If you have information to share, please contact the County Coordinator.
FROM THE PRESS!
Transcribed by Joe Conroy
A Magnificent County and a Thriving, Model Town.
Hints to Homeseekers in the West—Carroll the Gem of the Prairie and Queen of the Slope.
[Written by T. E. Palmer and Fred Lyman.]
Eastern reader, occupant of an Indiana, Michigan or other "clearing" with roots and stumps extending nearly or quite across a forty acre field, and with stones forever crowding their way to the surface, why longer tarry in your sorry condition while land already cleared, with soil as fertile as the earth affords, can be had in the American Great West, almost for the asking?
'Twas an appropriate motto that of Michigan—"If thou seekest a beautiful peninsula, behold it here." But Michigan is not alone in this respect. Natural beauty-spots adorn the land from the Lakes to the Pacific, dissimilar in character, however—for nature never produces two things precisely alike—no two drops of water, no two blades of grass, no two forest leaves, no two grains of sand, and so on to the end of the chapter.
THE AMERICAN GREAT WEST,
what is it? It is first and foremost a land of stupendous possibilities. It is a land of lakes, mountains and rivers, unequalled in sublimity and magnitude by anything of similar character on the Eastern Continent. It is a land of water-falls sixteen times the height of Niagara; and of trees from thirty to forty feet in diameter, with bark two feet in thickness, each trunk of which if hollowed to a shell would hold more freight than a man-of-war, or a firstclass ocean steamer, 250 feet long; and upon the stump of which, if smoothly cut off fifty horses could easily stand, or sixteen couples conveniently dance. It is a land reaching from the Mississippi river to the Pacific slope—an empire with resources as boundless as its limits, and with growth as marvelous as its own immensity; an empire so large that men perish with cold at one end of it while they suffocate with heat at the other. It is the wonderland of today, whereas scarce a generation ago it was as much an unknown land as that of Central Africa before the days of Livingstone or Stanley.
Less than forty years ago the Mississippi constituted our western boundary line of settlement; and sixty-two years ago railroads were unthought of here; and the entire country had barely twenty-three miles of railway five years later. New York City had fewer inhabitants then than Chicago has now, and Chicago then was a nonentity, with nothing but marsh and bog to mark the site where the city now stands in all its imposing grandeur. Today there are in the country about 80,000 commercial salesmen on the road whose traveling expenses and salaries alone aggregate $200,000,000 a year. Again, the grain crop produced principally in the Northwestern States, amounted in 1885 to 53 bushels per head for every inhabitant of the United States.
OF THE PEOPLE OF THE NORTHWEST
it may be stated that there are all sorts here; people from the perpendicular regions of the East, and people from the horizontal districts of the West; people of wealth and people too poor to be decent; people of galvanized assurance, of guileless trust and of honeyed hypocrisy; people of homeopathic caliber—the nearest to nothing—not bad enough to abuse nor good enough to praise; people of pluck and push, rising at a bound from 30 degrees below zero to 130 degrees above, in the shade; people of visionary schemes, eternally engaged at boring big holes with little augers, and infected generally with all kinds of financial damphooleries; people of birth and breeding and people with no breeding whatever; people of fair ancestry and people with lineage waxed at the upper end; people in short, of every pecuniary grade or social distinction known to the aristocracy, democracy or theocracy.
Towns there are with names neither classical nor euphonious, that, for lack of enterprise, the citizens would do well to set fire to and then run away by the light of the blaze. There's a sameness and tameness about too many of them, with motto: "Every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost," that fails to attract capital, albeit three things are inevitable West as well as East—death, taxes and hotel bills. Reputation, if good, is equal to capital in bank—
as a town hadn't much of a habitation or a name in 1869—the year that the golden spike was driven on the Union Pacific railroad, and the year, also that one of the writers of this brief sketch donated to John H. Kelsey four bushels of box elder seed with which to plant the first cultivated grove in Carroll county. The grove itself today looms up in all its beauty a little to the northwest of town.
Since that date both town and county have made remarkable strides in all that pertains to material growth and greatness. But it is not so much of the county as of the town that we propose to write on this occasion. Commencing with the
of which Prof. H. E. Hammond is principal, we find on the north side, the following teachers:
1st Grammer, Miss Jennie Colclo; 2d Grammer, Mrs. J. C. Ford; Intermediate, Miss Flora Colclo; 1st Primary, Miss Jennie Niswonger; 2d Primary, Miss Cora Reynolds.
South Side—Intermediate, Miss Nettie Morrissey; 2d Primary, Miss Mabel Stack. Of
there are two, located in south Carroll. The first is connected with St. Joseph's Parish; the second occupying the seminary building between the churches. Both are presided over by the Sisters of St. Francis, of LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
The public school buildings, both brick structures, were erected at a cost of about $20,000, grounds included. In the line of
there are seven in all—Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Episcopalian, German and Irish Catholic, Evangelical and Lutheran. The German Lutheran and Christian denominations have societies here but no church edifices. Each contemplate building soon.
The Odd Fellows here number 40 members; Good Templars 98; Knights of Labor 100; Sons of Veterans 25; Order Eastern Star 75; Masons 75; G. A. R. 54; A. O. U. W. 10; V. A. S. 20.
Abstractors 4; agricultural implement dealers 2; attorneys 20; banks 3; bakery 1; blacksmith shops 4; billiard halls 3; bowling alley 1; barber shops 2; butter and egg packers 2; brick yards 2; boot and shoe stores, exclusive, 1; cigar factory 1; coal dealers 5; carpenter shops 3; cement moulder 1; drug stores 3; dress making establishments 3; dry goods stores exclusive 2; doctors 5; draymen 5; dentists 2; furniture stores 2; flouring mill 1; general stores 5; grain dealers 2; harness shops 2; gunsmith 1; grocers (exclusively) 5; hotels 7; hardware stores 3; importer of fine blooded horses 1; lunch rooms 2; livery stables 2; laundries 2; jewelry stores 2; land, loan and insurance agents 9; meat markets 3; millinery stores 2; monumental works 2; milk dealers 2; news depots 2; printers 9; planing mill 1; photographers 2; opera house 1; paint shops 2; printing offices 3; restaurants 2; shoe shops 3; stone and brick masons 5; tailor shops 3; wet groceries 8; wholesale liquor houses 5; wholesale grocer 1; weavers 2; ministers 10; architect 1.
In addition to these things Carroll has a population of 2,500; is the county seat of Carroll, one of the star counties of Iowa, distant from Clinton, on the Mississippi river, 253 miles, and from Council Bluffs, on the Missouri, 98 miles. The town has wide and handsomely shaded streets, lined on either hand with substantial sidewalks extending to every part and portion of the town. It has furthermore a fine system of water works as a protection of property against fire; and will shortly be illuminated with electric lights. Again, it is on the main Iowa line of the O. & N. W. Railway, with two branch lines extending from the town to the northwest and southwest—the first to Onawa, Sac City, Kingsley, etc., and the last to Audubon, Manning, etc. There is also a round house of fair dimensions here.
Among other attractions the Schutzenverein shooting club have 15 acres enclosed and a flue park started in the southwest part of town, where regular meetings are held once a month. Another feature is a commodious dancing hall and refreshment room. It numbers a membership at present of about fifty.
The German Verein, a literary, dramatic and singing society, having a choice library and departments for each branch of amusement or instruction, is another thing worthy of particular mention. It is increasing in membership rapidly.
The German cornet band, with silver instruments—one of the finest bands in the State—also the band stand in the public square, erected at a cost to the citizens here of $275 must not be overlooked, and neither must the well-drilled and elegantly equipped militia company "E," organized in 1883, with Geo. R. Cloud in command, and now numbering about 50 members. The soldiers' reunion here in August, last, to which the citizens contributed $1,500 for incidental expenses, is another item of credit as well as of patriotic well-being to the town, present and prospective, Carroll can afford to do some things that adjacent towns can't, for about 50 new buildings were erected during the past year,
to say nothing of numerous other improvements of equally mentionable character.
