History of Crawford and Clark Counties, Illinois, Vol. II.
William Henry Perrin, ed.
(Chicago: O.L. Basking & Co. Historical Publishers)
Part III: Biographical Sketches
Joseph L. Allison
Pension Agent, Marshall, is a native of Hancock County, Ky., born October 7, 1823. The parents of Mr. Allison, William L. and Eliza B. (Lewis) Allison, were natives of Kentucky. His father was born November 23, 1794, and died in Coles County, Ill., August 21, 1854. His mother, Eliza B. Lewis, was born in Hancock County, Ky., Feburary 24, 1795, where his mother died November 26, 1831. His father was in early life a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Conference, but subsequently began the practice of medicine, which he continued until his death. In the spring of 1833, they removed to Illinois, and settled in Coles County, near where Mattoon now stands. Here our subject grew to manhood and received the elements of an English education in schools of his county. These were what were known as subscription schools, and were limited to three months each year. For some years previous to his marriage, he was engaged in farming and dealing in stock. He was married in Clark County, March 1, 1847, to Miss Harriet A. Easton, daughter of Charles and Sarah (Swearenger) Easton. Mrs. Allison was born in Lexington, Ky., March 23, 1828. Mr. Allison began life, as before mentioned, as a farmer, in Coles County about 1844, which he continued until 1855, when he removed to Marshall, in Clark County, and is still a resident of the place. The first three years of his residence here he was not actively engaged, owing to physical disability. In 1858, he was appointed City Marshal. Mr. Allison refers, with some degree of pride, to the fact that he carried a hod in the construction of Mr. Dulaneys dwelling house. In 1862, he formed a partnership with Uriah Manley in the Claim Agency business, which, in connection with a real estate agency, he continues still. He was admitted to practice law March 25, 1863. Politics, Republican. They have six children living: Anna E., born March 18., 1850; Joseph L., born October 7, 1851; Sarah M., born May 12, 1853; Charles E., born June 12, 1859; Edgar L., born April 15, 1862; Laura M., born August 8, 1867. Family residence on corner of Hudson and Handy streets.
County Treasurer, Marshall, is a native of Clark County, Ill., born in York Township, three miles south from Darwin. He is a son of Steven and Nancy (Shaw) ARCHER, who settled this county in 1817. Subsequently, was educated in the town of Marshall, his parents having moved here when he was eight years old. He was born July 25, 1829. Began business first as a clerk in the dry goods house of Booth & Greenough, for whom he worked about two years. Then employed himself for awhile in teaching public schools. Afterward worked for Lynn & Reed for six years, and bought them out in 1861, conducting the business for one year, when he closed out. Subject was married in Marshall, November 6, 1851, to Miss Maria Drake, daughter of Rivers and Elizabeth Drake. She was born in Virginia September 20, 1827; died in Marshall, July 27, 1855. By that union there were three children, only one of whom is now living: Edgar and Emma were born February 18, 1853; Cora was born June 8, 1855. Edgar and Cora Archer died in infancy. Emma is married to Augustus markel, of Marshall, December 1, 1875. Mr. Archer was again married in Marshall, November 3, 1859, to Mrs. Eleanora Emmerson, of Ohio. She was born in Canton, Ohio. Subject was for fifteen months employed as Cashier for Quartermaster Manly, and settled his Governmental affairs at his death, which occurred in the fall, 1864. Has served as the Revenue Assessor, enumerating officer of the census of Clark County, 1870. In January, 1873, at special election, he was elected Treasurer of Clark County, which position he has held for nine years. His official record is too well known to need further mention in these lines. He is a Republican, and a member of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Pythias.
John M. Archer
Carpenter, Marshall, is a native of Clark County, Ill. He is the fourth of a family of either children of Jesse and Jane Archer. His father was born in Warren County, Ohio, July 2, 1799, and came with his brother to Illinois in 1816. They came by the way of the Ohio and Wabash rivers on keel boats, and made a settlement in Darwin Township. The entire family of Zachariah and Jane Archer came to this county perhaps in 1817, though the exact date is a matter of dispute. Here in the wilds the boys grew to manhood. Jesse married in Indiana to Miss Jane McDonald. She descends from a Scotch family and was born in Knox County, Ind., 1802. Mr. Archer brought his bride from his fathers home in Indiana to the Western wilds on horseback. Jesse Archer took part in the Black Hawk war in which his brother, William B., obtained the title of Colonel. Jesse Archer raised a family of eight children. John M. Archer was born on Walnut Prairie, in York Township, on the 7th day of February, 1834. When he was six years old, his parents moved to what is known as the "grand turn," where he grew to manhood, and did not enjoy the benefits of a free school. When nineteen years old, he began the trade of carpenter, which he used as a means to obtain money with which to educate himself. He spent several years in traveling in different parts of the United States, but returned to Marshall in 1865, and on the 8th day of August of that year married Miss Maria Smith, of Ohio. She was born November 14, 1836. Their family consists of three children, all born in Marshall. Cora L. was born August 23, 1869; Grace G. was born October 6, 1871; Ernest Archer was born October 4, 1872. Jesse Archer, father of John M., died at the old homestead August 6, 1862. The mother died in Marshall on the 12th of March, 1868. John M. Archer stills follows the business of contractor and builder, and as built many of the modern buildings of the city of Marshall. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Family residence, corner of Michigan and North street.
Ivan G. Barlow
Teacher, Marshall. The subject of these lines, Ivan G. Barlow, is a son of the late J. Milton Barlow, M.D., who was for many years a resident of Crawford County. His father was educated for a physician at the Rush Medical College of Chicago and began practice at Bell Air, in Jasper County. He afterward located at Redmond, in Edgar County, where he practiced for about fourteen years. That he might have the better facility for educating his children, he removed his family to Westfield, Ill., in 1874. From here he removed to Eaton, Crawford County, where he followed his chosen profession until compelled by ill health to abandon practice, which he did, retiring to his farm near Martinsville, Ill., where he died October 12, 1880. Susan R. (Rubottom) Barlow, mother of I. G. Barlow, is a native of Indiana. She is a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Rubottom, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Indiana. Mrs. Barlow is still living in the old homestead near Martinsville. Subject was born in Jasper County, Ill., February 23, 1858; educated principally at Westfield, where he was qualified for the position of teacher, which he has acceptably filled for the past eight years, principally in Clark County. He is now in his third year in reading law. He was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in Marshall, April 5, 1881, a position held by his grandfather in this place many years ago. He was married in Marshall, December 6, 1879, to Miss Hattie Knowlton, daughter of Benjamin Knowlton, of Massachusetts. She was born in Terre Haute, Ind., in June, 1859.
Collector, Marshall, is a son of William and Sarah Bartlett. His father is a son of William and Sarah Bartlett. His father is a son of John Bartlett, who settled on the Walnut Prairie in the year 1817. He was one of the first men of the town of Marshall. William Bartlett was born in Clark County, Ill., in 1828, and in early life was engaged in farming; later in the milling business, and afterward as a produce merchant. He was married in Marshall, in the year 1854, to Miss Sarah McKeen, daughter of William and Nancy McKeen, and a native of the county. She was born in the year 1832. They raised a family of four children, of whom Walter is the oldest. He was born in Marshall April 10, 1855. The second of the family is Frank Bartlett; the third, Mary E. Bartlett, married Charles Ewalt; and fourth, Sallie Bartlett. Mrs. Sarah Bartlett, mother of the subject, died in Marshall on the 11th of May, 1863, and the father died in the same place on the 26th of February, 1869. The Bartlett family is among the oldest of Clark County, and several of its honored members are still residents of the county. Walter is engaged in an abstract office, and does a general collection business. He is a member of Masonic fraternity.
Henry C. Bell
Lawyer, Marshall, is a native of Clark County, Ill. He was born in York Township January 5, 1849. He is a son of Wiley O. and Sarah E. Bell. His father is a native of North Carolina, and was born on the 16th of March, 1816. Reason Bell, father of Wiley O. Bell, came to Clark County, Ill. in the year 1819, an settled near the present site of York, where Wiley O. grew to manhood and where H. C. Bell was born. His mother was a native of Crawford County, Ill. She is a daughter of Henry and Jemima Buckner. She was born July 25, 1832, and was married to W. O. Bell on the 1st day of February, 1848. Henry C. Bell received the elements of an English education in the common schools, and when in his sixteenth year, on October, 1864, became a member of Company K, of Twenty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He participated in Hoods campaign under Gen. Thomas, and was mustered out October 29, 1865, at Marietta, Ga. Returning, he gave his attention to study, and after two terms work in the common schools of the county, he became a pupil in the Westfield College, where he remained for four years. He afterward attended the Normal Institute at Carbondale, Ill. The intervals between school terms were employed in teaching, and after finishing his studies, was for several years a teacher, during which time he improved his opportunities to read law. He read with the firm of Scholfield & Wilkin, but as a consequence of the election of Scholfield to the Supreme Judgeship, he entered the office of Dulaney & Golden. He was admitted to practice June 5, 1875. In July of that year, he was appointed to the office of County Superintendent of Schools of Clark County, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of P. A. McKane. He entered on the practice of his profession in 1875, and has since been a member of the bar of this county. He is at this time City Attorney for Marshall, an office to which he was elected in April, 1882. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Honor. Mr. Bell was married in Hudsonville, Crawford County, July 22, 1875, to Miss Stella Wilhite. She is a native of Crawford County, Ill., and born August 18, 1855. Mrs. Bell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hutsonville. Their family consists of two children, both of whom were born in Marshall. Their names are as follows: Edna Bell, born November 25, 1877; Roscoe Bell, born May 2, 1881.
