More Carroll County
These biographies are from an
The efforts of the transcriber and generosity of
the submitted are greatly appreciated!
The Iowa Southwestern Railroad was laid across Warren
township in the southwesterly discretion in 1880. When the following year
the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Co. built it's line to Omaha through
the southern part of Carroll county it was perceived that the intersection of
the two roads was a favorable sight for a new town. The land that was laid
out as a town was selected by O. H. Manning, then a Carroll agent for the
officials of the St. Paul Railroad Company. The latter named the place in
honor of Mr. Manning. About 160 acres on the south half of section 16,
Warren township was laid out into lots, the first of which was sold July 28, 1881
to J. L. Weatherill of Carroll.
Manning's school building is a frame structure in the
northeast part of town and gas built in 1883 at the cost of $7,000. It is
two stories in height and contains six rooms. Four teachers were employed
at first and now six are found necessary.
There are three organization represented the M. E.,
Presbyterian and the Catholic. All are in prosperous condition.
Manning has several societies all of which are in good
prosperous condition. Some of the more important are Manual Lodge No 450,
AF & AM; Manning Lodge No 122 I.O.O.F.; McPherson Post No 33, GAR; Manning Lodge No
262 A.O.U.W.; and the Manning Union Fair and Driving Park Association.
The growth of the town has been steady and kept pace with the
development of the surrounding country the population now being about 1,600.
James L. Martin
James L. Martin was born in Mt. Pleasant, Henry county,
Iowa, May 25th 1866. He attended the public schools in his native town
until he arrived at the age of twelve when he entered Howe's Academy, a noted
institution of south-eastern Iowa and finished the prescribed course in three
years, graduating in 1882, being especially proficient in English and the Latin
language. He taught school three years and then entered the Iowa Western
University until the summer of 1892. In the fall of 1892 he abandoned the
profession of teaching and entered the law department of the State University of
Iowa and took a course of law graduating with honors in June 1894 and receiving
the degree of L. L. B. bachelor of laws and was admitted to practice in the
state and federal courts. In August of the same year he opened a law
office in Carroll and is considered one of the most progressive members of the
Carroll county bar. In politics he is a republican and an ardent admirer
of President McKinley having gone in St. Louis to see him nominated.
Return to Index