More Carroll County
These biographies are from an
The efforts of the transcriber and generosity of
the submitted are greatly appreciated!
W. E. Foster
The subject of this sketch was born in Clark county, Ohio, Sept.
25, 1860. At the age of 12 entered the drug business with his uncle at Wilmington, Delaware
removing to Woodstown, New Jersey, in 1875 and to
Iowa in 1878, when he clerked for Dr. Dunkle in his drug store for a couple of
years. Buying out the Hoskins drug store in 1881, he entered into business
Mr. Foster was a registered pharmacist
of New Jersey at the age of 17; passing examination at Salem in that state, also
registered by examination in Iowa in as built a quite a successful business in Glidden and the most complete and
elegant drug stocks in this part
Has served the town in the capacity of
councilman, recorder, mayor and has been elected three consecutive times as a
member of the board of education, is a member
of Philo Lodge. No. 2291 I. O. O. F.: Glidden Lodge No. 27k of P.: Of Haggi
Lodge, No. 369 A. F. and A.M. and Cope Stone Chapter, No. 79 R. A. M.
His business location is one of the
oldest in Glidden. and has been occupied by him for 17 years, except for a few
months in 1884 when he was compelled to move on account of a disastrous fire.
W. L. Culbertson
R. E. Coburn
First National Bank of Carroll
This is the oldest financial institution in Carroll County.
The nucleus of this bank was formed in 1808 when the banking house of O. H.
Manning was established. Under the original caption the bank was conducted
until 1876 when Mr. W. L. Culbertson purchased the interest of Mr. Manning and
established the Bank of Carroll which he conducted until 1883 when Mr. Macomber
and Mr. Coburn became associated with him. In 1889 the First National Bank
of Carroll was organized by Mr. G. W. Wattles and others with a capital stock of
$50,000 which in 1892 was increased to $100,000.00. In 1895 Messrs
Culbertson, Macomber and Coburn the proprietors of the Bank of Carroll purchased
the entire stock of the First National Bank consolidating the two institutions,
making it one of the most important financial concerns of this section of the
state. The present officers and directors are W. L. Calbertson, President
and Director; H. W. Macomber, Vice-President and Director; Robert E. Coburn,
Cashier and Director; James E. Griffith, Director; Chas. Walterscheid, of Halbur,
Director. The bank has always maintained the most liberal policy.
The capital surplus and undivided profits aggregate nearly $120,000.00.
Mr. W. L. Culbertson, the president of the bank was born in
Pennsylvania, Dec. 3rd, 1844. Two years later his parents moved to
Philadelphia where they resided until 1860 when they came to Iowa, locating in Scott County. The business career of our subject was begun in
Scott county, and in 1869 he came to Carroll. Two years later he was
nominated on the republican ticket to the office of county auditor to which he
was elected and re-elected two years later, In '74 and '75 he filled the
position of County Treasurer. January 1st, 1876 he retired from the
Treasurer's office and purchased the banking interest of O. H. Manning and
organizing the Bank of Carroll which he conducted alone until 1883 when he
became associated with Mr. Coburn and Mr. Macomber.
In 1883 he was a member of the Iowa Legislature from Carroll
county. He has several times been elected to fill local offices and has
never faltered in the faithful discharge of all duties incumbent upon him.
Some years ago he had erected and elegant home which is considered one of the
finest in the city. In all matter of public interest or improvement he is
a strong supporter and gives liberally his time and funds for the development of
the public interest.
Return to Index