If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
VOLUME I ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912
Digitized for Microsoft Corporation
by the Internet Archive in 2008.
From New York Public Library.
May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.
Transcribed and donated
by Marilyn Setzler.
THE LYNCHING OF THE JELLERSON MURDERERS AT AUDUBON—THE ELECTION OF W. L. CULBERTSON AND JOHN K. DEAL AS REPRESENTATIVE AND SENATOR—A HISTORIC BLIZZARD BY WHICH CARROLL WAS FOR A WEEK OUT OF THE WORLD—THE BURNING OF THE OLD COURT HOUSE—THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TOWN OF COON RAPIDS BY A TORNADO—DEATH OF EUGENE R. HASTINGS—AFTER MANY DEFEATS THE PROPOSITION TO ISSUE BONDS TO BUILD A NEW COURT HOUSE AND JAIL CARRIES BY A LARGE MAJORITY—BOARD OF SUPERVISORS LETS THE CONTRACT—DEATH OF CAPTAIN WINNETT—UNION LABOR PARTY RISES AND FALLS—DEATH OF FATHER FENDRICK—THE PROHIBITORY LIQUOR LAW BECOMES EFFECTIVE IN CARROLL—THE OUTBREAK OF BOOZE JOINTS AND THE STRAITS OF THE CITY FOR REVENUE—DOLLIVER NOMINATED AND HIS MAIDEN SPEECH AT CARROLL A JOINT DEBATE WITH CAPTAIN YEOMANS—FATAL SHOOTING OF HUNTER BY CONSTABLE JAMES MOLSEED—ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING OF WM. EIKE BY AGENT ISH AT HALBUR—NOMINATION OF JUDGE Z. A. CHURCH AND HIS DEFEAT BY THOMAS RICH.
January 5—The C. D. Miller bank at West Side has suspended and the court has appointed F. L. Boynton receiver.
January 28—V. Henrichs buys the interests of the other stock holders in the Carroll Telephone Company and will consolidate the system with the Northwestern company of Ida Grove. When the wires are connected local connections will have been established with Sac, Ida and Woodberry counties, including Sioux City.
February 6—When it was officially given out at Audubon after the arrest of Wilson, Smythe and Jellerson that there must be "no fooling" to delay the application of justice to the murderers, those who made the order were not indulging in idle statements. When the prisoners were called for trial in the Audubon district court, Geo. W. Paine, attorney for Wilson, joined with other attorneys in an effort to secure for them a change of venue to some county in which the prejudice was not so strong. Judge Loofbourow was disposed to grant the motion, when the word was quietly passed around to the court and lawyers in attendance that they had better disperse or something might happen to them. Mr. Paine came home. Judge Loofbourow was practically overpowered by friends fearful for his safety and driven in a buggy to Atlantic. The same night a mob broke into the jail, overpowered the sheriff, and took possession of the prisoners, two of them, Smythe and Wilson, they hanged to the upper rail of a high board fence around the jail, while Jellerson was suspended from the rafters of the band stand in the park. The mob avenging the murder of old man Jellerson consisted of over 300 men.
March 1—At the Carroll city election Thomas F. Barbee was elected mayor, F. A. Suydam, recorder; Henry Marnette, assessor; councilmen, J. W. Patterson, John Nestle, I. M. Gilley.
March 18—The saloons, which recently closed in a hurry as a result of the supreme court decision sustaining the process of injunction, are now making overtures to the council to pay a license of $20 per month.
May 16—The towns of Carroll county in the new state census are given the following population: Breda, 278; Arcadia, 451; Carroll, 1,885; Glidden, 532; Manning, 954; Templeton, 219; Dedham, 172; Coon Rapids, 720. The entire population of the county is 16,313, a growth of 3,962 since the national census of 1880.
May 27—Married, at Carroll, May 27, Dr. A. L. Wright and Miss Addle Hoover.
June 17—C. C. Colclo has been appointed postmaster at Carroll to succeed E. R. Hastings.
June 24—During a visit to Carroll Bishop Hennessey announced that a division would be made of the Catholic parish of Carroll and P. M. Guthrie and J. W. Bohnenkamp appointed to make an equitable division of the property between the Irish and American element of the congregation and the German element.
