Grace Lutheran Church, Correctionville

 

Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the HOME page.

 

Grace Lutheran Church, Correctionville

 

                Grace Lutheran Church had its beginning on November 16, 1947, when a group of twenty-one people met at the G.A.R. Hall under the guidance of Rev R O Wudy of Quimby, Iowa.  They were gathered together to begin preliminary work on establishing a Lutheran Mission in Correctionville.

 

                Rev Wudy agreed to conduct regular services in Correctionville, as soon as two families were found with the faith and courage to go ahead with the project.  Thus Mr Fred Thies called on Mr L H Krumm to discuss the matter.  They agreed that a Lutheran Church here was a must and should be started immediately.  These two families, who were soon aided by others, gave the impetus to the beginning of Grace Lutheran Church.

 

                An organizational meeting was held on December 1, 1947, at which time a constitution was adopted and the first officers elected.

 

                In a meeting on February 22, 1948, with District Mission Secretary Rev M J Ansorge, it was decided to purchase the present church site.  A six-room house on the property was converted to a chapel where services were held.  A meeting was held in November and it was decided to call a resident pastor.  Rev Wayne Schardt took up his duties on December 5, 1948.  Also in December the Good Hope Methodist Church building, located four miles north of Correctionville, was offered for sale and it was decided to bid on it.  The transaction was confirmed in January 1949 for a purchase price of $600.  Hard work, prayer, and faith were all represented in the building which was dedicated on February 19, 1950.

 

                Robert Bayer, the present pastor was installed October 4, 1981.

 

                A dual parish was formed with Trinity Lutheran Church, Anthon, in 1960.

 

                In 1967 the interior of the church was completed redecorated.  Labor was furnished by members of the congregation.

 

                A need for a better religious education was felt in 1971 and so the Weekday School (a two-hour session on Wednesdays after school) was begun.

 

                Sunday services begin at 10:30.  Bible classes meet on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.

 

                At the present Grace Lutheran Church consists of a membership of 135.

 


 

If you know of any corrections or missing information please contact me.

Woodbury County Coordinator

[E-Mail Icon]

A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for Hosting this Site.

Copyright  1997- 2011. All Rights Reserved.

TERMS, CONDITIONS, DISCLAIMERS                              Copyright Fundamentals for Genealogy

Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the Home page. 

You are the 791visitor since 07-Feb-2011

          This Page Last Updated 07 February, 2011