OLE L. ANDERSON
Ole L. Anderson, widely and favorably known in Worth county, was born February 1, 1867, on a farm on which he still resides, situated on section 1, Barton township. His father, Lars Anderson, was a youth of eighteen years when he left Norway, his native country, and with his parents sailed in 1841 for the United States. They arrived on the shores of the new world after a voyage of eight weeks in one of the old-time sailing vessels, and from the Atlantic coast they made their way into the interior of the country, settling first in Stephenson county, Illinois, where the father took up government land. He there built a log house and at once began the task of developing and improving the farm, upon which he resided for a number of years. It was upon that place that his parents passed away. Lars Anderson was married while living in Illinois to Miss Hanson, who died a little later, however. It was at a subsequent date that Lars Anderson took up the farm upon which his son, Ole L., now resides. He secured one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government, built a log house and began the further development and improvement of the property, performing the arduous tasks incident to the cultivation of a new place. Some time later he married Miss Sarah Severson and upon the old homestead spent his remaining days, reaching the advanced age of seventy-nine years ere death called him in 1902. His wife died in 1867, at the age of thirty-six years. They were consistent members of the Norwegian Lutheran church, doing all in their power to advance its growth and promote its interests. In fact, their influence was always on the side of those activities which figure most largely in promoting the moral development of a community. Mr. Anderson filled the offices of assessor and township trustee.
Ole L. Anderson spent his youthful days upon the farm which is still his home, acquired his education in the district school not far distant, and on attaining a sufficient age took charge of the home farm, of which in due course of time he became the owner. It has since been his place of residence and he now has four hundred acres of fine farm land which he has brought under a high state , of cultivation, so that the fields annually produce large crops. He is a progressive farmer, ever ready to take a forward step in a business way, and he keeps in touch with the advanced methods which have in recent years so largely revolutionized agricultural life.
In 1897 Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Mary Knutson, a daughter of Savre and Anna Knutson. Mrs. Anderson was born in Worth county, while her parents were natives of Norway, whence they came to the United States in early life, their marriage being celebrated in Goodyear county, Minnesota. The father died in Barton township, Worth county, where he had owned and cultivated a farm for a number of years. His widow is still living on the old homestead at the age of sixty years. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been born seven children, namely: Leonard, Anton, Olaf, Melvin, Selma, Olga and Gilbert. The family is possessed of considerable musical talent. In his younger days Mr. Anderson was a performer on the violin. His son Leonard now plays the slide trombone, Anton the cornet and Olaf the tuba in the Carpenter Band at Carpenter, Mitchell county. They figure prominently in the social circles of the county, having many friends who extend to them the warm hospitality of their homes.
Mr. Anderson has been a lifelong resident of Worth county and has always remained upon the farm which he still occupies. In the intervening period of fifty years he has lived to witness many changes that have been wrought in Worth county, taking it out of the class of frontier counties and placing it on a par with the most progressively developed sections of the state. His own career has been one of unremitting diligence and his determination to succeed, combined with unfaltering industry, has been one of the basic elements of his growing prosperity.
SOURCE: HISTORY OF MITCHELL AND WORTH COUNTIES, IOWA, 1918, VOL. II; Pages 596 & 597
Transcribed by Gordon Felland, October 28, 2006