July 15—The hotel formerly known as the Commercial house, renovated and overhauled, is thrown open under the name of the Lynch house, Wm. Lynch, Jr., landlord.
July 15—Died, G. I. Thompson; last fall elected a member of the Board of Supervisors, at Sioux City, of consumption.
July 28—Died, E. F. Burgan, aged 80 years, at his home west of Carroll. Mr. Burgan has been a resident of Carroll county since 1869.
August 14—The democratic convention made the following nominations: Representative, J. B. Graham; treasurer, Peter Berger; auditor, F. M. Leibfried; sheriff, J. W. Kennebeck; superintendent of schools, W. J. Heires; supervisors, S. Bowman, V. Roush. The convention was deeply shaken by a resolution declaring against a third term of office. After a violent debate the proposition was carried by a vote of 69 to 49.
August 29—John K. Deal of Carroll nominated for state senator by the district composed of Calhoun, Carroll and Greene counties at Jefferson.
September 17—The Republican county convention made nominations as follows: Representative, W. L. Culbertson; treasurer, no nomination; auditor, Richard Wolfe; sheriff, Sam Todd; superintendent of schools, H. J. Gable; coroner, R. R. Williams; surveyor, W. F. Steigerwalt; supervisor, J. W. Hobbs, Cyrus Rhoads.
October 7—Died, at Carroll, Dr. John W. Gustine, aged 63 years. Located in Guthrie county in 1861, and practiced among the early settlers of Carroll county. Moved to Carroll in 1875, retiring to his farm near Carrollton in 1879. Moved to Florida in 1883, where his wife died. Dr. Gustine returned to Carroll in 1885. He was buried under the auspices of Signet Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of which organization he was a Past Master and member at the time of his death.
October 25—Henry M. Olerich died at his home at Breda in the 65th year of his age. Born in Nordeweld, Germany; came to this country in 1848 and to Iowa and Carroll county in 1869, settling in Kniest township. Mr. Olerich was the first to put up a building and begin business in Breda, where he opened a hardware store at the time the Maple river branch was built through.
November 3—In the general election the democrats carried the county on the state ticket by a plurality of 406. F. L. Danforth for the state senate, in opposition to John K. Deal, received a majority of 181, which is overcome by a majority of 574 in Calhoun county, and 431 in Greene county, the majoirty by which Mr. Deal is elected being 824. W. L. Culbertson (Rep.) is elected over J. B. Graham (Dem.) for representative by a majority of 154, and republican county officers were elected as follows: Sheriff, Sam Todd (130); H. J. Gable, superintendent of schools, (499); surveyor, W. F. Steigerwalt (38); Dr. R. R. Williams, coroner (145). The Democrats elect Peter Berger, treasurer (no opposition); F. M. Leibfried, auditor, (425); supervisor, S. Bowman, (754); V. Roush, (no opposition.)
The proposition to authorize a bonded indebtedness of $50,000 for the building of a new court house was lost by 209 votes. Because of the unsatisfactory and mixed condition of the returns, however, the board of supervisors ordered a special election to be held Tuesday, December 8th, for the resubmission of the question.
December 8—The court house proposition was defeated by 38 votes.
January 6—A snow storm and blizzard of a severity not known in many years set in on the 3d inst., continuing three days, snow falling to a depth of three feet on the level, and drifting in many places to the height of ten feet. All trains were delayed from ten to thirty-six hours, after the first day of the storm, and, on the branch lines north and south from Carroll all effort to move traffic was abandoned. The temperature, however, was not severely cold.