CARROLL'S EARLY HISTORY,
briefly stated, is this: On Nov. 22, 1858, John Slidell, U. S. senator from Louisiana, and a fiery rebel at that, together with Elisha Riggs, a rich New York banker, secured the land comprising the town site north of the track; while the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River Railway Company secured that south of it. At the breaking out of the war Slidell sold out to Riggs, and Riggs, in turn, conveyed his interest to John I. Blair. Mr. Blair, through certain agents had the north side platted early in the fall of 1867—and that is how the town took its start.
The following brief sketches or personal mentions consist mostly of a goodly number of Carroll's business men, county officials, and old settlers, however, quite a number were crowded out on the last day on account of space.
the present treasurer of Carroll county is a native of Prussia, born in 1844, came to this country in 1853, locating in Pennsylvania moving from there to Illinois in 1855, and to Iowa in 1856, became a resident of Carroll county in 1869—buying and breaking out his farm in Kniest township, the same year, being among the first settlers in that township. He followed the avocation of a farmer until 1883 when he received the nomination for treasurer at the hands of the Democrats and was defeated by a small majority against Wm. Ruggles, the Republican candidate, who afterwards defaulted and "skipped" the country. Mr. B. was then appointed by the board of supervisors to the office of treasurer, in July 1884, and in the fall of '84 he was elected to fill vacancy in same office, and again in 1885 he was renominated and elected on the Democratic ticket, the Republicans failing to nominate a man against him. Mr. Berger since his advent in to the office of treasurer of Carroll county has given such universal satisfaction that the voters at large feel confident that there will be no opposing candidates in the field against him at the conclusion of his present term. Besides proving himself an efficient official, Mr. Berger has become a substantial fixture in Carroll in a business sense having built a large two story brick business house 24x65. He also owns a brick store room in the rear of the new building which is 20x35. Mr. Berger has concluded to permanently locate here for the purpose of giving his children the full benefit of an education, or at least the best Carroll schools affords. His oldest daughter, Miss Mary, who is only 18, having already converted herself into a teacher, which ambition was only attained by perseverance and hard study.
C. D. DEWING,
Carroll's leading contractor, has succeeded in making himself known in this and adjoining localities by the manner in which he handles his work, which in itself demonstrates a redeeming trait in his makeup. Mr. Dewing has a faculty of executing the most difficult piece of work in his line, under the most discouraging circumstances, with level-headed coolness and consideration. The Griffith block—the finest building in town—and the Wright and Hastings business rooms, both facing Fifth street and built this season, are specimens of his handiwork and mechanical skill. When in want of something nice hunt up Mr. Dewing.
GEORGE MICKA & CO.,
the only exclusive dry goods house in Carroll, commenced business on Main street in 1885. Although, at the time, the undertaking of running an exclusive dry goods concern was considered by some as a hazardous undertaking, it has proved to be quite to the contrary as the public soon became convinced that this plan was the only correct one to insure general satisfaction to all, for no one can dispute that a merchant dealing in any exclusive line has the advantage of other business dealers, from the fact that he can put his undivided attention to that line, buy cheaper, keep his stock cleaner and in the end please his customers. At Micka & Co's. can be found a complete and well selected stock, gentlemanly clerks, and bottom prices. Their success since locating here is simply phenomenal.
CRATON C. COLCLO,
Carroll's present postmaster was born in 1853, and removed with his parents to Madison county, this State in 1856 and from thence to Carroll county—near Coon Rapids—in the year 1858 and four years later to Carrollton, then the county seat. In 1867 that family followed the county records to Carroll, where they erected the third or fourth building in the town. Mr. Colclo received the major part of his education in Carroll county but later turns up a graduate of Ames College. Besides being one of the oldest settlers of Western Iowa, he was honored with the nomination and election in 1881 to the office of county superintendent and was again returned in 1883, which position he held till July 1, 1885, when he was appointed postmaster of Carroll by President Cleveland, and on February 18, 1886 his appointment was confirmed by the Senate, at which time he was commissioned to said office for a term of four years. In his several official capacities he has ever served his constituents with credit.
