Cities in Woodbury County, Iowa
Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the HOME page.
Anthon (city history)
Holly Springs (city history)
Hornick (city history)
Oto (city history)
Sioux City (Leeds, Riverside, Morningside, Springdale, Ingleside)
Smithland (city history)
Annetta: Also known as Annette (now Oto).
Barlow Hall: PO was started under the name of Pamelia, on June 18, 1886. Post office was opened by Green Holder, and then closed August 18, 1886. Reopened March 12, 1887 and renamed Barlow Hall on May 14, 1887 by the PO and ran by Levi J. Allen then closed July 26, 1888.
Brown's Settlement. A place in the northwestern part of Lake Port Township, as shown by maps of the 1850's and early 1860's.
Burr Oak Grove. A place in section 12, Union Township near the Little Sioux River, as shown on maps of 1868 to 1881.
Copenhaver, PO was started on February 28, 1898 by Emma E. Copenhaver, and closed August 18, 1898.
Crawford: Located four miles southwest of Lawton and five miles north of Bronson, Sec. 4, Floyd Twp. 88N, R46W. PO started 1/21/1889 by Harrison C. Joseph, and closed 4/15/1902.
Discord: Located two miles northeast of Anthon, and four and a half miles southwest of Correctionville, N Sec. 21, Kedron Twp. 88N, R43W. PO started 10/14/1870 by George Everts, and closed 1/17/1884. The USGS has it located at latitude of 422555N and longitude of 0955038W.
Dodds: Located a half-mile north of Lawton on the C&NW Railroad, NW Sec. 32, Banner Twp. 89N, R45W. PO started 9/25/1877 by Elizabeth Dodds, closed 8/17/1886.
Floyd's Bluff: PO started 3/6/1835, by Thomas B. Thompson, and closed 4/16/1856.
Friendlings Tavern. A place (stage station) in section 30, Sloan Township, near where what now stands the town of Sloan, as shown on maps of 1868.
Gale. Located two miles southwest of Anthon, six miles north of Oto on the Illinois Central Railroad, NE Sec. 7, Miller Twp. 87N, R43W. Started 7/8/1871 by Joseph Cross. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 23 min 11 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 50 min 38 sec W.
German City: Located five and a half miles northeast of Hornick and seven miles northwest of Smithland, SE/NE Sec. 14, Willow Twp. 86N, R45W. PO started 5/3/1886 by Leroy Sweet and closed 7/15/1903. A church, cemetery, and a few houses still remain as of 2004.
Glen Ellen aka Glenellen: Located four miles northeast of present day Sergeant Bluff on the Milwaukee Railroad, or six and a half miles by road west of Bronson and about 12 miles southeast of Sioux City, SE Sec. 21 Woodbury Twp. 88N, R47W. PO started 6/7/1888 by Thomas S. Lukrus. Changed to just one word for the town for the PO on 12/21/1894 and closed 8/15/1921 by Jacob O. Zook. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 25 min 07 sec N and longitude of 096 degrees 19 min 12 sec W.
Grange: Located 9 miles southeast of Sergeant Bluff, 3 miles south of Bronson by road, Sec. 5, Grange Twp. 87N, R46W. PO started 10/24/1877 by Harriet N. Grosvenor and closed 11/4/1878.
Grove. A place near the northwest corner of Willow Township, as shown on maps of 1878.
Hamlin. Located one mile northwest of Sloan, NW/NE Sec. 30, Sloan Twp. 86N, R46W. PO started 3/19/1867 by Joseph Gravel. Was renamed Sloan on June 29, 1869 by James B. Johnson.
Hoskins, Located seven miles from downtown Sioux City, five and a half miles west of Lawton, Sec. 33, Concord Twp. 89N, R46W. PO started 6/23/1875 by Mrs. Catherine Fuller and closed 4/19/1886. Then reopened 4/1/1891 by Peter C Eberly and closed 2/15/1902. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 28 min 32 sec N and longitude of 096 degrees 19 min 12 sec W.
Idell: PO started 6/25/1894, closed 12/15/1897.
Lakeport: Located on the banks of the Missouri River six miles northwest of Sloan, six and a half miles southwest of Salix, Sec. 21, Lakeport Twp. 86N, R47W. PO started 7/10/1857 by John B. Pearce and closed 9/27/1858, then reopened 2/14/1889 by Robert S. Hammon and closed 12/31/1902.
Linndale: Located three miles northwest of Salix, six miles southeast of Sergeant Bluff, Sec. 28, Liberty Twp. 87N, R47W. PO started 12/22/1863 by Thomas Dunagan and closed 6/3/1864.
Listonville: Located a short distance north of Danbury, Liston Twp. 86N, R42W. PO started 4/10/1872 by Dan Thomas. Renamed Danbury PO on 2/13/1882.
