Who died in Jackson township, in 1899m, was the son of Oliver and Lavinia (Wright) Jenison, and was born in Wethersfield, New York in 1831. His grandparents came to this country in the Mayflower. When he was twelve years old he moved with his parents to Alleghany county, New York, where he was married in 1852 to Sarah Ann Shaffer, daughter of David and Jane Shaffer, of Rushford, N. Y. In 1865 they moved to Illinois, locating in Whiteside county, where they farmed for five years. In 1870 they came to Greene county, locating in Franklin township, where they lived two years and then rented the Wynkoop place in section 24, Jackson township, where they lived until 1875, when he bought 160 acres wild land in section 34, Jackson township, which with the aid of his good wife he converted into a pleasant farm home. He leaves a wife and six children: Mary J. (Mrs. Morris), 46; Andrew J., 44; William E., 42; Elizabeth L., (Mrs. Wright), 40; Fred. G., 33; Harry I., 25. Mr. Jenison was, as the family is now, members of the Baptist church. His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and his father was in the War of 1812.
Farmer and Stockman, son of A. B. and Eleanor Oliver, was born in Miami county, Ohio, in 1859, and is of German descent. He was raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools of Ohio and Illinois. He was raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools of Ohio and Illinois. When he was 10 years old he came with his parents to Marion county, Illinois, where they lived until 1881, when they came to Iowa, locating in Guthrie county. In 1883 he was married to Anna Shipley, daughter of Capt. I. R. Shipley, who died in Guthrie county in 1898. In 1886 he bought an 80-acre farm in Richland township, Guthrie county, which he sold in 1896, when they came to Greene county, locating in section 35, Jackson township, where they now reside and own a 150 acre farm. Mr. Oliver is also one of Greene county’s auctioneers, an occupation he has followed since 1888. This year he formed a partnership with C. E. Luther, and they have already a good business in this line. They have had four children: H. Virgil, 14; James G., 12; Allison, 10; Phebe I., 8. The church of the family is German Baptist, and in politics he is a republican.
Farmer and stockman, son of Patrick and Catherine Horan, was born in County Longford, Ireland in 1833. When he was four years old he came with his parents to America locating in Brooklyn, where his father followed the mason’s trade. In 1849 they settled in DeKalb county, Ills., where he was married in 1857 to Mary Schollkill, a native of Ireland. They lived in DeKalb county, Ill., till 1883, when they moved to Greene county, locating on section 30 in Jackson township, where he purchased a fine 360 acre farm to which he has added and now owns 800 acres of land and is practically out of debt, a good record for a man who 42 years ago did not have a dollar. They have had thirteen children, twelve of whom are now living: John H., 39; Mary Ann (Mrs. Mo Dinan); Rose, Thomas, Fannie (Mrs. J. DeLuhrey), Patrick, Maggie, Michael, Julia, Ella. They are members of the Roman Catholic church and in politics he is a Populist.
Son of John and Mary Gibson, was born in Worcester county, Mass., in 1840. In 1858 he went to Erie county, New York, where he married, the same year, Adeline M. Davis, a native of York State, and they resided near Springville, until 1864. In 1865 he enlisted in Co. A., 100th New York Infantry, and was with McClellan through the Peninsular campaign and went through the war unscathed. Was honorably discharged at close of war and returned to Cattaraugus county, where he farmed until 1884. In 1883 he was divorced from his wife, and in 1885 married Amanda Vaughan of York State. They came to Greene county in 1884, locating in section 15, Jackson township, where he owned a 90-acre farm and are very comfortably situated. He also owns 30 acres in section 11, Jackson township. He is a member of George H. Thomas Post, G A R., and in politics is a staunch republican.
Farmer and stockman, son of Samuel and Miriam (Fellows) Jones, was born in Sullivan county, New Hampshire, in 1832. When he was five years old his parents moved to Princeton, Illinois, where the father died in 1848. He was raised a farmer an occupation he has always followed and received his education in the common schools of Bureau county, Ill. In 1871 he came to Greene county, locating in section 23, Jackson township, where he had bought 160 acres wild land to which he has added, and now owns 438 acres, a valuable farm. Whatever he has of this world’s goods, came as the result of strictest economy backed up by strong hands, for he is out of debt. Politically Mr. Jones is a democrat.
