Home    Join DAR     Iowa DAR    National DAR    Contact Us
History of the Julien Dubuque Chapter DAR
The Julien Dubuque Chapter DAR was founded August 22, 1894, by Mrs. Clara A. Cooley. Other charter members of the Dubuque Chapter included: Fannie Bissell Treadway, May Rodgers, Martha Bertha Hancock, Harriott August Hill, Josephine G. Cooley, Cornelia Dean Morrill, Samantha W. Scoup, Margaret Rockwell Torbert, Sara Curtis Glover, Ella Merchant, and Harriet Richard Lewis.
Dubuque Area History
There is evidence of prehistoric Indian occupation in the Dubuque area for at least 8,000 years, as indicated by archaeological research. The Mesquakie Indian tribe probably settled in the Dubuque area in the 1700s and began mining lead around 1764.
In 1788, a French Canadian, Julien Dubuque, came from what is now Wisconsin, and the Mesquakie Indian tribe granted him permission to mine for lead, resulting in the first Euro-American settlement in the area. In 1796, he petitioned the Spanish governor for the right to continue mining for lead. Permission was granted, and the mining area was called the "Mines of Spain."
|Julien Dubuque||Julien Dubuque and Peosta|| |
Julien Dubuque Monument
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Questions or comments? Contact theLynda Noyes-Jelinek, webmaster.
Last updated February 2,2010