If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
VOLUME II ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912
Digitized for Microsoft Corporation
by the Internet Archive in 2008. From New York Public Library.
May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.
Transcribed and donated by Vance Tigges & Kathy Weaver.
FRANCIS WILLIAM ANDERSON *pages 171 & 172*
Page 171 Francis William Anderson
Page 172 Francis William Anderson
Francis William Anderson Text File
Francis William Anderson, a representative and progressive agriculturist of Carroll county, makes his home on section 6, Union township. His birth occurred in Benton county, Iowa, on the 1st of September, 1865, his parents being David and Phoebe (Haynes) Anderson, both of whom were natives of Ohio. His paternal grandfather, Samuel Anderson, was likewise born in the Buckeye state and came of German ancestry. By occupation he was a farmer. He wedded Miss Matilda Cutchall and they became early settlers of Benton county, Iowa, there passing away when well advanced in years. Their children were fifteen in number, namely: James, Matilda. William, Marion, David, Robert, Lewis, George, Samuel, Mary, Sarah, Caroline, Rebecca, Jane and Bertha, Joseph and Sarah (Minor) Haynes the maternal grandparents of our subject, were also early settlers of Benton county. Iowa. Their children were as follows : Dennis, Charles. Hiram, Phoebe, Alma and Mary. Both the father and mother of Francis W. Anderson were numbered among the early settlers of Benton county, Iowa, where their marriage was celebrated in 1857. David Anderson, who was a carpenter by trade. passed away in that county in 1902, when sixty-six years of age. His wife died in early womanhood, her demise occurring in 1867.
Francis W. Anderson was reared in the home of his paternal grandmother in Benton county, Iowa, having lost his mother when but two years of age. He attended the district and public schools in the acquirement of an education and when nine years old removed to Blairstown, where he remained until a youth of twelve. At that early age he began working by the month as a farm hand, being thus employed for a period of twelve years. General agricultural pursuits have claimed his attention throughout his entire business career and he is now the owner of a fine farm of over two hundred acres on section 6, Union township, annually gathering rich crops which find a ready sale on the market.
Mr. Anderson has been married twice. On the 4th of March, 1887, he wedded Miss Anna Sharp, a daughter of Rev. John and Amanda Sharp. She died a year later, however, and on the 19th of November, 1890, Mr. Anderson was again married, his second union being with Miss Cora Davis, a native of Union township, this county, and a daughter of Squire Armstrong and Catharine A. (Morris) Davis, who are mentioned at greater length on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson now have two children, Roy A. and Lina M.
In politics Mr.
Anderson is a republican, loyally supporting the men and measures of
that party. For a number of terms he served as a school director.
Fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America,
while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the
United Brethren church, to which his wife also belongs. Mr. Anderson
is a member of the building committee which is at present erecting a
new house of worship. At all times his life has been active, useful
and honorable and it is his genuine personal worth that has gained
for him the favorable position which he occupies in the regard of
those who know him.
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.