ALBERT GALLATIN LULL

Source: Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois with Portraits 3rd. ed. revised and extended (Chicago: Calumet Book & Engraving Co., 1895), pp. 541-542

ALBERT GALLATIN LULL was born in Windsor, Vermont, February 20, 1827, and died in Chicago, February 13, 1892.  His parents, Joel and Celia (Smith) Lull, were natives of the Green Mountain State, the Lull family being one of the oldest in that commonwealth. Mrs. Celia Lull died in Windsor, and her husband afterwards came to Chicago, where he served as constable for several years.  His death occurred in 1880, at North Attleboro, Massachusetts.

After leaving the public schools, Albert G. Lull became a student for a time at Dartmouth College. At Springfield, Massachusetts, he took up the study of gunsmithing and mechanics. In 1849, he came to Chicago and obtained employment in the machine shop of H. P. Moses. While thus engaged, he assisted in the construction of the first water works in the city. He was subsequently employed by Foss Brothers, in a large planing mill on Canal Street, near Monroe, the site of which is now occupied by the Union Passenger Station and railroad tracks. When this mill was torn down, preparatory to the construction of the depot, he purchased the machinery, in company with his brother-in-law, Isaac Holmes, and built a new mill on the west side of Canal Street, between Jackson and Van Buren Streets. The firm dealt in lumber and carried on the manufacture of packing boxes, doing an extensive business until 1871, when the entire plant was consumed in the fire, which occurred on Saturday night, the 8th of October, preceding by one day the memorable "great fire." The disaster which destroyed the mills of Lull & Holmes made a gap which saved the West Side from the ravages of the succeeding fire. The firm rescued the safe containing their books from the ruins and placed them in the office of a friend, on the south side of Van Buren Street, only to be lost in the greater conflagration of the following day. This alone inflicted a serious loss on Mr. Lull, who never recovered his fortunes and suffered a permanent loss of health from the shock and exertions in trying to rescue his property. He retired a few years later from all business activities.

On the 5th of April, 1855, he was married to Mrs. Mary Sammons, daughter of John and Ellen Holmes, widow of Elijah H. Sammons. Mrs. Lull was born at Bradford, England, and came to America with her parents in 1835, arriving in Chicago in April of that year. She is still active in mind and body, and relates many incidents of pioneer life in Chicago. She is a member of the Cathedral Church of SS. Peter and Paul, in which Mr. Lull was also a communicant. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lull—Richard H., who is a physician now practicing in Chicago, and Mary C., who is the wife of Mark R. Sherman, an attorney of the same city.

Mr. Lull was a prominent member of the Masonic order, and likewise, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which last fraternity he had taken all the degrees and was a member of the Grand Lodge of the United States. From the first organization of the Republican party, he was one of its most steadfast and consistent supporters, and as a man and citizen, he ever sought to promote the material, moral and intellectual growth of the community in which he lived.

— Submitted by Sherri Hessick on September 27, 2003.

DISCLAIMER:  The submitter is not related to the subject of this biography nor is she related to anyone mentioned in the biography.