ANDREW T. SHERMAN
ANDREW TAYLOR SHERMAN was born in Suffield, Connecticut, on September 1, 1821. He is a scion of a family well known in American history, and throughout his life has displayed the same spirit of patriotism and conscientious motives which distinguished his progenitors. He is a son of Charles Sherman and Jennet Taylor. The father, who was a native of New Haven, moved about 1820 to Suffield, where he resided upon a farm until his death, which occurred at the age of sixty-two years. During the War of 1812 he served as Colonel, having charge of the coast defenses between New Haven and New London. He filled numerous positions of honor and trust in that locality, and was elected a Member of the Legislature on the day of his death. His father, John Sherman, was a grandson of Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The family, which is well known in every state in the Union, was among the earliest to locate in New England. Three different branches thereof settled, respectively, in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Charles Sherman was first married to Sophia Staples. Their only son, Charles Austin Sherman, became a prominent attorney in New York City.
Jennet, second wife of Charles Sherman, senior, died at Suffield when fifty years of age. She was born in New York City, and was a daughter of John Taylor, long known as "the honest Scotchman of Wall Street." Mrs. Sherman bore her husband thirteen children, whose record is as follows: Margaret, who was the wife of William Watt, died in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Henry became a prominent merchant of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and subsequently removed to Chicago, where his death occurred at the age of seventy-three years. James is a leading citizen of Brodhead, Wisconsin. Andrew T. is the next in order. Jane T. is Mrs. James Osgood, of Tarrytown, New York. Harriet is the wife of Dr. Edwin Strong, D. D., of Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Eliza, Mrs. J. J. Sloan, is now deceased. Jennet resides in Elizabeth, New Jersey, where she officiates as Treasurer of an orphan asylum. John T. is extensively engaged in mercantile business in New York and resides in Brooklyn. William died while residing in Chicago, and Robert at Orange, New York. Roger died in childhood; and Walter, who became a veteran of the great Civil War, died at Wilmette.
While a boy, Andrew T. Sherman attended school for a time in New York City, but completed his education at the Baptist College at Suffield, Connecticut, graduating at the age of twenty years. He then, in 1841, removed to Wiosconsin, and engaged in farming in Genesee Township, Waukesha County, becoming one of the earliest settlers in that locality. He lived there until 1850, when he went to California, making the trip by way of the Isthmus. While in San Francisco Harbor, he received an injury by the explosion of the boiler of a steamer, which made necessary the amputation of one of his legs. As soon as he was able, he returned home, and in 1853 located in Chicago. His first employment here was in the capacity of clerk and bookkeeper for a real-estate firm. He subsequently founded the banking house of A. T. Sherman & Company. Foreseeing the coming financial crisis of 1857, he paid up all his obligations and suspended banking. Immediately after the bombardment of Fort Sumter he entered the army, and after serving through MacClellan's campaign he was employed in the mustering and disbursing departments of the state, at Springfield, Illlinois, continuing in that capacity until six months after the close of hostilities. He afterward served seven years in the office of the United States Commissioner at Chicago, and spent twenty-four years in the money-order department of the Chicago Postoffice.
In 1854 Mr. Sherman became one of the first residents of Evanston, making his home for the next nine years in that village, where one of the principal thoroughfares perpetuates his name. In 1859, in conjunction with F. H. Benson, he laid out Rose Hill Cemetery, purchasing the ground now occupied thereby and organizing a stock company for its improvement. He was the first Secretary of the association and a member of its Board of Directors, and has ever since retained an interest in the corporation. In company with Mr. Benson, in 1859, he also organized the company which built the first gravel road from Chicago to Evanston. Since April 1, 1871, he has resided in Wilmette, where he is regarded as one of the leading citizens.
On the 4th of July, 1843, he married to Miss Sophia Dodgson, daughter of Matthew Dodgson, of North Prairie, Wisconsin. She died on the 15th of January, 1861, leaving four children, one of whom died in infancy, and the survivors are: Jane E., wife of Rev. James Haney, D. D., of Normal, Illinois; Adeline J., Mrs. R. Palmer, of White, South Dakota; and Charles Edwin, of Sherman, South Dakota. On New Year's Day of 1862 Mr. Sherman was married to Miss Julia Aldrich, daughter of Milton and Eunice (Buell) Aldrich, of Enfield, New Hampshire. Mrs. Sherman, who continues to be his helpmate and adviser, has become the mother of four children, two of whom died in childhood, and the survivors are John Beveridge and Milton Andrew. The former is an employe [sic] of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, and the latter occupies a clerical position in Chicago. Mr. Sherman also has nine grandchildren and seven great-granchildren.
Mr. Sherman has always been a pioneer in church and society work. The first Congregational Church at Genesee, Wisconsin, was organized in his log cabin soon after he located there. He recently attended the fiftieth anniversary of this society, being the only survivor among its original members. Soon after he located at Evanston, he set about the formation of a chuch at that place, and at a meeting held in his residence the Congregational Church of that city, now one of its strongest religious organizations, was established and he was the first Clerk of the society. A third society of that denomination was formed in his house soon after he removed to Wilmette, and he and his wife have always been among its most active members. Mr. Sherman was the first Clerk and is now a Deacon in this society.
Since 1851 he has been connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has filled all the chairs of Chicago Encampment Number 10. He has filled the position of Deputy Grand Master of Illinois. Since the organization of the Republican party, he has given hearty allegiance to its principles, and has filled numerous official positions in the gift of his fellow-citizens of the various localities where he has dwelt. He was one of the earliest Justices of the Peace in Genesee, Wisconsin, and the citizens of Wilmette have honored him with the same distinction. For several years he was President of the Village Board, and has always manifested a deep concern in the public affairs of that place. In 1865 he was the Postmaster of the House of Representatives of Illinois, and all his business and official duties have been faithfully and efficiently discharged.
-- Submitted by Sherri Hessick (firstname.lastname@example.org)