Dubuque Genealogy Coordinator
Logo by Ginger Cisewski
There is a township map, town map, and church location map at Maps for your convenience. The earliest dates of stones are listed below for each cemetery. There are some links to the cemeteries where patrons have contributed tombstone lists from personal archives. Such submissions are most welcome.
State Association for the Preservation of Iowa Cemeteries (SAPIC):
The following individuals have donated information for the following
cemeteries: Adrian Aitchison (deceased), Paul Neiers, Carl Neiers, Joy
Pealer, Vicki Schlarman (deceased), Tom
Schlarman, Jerry Schlarman, J. Biays Bowerman, Cindy Nielsen, Joan
Tallman, Stuart Higgs, Bonnie Davidson.
Tom Schlarman's Cemetery Lists by Townships can also be viewed at http://www.rootsweb.com/~iatpg.
Permission has been granted to use the information on the Dubuque County
Cascade Protestant Cemetery Association - Sec 36 - (Cascade City Cemetery)
St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery Association - Sec 36 - (Cascade City Cemetery)
Calvary Cemetery Association or St. Martin's Catholic Cemetery - Sec 36 - (Cascade City Cemetery
or St. Matthias Catholic Cemetery)
John's Creek Cemetery or Rock Creek Methodist Cemetery - Sec. 2 - abandoned - picture included Alfred White Prop. - Sec 17
Zion Reformed Cemetery - Sec 16 - on Clarence Martin farm - abandoned November 23, 2002
Ray Even Property - Sec 16 - No name - no remains found - abandoned
George Barth property - Sec 5 - near Five Points - abandoned
Centralia Presbyterian Cemetery - Sec 27 - German Presbyterian Church
French Settlement - Jefferson/St. Joseph Catholic
Lattnerville Catholic Cemetery - (Annunciation Church) - Sec 31 - picture included
Old St. Joseph Calasanctius - Sec 5 - stone no longer found
St. John the Baptist Cemetery or German Catholic Society Cemetery - Sec 34 - Centralia (now Peosta)
Concord Christian Cemetery - Sec 25 - near Wilgenbush farm - 19887 Hingtgen Lane, Holy Cross, Iowa 52053
The church is no longer in existence; the cemetery is part of a cultivated field. No records or stones remain of the cemetery. The Concord Christian Church was established in January 1871.
The location of this cemetery is often confused with the two nearby cemeteries, the Concord Christian Cemetery and the Cottage Hill Methodist Cemetery. The cemetery was established in April 1858. While the cemetery association does not have a list of interment records, it does have a listing of markers that were recorded by the DAR in 1939.
Cottage Hill Methodist-Episcopal Church Cemetery - Sec 25 & 26 - 22001 Route 52 North, Holy Cross, Iowa 52053
Established in 1856, the church was demolished in the 1940s. There are no known church records, although the DAR did record some markers in 1939 as did the Dubuque County Historical Society (1976) and the Dubuque County-Key City Genealogical Society (1991). A memorial to the veterans of the War of 1812, the Mexican War 1845-1848, and the Civil War is here.
Floyd Private Gravesite, Sec 20, Holy Cross, Iowa 52053
There are no records for this abandoned cemetery, although there are 3 markers.
Holy Cross Catholic Church Cemetery - Sec 19 - 909 Church Street, Holy Cross, Iowa 52053
Adjacent to the church, this active cemetery was established in 1842. (Partial Listing)
Spring Mills Cemetery - Sec 34 - Four miiles north of Bankston, opposite Park - 23811 Park Hollow Road, Holy Cross, Iowa 52053 (Also called Bankston Park Cemetery)
There are no cemetery records for this abandoned cemetery. It is located near the Village of Spring Mills in 1856. It is believed that this was a private family cemetery. There are four people buried in this cemetery.
Further research and documentation is underway since County Road D17 doesn't go through Concord
Township. It could be either the cemetery located on the E. Fagan property or the old Tivoli
property (Sec 17) in Iowa Township. Either way (as I understand it from Tom Schlarman) all the
stones have been moved from those locations to Bethel-McGee in Sec 31 of Iowa Township.
