Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.

 

 

CARROLL COUNTY HISTORY
HISTORICAL EVENTS OF IMPORTANCE AND INTEREST TO COMMUNITY OF MT. CARMEL AND SURROUNDING AREA

Transcribed by Marilu Underberg Thurman
 

1868    July 16, Arrival and choosing of site for village by Dubuque settlers, Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

 Building of Church begins.

 County store, Blacksmith shop, and wagon-maker located here.

 Father Henry J. Heimbucher, first pastor arrives.

1869    Three-room cottage built for Father Heimbucher.

 July 16, Mass offered in new Church in honor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

1874    Jan 23, Father John Kempker assumes pastoral duties at Mount Carmel.  

           Addition to Church at Mount Carmel.

 Missions established at Roselle, Arcadia, Carroll, and Sac City.

 School begun at Mount Carmel with Catholic lay teacher.

 Build Holy Angels Church at Roselle.

 Build St. John’s Church at Arcadia.

 Build St. Joseph’s Church at Carroll.

1877    October 3, the dedication of the Mount Carmel cemetery was solemnized.

1879   St. Bernard Parish is formed, and church is built at Breda.

1880    Franciscan Sisters of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, send four sisters to Mount Carmel to conduct school.

 Annunciation Parish formed and church built at Coon Rapids.

1881    New Church built at Mount Carmel.

1882    St. Mary’s Parish, Willey, established as a mission of Roselle.

1883    Church at Mount Carmel is destroyed by fire.  Cause, unknown.

 New church built same year at Mount Carmel.

 Sacred Heart Parish is formed and church is constructed at Templeton.

 A bell weighing 4,552 pounds with fixtures was installed in the belfry of the new church.

1885   Ss. Peter and Paul Parish formed at Carroll.

1891    St. Joseph Parish formed and church constructed at Dedham.

1892    Month of May, fire destroys Mount Carmel Church.  Cause:  lightning.

1893    New Church built at Mount Carmel.

1894    Mount Carmel celebrates Silver Jubilee.

1898           Sacred Heart Church at Manning gets first pastor.

1901          St. Augustine’s Parish, Halbur, is established.

1902          Diocese of Sioux City is formed.

1904          St. Francis Parish, Maple River, is established.

1906          Fire destroys Mount Carmel Parish church.  The cause is believed to be spontaneous combustion

               Of coal. 

1907          New parish church is complete at Mount Carmel.

1912           New parish school and convent are erected at Mount Carmel.  High school is introduced at this

Time.

1914           Holy Family Parish is formed at Lidderdale.

1916          St. Laurence Church is established at Carroll.

1918          Electric power is installed for parish buildings at Mount Carmel.

1919          Golden Jubilee is celebrated at Mount Carmel, July 16, Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

1944       Diamond Jubilee is celebrated at Mount Carmel, August 15, Feast of the Assumption of the            

               Virgin Mary into Heaven.

1947           Mount Carmel High School begins full four year program.

1948           First Senior Class graduates at Mount Carmel.

1949           New rectory completed at Mount Carmel.

1950           New Gym-Auditorium completed.

1958           Last class graduates from Mount Carmel High School.

High School students of Mount Carmel begin attendance at Kuemper High School in Carroll in fall.

1967           Lidderdale and Maple River parishes unite parochial schools with Mount Carmel.

1969       Centennial Jubilee, July 16, Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

 

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives