Long Grove, Scott County, Iowa Settlers
Long Grove was oficially platted in 1911 but loose attempts at platting occured
before that. Following is a history of some of the early settlers of the
The Elder, Cooper and
Arbel families were the earliest residents of the Long
Alexander Brownlie, Scottish immigrants, bought land from a
man named Coates and built a log cabin in 1838 which served
as a church and school
was settled in the area by 1840
Dominic Kennedy was one of the first teachers
brothers settled into the area in 1841
Mrs. John Robertson settled a band of Scottish immigrants
by 1844. James
and Robert Neil, also Scottish, joined the
area in 1845.
James Rimbold was an early preacher in the Christian
The Pease home served as a place to conduct religious
services of various denominations and also served as first Post Office.
Early Irish settlers included the families of
Armstrong, Noel and Russell.
family was one of the first Swiss settlers
The German familes of
Holland, Hacker and Van Pattern settled around 1852.
was the president of the Long Grove Plowing Soc. in 1858.
Politicians of note were
Marti who was elected to the State Legislature in 1889 and
James Quinn who was elected to the State House of
Representatives in 1859
St. Anne's Church (which now resides in Pioneer Village in Scott County
Park) was completed in 1870 with Rev. Thomas Smith as
O.W. Richardson owned the first general store
M.M. Rice also ran a general store. He later erected
a building that housed 2 stores, a dance hall, kitchen and dining room.
George Curtis started the Star Creamery
Henry W Meier was the first mayor
H. Carstens was the operator of the Climax Hotel
Jacobsen was an 1890s proprietor of a saloon, hotel and cigar
Herman Kuehl started a newspaper in 1895
sold lumber, coal and insurance. He was also at one time a telegrapher
and depot agent
In 1921 Ray Purple and Harry Hamilton tried to rob
Stockman's Savings Bank. Both died in the process.