Dump Ditch Cemetery or Worthington Baptist Cemetery - Sec 30 (Partial Cemetery List)
No longer active, the earliest burial was in 1848 and the last burial was in 1923. It is located northwest of Worthington, Iowa, on the abandoned Rockville Road (dirt).
Fairview Cemetery or Fairview Protestant Cemetery - Sec 13 - picture included Located at 9543 Farley Road, Farley, Iowa, the earliest burial in this cemetery was in 1863. The cemetery, which is still active, was affiliated with the Fairview First Methodist Church which was closed in 1984.
St. Paul's Catholic Cemetery - Sec 31 - picture included
Located in Worthington, Iowa, next to St. Paul's Catholic Church, this active cemetery was
established in 1869 by German immigrants.
Center Grove Methodist Cemetery or Center Grove Methodist Episcopalian Cemetery - Sec 27
Cherry Hill Cemetery or Union Place Cemetery - Sec 22 -Does not exist - Now Bunker Hill Golf Course - By Club house
Christ the King Chapel - crypts at Loras College - picture included
Dr. Finley's City Cemetery or City Cemetery or Hospital Cemetery - Does not exist - Under a wing of Finley Hospital
Jackson Park Cemetery - or City Cemetery or City Graveyard or Old Graveyard or Jackson St. Cemetery or Main St. Cemetery - Jackson Park, Dubuque. No Longer Exists - Remains moved to Linwood Cemetery. Commemoration marker in Linwood Cemetery. Individual families may have moved their loved ones elsewhere.
Linwood Cemetery, (Benei Jechurum Cemetery) 2735 Windsor Avenue, Dubuque, Iowa 52001 - picture included Office Hours: 8:30 - 4:30, Monday through Friday ph. 563-582-1289
Mortuary Chapel Crypt Cemetery, St. Raphael's Cathedral
Mt. Calvary Cemetery, 1111 Davis Avenue, Dubuque, Iowa 52001 (Partial Cemetery List)
Resurrection Church or St. Philomena Catholic Cemetery - Sec 17
St. John's Lutheran - Davis St., Dubuque, Iowa 52001
No name ( Sniffen [Sniffea] Private Gravesite ) - Sec 30 - 13066 Seipple Rd., single grave near Dubuque County Farm
Third St. Catholic Cemetery, Third St., Dubuque, Iowa 52001 ( Bishop's Cemetery or Bluff Cemetery or Catholic Cemetery or Graveyard Cemetery or Kelly's Cemetery or Old Cemetery or St. Mary's Cemetery or St. Raphael's Cemetery ) - abandoned
E. Fagen Property - Sec 18 - abandoned
Congregational Cemetery - Sec. 18 - These stones currently reside on the Laverne Wilwert farm. November 10, 2002
Methodist Episcopal Church - Sec 31
St. Clements Catholic Cemetery (Partial Cemetery List) - Sec 16
Tivoli Cemetery - Sec 17 or 31 - No longer exists - Stones moved to Bethel-McGee Cemetery
Balltown Methodist Cemetery - Sec 5
Congregational Rock Cemetery or Methodist Cemetery or Old Rock Church Cemetery - Sec 35 - Durango - abandoned
Cook Private Cemetery - 20795 Park Hollow Rd, Rickardsville, IA 52039 Map
East Rickardsville Methodist - Episcopalian Cemetery - Sec 28 - picture included
Methodist Cemetery - Sec 29
St. Frances of Assissi Catholic Cemetery - Sec 5 - (Partial Cemetery List) Balltown
St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery or French Settlement Cemetery - Sec 30 - 20249 St. Joseph Dr., Rickardsville, IA November 14, 2002
St. Matthews Lutheran Cemetery - Sec 13 - Sherrill, IA - picture included
St. Peter & Paul Catholic Cemetery - Sec 13 - (Partial Cemetery List) - 5131 Sherrill Rd, Sherrill, IA 52073 - picture included
Mt. Calvary, Davis Street. Dubuque, Iowa November 14, 2002
Sisters of Charity BVM, Mt. Carmel, Mt. Carmel, Dubuque, Iowa
Myer Cemetery on farm of Gary Deutmeyer - Sec 9 - by Luxemburg This cemetery was established in the 1850s on the property of Christopher Myer. There was a cholera epidemic during that decade that claimed many lives, including 15 to 20 children. By 1920, most of the stones were no longer visible. The land had been farmed since the 1950s. None of the interred people have been identified. - abandoned
Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery - Sec 21 - in Luxemburg (Partial Cemetery List) - picture included
This cemetery is behind Holy Trinity Church and the ballfield along Hwy. 136. It is presently
being used and is well cared for. It was established in 1861 by German and Luxemburger
immigrants. There is a church rectory nearby.
