Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.

 


Biographies of Carroll County

Transcriptions by Mona Sarratt Knight  placed on this site with her permission, 27 Feb 2003.

JOSIAH CODER, the cashier of the Farmers Bank at Glidden, has for the past 10 years been associated with D. F. Everts and W. A. Kelly in the conduct of that institution. His birth occurred in Hancock county, Ohio, on the 20th of July, 1854, his parents being Samuel and Catharine (Hough) Coder, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. His paternal grandfather, John Coder, was a native of Germany who emigrated to America and settled in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania. He died in Ohio when well advanced in years. Unto him and his wife, Mrs. Mary Coder, were born quite a number of children. Andrew Hough, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and followed farming as a life work.
    Samuel Coder, the father of Josiah Coder, was successfully engaged in general agricultural pursuits throughout his active business career. He came to Carroll county, Iowa, in 1873 and settled in Sheridan township, where he purchased and improved a farm of 160 acres, continuing to reside thereon until within a year of his demise. He died at Glidden in 1894, when 68 years of age, passing away in the faith of the Methodist church, of which his widow is also a member. Unto them were born three sons and six daughters, as follows: Levi J., who is deceased; Cyrus, who is a resident of Windom, Minnesota; Mary E., who is the wife of J. H. Dickey and lives in the city of Oklahoma; Josiah, of this review; Delcena, wife of Ames Hollister of Lake City, Iowa; Hattie, the deceased wife of Howard Shutes of Minot, North Dakota; Susie M., wife of Zimri Barrett of Britt, Iowa; Lydia A., wife of Lester Hamm of Glidden, Iowa; and Sarah A. wife of J. M. Streeper who lives at Sawyer, North Dakota.
    Josiah Coder was a resident of Jones and Jackson counties of this state before coming to Carroll county in 1868. He was reared to the work of the farm and attended the district schools in the acquirement of an education. He began teaching school when a youth of 15 and taught for 21 terms of four months each, imparting clearly and readily to others the knowledge that he had acquired. On abandoning educational interests, he became a partner in the firm of Dickey & Coder, general merchants, being thus engaged in business for 14 years. Subsequently, he spent 8 years in the First National Bank of Glidden, while for the past 10 years, he has been associated with D. F. Everts and W. A. Kelly in the control of the Farmers Bank of Glidden, a private institution, which was organized in 1900 with a capital stock of $20,000. He is a courteous and popular official of the bank, and his ability is a recognized feature in its successful management. In addition to his financial interests, he owns 160 acres of land in Richland township and also has a nice home in Glidden.
    On the 18th of September 1883, Mr. Coder was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary A. Rummell, a native of Olin, Iowa, and daughter of Andrew and Margaret (Walker) Rummell, who were born in Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively. Her paternal grandfather, George P. Rummell, was a native of Pennsylvania and worked as a tanner in early manhood, subsequently becoming an agriculturist. Unto him and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Stouffer, were born the following children: Jacob, John, Andrew, George, Josiah, David and Nancy. William Walker, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Coder, was a native of Pennsylvania and a farmer by occupation. Unto him and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Eve Brubaker, were born ten children, namely: Eli, Mary, Margaret, Catharine, William, Elizabeth, Daniel, Jane, John and one who died in infancy. Andrew and Margaret (Walker) Rummell were Presbyterians in religious faith. They were the parents of 8 children: Mrs. Josiah Coder; Elizabeth J., wife of F. E. Somers; George W.; Nancy C., wife of Charles Field; Ada A. who died in infancy; Nellie V., assistant cashier at the Farmers Bank of Glidden; Frank W., who is a resident of Hale, Iowa; and Roy C., living in Olin, Iowa.
    Mr. Coder is a Republican in politics, and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to positions of public trust. He has held various township offices and served as mayor of Glidden for two years. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to Haggai Lodge No. 291, A.F.&A.M.; Copestone Chapter No. 78, R.A.M.; and Jefferson Commandery, K.T. He is also a member of Philo Lodge, No. 291, I. O. O. F. In all the relations of life he has proven himself a man of genuine worth and straightforward purposes, and his progress in business has been the direct result of energy, intelligently applied. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 206.

 

Charles Neu, proprietor of the Pioneer Liquor Store at Carroll, keeps in stock a large assortment of the best liquors, sour mash whisky, and Philip Best's beer. This business was established by the present proprietor on June 27, 1883. Mr. Neu is a native of Germany, both June 27, 1848, son of Phillip and Catherine (Rodesh) Neu. He resided in his native country until he arrived at the age of eighteen years, then immigrated to America, locating in LaSalle County, Illinois where he lived some five years. He then removed to Lake Superior, Michigan, living there about two years, then went to Colorado, where he was engaged some two years in the mines.
    He returned to Germany, remaining about three months, then came back to LaSalle County, Illinois. In 1881 he came to Carroll, where he has since resided. March 6, 1881 he was united in marriage with Mary Adelhelm of LaSalle County, and by this marriage there are three children - Phillip Charles, Caroline, and Hilda. Freddy is deceased. Politically Mr. Neu was formerly a Republican, but is now a Democrat. (END)
Source:  Biographical and Historical Record of Carroll County Iowa, (1887), page 539.

 

