Biographical Sketch of
The Crum Family
from the History of Cass County, Illinois
Edited by William Henry Perrin
Published by O. L. Baskin & Co. Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1882.
Reprinted in 1968 in its in entirety as part of the
Sesquicentennial History of Cass County, Illinois
Edited by Virgil M. Dowdall
THE CRUM FAMILY. -- James Crum, farmer, Arenzville Precinct. The father of our subject was Matthias Crum, a native of Virginia, and was born July 10, 1774. He lived in the old dominion State until mature in years, and then emigrated to Kentucky. While in this State, he taught school, and there married Miss Margaret Spangler, a native of Louisville; born Nov. 18, 1779. Her father, Daniel, was an early comer to that portion of the State, and was killed by the Indians, while attending to stock on his farm. Matthias Crum came from Kentucky to Morgan County, in 1832, and brought with him his wife and family of six children. He located in Morgan County, and there resided until his death, March 8, 1841, being then sixty-seven years of age. His wife survived him, and died April 24, 1852. His father also, Matthias Crum, was a native born German, a stone mason by trade. He crossed the ocean three times in his life; was a thorough workman, as many of the old stone chimneys erected by him in the old Dominion State, for the F. F. V's, are still standing, as a monument to his skill. James Crum, our subject, and his oldest brother, Christian, made their first visits to Cass County in the year 1830; another brother, David, also came with them, but he pushed on to Missouri, and there died. James and Christian located 320 acres of land in Section thirty-five, township seventeen, range eleven. This they owned and improved in common. Upon this tract they built a small log cabin, and occupied it until they were both married, and their interests became divided. James married Jan. 31, 1833, to Miss Christiana Ream, daughter of John Ream, a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio, thence to Illinois in 1830. He lived with his brother until he had completed his first log cabin in 1834, which he first occupied the winter of 1834-35. Mr. Crum was born Sept. 22, 1806. He commenced farming in an humble way on eighty acres of land. To this he steadily added, until he had at one time several hundred acres. Of this he has sold but little, but has settled it upon his sons and daughters, and now owns about 800 acres, which comprises the homestead. Mrs. Crum died May 1, 1878. Their children, born in the following order, are: David M. (deceased), T. Jefferson, James F., Sarah M., now Mrs. John F. Wilson, of Menard County, Mary E., or Mrs. Williaim H. Thompson, of Jacksonville, Amanda C., now Mrs. W. H. Thompson, of Arenzville Precinct, John M., Marcellus, George W., Marcus L., Charles P., and Oscar (deceased). Mr. Crum cast his first vote for General Jackson, at Charlestown, Ind. He has always evinced a lively interest in the cause of education, and is awake to the public interests of his county and State.
Thomas Jefferson, his oldest living son, was born July 9, 1835. He received such schooling as the early advantages of those times afforded, and grew up to assist his father at a most propitious time, when there was much to be done. He was reared to be a successful farmer. In 1835 he started in life for himself, with a worthy gift from his father of 250 acres of Cass County land. March 11, 1855, he married Miss Sarah A., daughter of William and Lucinda (Turner) Henderson. Mr. Henderson is a native of Indiana, and Mrs. Henderson of Kentucky. They came to Morgan County in 1830. Mrs. Crum, born May 7, 1840, and she has eight children living as follows: Charles E., Marah T., Marion O., Willey S., Ollie E., May L., Henry O., Eben R. Two died in infancy without names.
Marcellus also received 250 acres from the old homestead, upon which he located. He was born Jan 9, 1844, and is the sixth living child of his father. He attend the Wesleyan University at Bloomington; afterward took a commercial course in Chicago. Married, October 19, 1870, to Mary E. Graff, daughter of Washington Graff, of Morgan County. They have four children: Alma C., Jessie F., Elton M., Reuel G.
Dr. George W. Crum, the seventh living child, was born on the homestead, Oct. 1, 1848. He attended school at the State Normal University, two and a half years, at Bloomington, in 1868, 1869 and a part of 1879 [sic?]. He then entered Adrian College, at Adrian, Mich., and in 1872 received the degree of A. M. He then returned to the Wesleyan College, and graduated as an A. B. In the meantime, he spent two years in the study of medicine, at the St. Louis Medical College, and graduated in 1874, receiving his degree as M.D. The course of study he pursued may seem rather irregular, but it was taken as his choice, to avoid the discipline under one set of minds. Dr. Crum practiced medicine about four years, but is gradually abandoning practice, and has embraced farming, on account of failing health. He entered farming in 1869, when he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land adjoining the homestead. Aug. 21, 1878, he married Mary E. Malone, daughter of David Malone, of Evansville, Ind. Mrs. Crum is a graduate of Jacksonville Athæneaum, and was born April 10, 1856. They have two children: Cora A. and Olga I.
Marcus L. Crum was born Jan 16, 1851, on the homestead. He received his education at the State Normal University, at Normal, Ill., and at the Wesleyan University, Bloomington, where he graduated in the class of 1874. He first took the degree of B. S., and since an honorary degree of M.S. has been conferred upon him. He, with the others, received 250 acres from the homestead property, as a present, and to that has been added, until he now owns about 560 acres, 160 acres having been presented to him by John Stubblefield, whose daughter, Miss Mary F., he married March 30, 1875. They have three children: Edith W., Arthur E., and Opal C. A full page portrait of our subject appears elsewhere in this volume (see index).
(page 313-317*, Perrin's History of Cass County, Illinois)
* Note: The text on page 314 is continued on page 317. The intervening pages, 315 and 316, contained a portait of L. J. Cire, which was not reproduced in the copy of the book used as a source of this text.