Echo Hills near St. Catherine (possibly the Green Cemetery?)
Green Private Gravesite - (Echo Hills Cemetery) 3767 St. Catherine Rd, Dubuque, IA 52003, private, approx. 1 1/2 mi. south of St. Catherine's.- picture included Map Established in 1882, the cemetery consists of one stone. It is abandoned; may also be known as Echo Hills Cemetery.
Preston Private Gravesite - Sec 16 - 7089 Olde Massey Road, Dubuque, Iowa 52001 - abandoned November 10, 2002
This cemetery is abandoned. The earliest burial was in 1846. There are 12 stones remaining, all members of the Preston family. On December 30, 1980, the property was purchased by the State of Iowa as part of the Mines of Spain State Park.
St. Catherine's Catholic Cemetery - Sec. 27 - 5247 St. Catherine Road, Dubuque, Iowa This active cemetery was established in 1850 with stones dating from 1858 to the present. There is a church rectory adjacent to the church.
State of Iowa Owner - Sec 8 - Near Massey
Mount Hope Protestant Cemetery or Dyersville Cemetery or Methodist Cemetery - Sec 33 - 30980 Olde Hawkeye Road, Dyersville, Iowa 52040
Originally affiliated with the Methodist Church, this active cemetery is now public. The cemetery records are in the care of Kramer Funeral Home. it was established on January 18, 1856 with burials as early as 1851. Many markers today are broken.
St. Boniface Catholic Church Cemetery - Sec 6 - 7419 Columbus Street, New Vienna, Iowa 52065 - picture included
Established in 1846 by German immigrants, this is an active cemetery with the earliest burial date 1848. The cemetery records are located at St. Boniface Rectory, 7401 Columbus Street, New Vienna, Iowa 52065.
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church Cemetery - Sec 31 - picture included
The cemetery is located 3 blocks from St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (1st Ave. W & 2nd St.
SW, Dyersville, Iowa 52040) in Bremen Twp., Delaware County. It is a large, active cemetery
with the earliest burial date of 1863. The cemetery and church were established in 1856 by
This abandoned cemetery has only one remaining stone, although readings taken in 1939 and 1976 indicated four more. The earliest burial was in 1836.
Indian Mounds - Sec 15 - abandoned
Indian Mounds near Sherrill - Sec 19 - abandoned
Old Rock Church, Durango - a cemetery near here was identified by the DAR in 1939 with 7 stones, but there is no evidence of its location today.
The records have been sent to the Presbyterian Historical Society, United Presbyterian Church
in USA, 425 Lombard St., Philadelphis, PA 19147. Burials date from 1864 to 1973. The
cemetery and church were established by German immigrants. The former church has been made into
a home. The cemetery has been abandoned.
Bernard Catholic Cemetery - Sec 27 - There is no evidence of a cemetery here.
Sacred Heart Cemetery - Sec. 20 - near Fillmore - picture include
Established in 1890, the early membership came from St. Patrick's Garryowen, Holy Family at the
Monastery, St. John's Placid, and St. Mary's and St. Martin's in Cascade. It is located at
the intersection of US 151 and County Y21 and is currently in use.