F. M. LEIBFRIED,
auditor of Carroll county was born in the State of Maryland year 1847, removed to Wisconsin in 1851 and located in Iowa in 1879. He graduated at Eastman's College, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in 1876, but taught school seven years prior to his college course there. In the year 1880 after arriving in Carroll Mr. L. was secured as deputy county treasurer, which position he held for years and in 1883 he was nominated by the Democrats for the office of county auditor and again renominated by the same party in 1885—both times being elected by large majorities and running considerably ahead of his ticket on both occasions. Mr. Leibfried's popularity as an officer is demonstrated in the above allusions and only goes to show that the people are not always blind to their best interests. A more proficient officer than Mr. L. would be hard to find in Western Iowa.
C. S. WHITMAN,
who is considered the pioneer liveryman of Carroll, was born in the State of New York in the year 1822, removed to Iowa in 1859 and located in Carroll in 1874, engaging in the livery business which he has followed with its ups and downs patiently ever since locating here. His stables were consumed by the big fire in September '79, which crippled him financially considerably. But since that time he has steadily worked his way up through the several difficulties with noted coolness. Mr. Whitman has gradually filled his stable with good rigs and horses, besides he has done much to introduce fine bred horses into this section. He has quite recently brought in a fine bred trotting stallion, from Illinois, of the Hambletonian and Blue Bull blood. This horse is only four years old and is a perfectly free trotter by nature and with only six weeks handling has made a mile in 2:43 1/2. This horse has certainly a fine future before him.
the pioneer veterinary surgeon of Carroll county, was born in Canada 1819, acted in his professional capacity in the late rebellion with Colvan's battery, of Chicago. After the war 1865, he located in Sac and Carroll counties and established himself in Carroll in the practice of his profession in 1878 with permanent headquarters at Whitman's stables. Mr. Traner's wide experience in this line has made for him more than an ordinary reputation, and although he is getting along in years he is looked upon by the majority as the "old reliable" horse doctor of the slope.
JAMES N. POWERS,
our popular County Clerk, located in Carroll in 1880—engaging in the law business. He is a graduate of the law department of the Iowa State University '79 class. After plying his profession here for four years he was considered available as a candidate for the responsible office of County Clerk and was accordingly nominated by the Democrats, and elected in 1884 with ease. His popularity as an efficient official was very apparent in the conventions of both parties this year—being unanimously nominated by the Democrats, the Republicans not even putting a candidate in the field against him, which fact insures the people a competent officer for that place for the next two years.
GEORGE W. BOWEN,
whose birth place is Adrian, Michigan, located in Carroll in 1878. He was admitted to the bar in the spring of '78—being examined before Judge Reed. Mr. Bowen has been identified with the best interests of Carroll since his location here, and although low in finances at the commencement, he has by perseverance and hard work built up a good paying business besides being well situated financially—all of which he has acquired in the law, loan and collection business. He was once a member of Carroll's town council. Office in rear of Carroll County Bank.
J. A. ROHNER,
Carroll's pioneer photographer, first became a resident of this city in 1876—although not a continuous resident here since that time, he has succeeded in building up an enviable reputation as a first class operator in his line, and against adverse circumstances too. Mr. Rohner has traveled through the south and west the last several years for the purpose of obtaining all the available information in connection with the popular art of the age. A glance at his specimen case will satisfy the most fastidious that he is a thorough master of his profession. Gallery 1st door south of post office, up stairs.
DAVID H. PARK,
settled at Carroll in 1881, engaging in the agricultural implement business, which trade he has been connected with for a number of years before. Mr. Park's knowledge of this branch qualifies him to meet all the general wants of his customers, and he controls considerable territory in the jobbing and wholesale line. His main success is in handling the following specialties: The Henney buggies, Cooper and Harrison wagons, Buckeye mowers and binders, Brown planters and cultivators, Haworth and Brown checkrowers, and Sandwich corn shellers. By fair dealing and energy, Mr. Park has built up a mammoth business. His office is situated on Fourth street.
CHAS. L. BAILEY
removed from Ohio to this State in 1855, located at Toledo, where he studied law in the office of Allen & Struble. He removed to Carroll in the year 1870 and was examined and admitted to the bar in 1871, and was also elected justice of the peace, which office he filled in a acceptable manner for a period of seven years. He has thoroughly mastered the tedious task, or profession of short hand, and has acted as special examiner and stenographer for the Federal Court. He has also successfully reported the proceedings of the District and Circuit Courts in Carroll, Sac and Ida counties. This branch he is making a specialty of.
FRANK W. KRAUSE,
present Deputy County Treasurer, located in Carroll county at Mt. Carmel in the year 1870, and is classed as one of the early settlers. He started his career in this county as a farmer and school teacher. In 1876 he was appointed postmaster of Mt. Carmel, which position he held until 1884, at which time he resigned to take the place he so creditably fills in the County Treasurer's office. He is an affable gentleman, a good scholar, and a splendid servant of the people in his official capacity.
ED. F. RICHMANN,
proprietor of Cigar Factory No. 194, 3d Dist. of Iowa, learned his trade some years ago at Davenport, in which he became proficient enough to start in business for himself, locating first at Ida Grove from which point he removed to this city in Aug. 1885. He started in Carroll on a small scale, only employing one hand, and at this writing his business has increased to such magnitude that he now employs four men and is manufacturing at the rate of 200,000 cigars per annum, which only shows what indomitable push and energy will do. Mr. R.'s most popular 5c brands are "The Model," "Our Club," and "Little Pet." While his ten brands lead with "Cardinal" and "Spanish Beauty." His factory is located up stairs in the Berger building.
JOHN P. HESS
our present accommodating and proficient County Recorder, located in Carroll county in 1877, and followed the avocation of teaching school. He is a graduate of PioNono College of St. Francis, Wis., and Cornell College of Mt. Vernon, Iowa. In 1882 he was the choice of the Democratic convention for Recorder, and again in 1884 he was renominated by acclamation without opposition—both times being elected by large majorities, making himself four years the peoples' favorite servant. Had it not been for the four years rule of the Democratic party of this county, he would without a doubt been renominated and elected for a third term. No party can say ought against Mr. Hess as a gentleman and officer, and he will leave the office of Recorder with many friends and against the wishes of the masses.
S. E. MICHAM
opened up business in the clothing, furnishing goods, boot and shoe line in Mrs. Kniest's building a few doors west of his present location in partnership with John Jay in the fall of '83. He was formerly a resident of Chicago, where he was engaged in the stock and commission business. His business since locating in Carroll has increased at such a rapid rate that he was forced to seek larger quarters, and since his location in the Berger building it can be safely said that his trade has doubled, and the line he handles is three times larger than when he first started in business three years ago. Mr. M. has also been dealing in real estate in the shape of outlots in the north part of town, and since his venture in this line he has sold numerous lots on which there has been ten new residences built. This portion of the town, it is said, has improved more than any part of the town this year, and parties desiring a pleasant location will do well to secure one of these lots while they can be bought at a reasonable figure.
O. M. MOORE,
the boot and shoe man of Carroll, located at this point about four years ago. He has been engaged in the business, however, in the neighborhood of fifteen years, the experience of which alone ought to be a guarantee to the public that he is a thorough master of this branch. His store is pleasantly and centrally located on Fifth street. His stock consists, principally of first class goods and are warranted as represented and right here it would be well to note that Mr. Moore's store is the only exclusive boot and shoe and rubber goods establishment in Carroll and he also carries trunks and valises which fact gives him a decided advantage over all competition in his line. Mr. M. is a native of the "Hoosier" State, but was reared in the shoe business in Iowa.
ANDERSON & CO.,
the new drug firm who are nicely situated in the Kriebs Bros.' old stand, although but new comers, come prepared to face the music, fortified with one of the finest stocks of drugs, paints, oils, fancy and toilet goods ever brought to Carroll. Mr. Anderson hails from Denison where he was engaged in the business for a period of twelve years and is in every sense of the word an experienced and practical druggist. His whole endeavor is to carry a line of goods that will in every particular give satisfaction and to be up with the times is his motto. All are invited to call around and get acquainted and try the new store. Fine cigars a specialty and bear in mind also, that every article in this store is fresh and new.
Carroll county's very popular Sheriff, was born in Putnam county, Ohio, in 1843, served Uncle Sam three years in preserving the Union, removed to Roselle township, Carroll county, in 1869, when this section was wild and but thinly settled. His official career commenced as constable of Roselle township, when there was but nine voters in the precinct, and later he was elected assessor of the same township, and after serving his term in such capacity he removed to Carroll in the year 1874, and was the next year elected street commissioner, which was followed by his appointment as city marshal, which position he held for seven years, the exploits and experiences of which were somewhat notable as well as eventful. In 1885 he was nominated and elected to the office of sheriff on the Republican ticket, against one of Carroll county's strongest and most popular citizens on the other side. Mr. Todd has always proven himself a dutiful and proficient officer in his several positions, and justly deserves all the credit that has been bestowed upon him.
proprietor of Lynch's popular hotel, facing Fifth street in Carroll, located here in July 1869, engaged in the drug business which he followed till Jan. 1, 1875, at which date he assumed the duties of Clerk of the Courts, to which he was elected on the Democratic ticket, and filled for a period of five terms—10 years—as the people's faithful and popular servant. On the 15th of July '85, Mr. Lynch embarked in a new enterprise, that of assuming the responsible duties connected with running a first-class hotel. The experiment, however, has proven a success in Mr. Lynch's case, for he has in the period of a little over a year, built up an enviable reputation as a caterer to the many wants of the traveling public. His success has necessitated the remodeling of his house, and the building on of a large and conveniently arranged brick addition, which now takes the shape of the main part of the house. The new office, reception rooms and best bed rooms, now face the north directly in front of court house square, they are high, airy and well lighted, and when completed it will be the most comfortable hotel in western Iowa. As a host and hostess, Mr. Lynch and lady truly fill the bill, and all who stop at the Lynch will be loyally entertained and never go away hungry.
GRIFFITH & CO.,
who are located on the corner of Fourth and Adams streets, in the grocery queensware and provision business, are well and favorably known to the public. E. P. Griffith, whose name appears at the head of the firm, located in Carroll in 1868, when the town was very small indeed, while his partner, James Thompson, located here in 1875, following the grocery business till the present date. The present copartnership has existed since May 1884, and has been a very congenial one. While others have come and gone in the grocery line, Messrs Griffith & Co. have succeeded in building up a splendid trade, which can only be accounted for by the manner in which they treat their customers—everybody used white and every article sold promptly delivered within the city limits. Quick sales and small profits is an established motto with them.
THE FARMERS BANK,
with O. A. Kentner and G. W. Wattles at the head, has become one of the leading banking institutions of this part of Iowa. Mr. Kentner, its president, came to Carroll from Ohio in 1877 and engaged in the mercantile business which he followed until the organization of the Farmers Bank in Sept. 1883. G. W. Wattles, cashier, came to Carroll county in 1866 and lived on a farm ten years in Glidden township. From '76 to '83 he employed his time in attending college and teaching school, besides serving the people two years as county superintendent. In 1883 the Farmers Bank was organized with a capital of $20,000 and in 1884 Messrs. O. A. Kentner and G. W. Wattles became sole proprietors. One of the leading features of this bank is the Farm Loan department, in connection with which the Rochester Loan and Banking Co., of Rochester, N. H. has been organized. Over $50,000 of Eastern capital has been loaned through this institution in the last two months and over $500,000 since its organization. The Farmers Bank also does a large real estate business and pays especial attention to collections; its general banking business is daily increasing and its present capital stock is over $35,000 which places it abreast with the leading banking firms of this part of the West.
LOUIS T. ANDERSON,
the pioneer harness maker of this county located in Carroll in 1877. He was born in Denmark in 1851 and learned his trade in Webster City, Iowa. Mr. Anderson started in business on a moderate scale, striking Carroll when the country was comparatively new and trade considered very good—at any rate there was more money afloat. By his continuous perseverance, hard work and unquestionable integrity he has succeeded in building up a merited and prosperous business. He now employs three hands besides himself in the shop and his salesrooms are packed full near to the top of first class stock, consisting principally of harness of all kinds, saddles, blankets, trunks, and winter goods such as robes and horse blankets.
These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project,
a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information. Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer — all of which apply to Carroll Co.