Retired, Marshall. It is a pleasure to chronicle the history of a man who, by native energy and honest industry, has stemmed the tide of poverty and adverse fortune, and come to old age with an unsullied character and a competence for his declining years. Such a man is the subject of these lines, Hubert Benedict, born in Chenango County, N. Y., on the 28th day of November, 1816. He remained in New York with his parents, Eliakim and Nancy Benedict, until he was sixteen years old. At this time he and an elder brother, in company with some emigrants, came to Huron County, Ohio. When they arrived there, their earthly store consisted of the clothes they wore and 95 cents, which was the cash account of Hubert. Armed with their willing hands and possessed of determined spirits, they sought work in the county. Work was soon obtained by Hubert, and he gave the bank account to his older brother, who sought employment elsewhere. After two years service on the farm, he began driving a stage team, a work which he followed in Ohio for several years. He was married in Lancaster, Ohio, on the 24th of April, 1837, to Miss Nancy Kelley, daughter of Felix and Christina Kelley. She was born in Ireland, April 25, 1816, and came to the United States with her parents when she was fifteen years old. In 1839, they came with ox team to Terre Haute, Ind., and drove stage from that place to Martinsville, Ill. In 1842, they made their first residence in Marshall, where they remained two years, at which time, being made an agent for the stage line from Terre Haute to Springfield, Ill., he moved to Charleston, Ill., but returned to Marshall in June of 1846. Since that time, he has been a resident of the place. In that year, he embarked in the grocery business, which he followed very successfully for several years. In 1856, his entire property, consisting of dwelling and two business houses, was destroyed by fire, causing him a loss of about $5,000. In 1858, he built the present brick block on the old site, having previously erected a large dwelling house. He now owns two farms, besides his extensive city property. They have a family of nine children, of whom six are now living. The eldest, Lyman Benedict, was born March 11, 1839, and died August 6, 1841; Margaret Benedict, born November 12, 1840, and died October 1, 1841; Nancy Benedict, born November 2, 1842, and married to N. Robinson; Mary J. Benedict, born September 31, 1844, now the wife of T. J. Golden; William Benedict born January 18, 1846, married to Mary Montgomery; Maggie Benedict, born August 5, 1848, married to Chester Littlefield; Josephine Benedict, born April 13, 1850, and married to D. Tremble; Melissa Benedict, born April 18, 1852, and died June 18, 1853; Hubert F. Benedict, born November 26, 1853. Mrs. Benedict and children are members of the Catholic Church of Marshall. Hubert Benedict is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
J. B. Bennett
Liquor dealer, Marshall, is a native of Clark County, Ill., and was born on the 7th of May, 1846. He is a son of William P. Bennett, so long and favorably known in this county. His father was born in York State June 25, 1808, and settled in the township of York in the pioneer days of this countys history. Here he was married to Miss Sarah Botsford. She is a native of Belleville, Ill., born April 2, 1820. William Bennett was engaged in farming and milling, and for some time was the Sheriff of Clark County, and Circuit Clerk, offices which he filled to acceptance. He assisted in the apprehending and breaking-up of the memorable "Birch gang," who for years were such a terror to this county and adjoining country. He went to California in 1849, and after returning was elected to the office of Circuit Clerk of Clark County for eight years. He died in Marshall, where his widow still lives, on the 17th of July, 1880. They have raised a family of eight children, of whom one is dead, and of whom J. B. Bennett is the second. Our subject was raised in Clark County, Ill., and educated in the common schools. In 1872, he began work for a Cincinnati firm as traveling salesman, for whom he worked until he opened business for himself in Marshall in 1882. He is a member of the Knights of Honor.
William T. Besser
Miller, Marshall, the youngest of a large family born to Bates and Huldah Besser, was born in York Township, Clark County, on the 26th day of October, 1842. His father is a native of Switzerland, born June 15, 1797, and came to the United States with his parents when about ten years old. They settled at Buffalo, N.Y., where they resided for several years. When Bates was seventeen years old, he went to Philadelphia and served an apprenticeship to the trade of cabinet maker. He came to Illinois about 1823 and settled in York Township of Clark County. Here he was married to Miss Huldah Hollenback, a daughter of Lawrence Hollenback, one of the pioneers of Clark County. Bates Besser died in York Township September 13, 1855. Mrs. Huldah Besser was a native of the State of New York, born October 10, 1805, and came to Illinois from that State with her parents in 1816. She died in Marshall September 9, 1873. William T. Besser was raised in Clark County, where he received a common school education. He was married on the 19th day of April, 1874, to Miss Mary Craig, daughter of James and Mary Craig, of Sullivan County, Ind., where she was born October 10, 1853. Her father was killed in battle in the civil war. Their family consists of a son and daughter, Daniel Besser, born in Vermillion, Edgar County, January 30, 1875; Bertha Besser, born in Marshall, Clark County, August 24, 1880. In 1866, Mr. Besser associated himself with A. M. Payne in the milling business, in the first steam flouring mill of Marshall, known as the "Old Marshall Mill." This mill burned in 1874, and the two years following he and his present partner, John Marvin, were in the milling business in Vermillion, Edgar County. Returning to Marshall in 1876, he bought a one-third interest in the "Quaker City Mill," which was erected by Joseph Cork in 1874. Mr. Besser is a member of the Masonic Order and I.O.O.F., and his wife is a member of the Christian Church of Marshall.
William L. Bishop
Merchant, Marshall, is a native of Crawford County, Ill., and was born on the 20th of May, 1851. His father, Silas Bishop, was born in 1818, in North Carolina, and came to Illinois with his parents, who settled in Crawford County in 1830. Here he grew to manhood, and in 1841, was married to Abigail Guyer, daughter of E. and S. Guyer. She was born in Crawford County, Ill., on the 13th of July, 1820, and still survives. William L. Bishop is the fourth of a family of six children. Besides the common schools of Crawford County, he enjoyed the privileges of a course in the Westfield College, after which he taught school for four years. In 1875, he embarked in the mercantile trade at Hudsonville, and has been in active business since. He came to Marshall, Clark County, in October, 1880, where he is now doing a flourishing grocery business, and is associated with John Olwin, of Hudsonville, Ill. Mr. Bishop was married, on the 20th of January, 1880, in Hudsonville, to Miss Emma E. Adams. She was born in Preble County, Ohio, August 31, 1861. He is a member of the Masonic Order and K. of H.
County Clerk, Marshall, is a native of Westfield Township, Clark County, born July 17, 1838. He is a son of William and Zerilda (Bennett) Black, who died when Harrison was about two years old. After the death of his parents, he was cared for by his grandfather Bennett. He received the elements of an English education at the common schools of Clark County. He began the course in the Marshall College, but gave it up to become a defender of his country. In 1861, (May 17), he enlisted in Company H, Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry (Capt. Harlan), in which he served during the war and was mustered out as Captain on the 28th of January, 1866, at Springfield, Ill. He participated in the battles of Perryville, siege of Corinth, battle of Stone River, Chickamauga and the Atlanta campaign, Jonesboro, Franklin and Nashville, besides many of less importance. On the 13th of August, 1857, he was married, in Clark County to Miss Lucy R. Stark, daughter of Aden and Amanda Stark. She was born in Clark County, June 15, 1838, and died August 8, 1859. After returning from the war, Mr. Black was married, October 25, 1866, to Miss Emma R. B. Devers, daughter of John and America Devers, of Clark County. She was a native of Brown County, Ohio, born August 4, 1847. He has one daughter as a result of the first marriage, Emma A. Black, born in Clark County June 16, 1858, married to Harry Schultz of Pennsylvania. In 1871, he embarked in the drug business at Martinsville, Clark Co., which business he still continues. He was elected to the office of County Clerk November, 1882. In politics, he is Republican, and a member of the Masonic fraternity.
