Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.

 


Biographies of Carroll County

Transcriptions by Mona Sarratt Knight;  placed on this site with her permission, 27 Feb 2003.

Source:  History of Carroll County Iowa, Volume I & II, by Paul MacLean, Illustrated, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company (1912) Chicago

Volume II, Page 31:
FRANK HOFFMAN,  Frank Hoffman, busily engaged in the pursuits of farming and stock-raising, is the owner of a well improved and productive tract of land comprising one hundred and sixty acres on section 28, Eden township. His birth occurred in Chicago, Illinois, on the 12th of November, 1858, his parents being Anton and Catherine (PLOEDERL) HOFFMAN, both of whom were natives of Bavaria, Germany. The father's birth occurred in February 1830, while the mother was born on the 27th of January 1826. Anton Hoffman emigrated to the United States in 1850, and Catherine Ploederl crossed the Atlantic the following year. Their marriage was celebrated in Chicago, Illinois. For a period of twenty-six or twenty-seven years, Mr. Hoffman was there employed as a yard man by the Singer & Talcott Stone Company. In 1879 he came to Carroll County, Iowa, spending the remainder of his life on a farm in Eden Township. While a resident of the fatherland, he had also been
engaged in farming. His demise occurred on the 18th of May 1908, while his wife had been called to her final rest on the 3d of the same month. Mr. Hoffman gave his political allegiance to the democracy and was a faithful communicant of the German Catholic Church at Templeton, Iowa.
    Frank Hoffman obtained his education in the grammar and high schools of Chicago and is a graduate of St. Michael's School. After putting aside his textbooks, he spent three years in the employ of the McCormick Wood Moulding & Building Company of Chicago as a shipping clerk. In July 1877, he came to Carroll County, Iowa, with his older brother, John, settling on a farm near Carroll. It was in 1880 that he took up his abode on the farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Eden Township, which has remained his home to the present time. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, he raises Duroc Jersey hogs and at one time fed cattle for the market. His farm is well improved in every particular and its neat and thrifty appearance testifies to the supervision of a practical and progressive owner.
    In the spring of 1880, Mr. Hoffman wedded Miss Mary KOLLMANSPERGER, a daughter of Andrew Kollmansperger, now deceased, who was a blacksmith of Hardin County, Iowa. Our subject and his wife are the parents of ten children. Elizabeth, who gave her hand in marriage to John KLOCKE, an agriculturist of Eden Township, is the mother of three sons: Frank, John and Joseph. Mary, living on a farm near Carroll, is the wife of Andrew KIRSH, by whom she has three children: Nicholas, Mary and Andrew. Johanna is the wife of Peter SIEBENALLER, a farmer by occupation and has one child, Mary. The other children of Mr. HOFFMAN are as follows: Augusta, who joined the order of St. Dominic and is now known as Sister Merceda; Rosa and Frank Jr., both at home; Theresa, a member of the same order as her sister Augusta and known by the name of Sister Gerarda; and Peter, Catherine, and John, who are still under the parental roof.
    In politics, Mr. Hoffman is a Democrat, and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust. He held the office of township clerk for twelve years, was assessor for six years and has also served in the capacity of township supervisor and that of road master. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the German Catholic Church at Templeton. His career is identified with the history of Carroll County, where he has acquired a competence and where he is an honored and respected citizen. (END)

 

Volume II, Page 63:
LEWIS HOFFMAN, was born on the Atlantic Ocean, July 4, 1854, and was reared in the state of Wisconsin but came to Iowa in 1884, locating in Coon Rapids, Carroll County, where he has since resided. He is well and favorably known here. (END)

 