Lozier: located two miles west of Pierson, seven miles southeast of Kingsley, NE/NE Sec. 10, Rutland Twp. 89N, R43W. PO started 8/13/1880 by Milton T. Moriarty and closed 2/13/1882.
Lucky Valley: Located three and a half miles southwest of Anthon, NE Sec. 2, Grant Twp. 87N, R44W. PO started 11/27/1882, by John B. Jerman, then renamed Luckyvalley on 12/21/1894 by the PO with James W. Frous and closed 6/30/1903. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 23 min 06 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 56 min 17 sec W.
Midway: Located nine miles southeast of Anthon, ten miles southwest of Cushing, ten miles north of Danbury, Sec. 10 Morgan Twp. 87N. R42W. PO started 12/17/1890 by Franklin W. Bush and closed 1/2/1907. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 22 min 15 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 43 min 43 sec W.
Morris: Located in east central Liston Twp, 86N, R42W, just NE of Danbury. PO started 3/24/1857, by Joseph Edwards and closed 1/19/1864. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 15 min 34 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 41 min 16 sec W.
New Buffalo: A moveable country post office (1856-1878) which was in the neighbor where later was built the present town of Salix.
Odd: located three miles west of Climbing Hill, ten miles north of Hornick, nine miles southeast of Bronson, Sec. 18, West Fork Twp. 87N, R45W, PO started 3/11/1879 by George E. Henry and closed 7/12/1882.
Owego (city history)
Pamelia: see Barlow Hall.
Peioro: Located seven miles northwest of Oto, 6 miles southeast of Climbing Hill, eleven miles southwest of Anthon, NE/NE Sec. 29, Grant Twp. 87N, R44W. PO started 11/6/1877 by George D. Lyons and closed 6/30/1904. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 20 min 22 sec N and longitude of 096 degrees 01 min 09 sec W.
Penrose: Was the pioneer name of the Cushing. PO started 7/2/1883 by Cornelius W. Ostrander and renamed Cushing PO on 8/29/1883.
Rock Branch: Located seven miles west of Correctionville, seven miles northwest of Anthon, seven miles southwest of Pierson, on the corner common to NE Sec. 1, Wolf Creek Twp. 88N, R44W and Sec. 6, Kedron Twp. 88N, R43W. PO started 3/14/1872 by Henry C. Goodrich and closed 4/30/1904. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 28 min 13 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 55 min 04 sec W.
Smithtown: (now Smithland) as on maps of the 1850's.
Snyder Grove: located five miles southwest of Climbing Hill, six miles north of Hornick, nine miles east of Salix, NE/NE Sec. 6, Willow Twp. 86N. R45W. PO started 6/6/1871 by Noice Snyder, closed 12/5/1872. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 18 min 01 sec N and longitude of 096 degrees 08 min 02 sec W.
Thompsontown: Staked off as a town in 1847 at Floyd's Bluff (see above). Thompsontown became the county seat, although it had but one log hut, and was until Sergeants won the prize in 1854.
Truxton (now Lawton)
Wolfdale: Located in two different places. One four and a half miles east of Moville, eleven miles west of Correctionville, SE/NW Sec. 36, Arlington Twp. 89N, R44W. Second place was seven and a half miles southeast of Moville, eight miles northwest of Anthon, SE/NW Sec. 16 Wolf Creek Twp. 88N, R44W. Po started 8/3/1868 by David S. Grosh and closed 7/31/1900. The USGS has it located at latitude of 42 degrees 28 min 33 sec N and longitude of 095 degrees 58 min 08 sec W.
Woodbury was once the name for the Sergeant Bluff PO. From 1862 to 1870.
“Postmarked Iowa” “A list of Discontinued and Renamed Post Offices” by Guy Reed Ramsey.
USGS Untied States Geological Survey. US Dept. of the Interior.
“Iowa Post Offices 1833-1986” by Alan H. Patera and John S. Gallagher.
“Stagecoach Trails In Iowa” by Inez E. Kirkpatrick.
"Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices of Iowa" David Charles Mott 1858-
Reprinted from the annals of Iowa Vols. XVII & XVIII 1930-1932
|Bronson||Browns Settlement||Brughier Bridge|
|Burr Oak Grove||Climbing Hill||Correctionville|
|Friendlings Tavern||Gale||German City|
|Salix||Sargeant Bluff||Sergents Bluff|
|Shell Rock||Sioux City||Sloan|
If you know of any corrections or missing information please contact me
Woodbury County Coordinator
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for Hosting this Site.
You are the 13070visitor since 16-JUNE-1998
This Page Last Updated 05 April, 2014
Copyright © 1997 - 2014