John K. Black
Merchant, Marshall. John K. Black is the second of a family of eleven children of John A. Black and Nancy Baird. His parents are yet living, and are highly respected citizens of Marshall Township, Clark County. John K. was born January 4, 1848, in Wabash Township, and was principally reared on the farm, in the meantime receiving the advantages of a common school education. At the age of seventeen, he decided to qualify himself for some useful pursuit, and decided on the trade of harness maker, which he learned from Messrs. Griffith & Fraker, and at which he worked until 1874. At this date he engaged in the produce business, which he continued for some time with fair success. About 1878, he formed a partnership with the late John Coughlan in the grocery business, which partnership continued until the failing health of Mr. Coughlan compelled him to suspend business, and travel for his health, which h did, returning in 1881, when they again associated themselves in trade, this time in the poultry business. This partnership continued until the fall of 1881, when Mr. C. was compelled, by loss of health, to retire from the business. Mr. Black then formed a partnership with Lyman Lycan, in the grocery and provision business, which they have conducted ever since with satisfactory success and increasing trade. They are located on the southwest corner of Public Square. Mr. Black was married, September 15, 1868, to Miss Mary Ownby, then of Coles County, Ill., but a native of Lawrenceburg, Ind., where she was born July 7, 1848. She died February 24, 1875. He was married to his present wife, Miss Mary L. Warriner, on the 1st of March, 1881. She was born June 8, 1857, in Greensburg, Decatur Co., Ind. They have one child, a daughter, Ida Elnora Black, born in Marshall March 6, 1863. Mr. Black is a member of the Masonic order, and both he and his wife are honored members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Retired, Marshall, is a native of Jefferson County, Ky. He was born near Louisville on the 14th day of February, 1832. His father, Henry Briscoe, is a descendant of an English family, and he was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He was born in Virginia and came from the State of Kentucky to Illinois in 1835. He settled near where Westfield is located, where he soon after died. Catharine Brooks, mother of A. B. Briscoe, was of German descent; she was a native of Virginia, and died soon after the death of her husband. Allen B. was thus early in life left an orphan, but was cared for by the older members of the family, who kept the children together. At this time, educational advantages were inferior, and Mr. Briscoe thinks that, when all told, he went to school about one year. He began life for himself by hauling lead ore from Galena to Milwaukee. After some time thus spent, he engaged in stock dealing for some six or seven years. In 1852, he was elected to the office of County Clerk of Clark County, and moved to Marshall in 1853, and has been a resident of the town ever since. He was continuously elected to the office of County Clerk for twenty-four years from fall of 1852. He married, in Marshall, on January 24, 1859, to Miss Mary J. Corey, daughter of Lova and Martha (Archer) Corey. She was born in Winnebago County, Ill., July 2, 1837. Her father was a native of New York, and came to Illinois about 1820, and is among the very first settlers of Walnut Prairie. Her mother was a daughter of Charles K. ARCHER, and was born in Knox County, Ind., in 1816, and came to Illinois with her parents when about one year old. She was married to Lova Corey in 1830; had a family of ten children, of whom Mrs. Briscoe is the third. Mr. and Mrs. Briscoe have a family of four children whose names and ages follow: Carroll Briscoe, born April 19, 1860; Cora Briscoe, born April 19, 1864; Walter L. Briscoe, born May 12, 1871; Jeanette Briscoe, born February 5, 1875. The oldest of these children, Carroll, is now a grocer merchant in Marshall, having embarked with H. B. Dulaney in that business in August of 1882. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Briscoe owns a farm in York Township, and one adjoining the city of Marshall.
merchant, Marshall, is a native of Clark County, Ill., born at Darwin, November 2, 1848. His parents, Stephen R. and Lucinda Doll, are remembered among the early pioneers of this county. Stephen Doll was born in Stark County, Ohio, May 8, 1819, and came with his parents to Clark County when a boy. They settled at Darwin, where he grew to manhood and married May 27, 1845. About 1851, he came to Marshall, where, until 1869, he was engaged in the mercantile trade, in which he was very successful. He was appointed, during the war, by the Government, as Collector of Revenue. He died in Marshall on the 27th of September, 1873. Lucinda Bidlecome, mother of D. D. Doll, was a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Asher D. and Lucretia Biddlecome, and came to Clark County, Ill., with her parents when a small girl. She was born in Kentucky May 4, 1825, and died at Marshall November 4, 1861. D. D. Doll is the oldest of a family of two children, having one sister, Emma C., who is married to Mr. Hamilton Sutton. He was educated in the public school of Marshall and at Westfield College. In 1869, he embarked in the grocery and provision business with Stephen L. Bradley, and still continues under the firm name of Bradley & Doll. They are located on Main street, north of public square, Marshall. Mr. Doll was married in Marshall, February 16, 1876, to Miss Belle Littlefield, daughter of John and Amelia Littlefield. She is a native of Clark County, born in Marshall March 11, 1855. Their family consists of a son and a daughter, named as follows: Lewis J. Doll, born in Marshall March 12, 1880; Emma Doll, born in Marshall August 24, 1882.
miller, Marshall. The subject of these lines, Edward Emerson, is of a New England family, born in New Hampshire on the 1st of April, 1844. His father, Isaiah Emerson, was born in Vermont in 1811, and died in New Hampshire in 1861. His mother, Elizabeth P. (Bean) Emerson, was a native of New Hampshire, born in 1820, and died in that State in April, 1881. Edward is the oldest of a family of seven children, and grew to manhood in his native State. He graduated from the Kimball Union Academy in 1867, and in the fall of the same year he came to Illinois. He engaged in teaching school near Charleston, Ill., during the winter of 1867-68, coming to Marshall, Clark County, in the spring of 1868. Here, for three years, he was employed in teaching, and was here married, March, 1870, to Miss Alice Doll, daughter of Stephen Doll, of Marshall. She was born in Marshall, and died there in 1871. As a result of this union, there is one daughter Kate May Emerson. Mr. Emerson was married to Miss Mary F. Porter on the 10th of June, 1875. She is a daughter of Lemuel and Phoebe Porter, of Carthage, Ind., where she was born. Lemuel Porter was born in Ohio in 1817, and died in Indiana in 1869. Phebe (Brosius) Porter was born in Virginia in 1823, and is still living. They have a family of four sons Daniel, born April 30, 1876; Robbie, born August 30, 1877, and died October 1, 1882; Bennie, born July 31, 1879, and died September 16, 1880; Burdette, born April 14, 1881. From October, 1871, to April, 1882, Mr. Emerson was employed as a book keeper and salesman in the store of Bradley and Doll. He is now associated with Mr. John Archer in the grain trade. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and for several years has performed the office of City Clerk; politics, Republican.
Thomas BrownMechanic, Marshall, was born at Bedale, in Yorkshire, England, December 8, 1819. His father, John Brown, and mother, Alice (Kell) Brown, were natives of England, but descended from a Scotch family. They died in their native country, leaving a family of nine children, Thomas being the fifth. He was educated in England and learned the blacksmith trade under his father. He came to the United States in May, 1842, landing at New York City. In the same year, he located for work at Queenstown, Canada, where he plied his trade for a year and a half, when, having married Margaret J. McDonough, of Stamford, Canada, he removed and settled at that place. Mrs. Black [sic] is the youngest of a family of six children of Henry and Elizabeth McDonough. She was born in Rochester, N. Y., on the 29th of December, 1827. Thomas and Margaret Brown have had a family of fourteen children, only five of them are living at this time (January, 1883). John F., Millicent Elizabeth and Henry T. Brown were born at Stamford, Canada. The daughters Millicent and Elizabeth died at same place. The family then, in 1848, removed to Lockport, N. Y., where were born Mary L., Thomas and George A. Brown, and where Thomas died. The family came to Marshall in 1854, after which seven children were added Julia E., Agnes A., Harriet Dee., Annette, Jennie, Maggie and Timothy Brown; of these, Agnes and Harriet are living. George A. Brown died in Westfield, Ill., on the 18th of January, 1876. He was a rising physician, and his death was deeply felt by the family and the community. Frank is married to Miss Mollie Briscoe, Henry is married to Miss Jennie Esinger, Mary is married to E. Tinsman, Agnes is married to A. Matthews, and Harriet is married to Goerge Collins. Mr. Thomas Brown is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Masonic fraternity. Mrs. Browns parents were of foreign birth, the father born on the Isle of Jersey, 1797, and the mother in Ireland, 1798. The father, Henry McDonough, is a relative of Commodore McDonough, and for several years was a member of the British Regular Army, occupying the position of Band Master. After marrying in Montreal, Canada, he severed his connection with the army, and removed to Plattsburg, N. Y., where their two oldest children, Louisa and Julia, were born. The family then removed to Sacketts Harbor, where were born three children Mary, Catherine and William H. McDonough. They then removed to Rochester, N. Y., where Mrs. Brown was born and where the father died in 1830. The mother came to Marshall with Mr. Brown in 1854, but returned to Stamford, Canada, in 1861, where she died the year following.
Marshall. Among the pioneer settlers of Marshall Township is the family of Abel and Margaret English, both of whom are natives of New Jersey. Abel English was born in 1797, grew to manhood, married, and lived there until 1835. He was married March 6, 1819, to Miss Margaret Babcock. She was born June 17, 1801. In 1835, they removed West and located for two years in Indiana, coming to Illinois in 1837. They settled in Marshall Township, two miles north of Marshall. Mr. English was local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was the leading spirit in the organization of the first society ever organized in Marshall. The influence of his life and molding of his plastic hand are still felt and seen in the community in which he lived. He died on the 11th of November, 1844, and is buried in the Livingston Cemetery. Mrs. Margaret English survived him by twelve years, and died at the old homestead on the 2d of March, 1857. Isaac English is the second of the family of thirteen children, of whom but six are still living. He was born in New Jersey on the 20th day of September, 1821, and was sixteen years old when the family came to Illinois. He became a member of the first Methodist Episcopal society of Marshall, and assisted in the preparing and hauling the material for the first church built in the town. He was married in Marshall, February 29, 1844, to Miss Sarah E. Black, daughter of John and Sarah Black, who came to Clark County in 1839. They were of Irish birth, married on the 4th of February, 1813. They had a family of seven children, of whom Mrs. English is the youngest. John Black was born December 25, 1785, and died in Marshall, Ill., October 1, 1865. Sarah (Cooper) Black was born January 17, 1788, and died in Marshall April 8, 1868. Sarah E. English was born near Zanesville, Ohio, February 2, 1827. They have raised a family of twelve children, the oldest of whom is dead. Martha A. English was born January 7, 1846, and was married to Mr. Huston, of Terre Haute, where she died September 28, 1882; John A. English, born August 21, 1847, married to Marietta Clemmins; Mary E. English, born May 28, 1850; Sarah M. English, born April 4, 1852, and married to John Grisham; James G. English, born November 11, 1853, married to Katie Barnett; Isaac W. English, born December 29, 1856; Warden B. English, born February 29, 1859; Charles T. English, born December 29, 1861; Robert B. English, born December 6, 1863; Carrie C. English, born September 1, 1869; Edwin P. English, born August 12, 1871.
County Sherriff, Marshall, was born in Vigo County, Ind., May 15, 1849. He is a son of Jehu and Eliza Farr, who came to Clark County, Ill., early in the settlement of Wabash Township. Jehu Farr was a native of Fayette County, Penn., born in 1811. He was married in Vigo County, Ind., July 23, 1837, to Miss Eliza A. Sturgis. She is a daughter of John Sturgis, of Indiana born 1818. They have raised a family of eight children, of whom Jacob is the fourth. He was principally raised in Clark County and educated in the common schools of same, and by trade a farmer. He was married, September 14, 1882, to Miss Lena R. Setzer, daughter of John Setzer, of Wabash Township, where she was born December 17, 1858. In 1882, November 7, Mr. Farr was elected to the office of Sheriff of Clark County, on the Republican ticket. He owns a farm of 120 acres, in Section 19, of Wabash Township. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Honor.
Deceased, was born December 6, 1800, in Warren County, Ohio. He received an education at the public schools, and early fitted himself for teaching, which occupation he followed for some time. He then prepared for the profession of law, studying in Cincinnati under Judge McLean, who was subsequently a member of the United States Supreme Court. In 1825, he came back to Illinois, took part in the Black Hawk war as a Lieutenant, and was subsequently elected by the Legislature as Judge of one of the four judicial circuits in the State. He was elected a member of the Convention which framed the constitution of 1847, and in the following year was elected Circuit Judge under its provisions, an office which he filled with great acceptance until 1861. In the following year, he was appointed by President Lincoln Indian Agent, a position he filled until he was removed by Andrew Jackson in 1866. In 1873, he was elected and served the county as County Judge until 1877. Public service interfered very much with his practice as a lawyer, but when at liberty to do so he found no lack of business. He did not accumulate property rapidly, as his generosity to his clients and leniency to his debtors made his interests suffer in this regard. He was married March 4, 1832, to Miss Lucinda Hogue, a daughter of David and Sarah Hogue. She was born October 4, 1812, in Knox County, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Harlan had a family of eight children, and it was while visiting a daughter living in Kentucky, that Judge Harlan died, on March 12, 1879, in the seventy-ninth year of his life. He was a man of fine public and private character, and his death was felt as a serious loss in the community where he had spent the larger part of his active life. His wife and children still survive him.
Hotel, Marshall, is the eldest of a family of eight children of Justin and Lucinda Harlan. He was born at Darwin on the 19th of Sept, 1832. He received an English education in the public schools of Darwin and Marshall, and began life for himself as a lumberman. He was engaged in the milling work from 1854 to 1858. He began the livery business in Marshall in 1859, and continued until 1863, during which time he erected a frame stable 120 feet long, corner of Hamilton and Market streets. He was appointed Postmaster at Marshall under Lincolns administration, and served until removed by Andrew Johnson, in October, 1866. He next associated himself with Alex Payne in the old Marshall Mill, continued one year, selling his interest to W. T. Besser. In 1868, he again engaged in the livery business, and in 1871 erected the brick stable and hall on the site of the original frame stable. In 1876, he embarked in the hotel business, having become the owner of the Sherman House in 1873, and is the present owner and proprietor, in connection with which he runs the livery stable. He was married in Marshall in November, 1877, to Miss Joann Triplett, of Ohio; she was born in 1856. Our own experience has taught us that Mr. Harlan is a true gentleman, who can forget the interest of self to extend a kindness, and do a hospitable act for a stranger.
Farmer, P. O. Marshall, is the third son of Justin and Lucinda Harlan. He was born in Clark County February 15, 1838, and was raised and educated in this county. In 1859, he entered the office of Judge Scholfield as a law student. In December, 1860, he went to Cincinnati to attend law lectures, but soon after sacrificed his ambition in the legal line to take his place in the lines of his countrys defenders. He enlisted in Company H, of Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, of which he was soon made the Captain. He, with fifteen others, presented the petition to Gov. Yates, by which Gen. Grant was made Colonel of the Twenty-first Regiment, instead of Col. S. S. Good. Mr. Harlan served as Captain of Company H three years; he was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamagua. At the expiration of his three years enlistment, he was appointed by recommendation of Gen. Grant to the position of Captain of Commissary, which he held until discharged in October, 1865. He was a member of the Chicago Convention, which nominated George B. McClellan for President. He represented the Forty-fifth District in the Lower House of the State Legislature, from 1866 to 1868, an was then elected as Senator from same State until 1872. In 1879 and 1880, he was Mayor of the City of Marshall. Mr. Harlan was married in Marshall, October 18, 1869, to Miss Eliza Bartlett, daughter of John and Jane Bartlett; she is a native of Clark County, and was born September 3, 1841. Mr. Edward Harlan is a member of the Knights of Honor, and in politics a Democrat.
Marshall, is native of Richland County, Ohio. He was born October 26, 1826. He is the twelfth of a family of thirteen children, of whom but two are now living. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth Jumper, were each natives of Pennsylvania, and both died in the State of Ohio. Simon Jumper was raised in Ohio, and educated principally in Finley and Republic Colleges. He read medicine under Drs. Collin & Rawson, of Ohio, and became a pupil in the Medical Department of the Ann Arbor University in 1853. In 1855, he located at Darwin, in Clark County, Ill, for the practice of his profession, where he continued with marked success until 1881, when he retired from practice and removed to Marshall. Mr. Jumper was married in York Township, December 12, 1859, to Miss Mary E. Besser, daughter of Bates and Huldah Besser. Her parents are among the early settlers of Clark County, and more particularly of York Township, where she was born August 21, 1838. They have a family of six children, of whom but three are living. Their names and ages are as follows: Effie E. Jumper, born in Darwin Township, November 17, 1860; Jennie Jumper, born in Darwin Township, November 2, 1862; Lillie May Jumper, born in Darwin Township, January 13, 1866; Cora Jumper, born March 2, 1868, and died July 20, 1870. Mr. Jumper is a Royal Arch Mason. He and wife and one daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Marshall. Family residence on corner of Main and Fulton streets, Marshall.