Volume II, Page 92:
CARSON HOFFMANN, who for many years was engaged in farming in Washington Township, but is now living retired in Manning, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 13th of October 1851, being a son of John and Frauke (THEDE) HOFFMANN. The parents were also natives of Schleswig-Holstein, the father's natal day having been the 3d of December 1818, and that of the mother the 23d of March 1818. Mr. Hoffmann, who was a carpenter in the fatherland, emigrated to the United States with his wife and family in 1866. They located in Scott County where he and his elder sons
worked as farm hands for a time. In 1870 he was able to buy forty acres of land which he cultivated for five years, then disposing of it he came to Carroll County. He bought eighty acres of land in Washington Township which he operated until his retirement about 1884 to Manning, where he passed away on the 6th of December 1889. Mrs. Hoffmann survived until the 11th of December 1896. They were both members of the Lutheran Church, and in politics he was a Democrat. They were the parents of six children, all of whom are residents of Manning: Margaret, the wife of Henry SEVERS; Wiebke, who married Christian GRUBE; John, who is engaged in the lumber business; Carson, our subject; Frauke, the wife of Henry HERMAN; and Henry, who is a retired businessman.
    A youth of fifteen years when his parents emigrated to this country, Carson HOFFMANN had acquired his education in the schools of Germany. During the early years of their residence in Iowa, he worked out as a farm hand but in 1875, together with his father, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Washington Township, Carroll County. He cultivated his land with growing success, adding to his holdings at divers times, until he acquired two hundred forty acres of fine farming land. He cleared and improved his property, bringing his fields to a high state of cultivation. In 1893 he withdrew from active farming and came to Manning, where he is now living retired.
    Mr. Hoffmann, who has married twice, chose for his first wife Miss Margaret ROHNFERDT, their union being solemnized on the 28th of February 1880. She was a daughter of Fred and Margaret (JENK) ROHNFERDT, natives of Schleswig-Holstein, from which country they emigrated to the United States, locating in Clinton County, Iowa. There Mrs. Hoffmann was born on the 3d of March 1864, being reared on the farm which her father cultivated for many years. The parents were both members of the Lutheran Church, and Mr. Rohnferdt fraternally was identified with the Masonic Order and the Knights of Pythias, while he voted with the democrats. To Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann was born one daughter, Dora, the wife of Louis HACKMANN, of Des Moines, Iowa, and the other of three children: Roy, Evelyn and Earl. His first wife passing away on the 6th of June 1892, Mr. Hoffmann was again married on the 2nd of April 1894, to Miss Margaret SCHLAPKOHL, widow of Henry SCHLAPKOHL and a daughter of Hans and Cecelia (URBAN) LUETJE. They were also natives of Schleswig-Holstein, where they resided until 1874, when the mother emigrated to this country with her family, the father, who was a molder in a foundry, having died in Germany.
    Both Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann hold membership in the Lutheran Church and fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Ever since granted the right of franchise, Mr. Hoffmann has cast his ballot for the Democratic candidates and served for one year as school director. During the period of his agricultural activity, he met with a degree of success which now makes it possible for him to live retired, having acquired a competence which provides himself and wife with all the comforts of life. (END)

 

