James D. Rendall
(From HISTORY OF MITCHELL AND WORTH COUNTIES, IOWA, 1883, Page 842)
James D. Rendall is one of the pioneers of Worth Co., Iowa, arriving in the county, Aug. 19, 1858. He was born in Westra, Orkney, Scotland, Aug. 7, 1810, his parents being Peter and Helen (Donaldson) Rendall. Mr. Peter Rendall was married twice. His first wife died in 1818, and he afterward married Margaret Cooper. He had three children by his first wife and six by his second. James D. in 1832, was married by Rev. George Reid, to Jean Seater, of the Island of Westra, in Scotland. Mr. Rendall for twenty years was engaged in the cod and herring fisheries, being a captain fifteen years. In May, 1858, they started for the United States, locating in Silver Lake township, Worth Co., Iowa. They first stopped with their son James, at Rockford, Ill., and from there to Worth county. They came in a prairie schooner drawn by oxen, being three weeks on the way. Previous to his arrival in the county his son had in 1856, pre-empted the land where he settled. Here he lived for sixteen years, then he moved to Northwood township, and in 1881, he came to Northwood, where he now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Rendall have had seven children-Ann, James, John, Hellen, Jean, (deceased), Jean and Thomina (twins). James enlisted in company B, 32d Iowa Infantry, and died in the service at Memphis, Tenn. John was in the same regiment. He was wounded in the leg at Pleasant Hill, and afterward taken prisoner. Mr. and Mrs. Rendall were members of the United Presbyterian Church in Scotland, but there being no church of that denomination here, they joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1882 they celebrated their golden wedding at Northwood. They are in comfortable circumstances. He owns a farm in Northwood township, of 120 acres valued at $25 per acre, besides six acres adjoining the village, valued at $1,200.
Transcribed by Gordon Felland, March 27, 2008