Assembly of God Church, Correctionville

 

Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the HOME page.

 

Assembly of God Church, Correctionville

 

                The Assembly of God churched originated in Correctionville about 1929 with tent meetings where the parking lot is now.  Various other buildings were used: present Shelgren’s store and a brick building where the Dan Clark home is located.  The church moved to Washington and Main and began purchase of the building from the Free Methodists in 1934, completing purchase in 1945.  The same year the church was established with the Iowa District Council of Assemblies of God.  A parsonage was erected in the early 1950s.

                Another move was made in October, 1973, to the former Evangelical United Brethren Church at 4th and School Streets.

                May 1978 they purchased a house at 316 Fir St, which is presently used for their parsonage.

                Earliest records of some of the members was in 1940s.  some of them were: Vesta Streeter, Daryl and Mabel Kindig, Ed Cobb, Susie Short, Dude and Dorcas Bentley, Bud and Fay Bentley, Art and Marie Frahm, Turk and Martha Durham, Earl Eichhorn, and Fred Sylvester.

                In the 50s, some of those who joined were Melvin and Nora Knaack and Mae Whitesell.

                Pastors of the church included:

1940s – Barney Baker, Dale Hasties, Bro. Gertell;

1945-1947 – Clinton Thompson;

1947-1948 – Bro Weaver;

1948-1949 – Bro Barbary;

1951-1956 – Magnes Anderson;

1956-1959 – Arthur Sanders;

1959 – Roy Sullivan;

1969-1972 – Elmer Yates;

1972-1973 – David Squires;

1973-1978 – Ellston Chapman;

1978-1980 – Michael Sullivan; and

1981-1984 -  Thomas Greaves.

                In 1947, on October 14th, they incorporated.  On June 9, 1959, they adopted a constitution and by-laws.

                At present they have been growing financially and numerically.  New Sunday school classes have been formed due to growth, with one presently meeting in the parsonage.

                December of 1982 a choir of seventeen members was formed with Shirley Greaves as director and Lila Byers as accompanist.  The choir performed its first East Cantata in April 1983 with an attendance of 155.

                In April 1983 the ladies WM group reorganized with twelve members.

                In the past two years the people have been remodeling the parsonage and have installed new doors on the church building.


 

If you know of any corrections or missing information please contact me.

Woodbury County Coordinator

[E-Mail Icon]

A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for Hosting this Site.

© Copyright  1997- 2011. All Rights Reserved.

TERMS, CONDITIONS, DISCLAIMERS                              Copyright Fundamentals for Genealogy

Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the Home page. 

You are the 567visitor since 05-Feb-2011

          This Page Last Updated 05 February, 2011