Volume II, Page 190:
JOHN HOFFMANN, who for more than twenty years has been identified with the lumber business in Manning, was born in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 23d of November 1848, and is a son of John and Frauke (THEDE) HOFFMANN. The parents were also natives of Schleswig-Holstein, the birth of the father having occurred on the 3d of December 1818 and that of the mother on the 23d of March 1818. Accompanied by his wife and family, John Hoffmann emigrated to the United States in 1866, arriving here on the 3rd of July. They located in Scott County, Iowa, where the father worked as a farm hand for three years, although in the old country he had followed the carpenter's trade. In 1869 he bought forty acres of land which he cultivated for five years and then disposed of to come to Carroll County. Here he purchased eighty acres in Washington Township, continuing its cultivation until his retirement about 1884, when he and his wife removed to Manning. Here he passed away on the 6th of February 1889, while the mother survived until the 11th of December 1896. They were both members of the German Lutheran Church, and his political support Mr. Hoffmann accorded the Democratic party. They were the parents of six children: Margaret, the wife of Henry Severs; Wiebke, who married Christian Grube; John, who is our subject; Carson; Frauke, the wife of Henry Herman; and Henry, a retired businessman. All are now residents of Manning.
    The education of John Hoffmann was acquired in the schools of Germany, after the completion of which he became a sailor on the Eider River. He emigrated to the United States with his parents, being at that time eighteen years of age, working as a farm hand until the fall of 1875. Coming to Carroll County at that time, he became associated with George TANK, and for six years thereafter they ran a threshing outfit. In 1881 they also engaged in the lumber business, which enterprise they conducted in partnership until 1897, when Mr. TANK withdrew from the company. Mr. Hoffmann then took his sons into the business with him, continuing under the firm name of Hoffmann & Sons.
    Mr. Hoffmann was married on the 30th of August 1871 to Miss Magdalena Tank, a daughter of Christian and Franke (LUTZE) TANK, of Manning. Both Mr. and Mrs. Tank were natives of Schleswig-Holstein, the father's natal day having been the 1st of December 1826, and that of the mother the 1st of May 1828. The father engaged in farming in the old country until 1868, when he emigrated
with his wife and family to the United States, locating in Scott County, Iowa. He continued to follow agricultural pursuits there until 1875, at which time he removed to Carroll County, purchasing 160 acres of land in Washington Township. He retired to Manning about 1887, and there he passed away on the 28th of November 1907, but his wife survived until the 28th of October 1909. They were both members of the Lutheran Church and in politics he was a Democrat. To Mr. and Mrs. Tank there were born four children: George, who is a resident of Manning; Magdalena, now Mrs. Hoffmann, who was born in Schleswig-Holstein on the 4th of September 1855; Christian, who is a resident of Washington Township; and Caroline, wife of August SCHROEDER of Crawford County.
    The family of Mr. and Mrs.. Hoffmann numbering ten, of whom four are deceased, is as follows: Herman, who is living in Manning; Henry and Amelia, both of whom are deceased; Clara, wife of A. W. WHEELER of Hanford, California; Henry, who is engaged in the hardware business in Harlan; Rosa,, who is at home; John and Louis, deceased; and Frank and Harry, also at home. On the 14th of October 1878, Mr. Hoffmann's house in Washington Township was destroyed by a tornado, at which time his son Henry was killed.
    Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann affiliate with the Lutheran Church; fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Rebekah Lodge. Politically he is a Democrat, and for fourteen years served as a member of the town council. Mr. Hoffmann has always directed his life in accordance with high ideals of activity and integrity and is esteemed as one of the progressive citizens of the community. (END)

 

Volume II, Page 285:
HENRY HOFFMANN, who for 26 years was engaged in the mercantile business in Manning, but is now living retired, was born in Elsdorf, province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 25th of April 1860. He is a son of John and Frauke (THEDE) HOFFMANN, who were natives of the same province, the father having been born on the 6th of December 1818 and the mother in 1818, her natal day having been the 23d of March. Mr. Hoffmann, who was a carpenter by trade, emigrated to the United States in 1866, arriving here on the 3d of July. He located in Scott County, Iowa, during the first three years of his residence, working as a farm hand. In 1869 he bought 40 acres of land which he disposed of later and removed to Carroll County in 1875. In the same year, he purchased 80 acres in Washington Township, which he operated until his retirement about 1884, when he and his wife removed to Manning. Here Mr. Hoffmann passed away on the 6th of February 1889, but she survived until the 11th of December 1896. They were the parents of six children, the order of their births being as follows: Margaret, the wife of Henry Severs of Manning; Wiebke, who married Christian Grube of Manning; John, a businessman of Manning; Carson, also a resident of this town; Frauke, the wife of Henry Herman, of Manning; and Henry, our subject. Both parents were members of the German Lutheran Church and he cast his ballot for the men and measures of the Democratic party.
    As he was only a lad of six years when his parents emigrated to the United States, Henry Hoffmann acquired his education in the common schools of Scott County, during which time he also gave his father such assistance with the work of the farm as his time and strength would permit. On leaving the old homestead in 1877, he went to West Side, Crawford County, Iowa, where he clerked in the store of Weidling & Evers, remaining with them until coming to Manning in 1881. Here he engaged in merchandising on his own account until 1907, when he sold his business to the firm of Rober, Wehrman & Company.
    Mr. Hoffmann was married on the 17th of September 1882 to Miss Anna Peters, a daughter of Mrs. Margaret (Von Bergen) Peters of West Side, Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann were born four children: Emil, who is deceased; Amanda, the wife of Dr. Julius J. Miller of Manning; Laura, who is resident of Omaha, Nebraska; and William, who is also deceased. The wife and mother passed away on the 12th of June 1889, and on the 10th of February 1891, Mr. Hoffmann was married to Miss Eliza Schmidt, daughter of Henry and Minnie (Pruhs) Schmidt, of Manning, and of this union there have also been born four children: Emil W., who is on the United States Steamship Maryland; Louie, who is deceased; Hilda, also deceased; and Walter J., who is at home.
    The church affiliation of the family is with the Lutheran denomination, while fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Bellows of which organization he is treasurer. His political support Mr. Hoffmann has always given to the men and measures he deems best qualified to protect the interests of the majority, irrespective of party. He is now living retired, enjoying the ease and comfort denied him during the strenuous years of his business activity. (END)