Dubuque Memorial Gardens - Sec 21 - 8209 Jecklin Lane, Dubuque, Iowa - includes picture
French Cemetery or Laudeville Cemetery - Sec 36 - abandoned November 10, 2002
Mount Olivet Cemetery or Key West Cemetery - 10378 Military Road, Dubuque, Iowa 52003 (Partial Cemetery List) - picture included
Quade Private Cemetery - Sec 17 - 13413 Swiss Valley Rd, Peosta, IA 52068 - abandoned
Reed's Chapel Methodist Cemetery - Sec. 8 November 10, 2002
Rockdale Methodist Cemetery - Sec. 1 - 1500 Old Mill Rd, Dubuque, IA 52003-8579
Sisters of Charity Catholic Cemetery - Sec 33
Sisters of Presentation Cemetery - Sec. 11
Ralph Boge Property - Sec 5 - Abandoned - 3 black migrant workers are said to be buried in unmarked graves between 1865-1900
Epworth Rural Cemetery - Sec 23 - abandoned November 10, 2002
Highview Cemetery - Epworth Cemetery Association - Sec. 2 - Epworth, Iowa - picture included
Property Owner Hogan Gravesite - Sec 8 - No longer in existence - farmland since 1940's (Farley Centennial Book)
St. John's Catholic Cemetery - Sec 35 - Placid
St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery - Sec 7 - (Partial Cemetery List)
St. Patrick's Catholic Cemetery or Epworth Catholic Cemetery - Sec 11
Johnson School Cemetery or Methodist Cemetery - Sec 8 - old red school house nearby - off Olde Highway 20 - abandoned - picture included
Michael Schmitt property - Sec 9 - abandoned
Peosta Union Cemetery Assoc. - Sec 9 - abandoned November 10, 2002
Holy Family Catholic Cemetery (Partial Cemetery List) - Sec 35 - New Melleray Monastery - picture included
New Mellaray Abbey Cemetery or Trappistine Brothers Cemetery - Sec 36 - 6500 Melleray Circle, Peosta, IA 52068
C. Robert Kennedy Property, ( Hodgeville Cemetery or Peosta Protestant Cemetery ) - Sec 4 - located 1/4 mile north of Peosta on Blacktop (extremely damaged!) - abandoned (This cemetery has been recorded and can be found at the Iowa Historical Library, Des Moines, Iowa: Iowa Cemeteries - Dubuque County, 977.741/D854C, Unnamed Cemetery, Vernon Twp., Section 4, Recorded by Mr. & Mrs. Behning.)
No name cemeteries Sec 5, 6, 7, & 8 Historical Society Listings
Associated Presbyterian Congregation of Otter Creek Church Cemetery - Sec 35 - 10240 Arensdorf Road, Zwingle, Iowa 52079 November 10, 2002
The church has also been known as the LaMotte Bethel, Zwingle Presbyterian, Zwingle Bethel, and United Presbyterian. This is an abandoned cemetery with the earliest burial in 1862 and the latest in 1949. The church was originally established in 1850.
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church Cemetery or Sylvia Switch - Sec 33 - 12801 Washington Mills Road, Zwingle, Iowa 52079
The church records are held by the parent church, St. Theresa Catholic Church, Rt. 1, LaMotte, Iowa 52054. Established in 1896, the cemetery is located at the junction of Hwy. 61 and 246, 3 miles west of Zwingle.
Buncombe Presbyterian Cemetery - Sec 11 - 10671 Buncombe Road, Zwingle, Iowa 52079 November 10, 2002
This abandoned cemetery has also been known as the Prairie Presbyterian Cemetery. The earliest burial was in 1852 and the latest in 1904. Prairie Presbyterian Church was established May 19, 1855.
Harmony United Church of Christ Cemetery - Sec 35 - Zwingle, Iowa 52079 This active church cemetery was established in 1851 by immigrants from Pennsylvania and Switzerland. It is located at the NW corner of the intersection of Main St. (Old Hwy. 61) and Washington Mills Road. It has been known as the Reformed Church (1851), the German Reformed Church (1856), the Evangelical and Reformed Church (1877), and in 1957 became the United Church of Christ. Records of interments are kept at the church.
St. Joseph of the Prairie Catholic Cemetery, ( Presley Presbyterian or Prairie Presbyterian ) - Sec 4 - 5880 St. Joseph of Prairie Road, Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Established on March 19, 1846, by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the
records are located at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Peosta, Iowa.
These names do not necessarily correspond with the information above. Exact locations can be obtained through the Dubuque County--Key City Genealogical Society, which also does lookups and paid research.
|Site maintained by Julia Krapfl | Copyright
© 1996-2004 | Page updated 13 August 2008|
Designed by Kelly Krapfl