January 13—The first blizzard had scarcely subsided when another set in on the 6th inst. Snow fell until the 9th but not in such quantities as last week, but intense cold accompanied the storm, the mercury falling from twenty-two on the 7th to thirty-four on the 9th. Heavy winds drifted the railroad cuts into impassable barriers. A passenger train was ordered on Thursday to remain at Carroll until the road could be opened, and did not resume its journey until Saturday. The work of shoveling out the cuts was prosecuted with great difficulty on account of the intense cold. Although gallant efforts were made to keep the road open by "bucking" the drifts with snow plows. The engines engaged in this work "died" one after another until, on the 8th inst., eleven engines were lying dead in the cuts between Carroll and Scranton and seven between Carroll and Glidden. The Heath & Milligan minstrels were on the abandoned train and concerts were improvised on the train and at the halls to entertain themselves and the beleaguered citizens. No mails were received or dispatched between the 7th and 12th insts. and business was entirely suspended during this period.
March 1—At Carroll occurred the quietest city election in many years, with the following result: Mayor, E. M. Parsons; recorder, F. A. Suydam; assessor, Henry Marnette; councilmen, A. W. Crawford, J. M. Drees.
At Glidden the vote on mayor was a tie between Jas. Lea and S. C. Dunkle, each having 62 votes. The contest was decided in favor of Dunkle by drawing lots.
April 8—At 12 o'clock midnight the Carroll county court house was discovered ablaze, with the fire making vigorous headway in the upper rooms. An hour later the fire was out, with the destruction confined to the second story except for the damage that came from water to the floors below. The vaults were not destroyed and the county records were recovered intact. A heavy odor of kerosene at the outset of the fire indicated the origin of the loss. The board of supervisors provided temporary quarters for the county offices in the Joyce building. Drees' Music Hall will be used for the court room.
April 14—A powerful tornado devastated a large section of country in Cass and Audubon counties, but Coon Rapids was the only town in Carroll county in the direct path of the storm. Warning of the approach was given by the appearance five miles south of an immense copper-colored cloud with a dangling column communicating with the earth and swinging violently in the wake of the rapidly moving canopy overhead. In crossing the C. M. & St. P. track the storm caught a moving freight train of twenty cars, all heavily loaded. Sixteen were blown from the track and left in a greater or less degree of wreckage. The residence of J. W. Stuckenbrick was first struck but with little damage. The adjoining wagon shop of H. Wallace was torn to pieces. The Enterprise office was unroofed and the glass front wrecked. The Cook warehouse was entirely demolished. From this point the storm passed to the residence district, where the destruction was wholesale and general. Thirty-two buildings were either blown away or badly damaged, many swept clear of their foundations and blown to atoms. But two persons were injured, the Roygos boys, who were doing janitor work at the schoolhouse. One of the boys was so badly injured that he died at once. The other was not seriously hurt. The building was a total wreck. The loss at Coon Rapids is placed at $50,000, not including the damage to railroad property, which was heavy.
June 23—The supreme court hands down a decision in the case of Carroll county against the bondsmen of the defaulting county treasurer, W. R. Ruggles sustaining the plaintiff on every point. The bondsmen have no further recourse.
June 24—John A. Hoffman, of Roselle, buys the J. A. Hinman store at Mt. Carmel.
June 30—J. B. Hungerford purchases the interest of E. R. Hastings in the Carroll Herald, now published by Maclean & Hungerford.
August 10—Died, at his home in Carroll, aged 84, R. K. Town. Mr. Town was a resident of Carroll since 1874.
August 17—Democratic judicial convention at Carroll placed in nomination for judges of the district court Charles D. Goldsmith of Sac county and I. J. McDuffie of Greene county.
August 25—The Democratic county convention nominated the following ticket: Clerk, J. N. Powers; recorder, J. H. Bruning; county attorney, J. C. Engleman. An effort was made to defeat the third term rule, but the resolution was defeated 34 to 63.
August 25—The Western Iowa Veterans' Association began its annual reunion at Carroll. Twelve hundred veterans from Calhoun, Ida, Sac, Greene, Audubon, Shelby, Harrison, Guthrie, Boone and other counties are present and the meeting continued three days. On the camp ground west of town 158 tents are sheltering the soldiers.
August 28—Rev. P. Fox, of Sac City, dedicated the new Episcopal church at Carroll.
September 8—The damage claims of M. A. Hoyt against the city of Carroll for the removal by the latter of the wooden building erected by Hoyt after the fire of 1879 outside of the fire limits were settled in their last phase by the compromise of a suit in which the city will pay Mrs. S. A. Hoyt $500 with the understanding that the arrangement shall be final. In costs and judgments the Hoyt suits have cost the city $12,000.