NICHOLAS NEU, a retired agriculturist residing at No. 914 North Court Street in Carroll, was long and successfully identified with agricultural interests and is still quite an extensive landowner of this county. He is a stockholder and director in the Carroll Trust & Savings Bank and is likewise active in the control of other business institutions. His birth occurred in Luxemburg, Germany, on the 27th of March, 1850, his parents being Philip and Kathrine (Rodesch) Neu, who were likewise natives of that country. His paternal grandfather, Philip Neu, followed farming as a life work and passed away in Germany when well advanced in years. Unto him and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Kathrina Petry, were born two sons and two daughters, namely: Philip, Theodore, Kathrina and Margaret. The maternal grandfather of our subject, who was a farmer and hotel keeper, passed away in Germany at a ripe old age. He was the father of eleven children, all deceased.
    Philip Neu, the father of Nicholas Neu, was successfully engaged in business as a farmer and stock dealer and passed away in Germany when forty-seven years of age. His wife, surviving him, emigrated to America in the early '80s and died at Templeton, Iowa, when eighty-two years of age. Both were Catholics in religious faith. They were the parents of five sons and one daughter, as follows: Peter D., who came to the United States during the Civil war and was never heard from again; Theodore, who is deceased; Margaret, the deceased wife of John Till, of Bellevue, Iowa; Charles, who has also passed away; Nicholas, of this review; and Peter, deceased.
    Nicholas Neu was reared in Luxemburg, Germany, and there acquired his education. He grew to manhood on his father's farm and became familiar with the business of stock-raising and grain buying. In the fall of 1867, having determined to establish his home on this side the Atlantic, he emigrated to the United States and settled in Troy Grove, La Salle county, Illinois, where he continued to reside until 1880. In that year he came to Carroll county, Iowa, purchasing and locating on a farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Arcadia township. He brought the fields under a high state of cultivation and improvement and extended the boundaries of the place by an additional purchase of one hundred and twenty acres. Subsequently he disposed of the property and, putting aside the active work of the fields, took up his abode in Carroll. He now owns three quarter sections in Richland township, Carroll County, and also has large tracts of land in Nebraska and South Dakota. Financial interests have also claimed his attention. He is a stockholder and director in the Carroll Trust & Savings Bank and is active in the control of other business institutions.
    On the 6th of April 1869, Mr. Neu was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Fünfsinn, who was born in Troy Grove, La Salle county, Illinois, on the 16th of November, 1851, her parents being Henry and Kathrina (Rodesch) Fünfsinn, the former a native of Prussia and the latter of Luxemburg, Germany. Emigrating to America, they settled in La Salle county, Illinois, on the 3d of March, 1850. Henry Fünfsinn there passed away in 1891, when seventy years of age, while the demise of his wife occurred in 1909, when she had attained the age of eighty-one. They were the parents of the following children: August, Peter, Mary, John, Katie, Anna, Henry, Rosa and Maggie. Mr. and Mrs. Neu have six children, namely: Katie, who is at home; Peter H., an agriculturist by occupation; Maggie Margaret, living in Carroll, who is the wife of William Heiman and has one son, Walter; Philip D., a merchant of Templeton, Iowa, who wedded Miss Agnes Dunck, who followed the profession of teaching in Carroll county for eight years and who is now the mother of two children, Harold N. and Ruth Ida; August H., living in Templeton; and Ida, who is still under the parental roof.
    In politics Mr. Neu has always been a stanch republican. He served as secretary of the school board in Arcadia township for fourteen years and while residing in Illinois held the office of tax collector. He belongs to the Roman Catholic Protective Society and is also a faithful communicant of SS. Peter and Paul's Catholic church, of which his wife is likewise a member. Coming to the United States in early manhood and wisely utilizing the opportunities offered in a land unhampered by caste or class, he has since worked his way steadily upward from a position of comparative obscurity to one of prominence and prosperity, being now numbered among the most substantial and esteemed citizens of Carroll county. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 212.


 

The life record of PETER NEU of Templeton, now deceased, is striking evidence of what may be accomplished by worthy ambition guided by clear and well defined purpose, and it would be difficult to name a citizen of Crawford county who has occupied a more honored place in the estimation of the people. He is a native of Germany, born at Dellan, Luxemburg, December 10, 1851, son of Philip and Kathrine (Rodesch) Neu. There were six children in the family of which he was a member, namely: Theodore, Herman, Charles, Nicholas, Peter and Margaret.
    Peter Neu of this review received his early education in his native town and grew up under the sheltering influence of the paternal home. As he advanced toward manhood he became actuated with the desire to take advantage of the best opportunities available and decided to seek his fortune in America. Accordingly in 1868 he crossed the ocean and took up his residence in Mendota, La Salle county, Illinois, where he worked for wages on a farm. In 1880 he came to Iowa and secured employment as clerk in the Bennett hardware store at Carroll, and later in the Efferts general merchandise store. The latter establishment being destroyed by fire he came to Templeton in 1881 and entered the general merchandise business in his own name in which he continued about twenty-seven years. He was highly successful in his business affairs and foreseeing the advance in value of land invested extensively in farms in various parts of the country. His first purchase was the Hostetter place of two hundred and eighty acres in Eden township, to which he added two hundred and forty acres and later eighty acres, thus acquiring a valuable property of six hundred acres in that locality. He also bought two hundred and eighty acres in Audubon County, one hundred and sixty acres in Winnebago county and three hundred and twenty acres in Hand county, South Dakota, thus becoming the owner of extensive holdings of valuable land, whose advance in value has fully vindicated his judgment.
    In 1880 Mr. Neu was united in marriage at Peru, Illinois, to Miss Mollie Jackley, daughter of Xavier and Mary (Schaba) Jackley. Mr. and Mrs. Jackley were the parents of ten children, namely: Willis, John, Joseph, Gustave, Henry, Fred, Tony, Emma, Mary and Louise.
    Ten children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Neu, six sons and four daughters, seven of whom are now living, namely: Louise, the wife of Frank V. Nockels of Carroll county and they have three children——John, Carl and Frank; Philip, who is now engaged in the general merchandise business at Templeton; Mary, at home; and Charles, Earl, Fred and Harold. Earl Neu was born January 2, 1894. He attended the public schools of Templeton and the high school at Carroll, thus receiving a good education, which has assisted him greatly in his contact with the world. Later he took a course in the business college at Sac City. He clerked in his father's store several years and during the last four years has made his home at Carroll.
    In 1909 Mr. Neu retired from active business but after a few months' rest visited the old scenes in Europe. His health, however, had become impaired and he returned to Iowa and on September 10, 1910, was called from earthly scenes at his daughter's house at Carroll. On the day of the funeral all business houses in Templeton closed in recognition of his worth. At the time of his death he was vice president of the Farmers Savings Bank of Templeton and president of the school board. Politically, he was allied with the Republican Party and although he was never a seeker of office he served one term with great acceptance to the people as mayor of Templeton. Starting in a strange country as a poor boy he became one of the foremost men in one of the leading counties of Iowa, and left a record to which his family and friends may ever point with pride. Mrs. Neu is living and makes her home at Templeton. She is a member of the Catholic Church as was her husband. He always gave great credit to his wife for his advancement, ascribing his success very largely to her constant encouragement and support. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 144.

