Main Towns include:
Ashton, Island Park, Newdale, Parker, St. Anthony (county seat) and Teton and Warm River
Fremont County was established in 1893 from Bingham County. It is bounded on the north by the Continental Divide and Montana and on the east by Wyoming. A portion of the county is in the Targee National Forest.
"Fremont County is named for John C. Fremont, an explorer of the West, known as the "Pathfinder." The first recorded white visitor to the area was Captain Andrew Henry who established a post on the North Fork of the Snake River about five miles from the present town of St. Anthony. The post was used by several succeeding expeditions into the area. The first settlement in the county was at Egin Bench in 1879. A bridge was built across the North Fork at St. Anthony Falls in 1887, and a short time later the townsite of St. Anthony was platted. Mormons moved into the area and built farms." -- The Idaho Almanac, 1977 Edition, State of Idaho.
* * * 1940 Census Released * * *
familysearch.org searchable index and page images
1940 census page images at National Archives
1940 enumeration district maps - Once there select the "State", and go to "County" and then click on "Get ED Map Images" and you will get the entire county.
|BYUI Western States Marriage Index|
GenWeb Archives, Fremont County|
includes Biographies, Cemeteries, WWI Draft Registration, Obituaries & Photographs
|Tourism - Visit Idaho|
We would like to thank Charlotte A. Frew and Mike St. Clair for the work they did on this site as county coordinators for Fremont County. This county is currently up for adoption.
Updated June 2012