October 1—The republican county convention made the following nominations: clerk, no nomination; recorder, C. H. Heitz; county attorney, L. W. Morgan; supervisors, N. D. Smith, Herman Tank.
October 6—The gap on the Maple river branch between Mapleton and Onawa is completed.
October 27—Died, at his home in Carroll, Eugene R. Hastings, after an illness of four years of diabetes. Mr. Hastings was born July 27, 1848, in Licking county, Ohio, and died at the age of 38 years and three months. In 1870 in company with O. H. Manning he became the editor of the Carroll Herald. He soon bought the Manning interest and continued his connection with the paper, though not all of the time as its owner, until June of the present year. In 1883 Mr. Hastings disposed of the paper to Paul Maclean, from whom he secured back a half interest under a lease which arrangement continued until last June. Mr. Hastings was one of the strongest journalists of Iowa, and a fit contemporary for "Ret" Clarkson, "Sam" Clark, Frank Hatton, George D. Perkins, and the coterie of brilliant newspaper men who gave the press of the state distinction in the seventies and eighties. Mr. Hastings had no superior among the weekly editors of his time. His closing years were a period of great suffering but his intellectual powers refused to weaken as his bodily strength gave way and some of his best work was done after he was himself convinced that his days were numbered and after his mind had acquiesced in the inevitable.
[Note—Edward, the only son of Mr. Hastings, is pastor at the present time of the Presbyterian church at Fort Dodge. Mrs. Hastings is still living and resides at Fort Dodge.]
November 1—At the general election the entire Democratic county ticket was elected as follows: Clerk, J. N. Powers; recorder, J. H. Brunning; county attorney, J. C. Engleman; supervisors, J. B. Graham, J. W. Walsh. The Democratic majority on the state ticket was 635. A proposition for a bond issue of $40,000 to build a new courthouse was submitted and acquiesced in by the voters by the following vote: For a new courthouse, 1,885; against a new courthouse, 944; or a majority in favor of the proposition of 941.
February 2—From the official proceedings of the Board of Supervisors:
"After due deliberation and consultation with J. C. Cochrane, architect, the board of supervisors, on motion, awarded the contract for the building of the courthouse to R. S. Finkbine, for the sum of $37,766.
The following proposition from Mr. Finkbine was accepted:
"I hereby propose to furnish and set ashler in the basement of the courthouse, and set the four vault doors (the county furnishing the same) for the sum of $120 in addition to the original contract price."
February 6—The last spike in the C. M. & St. P. was driven at a point four miles north of Mapleton.
March 6—City election, Carroll: Mayor, E. M. Parsons; recorder, F. A. Suydam; assessor, Henry Marnette; councilmen, I. M. Gilley, Peter Berger.
March 16—Died at his home at Dedham, aged 50 years, Capt. Wm. S. Winnett. Captain Winnett settled in Carroll county in 1865, opening a farm on Brushy Creek, where he resided until he moved to Dedham, a few years since. He was prominent in politics in the early days, and was the first "reformer" elected to the board of supervisors when the county was still in the hands of the early buccaneers. His activity was a strong influence in ending the regime of plunder. Capt. Winnett served through the war as captain of C company of Kilpatric's famous Ninth Ohio cavalry. After his removal to Dedham he engaged in the mercantile business in which he met with reverses, and to this his early death was partly due. As county surveyor Captain Winnett laid out the cemetery at Carroll.
March 25—The first spade of earth for the excavation of the court house was thrown out.
April 2—Died, at the residence of the parish priest at Hillsdale, Rev. Father Wegmann. Father Wegmann was born in Prussia in 1844 and was educated for the priesthood in Germany. He came to Carroll county in 1875 and first served as pastor at Mt. Carmel. He was placed in charge of the parish at Hillsdale in 1888. Father Wegmann's death was caused by a revolver wound arising from a premature explosion of the weapon.
