HISTORIES OF DES MOINES COUNTY, IA
Thanks to Cay Merryman
Linton is located five miles northwest of Mediapolis, and was founded by John H. McElhiney.
John H. McElhiney, son of Robert McElhiney, born in Ireland in 1795, first saw the light of day in New York City July 9, 1827, and came to Iowa with his parents in 1841. They located in Louisa County, where Robert McElhiney still resides. In the spring of 1855, John H. McElhiney settled on 160 acres of land situated in the northwestern part of Yellow Springs Township. Afterward he added 80 acres to the 160. Previous to bringing his family on to the farm, he erected a comfortable frame house as a residence. In 1869, when the railroad running north and south, called B., C.R. & M., or Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Minnesota, was graded to where Linton now stands, Mr. McElhiney laid out a portion of his property, 14 acres, into townlots. He also presented the railroad company with 11 acres of ground, on condition that they build thereon a depot. This proposition was accepted, and the building was put up. The first buildings on the site of the prospective village was erected by John H. McElhiney, the same year the railroad-bed was graded, and one year prior to the coming of the first train. One of the buildings was occupied by M. Hughes as a wagon-makers shop, and the other as a residence by the same. In the fall of 1869, J. H. McElhiney, J. McElhiney and R.R. Armour opened in the depot building the first store in Linton, the firm being styled R.R. Armour & Co.
Linton has two general stores, one hotel, one blacksmith-shop, one shoemaker, on wagon-maker and one carpenter.
The children of Linton attend the District School No. 1, situated one mile west of the village and taught by W. W. Carithers.
The church-going people of Linton attend the Reformed Presbyterian Church, situated one and three-quarters mile southwest of the village, with Rev. T. P. Robb for Pastor.