Jerome County, Idaho
known in the early 1900's as the North Side
City Of Jerome Celebrates
Coordinator Chris Storey
In Memory of Virginia Ricketts * A great historian *
JEROME COUNTY FACTS
Jerome County was created in
from the parent Counties of
Gooding, Minidoka and Lincoln.
In the 1880's it was part of
Alturas County, which no longer exists.
The county seat is Jerome believed to be
named after Jerome Kuhn, son of W. S. Kuhn who had purchased North Side property
from Frank Buhl, and planned on building a town site on the North Side. Others
believe Jerome was named after Jerome Hill who was commissioned by Kuhn to find
a suitable area for a town site. Traveling all day Jerome Hill and his group
found themselves lost in the lava and sagebrush so made camp for the night.
Morning brought a wonderers view of The Sawtooths to the North and Twin Falls to
the South and all agreed they had searched far enough, markers were placed at
the location and Jerome town site began her legacy.
The land opening was held on September 30, 1907,
where two lots were offered for public auction, following choices of lots were
drawn by lottery. 1907 land was set aside for a cemetery and in 1914 received a
deed for said property. The first train "Idaho Southern Railway" entered Jerome
on December 28, 1908, coming from Gooding. The Pioneer Newspaper owned by H. A.
Stroud and John D. Nims released the first edition on November 12, 1908.
Adeline Becker became Jerome's first postmaster with the Post office beginning
service on August 24, 1907. 1908 brought the first telephone service to Jerome,
managed by Ed Churchman. Jerome School District was organized in 1908 and in
1911 the District became Jerome Independent School District # 33, Transporting
students by school wagon began in 1909. The first telephone service was
connected in 1908 and in 1912 Mountain States obtained ownership. 1922 crystal radio sets made a appearance in
Jerome, do- it-yourself instructions appeared in the North Side News which was enjoyed by many residents.
Jerome County consists of the small farming
communities of Eden, Town site laid out in 1905 and settlement in 1907, Post
office 1912. Hazelton lays 4.1 miles east of Eden and was first settled in 1905,
The town was founded in 1911, named for Hazel Barlow. Jerome is in the
West part of the county, 4 miles East of the Gooding Jerome line.
Towns and Settlements left behind but not
forgotten Falls City, 6 miles east of Jerome had a post office from 1909 to
1916. Greenwood sits in the SE part of the county, First designated as a school
district and than as a community, named for Annie Pike Greenwood. Hillsdale is
in South part of county 2.2 miles SW of Eden, post office from 1908-1913. Hunt
is in S. central of county 6 miles N NW of Eden, post office named for the
Minidoka War Relocation Center where 9400 Japanese Americans were held prisoner
during WWII. Named in honor of Wilson Price Hunt, the Astorian exployer of 1811. Pleasant Plains and Barrymore.
-Jerome was known to be the 43rd County in the
43rd State of the United States of America-
Disclaimer applies to all files as they have been copied as accurate as
possible. Signatures are some times hard to read. Discrepancy's sometimes applies.
Join us at
July 29 2014 Chris Storey 2005-2014
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for
the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any
commercial use or distribution, without the consent
of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages
were obtained from sources permitting
free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same
restrictions/permissions. All persons
contributing material for posting on these pages do so in recognition of
non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no
copyright is violated by their submission.