April 11—The Carroll Driving Park association organized with the following incorporators: J. R. Whitney, A. L. Wright, G. W. Wattles, V. Hinrichs, E. M. Parsons. Officers—President, A. W. Crawford; vice president, Chas. Neu; secretary, O. A. Kentner; treasurer, R. E. Coburn; directors, C. T. Whitman, P. M. Guthrie, A. L. Wright, V. Hinrichs, M. Miller.
A block of ground of 64 acres just east of the Catholic cemetery has been bought by the association, 34 acres of which will be reserved for the track, and the other thirty sold. The price paid was $25 per acre.
May 18—Coon Rapids is for the first time in her history free from saloons, and is the only town in the county, large or small, of which the same may be said.
June 24—The new jail is completed and ready to be turned over to the county authorities.
August 3—Charles Aldrich is the first inmate. He was working on the farm of A. Zumback, near Glidden, and was discharged, when he went to Carroll and bought a bill of goods at a harness store which he had charged to his late employer. Aldrich was tried before Justice Drees for obtaining goods under false pretenses and bound over to the grand jury.
August 13—A union labor convention nominated a full county ticket, as follows: Representative, A. J. Baird; treasurer, J. S. Dickey; auditor, F. M. Howard; sheriff, Sam Todd; superintendent of schools, S. L. Tipton; coroner, L. R. Stole; surveyor, W. F. Steigerwalt; supervisors, Philip Barnholz, H. T. Watson. The convention was a mass affair and but five townships—Carroll, Grant, Glidden, Kniest and Richland—were represented by regularly chosen delegates. On the Richland delegation were three women, who were admitted to all of the privileges by a special vote.
August 23—The first meeting of the Carroll Driving Park association was a success financially and as a sporting event, Edgewood, in the 2.27 trot, established a track of 2.28 1/2.
The democratic county convention nominated the following ticket: Representative, O. Horton; treasurer, Peter Berger; sheriff, John W. Kennebeck; superintendent of schools, F. A. Suydam; coroner, J. J. Deshler; surveyor, Anton Roush; supervisors, V. Bruch, H. B. Hazelton.
September 12—In response to a general petition signed by citizens and property owners the council perfected arrangements with V. Hinrichs by which Carroll is to be lighted by electricity, the city to pay an annual rental of $350 for public lighting.
September 21—Died, Rev. John B. Fendrick, pastor St. Paul's Catholic church, after a term of sickness caused by a sun stroke a year ago. Deceased was born in Wastphalia, Prussia, and was 63 years of age. Father Fendrick was ordained after coming to America in 1852. In 1877 he was appointed to the pastorate of Mt. Cannel parish. On his return from a trip to Europe in 1879 he was delegated to serve the Arcadia parish, which office he filled until the division of the parish at Carroll, when he was placed in charge of the German congregation.
September 22—The republican county convention nominated a ticket as follows: Representative, W. L. Culbertson; auditor, F. M. Howard; treasurer, J. H. Dickey; sheriff, Sam Todd; county superintendent, Henry Olerich; supervisors, Peter Thein, Gotleib von Glan.
September 28—J. W. Lindsay, of Manning, was indicted by the grand jury for "having appeared in court as an attorney in violation of law." The court exonerated Lindsay on the ground that, not being admitted to the bar he was not a lawyer and consequently not amenable to the statute forbidding a peace officer to appear as an attorney—Lindsay being the town constable.
October 10—Died, Henry J. Gabel, superintendent of schools, at his home at Arcadia, aged 28. He was born in Le Claire, Scott county. After his graduation at Ames—he completed the four years' course in two years—he came to Carroll county in 1883 as teacher of the Arcadia schools. His death was the result of typhoid fever.
November 8—The entire democratic county ticket elected with majorities ranging from 194 for Horton over Culbertson to 700 for Peter Berger for treasurer. A. J. Baird, union labor candidate for representative, received 148 votes. Kennebeck's majority was 289; Kraus', 408; Suydam's, 585; democratic majority on the state ticket, 560.