 

FRED NEUMAYER, one of the pioneer citizens and successful farmers of Carroll County, who is now serving as supervisor from Kniest Township, was born in Poughkeepsie, New York, on the 15th of August, 1854. His parents, Charles and Lutgardis (Smith) Neumayer, were both natives of Baden, Germany, the former born February 2, 1812, and the latter, August 12, 1811. In 1850 they emigrated to America and first located in New York state, where they made their home for four years and then removed to Ottawa, La Salle county, Illinois, whence they came to Iowa, in 1872. They spent their last years in Carroll County, where the mother died on the 21st of October, 1889, and the father passed away on the 22d of November, 1904.
    Their only child was Fred Neumayer, the subject of this review. He acquired his education in the common schools of Ottawa, Illinois, and after laying aside his text-books devoted his entire attention to farming, having become thoroughly familiar with that occupation when assisting his father in the operation of the home farm. He accompanied his parents on their removal to Carroll county, Iowa, in 1872, and is still living on a part of the old homestead, his father having purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in 1868. To this our subject has added until he now owns eight hundred and forty acres of land in Carroll County, besides a tract of four hundred acres in Oklahoma.
    On the 30th of October 1888, Mr. Neumayer was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Thieleke, a daughter of Anton and Marie (Busse) Thieleke, both of whom died in Westphalia, Germany. It was in 1881 that Mrs. Neumayer came to the United States in company with her sister, Mrs. Wittemayer. She had one brother who served in the Civil war and lost a leg in battle. To Mr. and Mrs. Neumayer have been born five sons and they also have an adopted daughter, namely, Charles A., Joseph R., Albert J., Leo W., Anthony A. and Clara.
    Mr. Neumayer is a Catholic in religious belief and is a member of the Roman Catholic Protective Association, while in politics he is a democrat. He has always taken an active and helpful interest in public affairs and for eleven years served as township trustee, while at present he is a member of the board of supervisors of Carroll County. He is one of the most progressive and enterprising citizens of the community and in business affairs has met with remarkable success. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 299.

 

GEORGE KLINE,  Among the sons of the fatherland whose industry and sturdy qualities have added much to the financial worth and civilization of Carroll county, and whose well directed efforts along agricultural lines in former years now make it possible for them to rest from further labor, is numbered George Kline. His birth occurred in Hamburg, Germany, on the 10th of August, 1848, his parents being Christian and Katharine (Everhard) Kline, both natives of Germany. The father was one of two sons born unto his parents, who were lifelong residents of the fatherland and whose record has now been lost. The maternal grandfather, Everhard, passed away in Germany, while his wife, who later came to the United States, died in Wisconsin. In their family were six daughters, as follows: Caroline, who married Adam Zimbeck; Christine, the wife of ? Everhard; Margaret, who married Peter Mater, of Wisconsin; Sophia, who married George Kline of Walworth county, Wisconsin; Magdalena, the wife of Adam Peters, of Sharon, Wisconsin; and Katharine, the mother of our subject. Christian Kline, who was reared and educated in his native country, was a cooper by trade and there followed that occupation for a time. He served in the French army at the time of the African war for seven years, and in 1852 sought a home in the new world, locating in Walworth county, Wisconsin. After his arrival in this country he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits and at one time owned two hundred acres of land in that state. Shortly before his death, however, he sold the one hundred and twenty acres, which remained of that property to his son, Philip. He passed away at the ripe old age of eighty-two years. His wife's death occurred on the 22d of February 1889, when she had reached the age of seventy-four years and six months. Both passed away in the faith of the German Evangelical church, of which they had been devoted and exemplary members. By a former marriage to a brother of Mr. Kline his wife had two children, Christian and Nicholas, while by her marriage with Christian Kline she became the mother of five children, namely: Christina, the deceased wife of Barney Huber; George, of this review; Leopold, of Glidden township; Caroline, who married Albert Barth, of Sharon township, Walworth county, Wisconsin; and Philip, of Sharon, Wisconsin.
    George Kline was a little lad of four years when brought to America by his parents, and in Walworth County, Wisconsin, he grew to manhood, attending the district schools of that locality in the acquirement of his education. When not busy with his text-books he assisted in the work of the home farm and under his father's direction early became familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. He remained at home until seventeen years of age when, in spite of his youth, he enlisted for service, in 1865, as a member of Company A, Thirty-seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, with which command he served throughout the remainder of the war, taking part in many important skirmishes, including the battle of Petersburg. After the close of hostilities he returned home and there remained until his marriage, after which he began farming independently, renting a tract of land in Walworth county for two or three years. On the 1st of April 1876, he came to Carroll County, Iowa, and for about three years operated rented land here. He then invested in a farm of his own, purchasing eighty acres in Glidden Township, which he yet owns and to which he added, as his financial resources increased, until it is now a fine property of two hundred and thirty acres. That farm remained his home for more than twenty years, and in the meantime he carefully cultivated his fields, from which he reaped abundant harvests from year to year that enabled him to place himself in comfortable circumstances. In 1902, the competency which he had accumulated made it possible for him to withdraw from active life and in that year he took up his abode in Glidden. Here he purchased two and five-eighths acres of land in the north part of the town, upon which he has erected an attractive dwelling and where he is now living in happy contentment, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of his many years of earnest labor.
    On the 4th of July, 1871, Mr. Kline was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Rokanbrodt, who was born in Sharon, Walworth county, where she was reared and married. Her parents, Mathias and Margaret (Suggar) Rokanbrodt, were natives of Germany who came to America at an early day, locating first in Pennsylvania. Later they removed to Wisconsin and were numbered among the early settlers of Walworth county, that state, where both passed away, the father on the 24th of October, 1888, and the mother in 1881, when seventy years and nine months old. Mrs. Kline was the youngest in a family of six children, the others being Jacob, Katharine, Fannie, Joseph and Vilena. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Kline have been born three children, Albert Arnett, Edward George and Nettie May, the latter living at home. The elder son, Albert A. Kline, is engaged in farming in Glidden Township. He married Bertha Stevens, by whom he has two children, Leata Leona and Opal. Edward G. Kline resides in Carroll, Iowa, and is also married, his wife in her maidenhood being Miss Minnie Horton. Unto them have been born two sons, Merle Manford and Lyle Edward.
    Mr. and Mrs. Kline are members of the Church of God, in the work of which they take an active and helpful part, and of which Mr. Kline is serving as trustee. In politics he has never been governed by party ties nor machine rule, but has ever cast an independent ballot, voting for the best man and most desirable measures. His interests are thoroughly identified with those of Carroll County, within whose borders he has lived and labored for many years, and he now occupies a place among the representative, well-to-do and highly respected residents of the county. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 80.

 

JOSEPH C. ARTS is a prominent factor in financial circles in Carroll County as the vice president of the German-American Bank at Carroll. His birth occurred in Carroll, Iowa, on the 17th of September 1878, his parents being William and Christine (Manemann) Arts. He was reared to manhood in his native city and attended the parochial and public schools in the acquirement of an education.              Following his attendance at the high school he entered the German-American Bank in the capacity of assistant cashier, while in October, 1910, he became the vice president of the institution, in which connection his efforts have since proven a factor in its successful control. He was also engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in association with his brother, William A. Arts, until they sold out in October 1910. Mr. Arts of this review is likewise one of the trustees of the Carroll Times, of which company his father was the president.
    On the 27th of April, 1904, Mr. Arts was joined in wedlock to Miss Carrie Meyers, a native of Roselle township, Carroll county, Iowa, and a daughter of Henry and Nellie (Rosauer) Meyers, both of whom were born in Illinois. They took up their abode among the early settlers of this county and have lived in Carroll for the past three years, coming here from Templeton, Iowa. Their children are six in number, namely: Joseph, Frank, Carrie, Addie, Harry and Ollie. Mr. and Mrs. Arts have three children: Baldwin, Bernadetta and Louise Christine.
    Mr. Arts gives his political allegiance to the democracy, while fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Modern Woodmen of America. For a period of fifteen years he was connected with the fire department. Both he and his wife are Catholics in religious faith and are faithful communicants of that church. They have always lived in Carroll County and are widely and favorably known within its borders. END
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 73.


