Visit the IAGenWeb!Visit the USGenWeb! Carroll County, Iowa
IAGenWeb  Project
Carroll County Genealogy

If you have information to share, please contact the  County Coordinator.

 

Arcadia

Arcadia is a town rich with history and pride, which is clearly apparent with a simple visit.  I met some of the nicest people while touring this town.  Everyone was quite helpful and full of information regarding their town, it's people and the history.  Well Done!  S. M.

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Isaac Newton Voris, founder of Arcadia in vested all his money from business in California to develop Arcadia Township.  The town was platted in June 1871 and recorded at Carroll. Son, Floyd, was the first baby born in that township. Read more below.

 

If you have family in this area you should get a copy of this book!  Family and town history, as well a many many photos.

    


 
ARCADIA
Isaac N. Voris laid out a village in 1872 on the highest land on the entire line of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in the State of Iowa, and gave it the appropriate name of " Tip-Top." H. E. Carpenter bought the first lot (lot 13, block 13), and put up a building in which he conducted a general store for two years. The place is now the site of a saloon. The second store was erected in the spring of 1873, by Lampman Bros. Before there was any thought of a village, however, there were in this neighborhood the dwellings of I. N. Voris, L. J. Larnpson, S. W. Lampson, William Bellvale and John Benson, Philip Hense and Henry Benke came in 1873, and were partners of Lampson Bros. In the fall came a man named Gilger, and started a grocery in the southwest part of town, in Lampson's building. They afterward built on Main street. James Carroll came in 1874 and bought the dwelling formerly occupied by Mr. Voris, who built the house he now occupies. Mr. Voris suggested the name of Arcadia, which was adopted in place of " Tip Top." Arcadia acquired its principal growth in the first four years. The census of 1880 gave the village 426 inhabitants. In 1885 the population was 454.
 


INCORPORATION
The town of Arcadia has had a legal organization since 1881. D. J. McDongall was the first mayor. The present officers (1886-'87) are: Mayor, H. F. Arff; Recorder, II. Pruter; Trustees, D. H. Moore, T. Koepke, P. Appel, D. Erp, Jr., F. Hagen and C. H. "Westbrook; Marshal, B. H. Bruening; Street Commissioner, William Bargtriedt; Treasurer, C. H. Westbrook; Assessor, Charles Lahan.
 

Post Office


POSTMASTERS
Isaac N. Voris was the first appointee of Uncle Sam's mail service at Arcadia, which was made a post office in 1872. He has been followed successfully by H. C. Newton, H. E. Carpenter, J. M. Locke, John R. Benson, H. E. Carpenter and C. H. Westbrook, who was appointed in 1885.


Town triangle decorated by the Arcadia Betterment Committee

 


BUSINESS DIRECTORY
Arciulift (?) business firms in December, 1886, are: ? &;H. Altmans, Arcadia Hotel; Peter Appel, wagon shop; F. D. Bohr, barber shop;   Book, hardware; D. Bornholdt, agricultural implements; H. E. Carpenter, hardware; L. R. Curran, Bank of Arcadia; C. A. Daniels, ? grain; Erp Bros., general store; Claus Erp, lumber; J. B. H. Feenstra, drugs; Mrs. J. B.  Feenstra, millinery; Hoch & Gabel, general store; D. Joyce, lumber; C. Jentsch, & music hall; Peter Klein, harness; Frank Koepke, blacksmith; Theo. Lampman, general store; D. J. McDougall, grain; D. II. Moore, general store; A. Oelkers, saloon and restaurant; Peters & Bornholdt, millinery; H. F. Radden, shoes; Miss Mary Reiff, millinery; William Richards, meat market; Frank J. Rogers, station agent; M. F. Schmalfeldt, blacksmith; C. H. Westbrook, post office and drug store.

Bank

 


 

SCHOOL
A school-house was built in 1873, 22 x 30 feet, containing one room. In 1881 extensive additions were made, so that there are now three rooms. As many teachers are employed, those for 1886-'87 being C. S. Tarbox principal; Miss E. H. Gabel, intermediate; Miss Annie E. Reed, primary. The director* for this year are: John Walsh (President), J. B. H. Feenstra, C. A. Beitennan, J. Klespies, L. R. Curran and Frank Ilagen; George Hock is Secretary, and D. 11. Moore, Treasurer. The enrollment for 1885-'86 wan 187; average attendance, 84J. The aggregate expenditure for school purposes are $2,100.
 

                   

Shooters Outlet and Tip Top Quilt

Shooters Outlet owned and operated by Tony and Deb Vonnahme

CHURCHES
Catholic Church.—The church used by the Catholics at this place was built in 1874.

 

Elementary Ar-We-Va

Country Store

American Legion

Tri-County League of Champs. 1923-24

Manager Joe Rehker, Bill Garrels, Henry Evers, Ed Hagge, Aloysius Naber, Joe Berg, Umpire W. M. Maher

G. W. Evers, Ed Hennings, Earl Hagerty, John Manneman, Harry Hagge, A. J. Hagge, Geo. Manneman

Scorekeeper-J. F. Hagge, Mascot-Francis Noethe

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

H. F. Schroeder, Joe Schweers, Ted Staples, Gerd Hammers, Elmer Schroeder, Bernard Naber, Mike Booth, Ras Nelson, Gilbert Michael, Barney Vander Loo, Shorty Anderson, Val Naber, Harry Wood

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Peters Garage

Albert Berger, Phil Redig, Joe Lehrter, Emil Kaspersen, Henry Peters, Emil Peters

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

General Store

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Albert and Margaret Hannasch

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Barber Shop

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Billiard Hall

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Mr. Louis Diers daughter in 1912 at that time the owned and operated the phone company from their home.

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Jacob Redig's Cobbler Shop

Jacob left, Conrad Wollenbring right

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

BB team

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Depot

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

Elevator

Photo from: St. John Catholic Church 1875-1975

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb, solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright 1997 by IAGenWeb & the Contributor of the specific information.   Rootsweb Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  — all of which apply to Carroll Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Carroll Co. IAGenWeb Home                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from colorized penny postcards donated to the USGenWeb Archives