If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
VOLUME I ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912
Digitized for Microsoft Corporation
by the Internet Archive in 2008.
From New York Public Library. May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.
Transcribed and donated by Vance Tigges.
THE WHEATLAND TOWNSHIP GERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
the extreme northwest corner of Carroll county, only a short distance
from the Crawford county and also from the Sac county lines, we find
a church building, which has been a landmark of this part of the
county for many years. It is the church of the German Presbyterian
congregation of Wheatland township. Amongst the first settlers of
this part of the county were H. F. Garrels, G. von Glan, R. Freese,
R. Ohden, R. Wessels, G. Janssen, John Flink and others, most of
these having arrived here in 1874. Some of them came from Illinois,
the others came from Grundy county and Butler county, Iowa. Rev. E.
A. Elfeld, from Freeport, Illinois, and other ministers of the gospel
had preached here at different times and, in the spring of 1877, a
Presbyterian church was organized here by the presbytery of Ft.
Dodge. The congregation resolved to erect a church building, for
which the people, although all of them in moderate circumstances,
contributed to the best of their ability. The building was to cost
only one thousand, six hundred dollars, but it was impossible to
collect such an amount of money here and it was only through the
kindness of friends in the east and the financial assistance of the
Presbyterian Board of Church Erection, which gave four hundred
dollars, that the erection of the church was made possible. The
church was dedicated on the 17th day of February, 1878. The site for
the church and also a five acre tract of land were donated by Mr. G.
von Glan, on whose original one hundred and sixty acre farm the
building was erected.
During the summer of 1878, Rev. L. Huendling, then still a student for the ministry in the McCormick Seminary of Chicago, was asked to supply the church and, in the spring of 1879, a pastoral call was extended to him. This call was accepted and after his ordination in the spring of 1879, he became the pastor of the church. With the exception of two years, spent as instructor in the seminary in Dubuque, Iowa, Rev. Huendling has served the church as pastor until the present day. He is, without doubt, in length of service, the oldest pastor in Carroll county. The church has never had another pastor and the pastor has never had another church. For many years the field of labor was a large one, extending from four or five miles north of West Side in Crawford county, through Carroll county, to where the town of Ulmer, in Sac county, is now situated. Later the field was divided and is now served by three pastors in three churches. In 1898 the church was enlarged and remodeled, and, although not very large, it presents a neat appearance; in 1903, a fine pipe organ was installed. The amount donated by the Board of Church Erection has been repaid voluntarily, in order that other needy churches in the west might have the benefit of the money. About fifty families are connected with the congregation. Mr. G. von Glan has served the church in the offices of deacon and treasurer from the organization of the church to the present day. When the general assembly of the Presbyterian church authorized the erection of German presbyteries, the church became connected with the Presbytery of George, of which presbytery the pastor of the church has been stated clerk and treasurer since its erection.
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.