Son of Garrett and Louisa (Seeker) Fox, was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, in 1860, and is of German descent. When he was four years old, he moved with his parents to Cook county, Illinois, and in the spring of 1868 when they moved to Berrien county, Michigan, and in the spring of 1878 they came to Greene county, Iowa, locating on the Fleck farm in Jackson township. In 1880 they bought 80 acres of wild land in section 30, Franklin township, where they lived until 1888, and then bought a 160-acre farm near Eureka Mills. In 1891 he was married to Adella King, daughter of A. C. and Mary (Holdredge) King. They have since resided at Eureka Mills, where he owns 51 acres, besides 80 acres in section 1, this township. Mr. And Mrs. Fox are members of the Baptist church, and politically is an uncompromising republican. He had a long term of service as township trustee, from 1892 to 1898. Mrs. Fox was one of Greene county’s school teachers, an occupation which she followed for thirteen years and taught seven years in the Jefferson schools.
Farmer and stockman, is a native of Virginia, born in Augusta county in 1840, and is of Scotch-English descent. When he was 14 years old, he came with his parents to Iowa, locating in Johnson county, where they lived until 1862, when they moved to Linn county, where the father died three years later. In 1869 he came to Greene county, locating on what is now known as the Raver farm in Hardin township, which he had purchased and where himself and mother lived seven years. In 1876 he sold this farm and bought 280 acres in section 22, Jackson township, here he has since resided. He was married in 1885 to Mrs. Viola Custer, of Bristol township. They have had two children: Arthur F., 12; Ralph M., 10. At the time of her second marriage, Viola Custer had two children: Eva, 23; Robert R., born Sept’r 6, 1881; died July 7, 1899. Mr. And Mrs. Brown are members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics he is a republican. He now owns 345 acres of valuable land and has lately purchased the Wesley Young home in West Jefferson, to which they will soon remove in order to give their children the advantages of a more liberal education.
Was born in Fulton county, Illinois, in 1862, the son of Michael and Jane (McFall) Lynch. He was reared a farmer, and his education was in the common schools of Fulton county, Illinois. When 21 years old he went to Marshall county, Illinois, where he farmed as a renter. In 1891, he was married to Maggie McDonough, daughter of Martin McDonough of Stark county, Illinois. They resided in Marshall county until 1897, when they came to Greene county, locating on section 22, Jackson township, where he purchased an 80-acre farm. In 1897 Mrs. Lynch died, leaving a husband and two children: James Leo, 8; Anna, 6. Mary was born August 29, 1896 and died July 12, 1897. Politically he is a democrat.
One of the pioneers of Jackson township, is of Scotch-Irish descent and was born in Delaware county, N. Y., in 1829. When he was eight years old his parents moved to Peoria county, Ills., and in 1846 they came to Bureau county. In 1871 he came to Iowa, locating in the southeastern part of the State where he teamed. In 1863 he was married to Mary E. Ouyer and came to Greene county three years later. In 1877 he bought an 80-acre farm in section 32, Jackson township, where he now lives. They have had seven children, four of whom are living: Eddie D., 33; Sarah (Mrs. D. Adrian), 28; Olive (Mrs. Peter Keifer), 26; Lew., 24. In politics he is a republican.
One of Jackson Township’s enterprising farmers, is a son of Tapley and Lydia Taylor, and was born in Jones county, Iowa in 1850; is of Franch-Scotch-German descent. He was reared a farmer, and educated in the common schools of his native county. In 1873 he went to Smith county, Kansas, where he was married in 1873 to Elizabeth Munsinger, a native of Ohio. They lived a year and a half in Kansas, when they came to Jones county in 1875, locating on a 40-acre farm where they lived until 1882, when they came to Greene county, locating on section 24 in the township of Scranton. In 1888 he purchased 120 acres of wild land in section 19, Jackson township, which he has made into a splendid farm home and is very comfortably situated. They have five children: Alberta, 25; Cecil L., 24; Ray J., 22; Clara B., 20; Edna M., 12. Mr. And Mrs. Taylor are members of the Church of Christ, and in politics he is a republican.