 
WILLIAM ARTS,  Not what a man has done for himself but what he has done for others is the true measure of his worth, and in all history it is those who have contributed most to the happiness of their fellow beings that stand highest in the love and respect of mankind. Judged by this standard, William Arts, for nearly forty years a leading citizen of Carroll, will long be remembered by those who had the honor of his acquaintance and his name will always be associated prominently with the history of Carroll County. Eminently successful in every line of business to which he directed his attention, he was especially noted for his fidelity to trust and one of his chief concerns in the closing days of his life was to safeguard the interests that had been placed in his charge.
    Born near Galena, Illinois, October 2, 1840, he spent his boyhood in southwestern Wisconsin and northern Illinois. He attended the district schools and later possessed advantages of training in the public schools of Galena and the college of the Dominican Fathers at Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. At the age of nineteen, in 1859, he yielded to the gold excitement which swept throughout the country from the Pacific coast and started with a party of adventurers upon a trip of five and one-half months across the plains and mountains to California. After spending several years in California, in the course of which he underwent great hardships, he joined with others on a prospecting tour through Oregon, Washington, and the present state of Idaho. He and two partners made a rich gold strike on the spot where Idaho City, Idaho, now stands and were practically the founders of a mining camp which has since developed into one of the flourishing cities of the state. He engaged successfully in mining until the fall of 1864 and then started for his old home in Illinois with a party of companions. After passing through great dangers from Indians and also from hunger and thirst, Mr. Arts with two other survivors of the party arrived almost exhausted at one of the frontier settlements of Nebraska. Shortly afterward he arrived at Galena, where he was married, and on January 24, 1865, started with his bride on a ship from New York to return to Idaho. The journey led to the Isthmus of Panama and from the western coast of Central America Mr. Arts and his bride went aboard a ship for San Francisco and finally arrived at Idaho City after a period of about three months. Here they lived for three years, their daughter, Emma, being the first white child born in that mining camp. In October, 1867, Mr. Arts started with his wife and baby by stage upon a trip of fifteen days and nights to Cheyenne, Wyoming, which was then the terminus of the Union Pacific Railway. They returned by train to Galena, Illinois, and after spending the winter there Mr. Arts went to the mines for one more season. He disposed of his interest and on October 7, 1868, bade farewell to Idaho City, once more returning to Galena. In passing through Iowa he was much pleased with the appearance of the country and accordingly in October, 1869, came to Wheatland township, Carroll county, Iowa, and purchased section 12, which became known as the Arts section. Here he erected the first building of the locality, in which his family took up their residence the next spring. In 1871 he removed to Carroll, which he made his permanent home. He soon became a leading business man and also took a prominent part in public affairs, serving as a member of the city council and also from 1880 to 1882 as county treasurer, but declined re-nomination at the close of his first term. He engaged in grain buying in the early days and was a partner of D. Wayne in a general merchandise store, later purchasing his partner's interest. In 1884 he associated with A. C. Manemann in the general merchandise business, in which they continued for more than ten years. In 1888 he assisted in organizing the German Bank of Carroll county, buying out Patterson Brothers, and served as president of the bank for many years. In 1887 he organized the German Printing Association, which acquired Der Carroll Demokrat, and Mr. Arts was the first president of this association. Through his influence the Carroll Times was organized in 1897. This proved an enterprise in which he was greatly interested, its success affording him probably as much satisfaction as any investment that he made in his later years. He was the founder of the German-American bank, which began business February 1, 1898. This institution may be regarded as a monument to Mr. Arts' energy and ability and he took great pains to provide for its continuation according to his sterling ideas of honesty and integrity. He was followed by his two sons, W. A. and J. C. Arts, who are worthy successors to him in business. Beside his banking interest he had extensive real-estate holdings in this and adjoining counties and was also the owner of large tracts of farmland in western Canada. He left an estate probably the largest ever accumulated in Carroll County.
    On the 24th of January, 1865, Mr. Arts was married, at Galena, Illinois, in St. Mary's Catholic church, by Rev. Father Powers, to Miss Christine Manemann, a daughter of Clemence and Mary Anna (Stockel) Manemann, who were natives of Lengeringen, Germany, where they were married January 4, 1843. Two years later, with their son, Bernard, they came to America, landing at New York, whence they made their way to Nauvoo, Illinois. After a short time they removed to Galena, where the father engaged in farming. However he had previously learned the trade of carpentering in Germany, where he had built many residences, mills and public buildings, and also conducted a carpenter shop on his farm. In 1893 he and his wife celebrated their golden wedding. They were members of the Catholic Church and Mr. Manemann was a stanch supporter of democratic principles. He died November 16, 1895, and his wife passed away January 4, 1906. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Arts have been born the following children: Emma, resides at home. William A. is mentioned on another page of this volume. Frank H. wedded Mary Mikesell and resides in Fremont, Nebraska, where he is engaged in the mercantile business. He has three children, Graydon, Gretchen and Stanford. Anna is the wife of Frank J. Rettenmaier, a pharmacist of Carroll, Iowa, and has four sons, Wilbur, Paul, Lewis and Gerald. J. C. is mentioned on another page of this volume. Louise is the wife of Fred A. Pielsticker, of Eldorado, Kansas, who is manager and owner of the Eldorado Electric Refrigerator Company. They have two children, William and Robert. Augusta, the next member of the Arts family, and Mary, the youngest, reside at home. Mr. Arts was a man of fine social characteristics but his greatest happiness was found in the society of his wife and children. He was a valued member of the Knights of Columbus and in religious belief was a lifelong adherent of the Catholic Church. He was the leader in the organization of the SS. Peter and Paul Catholic church in 1885, becoming one of the three trustees of the church. He was a generous contributor to religious objects and to all movements that aimed to promote the welfare of the community, giving freely of his time as well as his money and asking no return except the approval of his own conscience. He was a public-spirited citizen and did his part in every enterprise that looked to the advancement of the general welfare. He was active in politics and at one time was treasurer of this county and held many positions of trust in the city. Whatever he did was for the best interests of the community and his labors were an element in promoting the material, intellectual, political, social and moral progress.
    This noble citizen, who won and retained the good will of all who came within the circle of his influence, died September 22, 1910, being then nearly seventy years of age. He suffered for over eight years from diabetes and, although he secured the best medical advice, the disease slowly advanced until the spirit was freed from its earthly tenement. It was only through the exercise of a masterful will that he was able to endure for this long period, but he bore his sufferings heroically to the last and spoke calmly to his sons of the approaching change and unflinchingly prepared for the end but out of the depth of his sympathy and love sought to conceal the gravity of his real condition from his wife and daughters.
    One of the local papers said of him: "The importance of Mr. Arts as a business man, his intimate relations from an early day with the affairs of Carroll and Carroll county, makes his death in the fullness of years and in the esteem of all who knew him somewhat of an epochal event as between the old and the new generation, the pioneers and the sons of pioneers. Very few are left of the hardy generation to which he belonged, whose lives surveyed the vast building which has fashioned the present from its beginning in the far past. Many have already gone and few remain. No one has given in greater measure of himself and of his talents to Carroll and Carroll county than has William Arts. In a sensible and unostentatious way he was a charitable man, helping many in their struggles to get a start or tide over difficulties, and to the church and its charities and enterprises he was a prodigal giver. By the exercises of a powerful will and good judgment he made his way to a success that others with the same opportunities could not reach, but it was done by prudent investment, not by speculation. It was his pride that not a dollar of his fortune was made in a questionable way."
    The following summary of his character appeared in the Carroll Times and as it was written by one who knew him through years of intimate association the tribute is especially appropriate in this place: "In the death of William Arts this city and county is deprived of the influence for good of a man incorruptible in his sterling integrity, a powerful factor in seeking the bettering of wrong conditions affecting the body politic, and whose views, freely expressed, always carried great weight in influencing thought and the study of questions among those who might have differed with him through erroneous impressions. He will be missed by high and low, rich and poor, all of whom will recall his many good acts and qualities. The business sagacity of William Arts, his enterprise, integrity and solidity, were of the old school, all based on unswerving honesty and the sense of duty to God and man. His moral life, clean habits, honesty and sturdiness of character are virtues that should keep bright the lamp of his memory to generations yet to come. He has passed to his eternal reward, let us hope, and believe as we hope that an all merciful Father may grant us everlasting life when this earthly career ends. We sadly miss our fellow citizen, neighbor, friend, benefactor. Henceforth we can but cherish his memory, seek consolation in the thought that his pains, trials and vexations are over; that beyond the vale of shadows his spirit emerged into the world that we can but mistily view by the power of our imagination, but which faith depicts and assures us, abounds with joy that shall never cease." END
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 18.

 

WILLIAM A. ARTS, the cashier of the German-American Bank at Carroll, is one of the well known and representative residents of the city. His birth occurred at Galena, Illinois, on the 26th of July 1869, his parents being William and Christine (Manemann) Arts, who were likewise natives of that place. Their children were nine in number, namely: Emma, at home; William A., of this review; Frank H.; Anna, the wife of Frank J. Rettenmaier; Joseph C., the vice president of the German-American Bank; Louise, the wife of Frederick A. Pielsticker; Augusta; Mary, at home; and one who died in infancy.
    William A. Arts was eighteen months old when brought by his parents to Carroll County, while in 1872 the family home was established in the town of Carroll, where he grew to manhood and where he has resided continuously since. He supplemented his preliminary education, obtained in the parochial and public schools, by four years' study at Notre Dame, Indiana, where he attended college during the years 1884, 1885, 1886 and 1887. After returning to Carroll he worked for one year as bookkeeper for the firm of Arts & Manemann, general merchants. On the 1st of January 1888, he accepted a position in the German Bank of Carroll County, which had been established by his father and in which he remained until the 1st of February, 1898. At that time they bought out the old Bank of Carroll, which was the first financial institution established here, changing the name to the German-American Bank. William A. Arts has acted as cashier thereof to the present time, while his father was the chief executive officer of the institution until he passed away on the 22d of September 1910. His mother, Mrs. Christine Arts, now holds the office of president. A wide-awake, energetic businessman, Mr. Arts has done much to promote the interests of the institution and has become thoroughly conversant with every department of banking. He keeps well posted on the financial interests of the country and in his management of affairs has followed a safe, conservative policy which has won the commendation of the patrons of the bank and gained the confidence of the general public. For a period of twelve or fifteen years he was also engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in association with his brother Joseph, selling out on the 19th of October, 1910.
    On the 7th of September, 1892, Mr. Arts was united in marriage to Miss Emma Keckevoet, a native of Delphi, Indiana, and a daughter of Louis and Bernardina (Dunkel) Keckevoet, both of whom were born in Germany. Louis Keckevoet was one of the prominent traveling men of that country, being a highly educated and brilliant man. Following his emigration to the United States he was engaged in merchandising at Dubuque for a number of years. His demise occurred at Carroll, Iowa, in 1882, when he had attained the age of forty-seven years, while his wife passed away in 1906 when about seventy years old. They had three daughters, namely: Antonia, the wife of Augustus C. Manemann, of Carroll; Frances, who is a resident of St. Joseph, Missouri; and Mrs. Arts. Both the paternal and maternal grandfathers of Mrs. Arts passed away in Germany, the latter being a celebrated physician of that country. Unto our subject and his wife were born three children, namely: Charlotte, Norbert and Alfred. The wife and mother was called to her final rest on the 29th of October 1910, when forty-two years of age, passing away in the faith of the Catholic Church.
    Mr. Arts is a democrat in politics and has held the office of city treasurer for the past seventeen or eighteen years, discharging his duties in this connection in a most able and satisfactory manner. For a period of twenty years he was at the head of the fire department. He is a valued member of the Commercial Club of Carroll and takes an active and helpful interest in every movement instituted to promote the welfare of city and county. In religious faith he is a Catholic, while fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters. He has resided in Carroll County throughout practically his entire life and has long been numbered among its most enterprising and respected citizens. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 63.

 

LESTER G. BANGS,  Among the old soldiers now living in honored retirement should be named Lester G. Bangs of Carroll. He was born in Newburg, now a part of the city of Cleveland, Ohio, November 8, 1837, and is the son of James S. and Louisa (Gilbert) Bangs, the former of whom was born near Akron, Ohio, and the latter near Cleveland. The father became a physician and practiced in Cincinnati, Ohio, until after the death of his wife, which occurred in 1849, from cholera which was then raging in this country. He removed to Chicago and continued there until after the Civil War, then taking up his home at Brooklyn, New York, where he died in 1872 at the age of sixty years. He was for several years connected with the customs service at New York. There were two sons and two daughters in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Bangs, namely: Lester G., the subject of this review; Mrs. Irene McConnell, now deceased; Mrs. Alicia C. Clopper, a resident of Wichita, Kansas; and William H., who became a drummer boy in the Civil war at the age of twelve years and is now deceased. The paternal grandfather of our subject was James Bangs, who became a captain in the state militia of Massachusetts. He was born at Williamsburg, Massachusetts, in 1769, and engaged as a shingle manufacturer. In 1790 he was married to Martha Nash. They spent their last days at Akron, Ohio. There were seven children in their family, namely: Theodore, Henry, Samuel, Elisha, Martha, Hortensia and Horatio.
    Lester G. Bangs lived at Cuyahoga, Ohio, until about ten years of age, and then went with his parents to Cincinnati, where he attended the common schools. At the age of twelve he became a clerk in a wholesale and retail hat and cap store in Cincinnati. In 1859 he went to live with an uncle on a farm in Grant county, Wisconsin, and three years later removed to Chicago, Illinois, where he started to learn broom making. On April 17, 1861, he enlisted in the Civil war, in response to the first call for troops issued by President Lincoln, and was sent with two companies and a piece of artillery to guard the bridges near Cairo, Illinois. After three months the company was reorganized as Company A, Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, the regiment participating in many of the most important battles of the Civil war, among which were Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge. At the battle of Chickamauga Mr. Bangs received a slight wound in one of his arms and at the battle of Mission Ridge he lost his right leg. He enlisted as a private and served three years and four months, being honorably mustered out as first lieutenant and adjutant. After the war he learned telegraphy and for two years was in the employ of the Chicago & Alton Railway Company at Lincoln and Chicago, Illinois. In August, 1867, he came to Glidden, Carroll county, as agent of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company, continuing in that capacity until 1881, when he went to Lake City and engaged for nine years in the hardware business. He was in the employ of the First National Bank at Carroll from 1890 until 1899, and then went to Cuba and had charge of the post office in the city of Batabano for fifteen months. Returning to Carroll, he served for three years as state oil inspector, since which time he has lived in honorable retirement.
    On the 3d day of September 1863, Mr. Bangs was united in marriage to Miss Martha A. Hopkins, daughter of Aaron and Maria (Shelton) Hopkins. The father was born in Salem, Washington County, New York, and the mother in Troy, New York. Mr. Hopkins came west, reaching the present site of Chicago in 1835, when there was only one frame building there, the others being log cabins. He cultivated a farm near Lockport, Illinois, and later built a home in Lockport. In 1864 he removed to Fayette county, Iowa, and in 1881 took up his residence in Lake City. He died in January 1891, being then within a few months of ninety years of age. His wife passed away in October 1890, at the age of eighty-seven years. Mr. Bangs has one brother, Aaron. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Bangs was Nathan Hopkins, and his wife was Martha Robinson. In their family were William, Aaron, Nathan, Jane and Annie. Abijah Shelton, the maternal grandfather, was a native of Connecticut, and his wife was Ann Heermance. Three children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Bangs, namely: Lois, now of River Forest, Illinois, who married William B. Rowland, and they have one child, Leon B.; Bertha, also of River Forest, who married Edwin S. Wells, Jr., and they have two children, Edwin S., III and Lester G., and Walter G., who married Louise Blackman, and is now cashier of the International Harvester Company at Minot, North Dakota.
    Mrs. Bangs is a lady of intelligence and discernment, and has with special ability served as librarian of the Carroll Public Library. Politically Mr. Bangs is an ardent adherent of the Republican Party. He cast his first vote for John C. Fremont for president of the United States and has never departed from the party he then espoused. Socially he is identified with Jeff C. Davis Post, G. A. R., of Carroll and is now its adjutant. He is a man of many sterling qualities and has a host of friends in Carroll County, being known as one of its representative citizens. END
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 246.

