What's In a Name?
(Another in a series of articles on how towns in the Tri-State area got
The town of Ryan, la., was named after the Rev. P. H. Ryan, who served as
pastor of St. Patrick's Church from 1882 to 1908.
J. A. Thomas, A. A. Anderson and Arthur Flint platted the town in August,
1888. Early in 1901, Ryan was incorporated. In September of that year the
citizens voted to build a waterworks system. Necessary ground for this was
purchased for $350, and the pumphouse and works were constructed at a
cost of $5,000.
A volunteer fire department was then organized. In 1913 members of the
department built their own fire station.
Ryan is in Delaware County, about 54 miles southwest of Dubuque.
Submitted by Becky
on February 23, 2004.