Merchant, Marshall, the subject of these lines is a son of F. E. and M. L. Leseure. He was born in St. Marys, Vigo County, Ind., on the 25th day of December, 1853, and is the youngest of a family of six children, of whom one, Prosper P. Leseure, is dead. When he was quite small, his parents settled in Edgar County, Ill., where they remained until 1861, when they removed to Terre Haute, Ind., where they continued until the spring of 1864, when they again moved, this time settling in Douglas Township, Clark County. Emanuel began life as a merchant in 1873. He came to Marshall in March, 1880, where he embarked in the dry goods trade, which he still pursues and is doing an extensive business in his line. He is located on south side of Main street. He was married in Auburn Township, Clark County, on the 17th of April , 1873, to Miss Harriet Hurst, daughter of John and Martha Hurst. She is a native of Clark County, Ill., and was born November 22, 1856. Their family consists of four children Frances
Oliver P. Liston
Railroad agent, Marshall, is a native of Coles County, Ill., born October 4, 1854. He is a son of Andrew J. and Lucy A. (Black) Liston. His grandfather, Joseph Liston, is said to have been the first white settler, and plowed the first furrow in Vigo County, Ind. Olivers father was born in Knox County, Ind., on the 2d of March, 1815, and his mother, Lucy A. Black, was born in Clark County, Ill., February 16, 1819. She is a daughter of John Black, who, with his brothers, settled on farms in Clark County, in 1819, which are still owned by them and their heirs. She was married to Andrew Liston on the 8th of March, 1838, and they lived in Clark County until 1850, when they moved to Coles County, Ill., where Oliver was born, and where they still live. Oliver P. Liston is the eighth of their family of nine children, and was raised and educated in Coles County, Ill. At the age of sixteen, he entered a railroad office, and has been in railroad employ continuously ever since. The past eight years, or since 1874, he has had charge of the office of the Wabash Railroad of Marshall. April 4, 1877, he was married to Miss Lizzie J. Killie, daughter of Henry B. and Mary A. Killie. She was born in Marshall January 20, 1860. Her father was born in Ohio April 2, 1832, and married Mary A. Mark, November 15, 1855. He was a member of Company F, Seventy-ninth Illinois Regiment. He received a wound in the head, from which he died January 23, 1863. Her mother was born in Marshall January 17, 1834, and is now the wife of George P. Hippard. Mr. and Mrs. Liston have two children, one of whom is dead Floza, born March 16, 1878, and Cora Bell, born February 22, 1881, and died July 12 of the same year. He is a member of the Knights of Honor.
John H. Miller
of the firm of Gray & Miller, undertakers, Marshall, Ill. In an early day, the Millers came from Germany and settled in Pennsylvania. About 1767, Martin was born in Pennsylvania. He married twice, each time marrying a daughter of Samuel Hess. He moved to Ohio in 1807, and to Pike County, Ill., in 1824, where he died at an old age. His son, Martin, by his first marriage, was born in Pennsylvania April 28, 1791. Moved to Ohio, near Cincinnati, in 1807, where he married Catharine Mitchell in 1812. She was born in Pennsylvania January 6, 1791. Her father, John Mitchell, of German ancestry, was born in 1758. At the age of seventeen, he entered the Revolutionary war and served seven years, a good portion of the time a prisoner of war, confined in England. At the close of the war, he landed in Boston, married a young widow near Pittsburgh, Penn.; moved to Ohio, then to Indiana, near Indianapolis, where she died in 1838, aged eighty-four years, and he died in 1847, aged eighty-nine years. Martin and Catherine moved to Clark County, Ind., in 1824, and to Clark County, Ill., in 1852, and to Cumberland County, Ill., in 1858, where he died October 11, 1870, and she died February 6, 1877. Their son Emanuel, the third of a family of ten children, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, February 9, 1818; moved to Clark County, Ind., in 1824, where he married Nancy Hutchings, August 2, 1838. Nancy, the daughter of Esrom and Polly Hutchings, was born in Clark County, Ind., August 9, 1821. Her father was born in Virginia in 1790. His father, Joseph, was a Virginian. Esrom married Polly Fifer, in Clark County, Ind., in 1815. Polly was the daughter of Christian and Catherine Fifer, nee Headricks, of Pennsylvania. Esrom and Polly moved to Clark County, Ill., in 1856, where they both died in the winter of 1865-66. Emanuel and Nancy Miller moved to Clark County, Ill., October 11, 1844, and purchased a large farm, upon which they still reside. They had five children: William A., Mary E., Sarah E., John H., and Stephen A. Stephen A. died in 1856. William A., a member of Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois Volunteers, was killed at the battle of Perryville, Ky., October 8, 1862. He was brought home and interred in the family cemetery. Mary E. died in 1866. Sarah E. and John H. are still living. The subject of our sketch was born in Dolson Township, Clark County, Ill., June 24, 1852, where he received the advantages of a common school education, and in 1870 became a student in Westfield College, remaining three years, making a specialty of the teachers course; followed teaching for about seven years, and in conjunction with his profession superintended the management of his farm in Dolson Township. He taught one year near Tuscola, Douglas County, and taught six terms in one district in Marshall Township, Clark County. He was married in Dolson Township, by Rev. J. L. B. Ellis, October 5, 1876, to Miss Sarah Lycan, daughter of Jacob G. and Mary Lycan, nee Lockard. They were among the first settlers of Dolson Township. They are still living, and celebrated their golden wedding November 2, 1882. Sarah was born in Dolson Township, October 5, 1858. They have two sons Walter Arthur, born September 15, 1877; Milo Ralph, born November 20, 1880. Mr. Miller lost his health by teaching school. He rented his farm and moved to Marshall August 15, 1882, and engaged in the undertaking business, associating with Lote Gray, who has been in the business for more than six years. They are proprietors of the Marshall wagon yard, on Cumberland street, where they have built a new shop for their undertaking. Hearse free for every funeral. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Miller has bought property since he came to town, and is making preparations to erect a fine dwelling. His health has so improved that he has decided to make Marshall his home.
Samuel C. Prevo
Merchant, Marshall. Among the merchants who have taken position in the front rank is the subject of these lines, Samuel C. Prevo. He was born in Clark County, Ill., in York Township, on the 27th day of August, 1847. He is the second of a family of six children of Henry and Amy Prevo. He was raised in this county, in which he received a common school education. In 1870, he graduated from the Terre Haute Business College, and began life as a merchant. He first opened a general store in York of this county, where he continued until 1877. He then engaged in farming for a few years, but came to Marshall in 1881, where he opened an extensive stock of dry goods and clothing, and where he now has a store of which Marshall can be proud. While Mr. Prevo has had flattering success in business, his domestic life has not been all sunshine. Death has removed a wife, to whom he was married February 1, 1872. Her name was Eliza Kelly, daughter of James Kelly, formerly of New York City, where she was born September 15, 1850. She died at York, this county, May 11, 1873, leaving a daughter, Alice Prevo, who was born in York, November 27, 1872. Mr. Prevo was married to his present wife, Emma Hogue, on the 7th day of September, 1876. She is a daughter of Jonathan and Tamar Hogue, and was born in Clark County on the 19th of April, 1855. They have buried one son, Randal Prevo, who was born March 4, 1880, and died July 31st of the same year.
Thomas Hamilton Sutton
Marshall; first made his entry upon the stage of action at La Gro, Wabash Co., Ind., November 6, 1843. His father, Samuel Sutton, was of Scotch descent, and was born in Berks County, Penn., May 5, 1803, and died in Marshall, November 8, 1856. His mother was born near Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio, Christmas, 1808, and died also in Marshall, January 25, 1881. Her maiden name was Matilda Morrison; she was of Irish parentage, her parents emigrating to America about the year 1800. Her two elder sisters were born in Ireland, herself and a younger brother in Ohio. Samuel Sutton and Matilda Morrison were married in Rush County, Ind., April 10, 1828. The result of this union was a family of five daughters and three sons, five of whom yet survive, to-wit: Ann Archer, wife of William Archer; Amanda Cole, wife of De Lance Cole; Drue Burner, wife of Dr. S. A. Burner; Charlotte Wallace, wife of L. A. Wallace, and the subject of this sketch. His fathers family removed from Indiana to Illinois in 1848, and finally settled on the farm now owned by Jarius Quick, about two miles north of Marshall, where they remained about two years, and then removed to Marshall in March, 1851 where the family has since resided. At an early age the boy commenced to learn the "art preservative of all arts," as a roller boy in the office of the Eastern Illinoisan, working at nights and on Saturdays. What education he received was at the inferior free schools of the times, and afterward at the Marshall College, under the tutorship of the kind and estimable Christian gentleman, Rev. Elias D. Wilkin, who was then principal of the institution, and of whom he will ever maintain the liveliest feelings of gratitude, and whom he regards as his greatest benefactor. He swept out the building and built fires for his tuition, and worked in the printing office for his books. In June, 1862, he enlisted in the three months service, in Capt. Newton Harlans Company, Seventieth Illinois Infantry. The command was stationed at Camp Butler and Alton, Ill., its principal duty being to guard rebel prisoners. The company was mustered out in October, 1862, and in the following spring he entered service of the United States as a storekeeper, at Springfield, Mo., under the late Uri Manly, Captain and Quartermaster. He was afterward assigned to duty at Little Rock, Ark., where he was appointed Purchasing Agent of Government supplies, and supercargo of steamboats plying the Arkansas River. His duties at times were delicate, difficult and important, for one so young, yet he performed them to the entire satisfaction of his superiors, receiving a personal letter of commendation from Gen. Carr, Chief Quartermaster of the Army of the Southwest. In consequence of a sunstroke received in August, 1864, followed by malarial fever, he returned to his home in November, 1864. In February, 1865, he again enlisted in the army, and was elected Second Lieutenant of Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-second Illinois Infantry. He was Clerk of the Military Examining Board in Memphis, and was afterward appointed by Maj. Gen. Milroy, to take charge of the Bureau of Health and Quarantine in said city. He was mustered out in September, 1865, and returned home. In the year 1866, and a greater portion of 1867, he was a compositor in the Messenger printing office. In the early winter of 1867, he entered the County Clerks office as Deputy, and acted as such until January, 1873, when, in connection with Mr. T. W. Cole, he commenced to abstract the land titles of Clark County, and continued in said business until 1879. One year of the time, in partnership with Mr. Eth Sutton, he published the Marshall Messenger. He was for some years connected with the Terre Haute Express, writing the well known "Marshall Splinters." He served as Mayor of Marshall for four consecutive terms, covering a period of seven years. December 21, 1875, he was united in marriage to Emma Doll, daughter of the late Stephen Doll. One child, a son, was born to them, which died at the age of two years. In politics he is a Democrat, as were all his ancestry. He has twice been Secretary of State Democratic Conventions, and three times Secretary of Congressional Conventions. He is also author of the introductory part of this work, embracing the general history of Clark County.