 

EMERY F. SMITH,  Among the prominently known farmers of Carroll County is Emery F. Smith, who was born at Coon Rapids April 16, 1860, and has since made his home at this place. He is a son of Ezra Meade and Sarah Clarissa (Smith) Smith, the former of whom was born in Vermont and the latter in New York state, in December, 1830. The father was reared at Rutland, Vermont, and became a foreman in a marble mill of Rutland. After his marriage, which took place in Michigan, he came with his wife to Iowa in 1854 and located at Coon Rapids where he purchased land, which he developed into a good farm. At one time he was the owner of seven hundred acres. He died March 24, 1900, at the age of seventy-three years, but his widow still survives and resides on the old homestead. She has been blind for thirty years and is the oldest settler in Carroll County in point of continuous residence. She and her husband in their younger days were members of the Baptist church but later affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventists. Mr. Smith was a lover of music and for many years taught singing in the old-fashioned singing schools. The only public office he ever held was that of school director. He was a good business man and became one of the prominent and successful farmers of Carroll county. There were six children in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Charles, deceased; Francelia, the wife of Daniel Smith, of Forsyth, Missouri; Byron, who makes his home at Mears, Oklahoma; Emery F.; Maria, who married Warren Fell, of Spirit Lake, Iowa; and George A., who died at the age of twelve and one-half years.
    The paternal grandfather of our subject was a native of Vermont and engaged in farming. The maiden name of his wife was Lodena Blanchard. There were six children in their family, Franklin, Clarissa, Ezra, Laura, Adeline and Julia. The maternal grandfather was Alanson Smith, a native of New York who engaged in mercantile business for a number of years near Ithaca. He married Maria Gridley and they moved to Michigan and settled in New Hudson. He died at the age of seventy-four and his wife was called away at the age of eighty-three years. In their family were five children, Harriet E., Sarah Clarissa, Edgar, Isadore and Martin. Mrs. Ezra Smith was twice married, her first husband being Luman Franklin Smith. He died and she married his brother, Ezra Meade Smith. There were no children by the first marriage. The ancestors of Mrs. Smith were of English stock, one of them being Baron D. Gridley. The American branch of the Gridley family is descended from progenitors who settled at Hartford, Connecticut, the early records showing that Thomas Gridley, grandfather of Mrs. Smith on her mother's side, married Sarah Hitchcock. The family of which Mrs. Smith's father was a member settled near Ithaca, New York. Thomas Gridley, the grandfather on the mother's side, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, enlisting when he was sixteen years of age.
    Emery F. Smith, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Coon Rapids and secured advantages of education in the public schools. As he grew to manhood he assisted upon his father's farm and has since continued on the old homestead of which he is in charge. He devotes his attention to general farming and stock-raising, and his labors are rewarded with ample harvests, yielding a goodly annual income. Politically he is an adherent of the Republican Party whose candidates and principles receive his earnest support. A native of Coon Rapids, he is greatly interested in its development and is always ready to put his shoulder to the wheel to assist in promoting the welfare of the community.
    On the 27th of November 1884, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Mary E. Morgan, who was born in Mahaska County, Iowa, February 3, 1861, a daughter of Richard and Lodena (Oldham) Morgan. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of four children, Chalon E., Raymond, Carl, and one who died in infancy. Chalon E. Smith, the eldest, married Miss Pearl S. Lloyd, of Key West, Florida. He has recently returned home after serving three years as a member of the Ninth Band of the Coast Artillery Corps of the United States Army.
    Richard Morgan, the father of Mrs. Emery F. Smith, was born in Kentucky and his wife was born in Indiana. They came to Mahaska County, Iowa, where they resided a number of years. Mrs. Morgan died at Coon Rapids in 1907, having reached the age of sixty-nine, but Mr. Morgan is now living at Independence, Oklahoma. They had twelve children: Melvina May, Fred, Mary Ellen, Robert, Lizzie, Alexander, Addie, Carrie, Florence, deceased, Mettie, Gertie and Jesse. The grandfather of Mrs. Smith on the paternal side was John Morgan, a native of Kentucky, and the maiden name of his wife was Elizabeth Myers. He died in middle life but Mrs. Morgan was over eighty-eight years of age when her death occurred. There were seven children in their family:  Dorcas, Nancy, Amanda, Richard, Alexander, Susan and Mary. The maternal grandfather was Robert Oldham, a native of Indiana, who married Nicy Bollibaugh. He died at the age of seventy-four, his widow being called away after she had passed the eighty-ninth milestone of life. They were the parents of nine children: Serena, Christina, Lodena, Nancy, Mary, Adam, Aaron, Zadoc and William.
    Mrs. Ezra Smith retains a distinct recollection of many interesting events of the pioneer days. When she and her husband arrived at Coon Rapids fifty-seven years ago, there were few white people in this part of the state. In 1855, the year following their arrival, Mr. and Mrs. Zadoc Titus and their family of six children became residents of the neighborhood and during the same year came Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Geiselhart and their family of four children. The three families all lived in one log house, Mr. and Mrs. Smith also being the parents of two children, so that there were twelve children and six grown persons, making eighteen in all, who lived together peaceably and happily. The heads of the families are all now dead except Mrs. Smith. They finally built an addition to the house so that it had seven rooms and was one of the most commodious residences in this region. They passed through a number of exciting experiences, fighting prairie fires in which the women gave valuable assistance in saving their property. The principal means of travel was on horseback and Mrs. Smith became a skillful rider. When she took up her residence here the nearest white family, bearing the name of Niles, was five miles away. These neighbors moved to New Mexico and Mrs. Smith is now the oldest settler in the county. She owns the homestead on which she and her husband located more than a half-century ago but has disposed of a portion of the land, still retaining about one hundred and twenty acres all of which except thirty acres is within the corporate limits of Coon Rapids. Although she is now in her eighty-first year she is well preserved physically for one of her age and is remarkably bright mentally. She is well informed as to the growth of Carroll County, having witnessed its development from a wilderness. She endured the hardships of pioneer life and now enjoys a competency and the companionship and the loving ministrations of younger persons who were not called upon to endure the privations through which she and her early associates were obliged to pass. To the pioneers the present generation owes a debt of gratitude, which it is impossible to pay. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 84.