Was born near Odenson, Denmark, in 1848 and was raised as a market gardener; his educatioini was received in the common schools of his native country. In 1868 he came to this country locating in Logansport, Indiana, where he worked as a laborer. The next year he came to Kendall county, Ills., where he worked on a farm three years. He came to Greene county in 1871, locating in Scranton, where he worked on a farm and as a shoemaker in the winter. In 1877 he bought 40 acres of wild land in section 19, Jackson township, and now owns 120 acres which he has made into a good farm. The same year he was married to Sarah E. Wright of Bristol township, who died in 1891, leaving a husband and five children: Willis, 21; Andrew, 19; Mabel, 12; Florence 8; Charles, 6. In politics Mr. Hanson is a republican.
The only survivor of Thomas and Elizabeth Arch, was born in Morris county, New Jersey, in 1822; was raised a farmer, which occupation he has followed and educated in the common schools. In 1843 he was married to Catherine Colwell, daughter of Joshua and Ann Colwell, who afterwards settled in Bureau county, Illinois. In 1853 they moved to Bureau county, where he improved a small farm, making that a home for 25 years. In1874 they came to Greene county, locating in section 31, Jackson township, where he purchased a 240 acre farm to which he has added until he now owns 520 acres of splendid land for which he has fully paid. He has never given his note for anything since coming to the county. He has a pleasant farm home and is in a position to rest during his declining years. They have had nine children, five of whom are now living: George, William, Ransom, Anna (Mrs. J. Gouger), and Eddie. Politically he is of the independent ty0e, looking at questions as they present themselves.
Son of Charles and Mattie (Dangen) Foulks, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1862, and is of Scotch-Dutch descent. His father was a lawyer and the son had the benefits of the schools of his native city. In 1885 he was married to Hattie Fernow, daughter of Henry and Mary Fernow, natives of Ohio and Indiana. Commenced housekeeping in Grant Center, Iowa, residing there until 1889, when they moved to Montana, where he worked in the silver mines until 1892, when they came to Greene county, locating in section 12, Jackson township, where he bought 8 acres of land adjoining the city of Jefferson, where he has engaged in market gardening and also in the bee business, and has a comfortable home. He was raised a Presbyterian and is a member of Greene Lodge No. 315, I.O.O.F. of Jefferson. Politically he is not a radical partisan but settles questions of public policy according to best judgment. In 1896 he was elected township assessor, although his party was fourteen votes in the minority.
Of Jackson township, easily claims to be a pioneer in Greene county, having come here with his parents in 1851, being one of the twelve families who at that time inhabited Greene county. Was born in Menard county, Ills., in 1838, son of David and Lavinia Clopton, of German-Irish descent. He was but 14 years old when he came with his parents to Greene county from Missouri. He was raised a farmer and education in the Missouri common schools, supplemented by a course in the Albany (Mo.) high school. In 1860 he taught school, an occupation he followed 14 years. He was married in Mo. in 1861 to Elizabeth A. Wilson, a native of Kentucky. They have six children: Hattie J., 36; John D., 35; David H., 33; James R., 31; Lucy E., 28; Ida M., 20. In 1894 he purchased the Young farm, near old Eureka mills, where he is profitably engaged in market gardening and seed raising. Mr. And Mrs. Clopton are members of the M. E. church. In politics he is a republican.
One of the pioneers of Jackson township, son of Isom and Delana Wright, was born in Putnam county, Indiana in 1831, and is of English descent. He was raised a farmer, and his education was acquired in the schools of his native State. In 1854 he with his parents came to Greene county, locating on section 10 of what is now Jackson township, they being the fifteenth family to locate in the county. In 1856 he was married to Elizabeth Cole, a antive of Indiana. She died in 1869 leaving a husband and four children: Edward, James C., Lawrence, Maud (Mrs. Allen). In 1874 Mr. Wright was married to Mrs. C. Goforth, who had three children at that time: Sarah (Mrs. Parne); Mary (Mrs. Hurley), Lewella (deceased). In 1856 he bought 160 acres in sections 4 and 10 in what is now Jackson township, where they now reside and have made a comfortable home. In the pioneer days he had to depend on trapping and hunting for partial support. They went 55 miles to mill and Boone was the nearest town. They came to the country with ox teams. They have two children: Charles M., 24; Nettie, 21. Mr. And Mrs. Wright are earnest members of the Church of Christ and in politics he is a populist.
