6
 
 

Information for Albert Harvey
29 October, 1855 - 18 January, 1925
From The History of Idaho,
The Gem of the Mountains, Vol. II
Pgs. 899 and 900
by James Henry Hawley
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1920
Contributed by Dennis McIndoo

Many hours have been spent providing the
information you see on our website.  Please
let us know, using the email address below,
if you have found useful information or
if you enjoyed the website.  Thanks!

HOMEPAGE
 

Albert Harvey

     Albert Harvey, who began life in Idaho as one of its pioneer settlers and is now the owner of an excellent farm property of one hundred and twenty acres, on which he is successfully engaged in the raising of grain and fruit and also of sheep and cattle, was born in Dekalb county, Illinois, November 29, 1855. During his infancy his parents, John and Grace Harvey, removed to Chicago but after a short time spent there took up their abode at Kankakee, Illinois. A few years later they returned to Chicago and Albert Harvey, who in the meantime had been acquiring a public school education, soon afterward began working at farm labor and was also employed in the shingle mills near Green Bay, Wisconsin. On the 4th of July, 1876, he removed to Iowa, where he engaged in farming on his own account and also for others until 1887, when he came to Idaho and settled on his present place, which is pleasantly and conveniently located about three miles east of Middleton.
     Mr. Harvey first bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, most of which was covered with sagebrush, and here he began his life as an Idaho pioneer, meeting all the hardships, trials and privations incident to the settlement of the frontier. He afterward sold eighty acres of his land to J. L. Shaffer and subsequently acquired a tract of forty acres, thus increasing his place to its present size of one hundred and twenty acres. His daughters, Grace and Maude, also own sixteen acres each, constituting what was the old Clendenen place, and this their father cultivates for them, their land being just across the road from the home farm. Mr. Harvey has upon his place one hundred and six prune trees, which are the only trees that have been profitable, the remainder of the orchard being cut down. In four years he has taken in cash from these prune trees nine hundred and sixty-six dollars and yet the trees are nearly twenty-five years old. He also has sixty head of sheep upon his ranch and one hundred and twenty head of cattle, two of which are registered shorthorn heifers. His farm was at one time the property of Pleasant Latham, who had resided thereon from the time of the Civil war. Mr. Harvey has in his possession an old rawhide bottom chair which Mr. Latham brought with him across the plains and in which his wife would sit and knit before the camp fire when they made camp for the night. She felt real grief at not being able to take this with her when they left the farm, but had to leave it behind, as there was not sufficient room for it on the wagon which carried away their belongings. This chair possesses all the crude marks of being homemade more than a century ago and should be preserved in a state museum as a relic of pioneer times.
     In 1886 Mr. Harvey was married to Miss Margaret M. Calhoun, a native of Iowa City, Iowa, and a daughter of David Calhoun, a farmer. They have ten children: Maude and Grace, both of whom attended the preparatory school at Caldwell and are at home; Amos L., assisting his father on the farm; James A. and Clarence D., who are farming near Nampa; Cecil, who is assisting his brothers at Nampa, and they are this year seeding one hundred and twenty acres to grain; Mary, the wife of Frank Grove, who was in the motor transport service in France; Olive, the wife of Claude Grove, a farmer near Caldwell; Elbert E., twelve years of age; and Kenneth, aged eleven.
     Mr. and Mrs. Harvey have a number of interesting souvenirs which were sent to them by their son-in-law in France, their daughter, Mrs. Frank Grove, living at home while her husband was overseas. Mr. Harvey had an exhibit of Ben Davis apples at the St. Louis exposition in 1904 and received first prize and a silver medal for the finest individual exhibit. He is a man modest, quiet and unassuming in demeanor, finding his greatest joy in the companionship of a happy family and of his grandchildren, who are the joy of his life. He occupies a beautiful modern home situated at the base of the foothills, his place constituting an attractive picture in the landscape.






Full-sized headstone photo available upon request.