 

JOHN W. SMITH,  A spirit of self-reliance and an unalterable determination to accomplish an honorable purpose have been controlling elements in the life of John W. Smith, cashier of the Bank of Coon Rapids. He belongs to the class of men who win recognition in any line of business or in any profession on which they concentrate their energies, a class that leads in city, state or nation and is largely responsible for the prosperity the country now enjoys.
    Mr. Smith was born in Poweshiek County, Iowa, January 6, 1872, a son of Richard and Christina (Head) Smith, both of whom were natives of Ohio. The father was reared on a farm and then learned the harness-making and saddlery trade, but after working at his trade a few years returned to farming as his vocation. He and his wife came to Poweshiek County, Iowa, and in 1883 moved to Audubon County, ten years later taking up their residence at Indianola where they are now living retired. They are both earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In their family were eleven children, the following of whom grew to maturity, namely: Edgar A., a resident of Ackworth, Iowa; Oran J., of Indianola; Richard L., of Ladora; Elva C., who married Barton Morrison, of Girard, Kansas; William H., of Marshfield, Oregon; John W., of Coon Rapids, Iowa; and Charles C., of Panora.
    The paternal grandfather of our subject, Wesley Smith, was the head of a family of nine children, Henry, John, Acquilla, Cleaton, Wesley, Richard, Russell, Elijah and Catharine. The maternal grandfather was William Head, a native of Ohio and by occupation a farmer. He and his wife came to Poweshiek County, Iowa, and subsequently moved to Greene county, settling at Jefferson where they spent the remainder of their days. Of their children seven grew to maturity, Joseph, Christina, Mahlon, Albert, Caleb, Sarah and Aaron.
    John W. Smith made his home in Poweshiek County until he was eleven years of age and there received his preliminary school training. He removed with his parents to Audubon County and continued his attendance at the public schools, also becoming a student at Simpson College where he remained two years. He taught school in the country several terms and for one year filled the position of bookkeeper in the State Savings Bank of which Abraham Dixon was proprietor. After retiring from this position he served for eighteen months as bookkeeper and cashier under John Lee in the Valley Bank. In February, 1902, he associated with Warren Garst in organizing the Bank of Coon Rapids of which he has ever since been cashier. The bank has been ably conducted and is recognized as one of the substantial financial concerns of the county.
    On the 25th of December, 1898, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Emma Zavitz, a native of Cedar County, Iowa, and a daughter of Abraham and Catharine (Camberling) Zavitz. To this union three children have been born, Forrest, Gerald and Kathryn. The father of Mrs. Smith was born in Canada and the mother in Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa and settled in Cedar County. Mr. Zavitz was a soldier in the Civil war and died in 1892 from the effects of a gunshot wound which he received in the arm many years before while gallantly fighting for his country. His widow still survives and lives with her daughter in Coon Rapids. They had seven children all of whom are living, Abraham, Harriet, Ena, Ida, John, Emma and Edward.
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Coon Rapids Methodist Episcopal Church and active workers in its behalf. He belongs to Charity Lodge, No. 187, A. F. & A. M., and also to the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically he is in hearty sympathy with the principles and candidates of the Republican Party. He takes a great interest in the education of the young and for three years past has served as president of the school board, having also filled the office of chief of the fire department for two years. By the faithful discharge of every responsibility he has gained the confidence of the people of Coon Rapids and the surrounding region and is numbered among the most substantial and progressive citizens of the County. (END)
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 175.
 

SAMUEL H. JOHNSTON, who is now serving as mayor of Carroll for the third term, has been successfully engaged in the practice of veterinary surgery here for the past twenty-three years. His birth occurred in Ontario, Canada, on the 12th of October, 1862, his parents being Henry and Jane (MacMillan) Johnston, the former a native of Scotland and the latter of Canada. Henry Johnston, who emigrated to Canada when a boy, was successfully engaged in general agricultural pursuits throughout his active business career. He died when our subject was still a child, passing away in the faith of the Presbyterian church. His widow has now attained the age of eighty-seven years and is living on the old homestead in Canada with a son and daughter. She was reared in the Episcopal faith, but is a member of the Presbyterian church.
    Samuel H. Johnston, who was the ninth in order of birth in a family of ten children, attended the public schools of Canada in the acquirement of an education. When twenty-two years of age he entered the Ontario Veterinary College, from which institution he was graduated in 1888. In that year he located for practice in Carroll, Iowa, and this city has since remained the scene of his professional labors, which have been attended with a gratifying measure of success. He has landed interests in Crawford county, this state, and is widely recognized as a prosperous and leading citizen of the community.
    In 1891 Mr. Johnston was united in marriage to Miss Sophronia Dunham, who was born in Dunlap, Iowa, in 1867. Unto them has been born one child, Roswell, whose natal year was 1898. Mr. Johnston is a stanch republican in politics and has been a member of the school board for twelve years, while for eight years he served on the city council. He is now serving his third term as mayor of Carroll and has exercised his official prerogatives in support of many measures of reform and improvement. Under his administration the city sewage system was inaugurated at a cost of thirty thousand dollars and this has since proved of immeasurable benefit. The water system was remodeled and improved at a cost of fifteen thousand dollars and the saloon license increased from fifteen to fifty dollars per month. The paving ordinance has been passed and over a mile of paved streets is under way. Also a franchise for city electric lighting and city heating was granted and valuable plants installed; also a gas franchise has been granted and a large plant put in operation. Mr. Johnston is a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Of a sociable nature, he has found life enjoyable in the acquirement of a circle of friends that grows as grows the scope of his acquaintance. END
Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago, Volume II, page 28.
 

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives