More Carroll County Biographies
biographies are from an unknown source.
The efforts of the transcriber and generosity of
the submitted are greatly appreciated!
W. E. Sherlock
The Manning Monitor is among the best and most
established newspapers of Carroll county, It is in it's 18th year and has
gradually grown in public favor until it is now firmly fixed as one of the land
marks of Manning. It enjoys a great circulation and a liberal advertising
patronage and its editor has the confidence of his entire community. Mr.
W. E. Sherlock the present editor and proprietor was born in Lancaster, Iowa
Sept. 24, 1873. When a boy of three years of age his parents moved to Aurora, Neb.
where he lived till '78 when they moved to Oberlin, Kansas. While there
Mr. Sherlock attended the Oberlin Academy and after graduating he took a
business course. In 1888 he returned to Lancaster, Iowa and taught school
several years. In 1895 he accepted the position of principal of the
Keswick School. He then served as deputy treasurer in that county and
resigned that possession to take charge of the Manning Monitor, Sept 1st, 1897.
Mr. Sherlock was married Aug. 13, 1893 to Miss May Long of Lancaster. They
have two children, Chesla a boy of three and Altha a girl of one year.
Wm. H. Smith
Was born October 26, 1865 at Franklin Grove, Illinois and at 9
years of age attended the Kinsey school at Chicago after which he worked for A.
R. Whitney of Franklin Grove until November, 1882 when he came to Carroll and
took a position with J. R. Whitney in the wholesale fruit and cigar business.
In 1888 he interested himself with Sam Todd in the lunch counter. About a
year later he sold out and assumed to management of Squire T. Harvey's branch
wholesale liquor house in Carroll. In 1892 Mr. Smith bought the business
which he has since conducted. In December 1894, Mr. Smith was married to
Miss Tina Meyers of Wheatland township and is pleasantly located in the second
ward of the city. "Billy" as he is familiarly known is one of the best
known men in the county. He has a knack of acquiring friends wherever he
goes and is a jolly whole-souled fellow who has a pleasant word for everybody
with whom he comes in contact.
Among the leading wholesale establishments of the city we are
pleased to note the wholesale liquor house and bottling works of Mr. George
Seizer. The bottling department was established twelve years ago and has
continually been increased in capacity. All temperance drinks are
manufactured which product finds its way through the territory tributary to this
Four years ago Mr. Selzer added a wholesale liquor department
together with the agency of the Pabst Brewing Company of Milwaukee. His
trade has increased in such proportions that he is recognized as one of the
largest jobbers in Carroll.
The secret of his success evidently comes from the superior
quality of the goods he manufactures and the push and enterprise he employs to
introduce them to the public. He is a liberal advertiser and always
furnishes the customer just what he agrees to.
He carries a large stock of liquors in both bulk and barrel
which are known for their superior strength and purity of quality.
Mr. Selzer was born in Germany in 1855. When fourteen
years old he came to the Untied States, locating in Iowa. Before coming to this
city he was engaged in the mercantile business. Twelve years ago he
located in Carroll at which time the nucleus for this present business was
formed which has increased to such flattering proportions. Mr. Selzer is
recognized as one of Carroll's most substantial reliable citizens and has
established a reputation for honorable business dealings.
His home an illustration of which we publish ranks with the
finest in the city.
Mr. Simon is so well known to the public of Carroll that it is
hardly necessary to introduce him yet we feel that our work would hardly be
complete without it. Mr. Simon has been engaged in the clothing business
in Carroll since 1886 and has acquired the distinction of being one of the most
reliable merchants doing business here. He expects to leave the clothing
trade the first of May and take up that of real estate loans and insurance.
Mr. Simon was born in Germany but came to this country in 1868.
He is an extensive owner of real estate; is one of the heaviest holders of stock
in the Carroll Investment company and owns an interest in a clothing store at
Ida Grove. In all his business enterprises he shows himself to be an able
financier. In the new business that he expects to enter he will evidently
be as successful as in those of the past.
The wholesale house of the Standard Oil Company at this point, is one of the
heaviest business enterprises in the city. A distributing point was located here
about eighteen years ago, and since then the business has gradually increased,
until it is estimated by the manager that they handle over 100,000 gallons of
refined oils alone, every month. Two years ago the plant, a picture of which we
publish on this page, was built. In this building all of this vast amount of oil
is handled by steam pumps which draw the oil from the tank on the cars through
pipes laid under ground to the tanks on the plant and from those, like tanks are
filled for local distribution. This point is the distributing station for
seventy seven towns in western Iowa. Besides this there are six local tank lines
in this vicinity furnished oil, each of which furnish several other smaller
towns. Besides refined oils, they also handle all kinds of lubricating oils,
greases, candles and a full line of specialties.
Mr. Geo. W. Watts, the manager of this plant, was born in Pennsylvania, July
17, 1864. He came to Des Moines in 1877 and made that city his home till coming
to Carroll in 1894. He has been in the employ of the Standard Oil Company since
1890, three years and a half at Des Moines and the same period at Carroll. Mr.
Watts was married in 1886 to Miss Mattie Kelsey, of Albia, Iowa. They have one
child, a little girl seven years old. Mr. and Mrs. Watts are very prominent
socially in our city. Mrs. Watts being a lady of rare accomplishments and one of
the leaders of the Clio Club holding the office of treasurer. Her portrait will
be found on another page with the other officers of the club.
Transcribed By: Sandra Carter IAGENWEB volunteer
Return to Index