Marsh Basin first named for the creek on which it was located and later named Albion was often referred to as the Center of the Universe where Cassia County residents and travelers could take care of their needs. It sits in the center of Cassia County, 14 miles South East of Burley in a mountainous area. Winters are cold and summers are beautiful. Three Cemeteries are still used and kept up in this small community.
In 1877 the name Marsh Basin was changed to Albion on the suggestion of early settler and storekeeper Miles G. Robinson. Some say the name was drawn out of a hat. In 1879 it became the County Seat for Cassia. Following is a short History of events and time periods.
1869 to 1870
The Transcontinental railroad met at Promontory Point in Utah, two depots for shipping were established-Corinne and Kelton, Utah. Kelton was near the northern tip of the Salt lake and became a shipping point for southern Idaho. In 1870 the freight road and station was established through Marsh Basin heading for Boise and several mining towns, at first was a toll road.
1870 to 1919
Albion was a main stage stop and travelers, freight wagons, covered wagons and stage coaches would stop at Albion for supplies and lodging as the next one was the Stricker Stage Station at Rock Creek quite a distance.
1871 to 1872
Permanent settlers began filing for homesteads in Marsh Basin (Albion). The first known to be William Vaughn. The town site was platted from a purchase of ten acres purchased from Mr. Vaughn's homestead.
1875 to 1876
The town was organized with about fourteen families in the valley and a one room school school was built in the southeast portion of the valley. A short time later, district #2 was organized on the west side and following district #3 was organized in town. Frank Riblett was the first officially paid teacher.
Rice L. Wood of Albion became a Territorial Representative for Owyhee county. The county seat being at Silver City, 250 miles away. A petition had been circulated for a new county, but had not made it to Boise in time that year.
The previous stage and mail routes on Kelton Road were changed from going through City of Rocks to traveling through Albion.
Post Office was established.
S. P. Weatherman, Territorial Legislator from Albion, introduced a bill in the Legislature 20, February 1879, which created Cassia County by breaking off from Owyhee County and Legislator George Chapin supported the bill. Cassia County took in the Twin Falls area and East to Oneida County. Marsh Basin was made the County Seat and the name changed to Albion.
1880 Familys at Marsh Basin and Albion
Albertson, Alcanta, Allith, Anderson, Argraves, Barnes, Bascom, Bell, Binley, Bishop, Biuk, Blankinship, Bowers, Bridger, Brim, Brino, Cabb, Cagle, Chase, Clark, Cumings, Cone, Conner, Conrad, Cook, Coon, Darling, Dilley, Done, Donner, Drew, Dunlao, Durfee, Earl, Farrell, Fippin, Forbis, Furgerson, Garraty, Gillespie, Gray, Green, Gwin, Hansen, Harp, Harronn, Hickman, Holbrook, Holcomb, Holmes, Houck, Howell, Huggins, Iverson, Jones, Kaufman, Kelley, Kossoman, Land, Larsen, Lawson, Leavitt, Lemen, Lewis, Luther, Mahony, Marsh, Matheus, Meek, Morton, Muncie, Murphy, Neason, Nielson, Nolan, Norton, Parker, Parks, Peach, Pettengail, Pierson, Pons, Potter, Preston, Proctor, Rains, Rathbone, Richardson, Rivers, Robbins, Roberts, Robison, Sansbury, Sayers, Schwartz, Severe, Shirley, Siderman, Siers, Smith, Snodgrass, Springer, Standridge, Stark, Starrah, Stoddard, Stump, Taylor, Thomas, Tramuer, Trotter, Vanlona, Vice, Walker, Walton, Weatherman, Weedon, Wellman, Wilks, Williams, Wilson, Wood, Wright, Young.
1880 to 1910
Established were restaurants, boarding houses, hotels, stores, livery stables, doctors, lawyers, Saloons, County Newspaper The Busy Bee, Jail, Churches, blacksmith and wagon shop, watchmaker, post office, cemeteries and a brewery. There is two saw mills and one grist mill near the town.
Cattlemen and sheep men struggled for control of unregulated public land and wars emerged over grazing rights. Two murder trials emerged when sheep herders were murdered.
The Oregon Shortline had just been established, creating the town of Minidoka with a train depot. Travelers still had to go by stagecoach or wagon to Albion and surrounding areas.
Hardy Sears' uncompleted hotel was sold to the County Commissioners in 1886 and was finished to be the County Court House ( which still stands in Albion). The County jail was where the park is today.
1890 to 1893
With Idaho Statehood came Federal-grant money for Normal Schools. Albion was a important town in Southern Idaho and in 1893 a Normal School known as a teacher college was established. Another Normal School was established to the North in Lewiston. These schools struggled as the state gave no money for equipment or salaries of instructors. All income was dependent on donations of loyal citizens and tuition. Teachers, students and visitors had to travel by stagecoach or wagon and traveled on dirt rutted roads, They attended from all over the state. Many of the best and most valuable teachers Idaho has ever had came from the teachings at this college.
D. L. Evans Bank opened August 1904, organized in Sept 1904 by David Lloyd Evans of Malad.
Burley was established.
Twin Falls broke off from Cassia County and formed Twin Falls County.
Albion lost the County Seat and Burley became the new County Seat.
In 1935 the Albion Normal School was known to have graduated about 40 percent of all Southern Idaho teachers.
The Albion State Normal School which had been renamed Southern Idaho College of Education in 1947, was closed.
1958 to 1969
The old Albion Normal School was leased to The Magic Valley Christian College from the state.
The state gave the Campus to the City of Albion.
Albion is now a small town who exists of mainly ranches and farms. It lies in a peaceful little valley and many people pass through on their way to ski at Pomerell. The town is still visited by travelers and historians.