, C. C. Colclo; surveyor, Anton Bruch; coroner, L. S. Stoll; supervisors, J. B. Graham, C. H. Westbrook. The county gave a majority of 378 for the democratic state ticket.

October 28—An election at Breda gave a large majority in favor of incorporation.

November 12—By the accidental discharge of a gun while hunting on Storm creek bottom the arm of E. M. Parsons of Carroll was shot off.

December 2—The German Evangelical church at Carroll dedicated with services by Rev. Jacob Henn, presiding elder, assisted by Rev. Henry Hiebenthall, the pastor. The building cost $1,850 and was dedicated out of debt.

1884.

January 1—Paul Maclean joins as a partner with E. R. Hastings in the publication and editorship of the Carroll Herald.

January 16—R. Hastings re-appointed postmaster at Carroll.

February 20—Dr. L. Q. Spaulding, homeopathist, begins the practice of medicine at Carroll.

March 3—The Carroll city election resulted: Mayor, T. F. Barbee; recorder, F. A. Suydam; assessor, J. H. Marnette; councilmen, Col. J. B. Cooke, J. L. Wetherell, and G. W. Bowen to succeed John Nye, resigned.

March 19—Father J. P. O'Connor succeeds Rev. Urbany as pastor of St. Joseph's parish.

April 9—A company of the Iowa National Guard, taking the title of Company E, First Regiment, has been made a part of the regular armed force of the state. The following officers have been elected by the company, which is composed of fifty enlisted men and non-commissioned officers: Captain, Geo. R. Cloud; first lieutenant, J. H. Stewart; second lieutenant, R. E. Coburn.

April 12—Hon. M. Miller has purchased the Carroll Sentinel from H. C. Ford and becomes its sole proprietor and editor.

April 30—A farmer by the name of Smythe living near Dedham, his brother-in-law Wilson living in the vicinity of Coon Rapids, and a brother of their respective wives, Cicero Jellerson, are in jail at Audubon charged with the murder of old man Jellerson, the father-in-law and father of all of the parties concerned. The three went to the house of the old man in Viola township, Audubon county, at night and taking the old man from his bed hanged him to a tree after dragging the clothes from his back by hauling him along the rough ground by a rope fastened to his neck and subjecting him to gross indignities. Smythe accused old Jellerson of incest with one of his daughters and was so active in stirring up the animosity of the other members of the family that the crime came about as the result of a general family understanding. Old Mrs. Jellerson recognized Smythe and her son Cicero in the attack on her husband; and Cicero, who is feeble minded, made a full confession as soon as he was arrested and implicated Wilson along with Smythe. So many crimes have been committed in Audubon county and the authors permitted to go unpunished that the Jellerson murder has given rise to a widespread mob spirit and threats of lynching the three men are freely indulged in. Their trial will come up in August.

May 24—A fire originating in the butcher shop of Frank Meyer at midnight, of probably incendiary beginning, burned the rows of wooden buildings on Fourth and Fifth streets, west of Main street, Carroll. The fire fighters were able to save the Commercial house and lumber yards adjacent by reason of the remarkable stillness of the air at the time. The frame buildings stood on property belonging to J. E. and I. N. Griffith and were occupied by small stores and shops. The loss is $10,000.

July 9—W. R. Ruggles, late treasurer of Carroll county, is, there is no present doubt, a defaulter and a fugitive from justice. Ruggles was last seen in this locality June 28th, when he took the morning train for the west, where he told acquaintances he was going to Grand Island, Neb., to look after business interests. At the meeting of the board of supervisors on the 6th an examination of the treasurer's books revealed a shortage of $24,000. The county is protected by a bond of $100,000, signed by the following: J. J. Graves, H. Winter, P. D. Coryell, C. B. Crittenden, Wm. Heater, H. W. Davenport, Edwin Willey, Thomas Roderick, W. S. Winnett, Charles Shefferd, J. A. Sawvell, T. Evans, A. Zemback and W. T. Minchen. Ruggles' downfall was brought about by unlucky dealings on the Chicago Board of Trade.

July 30—The Carroll Telephone company has been incorporated by W. L. Culbertson, John K. Deal, Wm. Lynch, Jr., and V. Hinrichs, each of whom holds an equal number of shares. Work is under way on a line to Manning, and it is proposed to put up wires and establish connections with Coon Rapids, Dedham, Arcadia, Glidden and Breda.

August 1—Dr. J. M. Patty died at his residence in Carroll after an illness of a few hours. The day before his death he was about the streets and attending to his practice. Dr. Patty is the pioneer physician of Carroll, having established himself here when the town was in its earliest infancy seventeen years ago. He died at the age of 52, leaving a wife and five children and many friends to sorrow for him.

August 13—The contract for the proposed Carroll Water Works system is awarded to the Wind Engine Co. of Batavia, Ill., for $9,995.

Aug. 16—The democratic county convention made the following nominations: Clerk, J. N. Powers; treasurer, P. Berger; recorder, J. P. Hess; supervisors, Jas. Thompson, Jos. Rettenmaier.

August 20—The Democratic congressional convention of the eleventh district in session at Le Mars nominated for congress Thomas F. Barbee of Carroll.

September 13—The Republican county convention made nominations as follows: Clerk, W. L Carpenter; treasurer, E. D. Towne; recorder, C. L Bailey; supervisors, Dana Reed, E. R. Walcott.

October 27—Died, at his home in Carroll, Monday, Oct. 26, J. E. Jones, at the age of 47 years. Mr. Jones was one of the pioneer business men of Carroll, which has been his residence since 1871.

November 5—At the general election Cleveland carried Carroll county over Blaine by a majority of 522. The Democrats elected their entire county ticket as follows: clerk, J. N. Powers; treasurer, P. Berger; recorder, J. P. Hess; supervisors, Jos. Rettenmaier, Jas. Thompson.

November 10—In the suit Carroll county against the bondsmen of W. R. Ruggles, defaulting county treasurer, Judge Lyman files a decision sustaining the county on every contention. The exact amount of the Ruggles' defalcation is found to be $23,299.64.


     st. anthony's hospital, carroll

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives