GEORGE H. CLAPSADDLE
George H. Clapsaddle, residing on section 24, Paw Paw Township, and owning 160 acres theron, is a son of George A. and Nancy (Bellinger) Clapsaddle, and was born in Frankfort, Herkimer Co., N.Y., March 17, 1821. His father was a farmer by occupation, and George was brought up on the farm, alternating his labors theron by attendance at the common schools, until he attained the age of 17 years. On attaining that age, he was apprenticed to learn the shoemaker's trade, which he followed for two years, mastered and followed more or less until 1850. During that year he came to Paw Paw Township, this county, and in the fall purchased the farm he at present owns and on which he resides. The land was in its natural condition, and after purchasing it from the Government, Mr. C. at once entered upon its improvement, and by energetic labor has placed it in the excellent condition it is in at this time.
Mr. Clapsaddle was married in Erie Co., N.Y., Oct. 1, 1855, to Miss Clarissa, daughter of Abram and Electra (Whitney) Snook. She was born in Lenox, Madison Co., N.Y., June 4, 1832, and is the mother of the following children: Lelia M., born March 12, 1863, died Sept. 4, 1875; Alvin G., born July 9, 1866, died Oct. 27, 1867; John H., born Feb, 20, 1869, died Jan. 9, 1870; Alvin A., born March 29, 1871.
Politically, Mr. C. has been identified with the Democratic Party all his life. Religiously, Mrs. C. is a member of the Baptist Church. [Portrait and Biographical Album of De Kalb County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers (Chicago), 1885, p.567.]
Bio submissions from: Terry R. Todd, 1650 Shadydale Lane, Placerville, CA 95667, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org