November 16—County Superintendent Heires' annual report: Ungraded schools in the county, 128, teachers employed 232, number of school age, males 3,116, females 2,826—total 5,287; enrollment 5,287; value of school property, $109,425. The lowest salaries in the county are in Richland township, where women teachers were paid $17.54 per month.
November 28.—The board of supervisors convened to confer with Architect Cochran and make an inspection of the courthouse prior to its acceptance from the contractor, R. S. Finkbine. The following action was taken. On the recommendation of the architect, and the board themselves being satisfied that the contractor had completed the courthouse according to contract, the same was on motion accepted, and the auditor instruced to draw warrant for balance due R. S. Finkbine, $7,584.65.
The county offices will be transferred to the new building at once.
The Carroll Herald (rep.), commenting on the new public building, all of the members of the board being democratic, says: "No action of theirs (the board's) is open to suspicion—they have kept within the limits of the original appropriation and the result of the supervision is one of the best buildings of the kind in the state and by all odds the cheapest."
The members of the board are: J. B. Graham, S. Bowman, J. D. Walsh.
November 26—A dispatch from Atlantic announces the death of Charles L. Aumiller, widely known in Carroll as "Monkey Charley," a tramp who for many years has returned periodically to the town and on these occasions is taken in by W. T. Minchen and given employment suitable to his condition. Aumiller was a private in the 147th Pa. Infantry and contracted diseases from hardships and exposure in the service which gave his face an expression from which he took the name of "Monkey Charley." Aumiller was as honest as he was eccentric and peculiar and would accept nothing in charity. He was probably known to every man, woman and child in the county.
December 23—Judge Conner issued thirty-one injunctions against that number of Carroll county saloons, and four permits, held by wholesale houses, are by the same order revoked. Thus prohibition is extended to all parts of the county. The famous Fourth street of Carroll is under lock and key from end to end.
January 8—The board of supervisors refused to grant permits for the wholesale liquor business in the county.
January 15—A temperature of 40 below zero, marked by the thermometer at 4:30 A. M. Sunday of the date above written, is the lowest mark the mercury has reached so far as any record is known. The storm began on the 13th with heavy snow and wind. Friday the thermometer was 28 below and continued to fall until the low point was reached.
January 23—Died, A. E. Smith, at his home in Carroll, aged 47, of blood poisoning originating from a diseased tooth. He became a citizen of Carroll county in 1869 and of late years was engaged in grain and lumber business.
March 5—The Carroll city election gives these results: Mayor, Frank M. Powers; recorder, James Thompson; assessor, Henry Marnette; councilmen, C. H. Heitz, John Nestle, J. C. Delaney.
March 14—The controversy arising in the division of the Catholic parish of Carroll, represented in the suit of Arts et al vs. Guthrie et al, is decided by the supreme court in favor of the plaintiff and judgment of $3,400 affirmed.
March 16—Died, Mrs. Julia A. Todd, at her home in Carroll, aged seventy years. Mrs. Todd with her husband, Jeremiah Todd, became a resident of Carroll county in 1875, settling at Hillsdale, in Roselle township.
April 11—Died, Mrs. John L. Messersmith, of heart disease, aged thirty-five, fourteen years of which were spent in Carroll county.
April 14—Died, at his home in Templeton, W. A. Overmire, founder of the town of Templeton and former member of the board of supervisors, by suicide while temporarily insane from brooding over business reverses. Mr. Overmire was forty-three years of age and had resided in this county fifteen years.
May—Since the closing of the saloons in Carroll many holes-in-the-wall have sprung up from which drinks are dispensed to the full measure of the business done on Fourth street in its palmiest days. Engaged in this traffic are several shanties built on skids to which a team can be attached and the buildings transported from place to place as the needs of the owners require in dodging injunctions, which are of no value unless the fines inflicted can be made a lien against property. Booze is also sold from stables and outbuildings and these depots are scattered all over town and are known only to the initiated. A profitable business is also done by boot-leggers, who carry their stock on their person and peddle it out in bottles or by the drink. An alley running north from Fifth street, in the business center of town, has been converted into a nesting place for blind tigers. Drinks are dispensed at these places through a solid petition in which there is a small aperture closed by a wicket. The customer nominates the pizen desired and deposits the price for the same on a shelf in front of the wicket, where the silver is quickly converted into Dutch cocktails or rattle snake by a sleight-of-hand that does not expose to sight the ministering angel behind the barricade. The city treasury is on the point of collapse from the loss of the revenues drawn from saloon licenses, and at the same time the liquor traffic, instead of being abolished, seems to have been many times augmented and its evils increased by the vicious hands into which it has fallen. The only thing necessary to get any kind of a drink desired (except pure beer and whiskey) is a thirst.
May 9—The Carroll city ordinance imposing a license on transient peddlers and merchants is set aside in a decision by Judge Conner in behalf of one T. C. Creed, an itinerant slop-shop dealer.
May 16—Two car loads of beer have been received at Carroll to be sold in the "original package."
May 23—The Rochester Loan & Trust company with $100,000 of paid up capital, organized at Rochester, N. H., with Sumner Wallace as president and G. W. Wattles as managing director, the western office of the company to be established at Carroll.
June 21—Died, Warren J. Patterson of Bright's disease, aged 41; president of the Carroll County bank from 1882-1887.
July 18—Died, Elihu Hilles, aged 74, first settler of Washington township.
August 11—Died, at his home at Glidden, Benjamin Ferguson, aged 79 years; resident of Glidden township thirteen years.
August 20—Congressional convention of the Tenth district at Webster City nominated Johnathan Prentis Dolliver on the sixteenth ballot. J. P. Conner of Denison on the eleventh ballot received within four votes of the number necessary to nominate, and on another ballot, Major Holmes, the incumbent, was but one vote short of a nomination. B. I. Salinger of Carroll county was chairman of the convention.
August 22—Democratic county convention nominated—representative. Oliver Horton; auditor, F. W. Krause; treasurer, W. Kennebeck; recorder, J. H. Brunning; county attorney, J. C. Engelman; supervisors, Samuel Bowman, G. von Glan.
September 19—Republican county convention nominated—clerk, O. G. Frill; recorder, C. H. Heitz; county attorney, Geo. W. Paine; supervisors, James Mattison, Robt. Dixon.
October 10—Joint debate between J. P. Dolliver and Captain J. O. Yeomans, rival candidates for congress at the courthouse, being Dolliver's first appearance in Carroll and the manner in which he acquitted himself was superb. Captain Yeoman was strong, but no match for him.
November 5—General election, presidential vote in Carroll county: Cleveland, 2,052; Harrison, 1,593—Cleveland's majority, 459. Yeoman's majority, 476. Entire democratic county ticket elected, with the exception of C. H. Heitz, (rep.) whose majority for recorder is 156.
December 8—The preliminary trial of James Molseed of Vail for the murder of Wm. Hunter at Arcadia before Justice J. M. Drees results in holding the defendant to the grand jury under bonds of $5,000 for murder in the second degree. Molseed is a Crawford county constable and Hunter was a saloon keeper at Vail until ten days before the shooting, when, under a jail sentence for maintaining a nuisance, he closed his place and moved to Arcadia, where he resumed business as a saloon keeper. Molseed served papers of arrest on Hunter at Arcadia and Hunter agreed to accompany him to Denison to serve his sentence, when he asked and was given the privilege of saying good bye to his family. He failed to return as was agreed. Later Molseed discovered Hunter at the station. When the latter saw the officer he started to run and paid no attention to a command to halt. A shot followed, striking Hunter in the head and penetrating the brain.
February 26—The city council of Carroll passed an order exempting from taxation the building proposed to be erected for the Letts-Fletcher Grocery company for a term of five years.
March 4—F. M. Powers elected mayor of Carroll without opposition; as were James Thompson, recorder; J. P. Hess, treasurer; J. C. Delaney, R. E. Coburn, Geo. Selzer, councilmen.
March 6—James Molseed, after trial at Jefferson on a change of venue from Carroll county, is acquitted.
May 1—J. B. Hungerford becomes postmaster at Carroll, succeeding C. C. Colclo.
May 15—The county jail has housed no prisoners since the first of the year.
