HISTORY OF CARROLL COUNTY, IOWA
The County Itself
The Press in Carroll
Towns of Carroll County
Township Map Circa 1955
[Click to Enlarge]
History of our Towns:
Current Towns, Communities, & Townships
Towns with Post Offices
Arcadia .. Templeton ..
Coon Rapids ..
Dedham .. Newton ..
Glidden .. Halbur .. Roselle
Lidderdale .. Sheridan .. Manning
without Post Offices
Maple River ..
Wheatland .. Carroll .. Washington .. Eden
Ralston .. Green .. Grant .. Union
Ewolt .. Richland .. Newton
Pleasant Valley .. Sheridan .. Jasper
Abandoned Towns & Villages
In the northeast corner of section 3, Glidden Township, Post office 1893-1900.
In section 12, Sheridan Township, Post office 1871-89.
The name applied to the present city of Carroll from the time of it's
establishment in 1867 to about 1875.
In the southeast part of section 36, Pleasant Valley Township, and the
northeast part of section 1, Newton Township. It was the first county seat of
Carroll County from the county's establishment in 1856 until 1867, and was a
town of importance in those days. Post office 1859-1903.
Grove: Slightly northwest of the central part of Union Township, as shown on
maps from 1863 to 1868.
Slightly north of the central part of Wheatland Township, as shown on maps
In the northeast corner of section 16, Eden Township. Post office 1873-81
Pleasant Valley Township
In section 17, Jasper Township, on the North Coon River. The U. S. Official
Register lists it as a post office in 1861 and it is carried on the maps from
In section 21, Sheridan Township. A small village. Post office, 1893-1900.
In section 16, Pleasant Valley Township. Post office, 1869-71.
In southeastern part of section 22, Union Township, as shown on maps of 1868.
The post office (1876-1900) at the village of Hillsdale, which see above,
The name first given to the present town of Arcadia.