JULIAN A. LE BRUN
JULIAN ALBERT LE BRUN, one of the faithful and capable public officials of Cook County, was born at Columbus, Ohio, November 8, 1838. He is the only son of Prof. Thomas F. Le Brun and Rebecca Duncan. Thomas F. Le Brun was born in York, Engand [sic]. He received a musical education, and while still a young man came to America. He first located at Buffalo, New York, where he played the violin for a time in the orchestra of the Eagle Street Theater. He subsequently removed to Columbus, Ohio, and visited various other cities, performing in numerous orchestras. In 1850 he became a resident of Chicago, and organized the first theatrical orchestra in the city. His first engagement was with John B. Rice, and he afterward played at McVickers and other leading playhouses, becoming one of the best-known violin performers in the West. He died in Chicago, on the 8th of October, 1884, at the age of seventy-nine years.
Mrs. Rebecca Le Brun died in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, about 1855, at the age of forty years. She was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to America with her father, Robert Duncan. The latter became interested in shipping on the Erie and Illinois Canals, and later on the Great Lakes, where he owned several vessels. He first made his home in Buffalo, but soon removed to Chicago, where his death occurred in 1863. Besides Julian A., Mr. and Mrs. Le Brun were the parents of a daughter, Frances, now the wife of Thomas Powell, of Chicago.
The subject of this sketch was a small boy when the family located in Chicago, where he was educated at the public schools. At the age of sixteen years he secured employment in a billiard-room, and a few years later went to Milwaukee and opened a billiard-room in Youngs Block, at the corner of Main and Wisconsin Streets. He was thus employed when the War of the Rebellion broke out, and soon after the beginning of hostilities he enlisted as a member of the Third Wisconsin Battery of Artillery. He served nearly two years in the Army of the Ohio. In common with many of his comrades, he was afflicted with chronic diarrha, which kept him in a hospital a considerable portion of the time.
After his discharge from the service he returned to Chicago, and in 1865 was appointed to a position in the County Recorders office. His duty was that of folio writer, but after a few years he was promoted to the position of index clerk, which he filled regularly and satisfactorily until 1892, when a change in the administration of the county affairs caused him to vacate the office. About 1870 he introduced the publication of a daily report of real-estate transfers through the newspapers, and prepared this report regularly during his connection with the Recorders office. His experience of nearly thirty years in the compilation of county records made him thoroughly familiar with the details of the work, and his duties were always promptly and accurately performed. Soon after severing his connection with the Recorders office he was appointed vault clerk in the office of the County Clerk, a position of considerable responsibility, which he has ever since filled.
Mr. Le Brun was married, in Milwaukee, in 1861, to Miss Emma Comstock, daughter of Charles Comstock, of Portage City, Wisconsin. Mrs. Le Brun was born in Wisconsin, and is the mother of a daughter, Hattie, now Mrs. H. S. De Sollar, of Denver, Colorado.
Mr. Le Brun is a member of Post Number 28, Grand Army of the Republic. He joined the Masonic order early in life, and served as a member of Milwaukee Lodge Number 3. He has been a stanch Republican from youth, casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for President in 1860. He is held in the highest regard by his business contemporaries and social acquaintances, a sentiment which he merits in the highest degree.
-- Submitted on 11/29/99 by Sherri Hessick ( email@example.com )