May 22—Carroll school district bonded indebtedness, $13,500; Carroll municipal bonded debt $13,500—total $27,000. Cash on hand (consolidated) $5,764.75. Net indebtedness (consolidated) $21,235.25.
May 29—E. M. Betzer removes from Carroll to Spirit Lake, where he will engage in the practice of law.
July 2—Died, at Coon Rapids, aged 81 years, Wm. Minnich, founder of the original town of Coon Rapids in 1856.
July 10—The Lefts-Fletcher Wholesale Grocery company at Carroll consigned its first bill of goods.
September 5—Died, at Glidden, Samuel Campbell, aged 63 years; settled in Glidden township on a farm in 1869. He was a charter member of N. P. Wright Post, 261, G. A. R.
September 16—Wm. Eike was shot and mortally wounded by M. H. Ish, railroad agent at Halbur. A young fellow by the name of Meisel sought a quarrel with Ish in the afternoon and threatened him with a shotgun and continued to menace him for several hours. Ish took refuge in the station and locked and barred the door. The assailant went away after dark but Ish became alarmed at a noise near the platform and shot his revolver in the direction from which the sound came. The shot struck Eike in the middle of the forehead, and he died at once. The two were warm friends. Eike was at the station looking after cars in which he was to ship grain the next day.
September 11—The democratic county convention nominated—representative, O. Horton; auditor, F. W. Krause; treasurer, J. C. Delaney; sheriff, J. M. Kennebeck; superintendent of schools, C. C. Colclo; surveyor, Anton Brush; coroner, J. J. Deshler; supervisors, J. D. Walsh, Wm. Morgan.
October 2—A cause celebre known as the Upton-Hoyt case is settled by compromise. M. A. Hoyt was first sued by the Upton Manufacturing Co. in 1876. The amount originally sued for was $3,000, but in the course of the litigation that amount was many times exceeded by the costs. Hoyt was invariably defeated on trial but by the terms of the final compromise the Uptons pay the costs of the pending suit and dismiss all claims.
October 2—The senatorial convention for the nomination of a senator in the counties of Carroll, Sac and Greene convened at Creston, and Z. A. Church of Jefferson was the choice of the delegates to succeed Hon. John K. Deal after a tenure by the latter of one term. The nomination was the result of a combination between Sac and Greene delegations considered by the republicans of Carroll county to be grossly unfair not only because of the undeserved and unjust slight to Senator Deal but for the further reason that Greene county was favored by Sac for a stated political consideration.
October 10—The democratic senatorial convention met at Carroll and placed in nomination Thomas Rich of Carroll county.
October 25—Died, at his home in Carroll of tuberculosis, Edwin J. Adams, at the time of his death of the Carroll Sentinel. Mr. Adams was at one time city editor of the Des Moines Register. He was a brilliant and popular newspaper man. Some years before his connection with the Sentinel Mr. Adams was connected with the Herald.
October 30—The republicans nominated the following county ticket: Representative, A. H. Brugemann; treasurer, H. M. Gabriel; auditor, W. H. Reed; sheriff, Thomas Davis; superintendent, Howard Shutes; coroner, Dr. Henry; supervisors, J. J. Graves, Dwight Noble.
November 5—On the state ticket Boies (democrat) receives a majority over Hutchinson (republican) of 1,083. The entire democratic county ticket is elected by majorities ranging from 882 for Horton to 1,056 for Colclo.
Z. A. Church (republican) for senator was defeated by Thomas Rich (democrat) by 488 votes. Sac gave Church a majority of 323; Greene, 642—total 965. Carroll county gave Rich a majority of 1453.
December 4—The work of enlarging and beautifying the Baptist church is completed and that congregation now possesses the best assembly room in Carroll.
December 22—Died at his home at Spirit Lake, John Silbaugh, aged 48 years. Mr. Silbaugh was an early settler of Carroll and served as sheriff after the removal of L. Bechler.
Presbyterian Church St. Peter & Paul Catholic Church
Church of God Episcopal Church
Baptist Church & Public Library Lutheran Church
St. Joseph's Catholic Church First M. E. Church
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.