Silas S. Whitehead
Lawyer, Marshall, is a native of Putnam County, Ind., born June 18, 1829. His father, Silas Whitehead, Sr., is remembered by all as one of the pioneers of Clark County, who while of limited education, wielded an extensive influence, and always for good. He was a man of unbounded will power and incorruptible honesty. He was born in Chatham County, N.C., near Pittsboro, May 25, 1785, and came to Clark County in the year 1830. He was for many years a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics and old-time democrat; however, never allowing his party zeal to overcome his sense of right. He died in Marshall September 25, 1855, having earned an enviable reputation as a model citizen. During the construction of the National road he was appointed by the Government as an overseer of a portion of that work. His son, Silas S. Whitehead, was educated in the common schools of Clark County, and having decided upon the profession of law entered the office of Judge Scholfield, under whom he read. He was admitted to the bar in 1862, since which time he has been in active practice. Previous to his admission (in 1853) he was elected to the office of School Commissioner, which he held for five successive terms. In 1864, he was elected to the office of States Attorney in the counties of Clark, Cumberland, Effingham, Shelby, Coles and Edgar, and was re-elected in 1868 for the counties of Clark, Crawford, Jasper, Cumberland and Effingham. This office was accepted by Mr. Whitehead, feeling it a duty which he owed the community, to use his ability in the suppression of the general outlawry that existed in those turbulent times of our countrys history. His politics is Democratic and he is a member of the I. O. O. F. Emily Young, mother of subject, descended from a Welsh family. She was born in Kentucky March 26, 1807, and was married to Silas Whitehead February 15, 1823. She died in Clark County in May, 1870. Mr. Whitehead was married in Marshall, February 12, 1857, to Miss Theresa Wood, daughter of William and Mary (Gordon) Wood, who came from Indiana to Clark County, Ill., in 1844. Mrs. Whitehead was born in Hancock County, Ind., Sept 26, 1835. Their family consists of eight children, two of whom died in infancy; the names of the surviving ones are as follows: Frank E., born April 1, 1858; Margaret E., born April 13, 1860, married to M. Ambler; George W. Whitehead, born Sept 25, 1863, married to Miss Lulu Milburn; Benjamin G., born November 15, 1869; Mary E., born April 11, 1871; Richard J., born June 1, 1874.
Farmer, P. O. Marshall, who has for many years been a resident of Wabash Township and is extensively and favorably known, was born in Virginia on the 29th of December, 1816. He is a son of Jacob T. Fishback and Sarah Wyrick. His father was a native of Virginia, and served in the Revolutionary war with commission of Captain, soon after which service he was married to Miss Sarah Wyrick, of Virginia. Their family consisted of but one son, the subject of these lines. In his chiuldhood, Jacob was adopted by his grandfather Wyrick, and with him came to Clark County, Ill., in 1830. They settled on Section 9 of Wabash Township, where his grandparents died a few years later. Here Mr. Fishback grew to manhood, having obtained the elements of an English education before leaving Virginia. On the 18th of August, 1839, he was married to Miss Rachel w. Johnson, DAUGHTER OF James W. Johnson, of Kentucky. She was born in Logan County, Ky., October 30, 1817, and came to Clark County in 1835, where she died, December 16, 1872, having raised a family of eight children. Mr. Fishback in early life learned the trade of stone-cutter and worked at this business rather extensively in the construction of the Cumberland road, and afterward on various public works. He settled where he now lives, in Section 26, in 1840. Mr. Fishback was formerly a Whig, and since their day has been a Democrat. He has served his township in the official capacity of Justice of the Peace for over twenty years, so long, in fact that few remember when the title of Squire did not apply. He has been for many years a member of the Masonic fraternity. His present wife is Martha E. Pitman, to whom he was married September 4, 1878. She is a daughter of Amos Pitman and Sarah Barr. She was born in Frederick County, Va., July 25, 1840, and came with her mother to this county in 1854, her father having died in Virginia. The mother died in Wabash Township. The record of this Fishback family is as follows: Sarah J., born October 19, 1840, and married to W. W. Wyrick; Joseph S., born October 30, 1842, married to Susan Fletcher; Jacob P., born January 1, 1845, married to Sarah C. Orndorff; James M., born April 10, 1847, married Orrel V. Adams; Elizabeth, born September 7, 1850, married to Thomas L. Orndorff; Eliza C., born January 28, 1853, married to Milton Orndorff; Mary L., born September 4, 1855, married W. W. Purcell; Alice R., born March 30, 1858, and died December 2, 1876.
Is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, born June 11, 1818; son of Robert and Ruth (Pecem) Lowry; the father a native of Washington County, Penn., and the mother born in Providence, R. I. They were married in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1811. They had a family of ten children, of whom William is the fourth. The father died in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1832. Then years later, the mother with subject and five younger children came to this county. He was married in his native county, in 1837, to Miss Martha A. McCoy. She died in June, 1841, leaving two children, namely, John Lowry and Elizabeth Moore. Mr. Lowry was married to his present wife, Sarah Jane Black, in 1847. She was born in Indiana, and is the daughter of David and Charlotte Black, who came to this county in an early day. David Black died in Wabash Township in 1863. Her mother, Charlotte Quick, a native of Connecticut, died at the residence of William Lowry in 1879. As a result of the union, there were eight children, of whom two are deceased. David William, born July 13, 1848; Robert A., October 12, 1849; Emily A., August 26, 1851, wife of Albert Lauther; Thomas, December 20, 1853, died 1855; Charlotte J., February 9, 1856; Rachel, May 10, 1858, died 1859; William A., February 25, 1860; Ruth A., May 1, 1864; Mr. Lowry assisted in the organization of Wabash Township, since which time he has served the township in official capacity for several years, as Justice of the Peace and Township Commissioner. In politics, he is connected with the Democratic party.
deceased, whose portrait appears in this book, was born March 21, 1804, in Pennsylvania, in which year he removed with his parents to Ohio. He came to Illinois in 1821, settling in the then wilds of Wabash Township, where he died February 25, 1879. He was married to Jane Hicklin. Her father, Jonathan Hicklin, was born in 1771, and died in 1877, and her mother, Jane, was born in 1769 and died in 1829. They came to this county in 1821, accompanying Henry Taylor. Her fathers family spent their first night in this country on the bare ground and in a large snow. Mr. Taylors union gave him eight children, viz.: Jane, the wife of A. Shirely; Mary A., the wife of W. B. Woods; Samuel; William H.; Robert H.; M. J., the wife of M. Badger; M. Rosetta, the wife of O. J. Hunt; John F.; Flora E., the wife of William McCann. Mrs. Taylor is enjoying good health on the old homestead, with her son John F., who was born June 15, 1844, in Clark County, Ill. He received such an education as the country schools afforded him, in those days of the log cabins. He has always strictly attended to the rural pursuits of life. He was married May 10, 1881, to Lizzie Hill, a daughter of Rev. Robert H. and Mary (Woods) Hill. The result of this union has been one child William F. Mr. Taylor is a stanch Republican. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
William H. Thompson
Farmer. P. O. Box, Marshall. There are but few families in Clark County whose connections with the county have been of longer duration or of greater benefit than the name under consideration. Daniel Thompson was born in Virginia December, 1801, and was removed, with his parents, Thomas and Nancy Thompson, to Kentucky, in or about 1814. Here Daniel grew to a man, and married Miss Ruannah Hughes, daughter of Ishmael and Susan Hughes. She was born in Virginia in 1809. They came to Clark County and entered land in Wabash Township in 1827, and here the father died on the 12th of March, 1873. The mother has since married Stephen Archer, who is another of the county's pioneers. Daniel and Ruannah Thompson had a family of ten children, some of whom are among the substantial farmers of Wabash Township. William H., the third of the family, was born in this county on the 22d of December, 1829. His early education consisted of such school advantages as were to be obtained in the pioneer log schoolhouses. He was married, September 2, 1852, to Miss Sarah Edgerton, daughter of Cyrus and Roxanna Edgerton. She was born in Vigo County, Ind., on the 24th of November, 1832. Their family consists of fourteen children, of whom seven are deceased. William C., born June 24, 1853; Mary F., born August 8, 1854; Daniel, born January 15, 1856; Cyrus, born July 1, 1858; Henrietta, born August 26, 1859; Josephine, deceased, born August 24, 1861; John D., deceased, born November 2, 1862; Emily J., deceased, born January 29, 1864; Aaron S., deceased, born May 20, 1865; Archie, born December 25, 1869; Amy A., deceased, born August 28, 1871; Oliver R., deceased, born March 27, 1873; Hattie, deceased, born March 25, 1875. Mr. Thompson owns a farm of 240 acres in Section 25, of Wabash Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
W. A. Kline
Farmer, P. O. Casey. William Addison Kline was born January 10, 1825, in Lancaster County, Penn., and removed with his parents to Stark County, Ohio, in 1836, remaining here until 1842, when the family came to this county and settled, and have since been identified with it. His fathers name is David Kline, born in Pennsylvania March 13, 1801, son of Michael Kline. The Kline family on their arrival in Johnson Township were composed of the parents and five children William A., Edward, Daniel, Simon, Louisa, all living save Daniel. Edward and W. A. live in this township and county. Louisa, wife of David Powers, and Simon reside in Mattoon. William A. remained at home until of age, when he was married, May 25, 1848, to Elizabeth, born February 17, 1830, in Maryland, daughter of John Cole and Eleanor Harris. She removed West to Licking County, Ohio, when about two years of age. After six years residence, she came to this county with her parents, who settled in Johnson Township, where her parents died he June 8, 1858, aged fifty-eight; she, April 1, 1873, aged seventy-four. They raised nine children, four living Oliver, Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth. Oliver resides in Edgar County; Margaret, wife of William Meadows, of same county; Mary, wife of Isaac Gross, of Champaign County. After Mr. Klines marriage, he located in this township, on the land he now owns, which he purchased from the Government. He first built a pole cabin with stick chimney, sixteen feet square, with one room; after this cabin served its time, built a hewed-log house on the same site, and in this they lived until 1876, when they built the house they now occupy, which is upon the site of the former houses. He has six children born Mary S., Henrietta, Angeline, Rice L., John W., Eddie G. Mary S. is wife of Hiram Hetherington, in Parker Township; Henrietta resides in the State of Oregon and is the wife of Edward Davis; Angeline is the wife of James Burnett; others at home. Mr. Kline has 240 acres of land, is engaged in farming and stock raising, and has been a member of the United Brethren for twenty-five years. In December, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was made Orderly Sergeant, serving in this capacity until he was commissioned as First Lieutenant, September, 1862. He came home in 1863. He was taken prisoner at Humboldt, Tenn., by Gen. Forrest, and was six months a prisoner. He is a Republican.
S. A. Fasig
Druggist, Martinsville, was born in Richland County, Ohio, February 2, 1846, to William and Elizabeth (Hibschman) Fasig. They were born in Lebanon county, Penn., he, March 13, 1801, and she August 24, 1803, and died February, 1882, and he is still living in Martinsville with our subject. They moved from Pennsylvania to Wayne County, Ohio, 1824. From Wayne County, Ohio, they moved to Richland County, 1834, and remained there till 1847; going first to the State of Missouri, but returned to Clark County almost immediately, and settled near Martinsville. By trade he was a weaver and brick-mason. In the winter time he would weaver, and during the fall lay brick, and frequently farmed during the summer. He is father of twelve children. The oldest, a daughter, was born in Pennsylvania, before their removal to Ohio. Our subject is the youngest of the family. Only three are now living Mr. Fasig and two sisters. When first coming here, Mr. Fasig bought 100 acres of improved land, within half a mile of the present incorporation, paying $3.25 per acre; but afterward entered other land in the neighborhood. Of the 100 acres, about forty of it was cleared when he bought it. Our subject was educated at the public schools of Martinsville. At the age of seventeen, he started into learning the saddlery and harness-making trade, and followed his trade in Martinsville for fifteen years, and then went into his present business of drugs and groceries in 1877. In his business he is in partnershihp with Harrison Black, now County Clerk. They carry a stock of about $4,000. and have an average yearly sale of about $12,000. He was married in Martinsville, 1865, to Miss M. E. Shaffner. She was born in Ohio August 20, 1847, to George and Susan (Curtis) Shaffnar. She was a native of Virginia, and he of Virginia also, and died in 1851, and she in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Fasig have one child Oscar born June 1, 1866. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and a Republican in politics. He has held various township offices, Supervisor, Clerk, and has been Township School Treasurer for eleven years. From 1847 to 1856, Mr. Fasig lived in a cabin, 16x18, built of logs and covered with split boards three feet long; not having nails, these boards were held down by poles laid on top across the roof; but when the wind would blow it would make openings large enough to allow the snow to drift in. This cabin had its garret, and the boys had to sleep up there; and many mornings, when waking up, they would find the bed covered with snow, and also the floor; there was then a scramble to get clothes on and down to the open fire place as soon as possible. In this house (there were five children at the time) they would hold meetings, entertain ministers and other guests. For use during meetings, they had a number of benches made, which they would carry in when the meeting was held, but would be piled up on the outside when not in use. When first coming to this county, there were no grist mills in reach; so they had to depend on the uncertainty of "the horse mill." Many times Mr. Fasigs two older brothers would fill up two bags of corn and put them across a horse each and start to mill before daylight in order to get there first, and would then often have to come home late at night with no meal. In this way they frequently were left without any meal in the house at all, and their bill of fare would be lye hominy, port, milk and potatoes.
John M. Shaffner
Farmer, P. O. Martinsville, was born in Lebanon County, Penn., December, 1839, to John B. and Mary E. (Fiddler) Shaffner. They were both bon in Lebanon county; he in 1812, she in 1818. They moved to Fayette County, Ind., 1842, and in spring of 1850 to Clark County, Ill., and settled two and one half miles east of Martinsville, where she died in 1872, he in Martinsville, 1880. They were the parents of four children, all now living. By trade he was a carpenter, but only followed it when he was a young man. His later life was spent in farming. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Fayette County, Ind., and Clark County, Ill. His occupation has always been that of farming. He has always farmed on the old homestead, renting it till his fathers death and then it feel to his part of the estate. He now has a farm of 240 acres, besides a neat residence in Martinsville. He was married in this county, 1874, to Sarah Adelia McFarland. She was born in Clark County, Ill, July 14, 1856, to William and Margaret (Dawson) McFarland. He died August, 1880. She is still living in this county. She was born in Pennsylvania, but he in Ohio. They were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Shaffner have three children, one boy and two girls Hardford, Maud and Pearl. He is a Democrat in politics.
Farmer, P.O. Oak Point. Is an old settler of Johnson Township. He was born October 8, 1809, in Essex County, New York; was the third son of Jonathan Finney, whose mother was Miranda Sacket, a native of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, of English descent. His mothers maiden name was Mary, a daughter of John Richards, whose ancestors came from Holland. Our subject removed with his parents to Penna., when he was three years of age, where the family staid one year; then came down the Ohio on a raft and located in Butler County, Ohio; here his father died. He raised a family of eight children, viz.: Damon, Ira, Haman, George, Elizabeth, Ruth, Miranda and Jonathan, all of whom lived to be grown and married. Haman, our subject, was married October 23, 1831, to Susan L., born 1813, May 5, in Butler County, Ohio, daughter of John A. White and Mary Herron, both of Loudoun County, Va. After Mr. Finneys marriage, he settled in Union County, Ind. And engaged in farming on his own account, and here lived until about 1836, when he moved across the line into Franklin County, where he bought a small place and lived here until the spring of 1842, emigrating to this State, landing on this spot April 6. He had entered 240 acres, and upon his coming he lived with a neighbor until he built a cabin, which he afterward moved into, and engaged in improving the land. He has since added to his first purchase, until he now has 400 acres, all of which he made himself. Left Indian with $35; for several years had hard times. He has been successful and has acquired a competence. He has had eleven children borne him, seven of whom are living, viz.: Jonathan S., George W., William B., Edward A., Mary J., Beulah and Josephine, all living in this county except Mary Jane, who resides in Bell Air, wife of Noah Durham; Beulah, wife of Benjamin Shoemaker; Josephine married Silas Durham. Sons all married, and live in the township; members of Universalist Church. Was Old-Line Whig, after Republican. He sent to the late war two sons and a boy he had raised; Jonathan S. and George W. enlisted in Company F., Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served over three years, and returned home unscathed. He had also a brother Jonathan who served three years in the army and never lost a days duty while in the service.
Farmer, P. O. Casey, came to the county in 1840, and has been a resident here ever since. Jacob Flint was born 1832, September 6, in Franklin County, Ind.; he was the third son of Benjamin Flint, who was born in Maryland in 1795, and removed to Franklin County, when a young man, and there married Elizabeth Bake, a Pennsylvanian, born 1800, January 22, daughter of Jacob Bake, soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Flint, the father of Jacob, engaged in farming in Indiana, and remained there until the spring of 1840, March 4, landing at the head of Painter Point, and located on land in the southwest part of the township which he had previously entered; he located his cabin in the southeast corner of Section 30, and there spent the remainder of his days. He died of milk-sick on October 27, 1849; his wife outlived him until 1878, June 14. They had seven children born; six lived to be grown, viz.: Peter, John, Jacob, Samuel, William, and Keziah; but Jacob and William now living. Jacob now represents the father, and remains on the homestead; he came here with his parents as described above, and remained on the farm until August, 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Fifty-ninth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, and served three years and over; received his discharge September, 1864; during this time, he participated in the following-named battles: first at Pea Ridge, Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, and all the battles up to the taking of Atlanta. At Stone River, he received a slight wound; aside from this, received no wounds, but contracted disease scurvy in feet and legs. Upon his return from the war, he resumed farming on the homestead, and has since remained. He was married, June 18, 1855, to Hannah, born in Ohio, 1831, July 7, daughter of William J. Shaddley and Frances his wife. He had six children, five living viz.: Albert, Clarinda, Mary, Joseph Hooker and Charles; all at home save Albert, who is doing for himself. Members of the Universalist Church. In politics, he is Republican. Subjects grandfather on his mothers side was Jacob Bake, a soldier of the war of 1812.
William T. Shadley
Farmer, P. O. Oak Point, was born January 10, 1833, in Shelby County, Ind., the fourth son and eighth child of a family of twelve children. His father was William J. Shadley, who was born September 8, 1800, in Virginia, and removed to Licking County, Ohio, when a young man, and here married, March 20, 1819, to Rebecca, born April 8, 1797, in Virginia, daughter of Joseph Francis. After his marriage, he moved to Shelby County, Ind., and here remained until the fall of 1852, when he removed with his family to this State and bought 360 acres in Johnson Township, land in Sections 33 and 28, and died here in the township October 1, 1857; his wife died October 27, of the same year. They raised a family of eleven children, viz.: Ursula, Mary, Nathaniel, Amy, James, Mahlon, Hannah, William F., Daniel, Francis and Stephen, all living save Daniel; all living in Shelby County except Hannah, Ursula, Mary, Amy and William F. William Francis, our subject was raised a farmer, and was eighteen years of age when he came to this county. At his majority, he was married in January 21, 1854, to Sarah C., born in Stark County, Ohio, eldest daughter (and child) of John S. Slusser by his wife Nancy Montgomery. After Mr. Shadleys marriage, he located on a piece of land given him by his father, and engaged in farming, and has since remained. He has now 265 acres of land, all in this township. He has six children living, eight were born; the living Viola (wife of John A. Thorp), John, Hanan, Frank, Mary and Nevada; deceased were Dayton and an infant daughter. Mr. Shadley has two sisters in this township Hannah, Mrs. Jacob Flint; Mary, wife of Jacob Neighbarger, Ursula E., resides in Casey, wife of Thomas Bless; Amy lives in Jasper County, wife of John Foutz. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, he is a Republican.
J. S. Slusser
Farmer, P.O. Oak Point. This gentleman was born September 16, 1812, in Adams County, Penn., and emigrated to Stark County, Ohio, with his parents, when two years of age. His father's name was Henry Slusser, a Pennsylvanian, son of Philip Slusser, a native of Germany. Our subject's mother was a Slusser also; her name was Mary, daughter of John Slusser. Henry Slusser settled near Canton, in Stark County, where he entered his land; remained here until his death, which occurred about the year 1822. His wife survived and was afterward married to another man, David First, and afterward moved to Indiana and died there in 1856, in Huntington County. He raised four children -- John S., Elizabeth, Christiana and Frederick; all lived to be grown, and raised families. John S. lived with his mother and with his uncles until he was fifteen years old, when he went with his step-father and with him learned the brickmaker's trade, remaining with him three years, after which he went for himself and hired men and contracted. He has been thrice married, first in 1834, to Nancy Montgomery, daughter of John and Sarah Montgomery, a native of Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1842, he and his wife with four children came with a wagon to this county. He had but $200, and bought 160 acres at $2, paying one-half down, in Section 28, northwest quarter. Here he built him a cabin and engaged in improving the land, and for years had a hard time and endured the hardships incident to the settlement of a new country. He lived in the log house until 1856, when he built the house he now lives in. The first floor has hewed puncheons and the door of clapboards. He has now 360 acres. His first wife died February 7, 1847. By her he had four children -- Catherine, Francisco [sp?], James A. and Thomas J. Catherine resides in this township, the wife of William F. Shadley; Francesca, wife of Dennis Foster, of this township; James A. volunteered in 1861, in Company F, Fifty-ninth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, went into the army and never returned, died of chronic diarrhea; Thomas J. resides in this township. He served in the army, was wounded and is now a pensioner. He married a second time, June 1847, Mary Schofield; she died January 28, 1868. She left seven children -- John, Morris, Oscar, Charlie, Jane, Alice, and Cecelia. All live in this county except Cecelia, who resides in Jasper County. November 3, 1870, he married his third wife, Mrs. Rachel Ream, born in Lancaster County, Penn., July 24, 1832, daughter of Abram Witwer and Elizabeth Sour. No children by the last marriage. In 1833, he cast his first vote for Jackson; after then was a Whig, since Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. E. Slusser
Farmer, P. O. Oak Point. This gentleman came of Old Pennsylvania stock, but was born in Ohio, and first beheld the light of day March 2, 1831, in Ogdensburg Township, Stark County. His father, David Slusser, was born May 30, 1808, in Pennsylvania, a son of John Slusser, who served in the Revolutionary war. The mother of our subject was Sarah Emich, who was born September 5, 1808, in the Keystone State. The children born to David Slusser and wife were Zachariah, Jeremiah, Uriah, Josiah, Mary A., Benjamin F., David M., Ann M., Harriet O., Sarah C., Lucy B. and Ezra, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. Jeremiah E., the subject of these lines, had but limited school advantages. His early boyhood was spent working on the farm with his father, and upon working on the farm with his father, and upon attaining his majority he began for himself and worked out by the month at such wages as he could obtain. September 21, 1854, he married Elizabeth Sell, a native of Stark County, where she was born, June 1, 1820, daughter of John Sell and Kate Shired, early settlers in Stark County, Mrs. Slusser being the eighth child of the family. In the spring of 1857, he resolved to better his condition, and accordingly emigrated to this State and first purchased eighty acres of land two miles south of Marshall in this county, but kept this a short time, selling it at an advance, and came to this township and purchased eighty acres in Section 33, upon which he settled and began improving the same. In 1865, he sold to William F. Shadley, and purchased 120 acres of unimproved land in the southwest quarter of section 29, costing about $13 per acre. He has since resided here, and by hard work and rigid economy he has acquired for himself a good home. For several years he ran a thrashing machine and at the same time conducting his farm successfully. Mr. Slusser had three brothers Uriah, David M. and Benjamin F. who served in the late war. Uriah served in the Seventy-first, and was found dead at his post while on picket duty. David M. and Benjamin F. served in the Fifty-ninth Regiment. David M. served in all the battles with his regiment and died at Springfield, before reaching home; Benjamin F. was the only one that came home alive. Living in this county are J. E., Ezra and Celestia, the latter the wife of Wesley Kitchen of Marshall. Josiah resides in Cumberland County with his father, who came here in 1859. Mr. Slusser has three children Martha, Clara L. and Simon. Martha resides in Elk County, Kan., wife of Isaac Smith. Simon L. married December 17, 1882, Martha, daughter of Felix Chesher, of this township. Our subject was raised in the German Reformed Church. Republican.
Thomas J. Slusser
Farmer, P. O. Oak Point, is the eldest son living of John S. Slusser. He was born April 19, 1842, in Stark County, Ohio, and removed to this township with his parents when a babe. He has since been a resident of this township. He was brought up on his fathers farm, where he lived until he was about twenty-six years of age. He had common school advantages and assisted his father on the farm. In August, 1861, he was among the number who went out in response to the National call, and enlisted for three years in Company F, Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until September, 1863, when he was discharged on account of wounds received at the battle of Stone River, in December, 1862. He was in the battle of Pea Ridge, Ark., and Perryville. His wound was in the left thigh, with piece of shell, and he was also shot in the left shoulder, with minie ball, and now draws a pension from the Government. Upon his discharge, he returned to his fathers, where he remained until marriage, which was November 28, 1867, to Rebecca, born in Orange Township, this county, January 26, 1848, the fourth daughter of Thomas L. Baker and Lucy Fancher, who were early settlers in this county, from Ohio. The same year Mr. Slusser was married, he located on the farm he now owns, having 120 acres. He has three children Evert, Frederick, and Gracie G. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is Steward of the Church. Politics, Republican.