 

Volume II, Page 53:
HON. FRANK M. POWERS, The territory of the judicial district of which Carroll County is a part also includes the counties of Greene, Crawford, Ida, Sac and Calhoun, thus embracing one of the most important sections of Iowa and involving the settlement of litigation effecting many valuable interests. Hon. Frank M. Powers, the present incumbent of the office, is now serving his third term and has so acquitted himself as to merit the confidence and respect of his brethren at the bar and of the people of the district. He was born at West Troy, New York, September 4, 1851, a son of Patrick Hayes and Catharine (HARRINGTON) POWERS, both of whom were born in Ireland. They were married in their native land and came to America about 1844, taking up their residence at Albany, New York. Later they moved to Ohio and in the early part of the 50's arrived in Iowa, locating in Black Hawk County on a piece of wild land which Mr. Powers developed into a productive farm. Subsequently,
he moved to Buchanan County and purchased eighty acres of land west of Independence, upon which he established his homestead. There were nine children in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Powers: Maggie, who is the wife of A. STRONG, of Lake City; Hon. Frank M., of this review; John A., who is deceased; James N., who lives at Greenriver, Utah; Henry A., of Emmetsburg, Iowa; Joseph W., who is deceased; Etta, who is a teacher in the schools of Salt Lake City; Nellie M., a teacher of Spokane, Washington; and Lizzie, who is deceased. The father of these children learned the cooper's trade in his early manhood but devoted the principal part of his life to farming, in which he gained a fair measure of success.
    Frank M. POWERS came to Iowa with his parents in his infancy and spent his boyhood days in Buchanan and Black Hawk Counties. He attended the old-fashioned district schools in the winter seasons and during the summer assisted his father upon the home farm. After arriving at the age of sixteen, he attended school at Jesup and LeClaire, Iowa, and, having decided to devote his attention to the study of law, entered the office of Bruckart & Ney, of Independence, Iowa, where he continued for two years, then becoming a student in the law department of the Iowa State University in 1878. He practiced for one year at Jesup and, perceiving the importance of a wider field, removed to Carroll in 1880, where he has since maintained his home. His abilities soon gained recognition, and he secured a lucrative and growing clientage. In 1902 he was elected district judge and was reelected in 1906 and 1910, his present term and impartiality have won the hearty approval of the best citizens irrespective of party, and his decisions have almost uniformly been sustained by the higher courts.
    On the 3d of October 1882, Judge Powers was married to Miss Sarah DOHERTY, who was born in Illinois. She lost her parents early in life and became a resident of Carroll County, Iowa. One daughter, Edith, has come to brighten the home of Judge and Mrs. Powers. She is now a student of the Carroll High School. Judge Powers is not a member of any religious denomination but his
wife is identified with the Methodist Church. He is prominently connected with the Masonic Order, holding membership in Signet Lodge, A. F.&A. M., Copestone Chapter, R. A. M., and Rose Croix Commandery No. 38, K. T.
    Politically he is a Republican. A man of high scholarship and practical ability as a lawyer, he achieved success in his profession and is recognized as one of the thoroughly competent judges of the state. He is a close student and, as he possesses those sterling traits of character which everywhere attract confidence and regard, he enjoys in an unusual degree the respect of all with whom he comes into contact. (END)
 

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives