If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY IOWA
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
VOLUME II ILLUSTRATED
CHICAGO THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY 1912
Digitized for Microsoft Corporation
by the Internet Archive in 2008. From New York Public Library.
May be used for non-commercial, personal, research, or education purposes, or any fair use.
May not be indexed in a commercial service.
Transcribed and donated by Vance Tigges & Kathy Weaver.
FRANK HOFFMAN *pages 31 & 32*
Frank Hoffman, busily engaged in the pursuits of farming and stock raising, is the owner of a well improved and productive tract of land comprising one hundred and sixty acres on section 28, Eden township. His birth occurred in Chicago, Illinois, on the 12th of November, 1858, his parents being Anton and Catherine (Ploederl) Hoffman, both of whom were natives of Bavaria, Germany. The father's birth occurred in February, 1830, while the mother was born on the 27th of January, 1826. Anton Hoffman emigrated to the United States in 1850, and Catherine Ploederl crossed the Atlantic the following year. Their marriage was celebrated in Chicago, Illinois. For a period of twenty-six or twenty-seven years Mr. Hoffman was there employed as yard man by the Singer & Talcott Stone Company, In 1879 he came to Carroll county, Iowa, spending the remainder of his life on a farm in Eden township. While a resident of the fatherland he had also been engaged in farming. His demise occurred on the 18th of May, 1908, while his wife had been called to her final rest on the 3d of the same month. Mr. Hoffman gave his political allegiance to the democracy and was a faithful communicant of the German Catholic church at Templeton, Iowa.
Frank Hoffman obtained his education in the grammar and high schools of Chicago and is a graduate of St. Michael's school. After putting aside his text-books he spent three years in the employ of the McCormick Wood Moulding & Building Company of Chicago as a shipping clerk. In July, 1877, he came to Carroll county, Iowa, with his older brother, John, settling on a farm near Carroll. It was in 1880 that he took up his abode on the farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Eden township which has remained his home to the present time. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he raises Duroc Jersey hogs and at one time fed cattle for the market. His farm is well improved in every particular and its neat and thrifty appearance testifies to the supervision of a practical and progressive owner.
In the spring of 1880 Mr. Hoffman wedded Miss Mary Kollmansperger, a daughter of Andrew Kollmansperger, now deceased, who was a blacksmith of Hardin county, Iowa. Our subject and his wife are the parents of ten children. Elizabeth, who gave her hand in marriage to John Klocke, an agriculturist of Eden township, is the mother of three sons: Frank, John and Joseph. Mary, living on a farm near Carroll, is the wife of Andrew Kirsh, by whom she has three children: Nicholas, Mary and Andrew. Johanna is the wife of Peter Siebenaller, a farmer by occupation, and has one child, Mary. The other children of Mr. Hoffman are as follows: Augusta, who joined the order of St. Dominic and is now known as Sister Merceda; Rosa and Frank, Jr., both at home; Theresa, a member of the same order as her sister Augusta and known by the name of Sister Gerarda; and Peter, Catherine and John, who are still under the parental roof.
In politics Mr. Hoffman is a democrat and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust. He held the office of township clerk for twelve years, was assessor for six years and has also served in the capacity of township supervisor and that of road master. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the German Catholic church at Templeton. His career is identified with the history of Carroll county, where he has acquired a competence and where he is an honored and respected citizen.
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.