Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.

 

Carroll County Schools
 

Page designed an donated by Ralph Leonard III

Note: Unless otherwise indicated, the pictures found on
these pages have been donated by an unknown individual.
Their contribution to this site is greatly appreciated.

Carroll Normal School

 

 

Located at 15th street across from St. Lawrence this school was erected in 1890 as the Carroll Normal School and set on five acres.  Prior to that the Normal school was located at the old Colclo Hotel at Adams and 6th street.  Primary purpose was to give teachers already in possession of a certificate additional training.  The cost was eight dollars per term.  Classes offered were Latin, German, French, Greek, Mathematics, Penmanship and Elocution (now known as Speech).  In 1893 at the peak of the school historical attendance there were 159 full-time students.  In 1897 Dr. A. L. Wright bought the building for $4,236.00.  The original photo may be seen at the the Carroll Historical Museum.

 

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives