If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
VOLUME II ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912
Digitized for Microsoft Corporation
by the Internet Archive in 2008. From New York Public Library.
May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.
Transcribed and donated by Vance Tigges & Kathy Weaver.
D. W. EARL *pages 303 & 304*
An excellent farming property of Carroll county is the two hundred and eighty acre tract on section 10 of Sheridan township belonging to D. W. Earl. He was born in Rutland county, Vermont, on the 9th of October, 1837, his parents being Lawson and Rhoda (Barber) Earl, the father a native of Massachusetts and the mother of Vermont. Mr. Earl accompanied by his wife and family migrated to the west in 1845, locating in De Kalb, Illinois, which at that time contained but two houses. There the father died two years later, the mother, however, survived until 1880, her demise occurring in Carroll county. Ten children were born to them, all of whom are deceased with the exception of our subject. The order of their birth was as follows: William Elliott, who passed away in 1847; Emiline; Harriet; Susan; William D.; John B.; Phoebe O.; Silas Newton and John T.
D. W. Earl, who was only a lad of eight years when his parents left Vermont, received the greater portion of his education in the common schools of De Kalb. After laying aside his school books, he continued a member of his mother's household until he had attained his majority, following which he engaged in farming in De Kalb township, De Kalb county. He continued to be identified with agricultural pursuits coming from Illinois to Iowa in 1870. Settling in Carroll county he acquired two hundred and eighty acres of unimproved land in Sheridan township, which he immediately began to improve and cultivate. This farm, which was unbroken prairie when he first located on it, Mr. Earl has improved and brought to a high state of cultivation, and it is now considered one of the valuable properties of the county.
Mr. Earl was married in De Kalb, Illinois, January 23, 1878, to Miss Edna Hunt, and they have become the parents of two children. The eldest, Edith, was married March 14, 1900, to B. J. Bradley and has two sons: Clyde, born May 12, 1903 ; and Guy, born July 5, 1908. Clara was married March 25, 1903, to S. G. Staples and they also have two sons: Clifford, born October 17, 1903; and Wilbur, born April 6, 1906. Mr. Staples is a native of Illinois, his birth occurring in Watseka, November 11, 1878. His paternal grandparents were Sylvester G. and Mary (Barber) Staples, the Barber family having come to America with the Huguenot colony. His parents, W. A. and Isabella (Wilson) Staples, were natives of New York state and Middle Fork, Illinois, respectively. They came to Iowa in 1900 and located in Carroll county, the father taking up farming in Sheridan township, where they still reside. In their family are three sons, S. G. being the eldest. S. W. lives two miles south of Lidderdale, while H. B. makes his home in Sheridan township. S. G. Staples and family attend the Presbyterian church and he is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. Both sons-in-law of our subject reside on his farm in Sheridan township and are engaged in its cultivation.
Mr. Earl cast his first ballot in support of Abraham Lincoln, and has ever since given his support to the candidates of that party. He served for three years as county supervisor and has also been treasurer and director of the school board at various times. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order only, having joined in De Kalb, Illinois, in 1863, his membership still being retained in that lodge; he also belongs to the chapter at Lake City. Mr. Earl has met with success in his undertakings and is a highly esteemed and substantial citizen of Sheridan township.
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.