Logo by Ginger Cisewski
The City of Epworth was established in 1855 when a plot of forty acres for a town was granted by three pioneers. The land was plotted, surveyed, and then named after the birthplace of John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Church in England. These early settlers were of Irish and German descent. Epworth was incorporated on March 1, 1880. The Epworth Seminary opened in 1857 and became nationally recognized. Public facilities were upgraded in the 1980's. Two new parks have been added. The small Tower Park in the center of the city is built around the 300,000 gallon water tower, and a larger park, containing ball diamaonds and playground equipment, is nearing completion on the north side of the city.
Epworth is the site for many educational institutions. The Divine Word College, a school for the Society of the Divine Word Missionaries, the Western Dubuque public high school (the Bobcats), as well as a public grade school and a parochial grade school, are all located here.
The Methodist, Catholic, and Lutheran church communities add a religious climate and a spiritual atmosphere for the citizens. Epworth is connected to the major cities with a 4-lane highway, U. S. Highway 20, nearby
|Site maintained by Julia Krapfl | Copyright
© 1996-2004| Page updated 5 October 2004
Designed by Kelly Krapfl