HISTORIES OF DES MOINES COUNTY, IA
Thanks to Cay Merryman
In 1869, John M. Sperry located on Sections 12 and 13 in Franklin Township, and started the post-station of Sperry. Mrs. Sperry was the first woman to settle there, and B. M. Sperry the first child born in the place. The first marriage was that of Lander Roberts and Martha Milligan, solemnized by Mr. Sperry, as Justice of the Peace. There is one church society in the village, the Methodist. Services are held in Sperrys Hall. The Methodist Episcopals hold monthly services there. There are two general stores and the usual mechanical places of business.
Franklin Mills post office is located in this township.
The first child born in the township was W. H. Smith, son of Tillman Smith, in 1835. The first flouring-mill was built by Mr. Burmeister, and was modeled after the ancient wind-mills. The mill was constructed of stone, circular in form, and a genuine wind-mill. Many years were consumed in its erection, and the ruins of the old fortress-like edifice are to be seen at the present time. Modern improvements crowded out the primitive Dutch methods of making flour. The township was laid out in 1837, sectionized in 1838 and sold in 1839-40.