Son of James and Jane McClurg, is of Protestant-Irish descent, and was born in Blunt county, Tennessee in 1821.When he was four years old his father died, and in 1830 he with his mother and sister moved to Indiana, locating near Vincennes. In 1840 they moved to Missouri, living there several years, and where he was married in 1844 to Philena Sheaves. Came to Iowa in 1848, locating in Davis county, where he made the second land entry made in that county. In 1865 they came to Greene county, locating on what is now the county farm. In 1868 he bought 40 acres in section 31, Bristol township, and in 1872 they moved to Kansas, living there 20 years, when they returned to Greene county, locating in section 5, where he now owns a pleasant farm home. They have had fourteen children, eleven of whom are now living: James H., William C, Margaret Ann (Mrs. I. H. Wright), Martha E. (Mrs. Wilkins), John F., Nancy P., (Mrs. Waters), George N., Mary B., (Mrs. Wright), Willis H., Henry M., Jennie F., (Mrs. Wright). The church of the family is the Church of Christ, and politically Mr. McClurg is a democrat.
Son of John H. and Philena McClurg, was born in Cass county, Mo., in 1847. During his infancy his parents moved to Davis county, Iowa, where they lived until 1865. His education was in the common schools of his native county. He came to Greene county in 1865, where he was married to Rocella Taylor, a native of Indiana, and they located on section 31, Bristol township. In 1873 he bought 40 acres of wild in section 5, Jackson township, and now owns an improved and valuable farm of 209 acres and is pleasantly situated. They have had ten children, nine of whom are now living: Alvin H., Nora A., John A., Rocella A. (Mrs. C. Wright), Joseph A., Stella, Ethel, Lloyd, Gracie. Mr. And Mrs. McClurg are members of the Church of Christ, and politically he is in favor of free silver.
Farmer and stockraiser, was born in Denberghshire, North Wales, in June, 1841, the son of David and Hannah (Jones) Wright. His father was a miller, a trade John chose and followed until 1881. His education was in the common schools of his native country. In 1862 he came to this country, locating in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he worked at his trade. In 1868 he was married to Ella Owens, at Milwaukee, where they remained fourteen years and then came to Greene county, locating in Kendrick township until 1871, when they returned to Milwaukee. In 1879 they came back to Greene county, locating in section 17, Jackson township, where he had bought 80 acres of wild land where they now reside, and to which he has added and now owns a splendid farm of 155 acres. They have three children: David, 30; William O., 29; John, 25. They are members of Church of Christ and in politics he is a republican.
Son of Silas and Abigail (Smith) Sheldon, was born in New York, in 1836. When he was four years old he moved with his parents to Michigan, where he was raised a farmer and educated in the common schools of Illinois. When he was 14 years old, his father died, and he being the oldest son, had the management of the family affairs, and assisted in every way possible in rearing and educating the younger children. But this experience has been a practical education for him so that he is a well-informed man and a good business manager. In 1866 he married Emma Libby of Blackberry, Illinois. November 28, 1877, she died, leaving a husband and three children: Abbie (Mrs. G. A. Lawton), 32; Chas. H., 29; Emma C. (Mrs. W. H. Lawton), 22. In 1880 Mr. Sheldon married Mrs. Dora L. Crabtree, of Lodi, Illinois and they came to Greene county in 1881, locating on section 17, Jackson township, where he purchased 248 acres of wild land, of which he has made a pleasant farm home and is accounted among the well-to-do farmers of Scranton township. They have had three children: Elsie M., 16; Winifred D., 11; Fern C. 3. Mr. And Mrs. Sheldon are members of the M. E. church, and in politics he is a republican. He has filled the offices of township clerk and Justice of the Peace for a number of years.
Son of Michael and Mary Boyle, was born in County Loud, Ireland, in 1842. During his infancy his parents came to this country, locating in New York, where he worked as a common laborer until 1859, when he was employed in lumber camps in Michigan. In 1884 he was married to Sarah Dillworth, of Saginaw, and came to Iowa the same year, locating in Jones county, where he purchased a small farm which sold in 1877, and returned to Michigan; coming back to Iowa the next year, locating in Polk county five years and then settling in Dallas county until 1895, when they came to Greene county, locating in section 9, Jackson township. Two years later he purchased a 50-acre farm in section 15, Jackson township, where they reside in a pleasant farm home. They are members of the Catholic church and politically he is a republican.
You are the 415th visitor.